Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wildstar: Aw yeah, an MMO that's actually interesting!  (Read 4023 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wildstar: Aw yeah, an MMO that's actually interesting!
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 07:45:49 pm »

I will warn you about the paths

For the most part they are really boring... The Settler, for example, does nothing but grind, the explorer just walks long distances, and the scientist is sort of a combination of the two... And the soldier grinds but occasionally has a few interesting things to do.

I chose settler because it sounded like the more interesting path, but found that it was just a bunch of smoke and mirrors. There to LOOK like you are installing improvements and building bases, but not actually doing so.

The paths are not well developed enough in my opinion because they are too ultra-distilled.

---

Why am I saying this?

Because dear goodness chose the path carefully! it is the difference between being extremely bored and actually feeling like you are doing something.

---

Also yeah I also found myself completely losing interest in this MMO after the extremely long tutorial (4 hour tutorial seriously?).

I've noticed it to be a pattern where MMOs basically do nothing to try to draw you in, often providing very little-no narrative at all.

It worked in the early MMOs but that was because early MMOs were about exploration (Heck Ultima Online is rather unique in that in spite of being an RPG, you don't progress all that far in the game.)... But without anyone to really play this with what am I playing this for? I have better RPGs.

I am confused, if all the paths suck, why is it important to choose the right one?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 07:52:17 pm »

man take a look at the male and female granoks, and drakken. Something's kinda wrong there, what with the sexual dimorphism biased towards the male gaze, and the hips and waist ratio of a rob liefield drawing. Honestly, I wouldn't be so :I about it if the male granoks and drakken weren't so distant from the human bodytype in comparison to the females.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 03:18:23 am »

Picked this game up because I enjoyed the beta and so far it's like WoW 2.0, except even more cartoonish (and I'm a big fan of the animations and cutscenes). Crafting is pretty enjoyable too (I picked up tailor), and there's a crafting class dedicated to housing (architect).

A note about paths... Just choose one that reflects your personality. I had fun with scientist and despite the shortcomings of the settler path I actually enjoy it too! The buffs that settlers are useful and I've gotten random shoutouts in the zone chat for maintaining structures.

Amber Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrrr?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:57 pm »

Does anyone possibly have an extra guest pass i could have? I would really love to try out this game. It would make my day.:) Please pm me if you do

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 09:55:17 am »

Gave a guest pass to Amber Wolf and I still have two left. Anyone else wanna try Wildstar out?

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2014, 09:59:06 am »

I've got some as well, PM if wanted.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2014, 01:03:42 pm »

I was too lazy to pick up a beta key (even though I could just have printed one at work) but I've sort of tempted to try this thing out. It's pretty much a guarantee that I'll only play for how long the pass lasts, maybe sub for 1 month at the most, and then my interest will have petered out. Still, if guest passes are readily available I'll take one :)

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2014, 01:49:50 pm »

I was too lazy to pick up a beta key (even though I could just have printed one at work) but I've sort of tempted to try this thing out. It's pretty much a guarantee that I'll only play for how long the pass lasts, maybe sub for 1 month at the most, and then my interest will have petered out. Still, if guest passes are readily available I'll take one :)

Check your PM!

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2014, 08:27:19 pm »

I'd love to give it a try if anyone has guest passes still. Been burned enough times with MMOs to want to try this one before taking the plunge and buying it. >.>

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 07:53:55 am »

Pm'd ya one feralferret

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2014, 03:41:41 am »

So, apparently guest passes are region specific? Guess mine will go unused then, but thanks for the attempt :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2014, 03:54:35 am »

I am confused, if all the paths suck, why is it important to choose the right one?

Because a REALLY boring path is really boring.

matusel3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2014, 06:28:02 pm »

Does anyone have an extra code for access to this game?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2014, 04:45:50 am »

Been playing this obsessively for the past three weeks, and am convinced I will never return to any of the MMOs I used to play, due to newly heightened expectations. We have a cozy and helpful little guild of hipsters in the Dominion on Orias, and are looking for quality folks to join us if anyone is interested. We may also head to Evindra on occasion for some more likely than not very softcore, playful RP sessions. :D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:47:51 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2014, 06:21:40 am »

Been playing this obsessively for the past three weeks, and am convinced I will never return to any of the MMOs I used to play, due to newly heightened expectations. We have a cozy and helpful little guild of hipsters in the Dominion on Orias, and are looking for quality folks to join us if anyone is interested. We may also head to Evindra on occasion for some more likely than not very softcore, playful RP sessions. :D

So what makes it different compared to others then?
Judging from the trailer it looks ok but what makes it so special in your opinion?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 [2]