Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177476 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:52:29 am »

Alright Hephaestus crew, now that you've been left on this rock to build us some stuff, I figure I might as well give you a tour of the facilitates. My wrists and arms are starting to get kinda sore from all this typing I'm doing this morning ( stuff beyond ER too) so I'm just gonna be brief, you can get more complex and descriptive descriptions later, if you want them.

Living Quarters: All your rooms and the mess hall, basically. You each have your own little rooms with beds and desks and tv's and book cases and shelves and dressers etc. Probably won't get used much.

Control room: It's the room that controls everything. Who knew, right? It can control most systems from there, but some functionality is only accessible from the source.

Subject housing:  Subjects are housed in solid metal, vibration and electrical isolated cells of varying sizes. Each cell contains the basics of survival and can be customized to easily accommodate special subjects.  I assumed that, at some point, you might create things that need to be stored away, or have cloned test subjects. Seemed reasonable.

Test range: A configurable, modular firing range and obstacle course. For testing stuff in real life. Don't test nukes or hyper destructive stuff here.

Materials testing: A series of Machines designed to subject materials to different degrees of force or various effects. Electricity, heat, cold, vacuum, pressure, etc.

Flesh pits: A rudimentary production area for organic substances and creatures. Currently not much more then a Sod production system with specially made and programmed vats which are hardwired to do nothing but create and program sods. Plenty of room for expansion.

Production lines: Right now it's empty, but it's where the newly created production systems for things invented here will be mass produced. You'll need to do some planning as to how they'll be assembled and set up the production line, but it's nothing TOO major.

VR bay:
VR machines and other virtual systems of design and use. The Tinker Dome. My personal hell.

These are what You've got so far, along with the massive materials procurement systems of the planet and existing production systems. Money is basically no issue here (in most cases) it's just a matter of time. For instance, if you wanted to do more flesh pit stuff, you'd have to expand it, which would take a while. If you wanted to add a new facility, same thing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:27:58 pm by piecewise »

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Let the testing commence.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 02:50:47 pm »

My ass is ready, PW.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:30:25 pm »

My ass is ready, PW.
FETCH THE WEASELS AND THE JELLO!

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 03:40:45 pm »

Saint's emoticon switches to a smile as he watches the fireworks, and he pats Anton on the back "Nice job on that.  A true hero's send off."

Saint then turns to Simus as his emoticon reverts to a standard face  "Do you have any objection to me moving Leo to a holding cell, and using a different cell to open my box from Nyars?  If not, that is what I will do now."

Ask Simus the above.  If she does not object, go move Leo to a holding cell, then go try to catch up with Anton and Simus' tour of the facility.  After that is done, enter one of the cells myself with my Nyars box, and open it.  Try not to die.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:54:33 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

Saint's emoticon switches to a smile as he watches the fireworks, and he pats Anton on the back "Nice job on that.  A true hero's send off."
"Yeah. We did kinda secure our first planet recently. This whole ARM thing, this rebellion, it kinda started abruptly, without fanfare - but we made the first successful step now, even if at a cost. Something worth being celebrated, if only a little. Least I can do is light up the sky."

After a pause, Anton sighs, claps his hands together, and turns around, starting to walk back into the base. "Ну-с, приступим. Let's get settled in."

Take a thorough look at the facilities. First order of business is determining how (in)adequate the fleshpits are for custom brain manufacturing. Prototyping the Artee may be a ways off, but I need to know what will be needed before it can be done at all.

Examine the production lines. Can we make amps and manipulators? We'd have to, since some weapons require them, but the question is more about making nonstandard ones.

See what we have as far as R&D support goes. The Sword had a whole R&D department - are we the only R&D here, or is there a think tank (besides Steve) that we could bother for solutions?

Go to the VR section, get the programs from my datapad backed up in the Hephaestus mainframe.

Finally, go visit the living quarters. Check if the food is any better than back on the ship, and see about acquiring some decent working clothes instead of the MkI.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:45:27 pm »

((I'd note that STE Officer (what I'm calling characters Simus allows to work on Hephaestus, if you're wondering what it means, look up STEM) living quarters got put under the control room with their own access, private VR rigs, and meeting hall. The rest of it is fine, though.))

Wie passend. Very nice touch, Anton. Welcome to your new home, guys. And uh, whatever you might have thought of me before - just to say, I probably won't be as much of a casual hardass here. After all - I don't hand-pick people I think I'm going to have a problem with, yeah? Wie in alten Zeiten ... erst jetzt besitze ich den Planeten.

And what was that about Leo, Saint? What happened, other than him being left behind - that's obvious if you want to put him in a cell.

Simus goes on the inspection tour with Anton, and puts away her phase suit and other equipment (except the pistol, 'ANUBIS-257', the multitool, and the artefacts from Nyars) in a private lockbox when she gets to the quarters - putting on a labcoat (and shoulder-holstering the pistol beneath, and pocketing the rest) instead.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 05:28:59 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:44:56 pm »

Saint tilts his head at Simus' question "You were not aware?  He attempted to set off a kiloton charge in the command center during the retaliatory boarding action.  It's a possibility that a rogue Shadow Walker or Urban Executor that we missed could have forced him into it, in which case keeping him tied in the command center is an extraordinary breach of security.  It's certainly possible that he attempted to sabotage us on his own initiative of course, but until we interrogate him -preferably through amps- we can't know for sure."

((Saint has a habit of reading any documents I think would make sense to be public.  Considering the fact that Leo's attempted terrorist action was so important, and that enough time has passed for revivifications at the least, I assumed that he could read/mindhear about it.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »

Scheiß-I hadn't heard. Yes, lock him up - for now, we'll keep him under observation. As for the possibility of a UWM loyal Shadow Walker or Urban Executor... Well, I'm not sure how we could go flushing them out, at least not for the moment. I don't like the idea of leaving something like that unattended, but we don't exactly have an army here. Yet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 06:27:59 am »

Scheiß-I hadn't heard. Yes, lock him up - for now, we'll keep him under observation. As for the possibility of a UWM loyal Shadow Walker or Urban Executor... Well, I'm not sure how we could go flushing them out, at least not for the moment. I don't like the idea of leaving something like that unattended, but we don't exactly have an army here. Yet.
"Yet, indeed. Though it might not have even happened if we had anything resembling internal security at the time. Speaking of which, we better put that on our to-do list. Steve has to literally be everywhere at once, so we can't always rely on him to be watching - we gotta post some eyes of our own around here."

"And speaking of eyes - 'I' am curious as to what we shall be doing now. I mean, I'd gladly wander off to start working on my personal projects - and I got a veritable pile of those, believe me - but we sorta got posted here to do a job, so... any idea where to start, XO?"

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 06:37:37 am »

((Simus should know one doesn't catch a saboteur with an army. You need a secret police for that. Informants, spies, surveillance, stuff like that.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 11:54:26 am »

For now, Anton, we have about six major jobs to do, in order of importance - internal security, external security, rounding up what's left of that fleet we partially captured for repairs, refits, or scrapping, bringing the equipment stocked in the Sword and other ARM ships' armouries up-to-date, then research and design - using everything at our disposal, from artefacts we might receive from Steve to things we can put together like your RT, and finally supplying the ARM with everything from ships to grenades to footsoldiers. Most of these jobs can be done in tandem, but if we've got a potential Urban Executor or Shadow Walker, then internal security takes precedence above all else.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:17 pm »

Saint then turns to Simus as his emoticon reverts to a standard face  "Do you have any objection to me moving Leo to a holding cell, and using a different cell to open my box from Nyars?  If not, that is what I will do now."

Ask Simus the above.  If she does not object, go move Leo to a holding cell, then go try to catch up with Anton and Simus' tour of the facility.  After that is done, enter one of the cells myself with my Nyars box, and open it.  Try not to die.
You put Leo in one of the smaller, human sized cells.

Now lets see about this box...
Large green hexagon with a vertical line eh?

You get what appears to be... a body suit of human skin.

Cool.

AHHHHHH

Anton Chernozorov

"Yeah. We did kinda secure our first planet recently. This whole ARM thing, this rebellion, it kinda started abruptly, without fanfare - but we made the first successful step now, even if at a cost. Something worth being celebrated, if only a little. Least I can do is light up the sky."

After a pause, Anton sighs, claps his hands together, and turns around, starting to walk back into the base. "Ну-с, приступим. Let's get settled in."

Take a thorough look at the facilities. First order of business is determining how (in)adequate the fleshpits are for custom brain manufacturing. Prototyping the Artee may be a ways off, but I need to know what will be needed before it can be done at all.

Examine the production lines. Can we make amps and manipulators? We'd have to, since some weapons require them, but the question is more about making nonstandard ones.

See what we have as far as R&D support goes. The Sword had a whole R&D department - are we the only R&D here, or is there a think tank (besides Steve) that we could bother for solutions?

Go to the VR section, get the programs from my datapad backed up in the Hephaestus mainframe.

Finally, go visit the living quarters. Check if the food is any better than back on the ship, and see about acquiring some decent working clothes instead of the MkI.

lets see.

The flesh pits aren't good enough to manufacture brains, unless you consider building a sod and then removing their brain to be brain manufacturing. And those ain't gonna be custom. You wanna get custom brains going you're gonna have to get some programmable protein generators, organic compound production systems, custom organo-structure constructors, biochemical manipulation systems and software, plus some specialized grow tubes and feeding systems. 

No, they can not. You lack the necessary materials, even if the lines could produce them.  You need something very specific for them, which not even Hephaestus can mine.

Well, there's the ARESTEVE node. You could go ask him; it's a merging of steve and ares which lives down below this complex. Could talk to your friends back on the sword, but no, there's no NPC Thinktank to steal ideas from.

Ok done

The food is better, if only because it's labeled. But it's also just better quality in general. As per work clothes, what did you have in mind?

((I'd note that STE Officer (what I'm calling characters Simus allows to work on Hephaestus, if you're wondering what it means, look up STEM) living quarters got put under the control room with their own access, private VR rigs, and meeting hall. The rest of it is fine, though.))

Wie passend. Very nice touch, Anton. Welcome to your new home, guys. And uh, whatever you might have thought of me before - just to say, I probably won't be as much of a casual hardass here. After all - I don't hand-pick people I think I'm going to have a problem with, yeah? Wie in alten Zeiten ... erst jetzt besitze ich den Planeten.

And what was that about Leo, Saint? What happened, other than him being left behind - that's obvious if you want to put him in a cell.

Simus goes on the inspection tour with Anton, and puts away her phase suit and other equipment (except the pistol, 'ANUBIS-257', the multitool, and the artefacts from Nyars) in a private lockbox when she gets to the quarters - putting on a labcoat (and shoulder-holstering the pistol beneath, and pocketing the rest) instead.

Lab coat donned. Portal 2 soundtrack playing on infinite loop. Voice configured to GladOS.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 01:38:53 pm »

((Steve wouldn't be bugged by the suit at all, really.  He'd probably find it neat.))

First, send this text:

Quote from: From Steve Saint to Simus and Anton
I am in containment cell H-3, although I have not locked myself in.  The Nyars box contained a... bodysuit made of human skin.  I intend to try it on.

If I do not send a message stating that I am fine within the next, oh, minute, please ask Steve to shock me into unconciousness, then try to find me and remove the suit.

Now put the suit on.  Wait for a moment, trying to feel if it's raping my mind or something.  If it doesn't, send a message to the other two that I'm fine, and go head to my private room's VR console.  Lock the door.  And charge an AUX bonus. 

If it does try to rape my mind, but I win, explain such to S&A, and tell them I'm going to learn to conquer it.  Sit there and charge a will bonus.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

For now, Anton, we have about six major jobs to do, in order of importance - internal security, external security, rounding up what's left of that fleet we partially captured for repairs, refits, or scrapping, bringing the equipment stocked in the Sword and other ARM ships' armouries up-to-date, then research and design - using everything at our disposal, from artefacts we might receive from Steve to things we can put together like your RT, and finally supplying the ARM with everything from ships to grenades to footsoldiers. Most of these jobs can be done in tandem, but if we've got a potential Urban Executor or Shadow Walker, then internal security takes precedence above all else.
"Yeah, I agree. So... all hands to the fleshpits? And feet, and livers, and whatever else goes into Sods around here. We better take a survey of the area and see how many security squads we need."

As per work clothes, what did you have in mind?
Green/grey overalls made of thick nonflammable fabric, tool vest with as many pockets and pouches as physically possible, steel-toed boots, welding goggles, black fabric left glove with rubber grips, Red Hand.

Get four four-Sod squads manufactured, along with their gear (use existing gear if available), even mix of Laser and Gauss rifles, wearing distinctive security uniforms and any light military armor available (either in stock or to manufacture). No opaque faceplates. If the facilities can handle their transfer into synthoid bodies automatically, do that. Otherwise have them manufactured and transferred into synthoid bodies by whichever method is available.
Leave setting them and their controllers up as actual security to Simus, she is better at such matters.

Finally ascertain if any of our small ships survived the space battle, besides the Party Wagon which didn't participate. See if the Merchant is still intact after the bombardment, and what kind of resources it would take to make it ready for orbital salvage ops.

Go to ARESTEVE and inquire on the missing component required for amps and manipulators. What is it, where could it be found if not mined. If nothing else, kinetic amps are going to be needed, and certain weapons like the Plasma Projector rely on automanipulators.

Examine the base facilities for any sort of medical bay, since we might need it. Get acquainted with the staff, if any. Requisition a synthoid right arm (shoulder down) for examination, report the requisitioning to Simus if granted.

Render any help Saint might require should his suit turn on him.

((Edit: amended action to specify synthoid sods))
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 03:51:55 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »

Get four four-Sod squads manufactured, along with their gear (use existing gear if available), even mix of Laser and Gauss rifles, wearing distinctive security uniforms and any light military armor available (either in stock or to manufacture). No opaque faceplates. Leave setting them and their controllers up as actual security to Simus, she is better at such matters.

((Just saying, there is a 5 man sod squad template you can always use, with all the gear worked out and stuff. Check wiki mission 12 for details, if you want.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 84