Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First Attempt At Creature Design : Requesting Help  (Read 1742 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: First Attempt At Creature Design : Requesting Help
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 03:47:22 pm »

That just goes right into the creature file, right?

Strange that dogs could break the skin with granite and greater thickness.
Yes, that goes into the raws for the creature.  Just be sure to replace any existing references to the SKIN layer outside of the vertebrate standard thingie.  In my case I wanted to make sure a cornered miner with a pick stood a decent chance of surviving an encounter, so I didn't troubleshoot the thin skin problem too much.  Someone with more experience modding creatures could probably do a better job explaining what happened.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 04:23:40 pm »

What do the RELATIVE tags mean? If you put RELATIVE 30 in, does it become 30 times as thick as regular skin, or as the arbitrary '1' thickness tissue?

You could always try making it thicker, or just manually adding in your own yield values and such. I made a minotaur once with skin that had the properties of bronze, but was still called 'skin' and bled etc. I also made it's leather just as good so you could have OP leather armour. ^_^

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

So I'm trying to turn the claws and horns to steel now. Just because I want to know how that's done.

Currently, I have this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So I think it changes in here, my guess is using the inorganic_metal.txt with the tags [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE]

I haven't tried this - I'm hoping someone here knows how write it up properly.

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »

Here is what I've tried. The creature loads alright, but I'm not sure how to tell if I've really transmuted their ivory claws to steel.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:42 pm »

I must confess you're getting beyond my knowledge now. Is there any reason you've used

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HORN:METAL_TEMPLATE]          ****
      [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:METAL_TEMPLATE:TOOTH_TEMPLATE]    ***

? To me, this reads as the HORN body area is made out of generic METAL, but the METAL is made out of ordinary TOOTH?

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 06:11:23 pm »

Yeah - I'm not sure, that's my wild guess.

Basically I just started replacing references to IVORY with metal, and using METAL_TEMPLATE where the ivory templates were.

This is most likely wrong, given that I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing :)

Originally it read:

[USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:HORN:HORN_TEMPLATE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:IVORY:IVORY_TEMPLATE]

Which I'm pretty sure I stole from troll creature file.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 06:34:34 pm by redpikeman »

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 06:35:12 pm »

Either way, it doesn't seem to be working right, as the claw and tooth attacks barely dent a goblin's unarmored skin.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »

Maybe try something like [SELECT_TISSUE:IVORY] and then a [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLARE:METAL_TEMPLATE]? :)

I must say, thank you for posting this. As we speak I am trying to put together the robot masters from Megaman. :)

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 07:13:17 pm »

Thanks for the help with this! (Your project sounds awesome and way beyond me, btw!)

Here is something I tried, but I don't think it is working.

Here is the entire creature file as it is now, which is not working properly. (It has horns and claws, but they barely dent skin on goblins.)

Here is the Error Log I get:

So I've gotten a CLAW tissue confused somewhere...

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 07:23:25 pm »

From briefly looking at the b_detail_plan files, there isn't a CLAW tissue - any claws probably use the HORN tissue. Looking now...

CLAW actually uses the NAIL tissue, so that's probably what you want to look at. :)

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 07:30:05 pm »

Yeah, I'm out of my depth now. It is all making more sense, but I'm not sure how to fix this.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:59 pm »

Perhaps try SELECTING CLAW as a BODY PART instead of a TISSUE, as it shouldn't be regarded similar to skin/muscle/bone etc?

redpikeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 08:50:04 pm »

Still no luck, though I'm not sure how to write it up.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »

My guess is that you are making changes to the CLAW material before it's introduced through a material template.  Try moving all of the added goodies (starting right after removing the hair) and putting it just after the blood stuff.

Confusingly, a TISSUE is made from MATERIAL that often has the same name, but they are not the same thing.  It's best to start with a USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE and USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE, make any changes you need to the MATERIAL, then apply that MATERIAL to the TISSUE.

Quick attempt at a fix below.  Note that you should wrap your code in CODE tags to avoid interpreting anything that happens to have a meaning in bbcode, like LEFT and RIGHT... if you had those anywhere then you'll need to put them back in.

Hopefully that works better for you.  And like I said before, I'm not sure the skin modification is actually correct.

If you still get errors about CLAW then go back to using the tissue and material name NAIL (it means some body detail plan file somewhere referenced the nails).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 05:16:27 am »

Due to certain quirks of DF physics (creatures will always attack with full strength and will not feel pain or take damage from biting or punching hard materials), standard rock is surprisingly breakable.  You can tell if it worked based on the verb used; if attacks 'chip' or 'shatter' the skin, it's made of rock or something hard, if the word used is 'tearing' or something similar, it's still skin.
Pages: 1 [2]