Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First Attempt At Creature Design : Requesting Help  (Read 1744 times)

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Attempt At Creature Design : Requesting Help
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:40:46 am »

I'm hoping for help with this. This is my first attempt at making a creature, and since it isn't loading into the game, I must have done something wrong along the way.

Also, I'm trying to make them playable in fortress and adventure mode, though I really have no interest in playing them in fortress mode.
The files have been placed in the right folders with the other raws, so I don't believe that is the problem.

creature_gargoyle.txt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I added the adventure tokens and just copy/pasted the dwarf entity text in the entity_default.txt as the first entry, changing adventure tier to 4. Maybe that's where the problem is?

entity_default.txt 

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

lanp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Attempt At Creature Design : Requesting Help
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 11:00:52 am »

If you don't plan on playing them in fortress mode just make a new file called entity_gargoyle.txt with these as the contents. It would be best for compatibility with other mods if you avoid editing the default files when possible.

As for the creature file, make sure the first line is creature_gargoyle and then [OBJECT:CREATURE] on the line after.

If it still won't work after this post the contents of your errorlog.txt file.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:03:51 am by lanp »

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 11:37:02 am »

I made your changes, and it works in the test arena!

I'll see if the world gen creates them or if I can use them in Adventure mode.

I noticed one error I had in the entity file, which was not changing the ENTITY to something unique. I had it as [ENTITY: MOUNTAIN]

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 11:50:23 am »

Alright! They work in adventure mode, now. I can play them as an outsider.

Another few questions:

1.) If I want them to be allowed as Civs during world gen, how should I write that up? Or is playing them as an outsider the closest I'll get?

2.) If I decide I don't care if they are playable, I can delete the entity file and just make sure they have a biome token, and they should populate the world during world gen, right?

3.) If I want to get more damage out of their claws, teeth and horns, should I change the tissue type to something other than ivory, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks for your patience and help. I've been cruising the modding forums for a few days, and there are a few things that still don't quite click in my head.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »

1. I tend to just copy - paste the Dwarf entity, and then change the necessary tags while keeping the structure. Here are the tokens : http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Entity_token

2. Correct! :)

3. You can change the tissue type indeed. You can also alter the Gargoyles to be stronger themselves, e.g. add the line [PHYS_ATT_RANGE:STRENGTH:500:1050:1300:1800:2200:2700:3500] in their creature file. You can also just increase the velocity of such an attack - [ATTACK_VELOCITY_MODIFIER:3] will increase the attack damage as it will insinuate the Gargoyle is attacking three times as quickly with these parts. Simply add it under an attack.

EDIT : You can also edit a creature's specific tissues to make a Gargoyle's Ivory much harder than regular Ivory, but I can't remember how to do this off the top of my head.

Please correct me if I am wrong people! :)

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 01:10:45 pm »

Cool, thanks for the response! I feel like I'm getting a fairly solid handle on how this works.

One question I have, is that I've noticed in Adventure Mode the creatures are lacking some skills, like Swordsman, Axeman, Lasher, and whatnot. Why is that happening?

Also, in Adventure Mode, the creature begins without a backpack. Is this normal? It did start as an outsider.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 01:17:07 pm »

redpikeman, if you want to round out the fortress mode version, be sure to add something like

Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]

to the MOUNTAIN entity.  That will allow Dwarven caravans to arrive.  (Those example thresholds are copied from the Elves.)

Also, I believe outsiders always spawn naked... so no backpack seems correct.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 01:29:46 pm »

Cool, thanks for the response! I feel like I'm getting a fairly solid handle on how this works.

One question I have, is that I've noticed in Adventure Mode the creatures are lacking some skills, like Swordsman, Axeman, Lasher, and whatnot. Why is that happening?

Also, in Adventure Mode, the creature begins without a backpack. Is this normal? It did start as an outsider.

Not sure about the skills. Have you given them hands so they can wield weapons? Are they big enough to wield weapons? :)

EDIT : I've had a look at the entity and creature file. Everything seems fine. :s Can they use weapons in arena mode fine? :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:34:59 pm by Korbac »

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 02:03:32 pm »

Strange - it appears that the Human Outsider is also unable to up the same skills as the Gargoyle Outsider in Adventure Mode. I'm guessing this is a result of being an outsider, as when I choose to be a human, elf, or dwarf of any civilization, I'm given the options to increase the missing skills.

I was able to use weapons with the gargoyles, and pretty well, despite having no training through the character creation screen.

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »

redpikeman, if you want to round out the fortress mode version, be sure to add something like

[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:1]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]

to the MOUNTAIN entity.  That will allow Dwarven caravans to arrive.  (Those example thresholds are copied from the Elves.)

Also, I believe outsiders always spawn naked... so no backpack seems correct.

Thanks! Added code to the entity file.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 02:17:19 pm »

Thanks! Added code to the entity file.
Didn't think of it immediately, but I suppose that text belongs in the new entity as well if you want gargoyle caravans to show up when you're playing something other than gargoyles.  As is, the gargoyles can use wagons which will help them bring lots of stuff.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 03:04:40 pm »

The only weird error I'm getting so far is an "Unrecognized Color Token: 1" after adding the new coding, but otherwise it works!

Going to try adding stone skin... we'll see how that flies.

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 03:15:00 pm »

Okay. So to add stone skin --- I know it deals with these lines of code:

Or at least, I'm guessing. I think I want to use the material template for stone. I'm not quite sure how to write that up. Anyone know how that would be done?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 03:20:50 pm »

Okay. So to add stone skin --- I know it deals with these lines of code:

Or at least, I'm guessing. I think I want to use the material template for stone. I'm not quite sure how to write that up. Anyone know how that would be done?

This is what I used when I tried to make stone skin:

[SELECT_TISSUE:SKIN]
[TISSUE_NAME:rocky surface:rocky surfaces]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:30]
[INSULATION:100]
[PAIN_RECEPTORS:0]
(snip)
[SELECT_MATERIAL:SKIN]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:INORGANIC:GRANITE]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:PINK:1:PALE_PINK:1:TAUPE_GRAY:1:GRAY:3]
[TLCM_NOUN:granite surface:SINGULAR]

Even with that high relative thickness, weapons and dog bites seem to pierce the skin regularly.  So, I'm not certain this is 100% correct... but it does work without errors.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:25:48 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 03:36:38 pm »

That just goes right into the creature file, right?

Strange that dogs could break the skin with granite and greater thickness.
Pages: [1] 2