Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177491 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1125 on: June 11, 2015, 05:07:27 am »

Feeling the breeze on his skin, warm light shining right through the closed eyelids - Why isn't my helmet visor darkening? - Maurice Sanctor slowly opened his eyes and looked into the vast, deep sky before him. It almost felt as if he was falling into that abyss of warm light and cool air, were it not for some strange force that almost glued him to the ceiling of this sky - ...Right, ground. Gravity.

And then the image snapped, and everything fell into their places. He was lying on the grass in the park, his helmet off to the side, with an empty bottle of HMRC Standard lying beside. Memories of the last night... of the last days... came flooding into his mind, and the splitting headache was almost merciful in shifting attention from those memories.

Yet, I know. There is no way back now; unfortunately, after all it seems I can conceive of such things. Lucky are those who cannot.
With heavy pace he put on the helmet and engaged the detox procedure, and then headed back to his study. There was work he had been postponing enough.
Assert retroactive continuity by commencing the experimentation on the Teleporter rifle Nyartifact! Afterwards, await harsh reaction from General Miyamoto.

[ADMIN OF SCIENCE][DEPUTY ADMIN OF ENGINEERING]
  • Check progress report on the Simus's uber-antenna reverse-engineering project. If this is a dead end, switch the science team over to working on Skylar's God-Computer.
  • Gel Sack is a sample from the 'goo sea' Flint took on the Anomalous Planetoid (Link); Liquid Crystal is a sample of bright aquamarine liquid that solidifies upon contact with other substances, which Bishop took on the Anomalous Planetoid (Link. I presume the research on the two is finished by now? If so, check the project report and assign the two crews to studying the analyzer blobs ("Orange with moving metalic things in it", samples and displays symbols upon contact with another object) and the remains of radiation-seeking snake-creatures (corpses taken during the attack on the base), all from that same Anomalous Planetoid.
  • As previously described and discussed, assign the suitable subjects for the Doctor's use. They should be ready and available the moment his new facility is finished.
  • Unwrap LAC-LMS-Uj284 LIMPID FAN and carefully examine the contents.
  • Dat experiment. How far and how many are the places it could have went, really? I mean, is searching for it rather theoretically possible, or slightly bit practically possible? Furthermore, with FTL-incapable drones, it would take hundreds of years at best (and thousands at worst), wouldn't it? Regardless, if that is affordable, file the request for their construction and send them out ((the update schedule is irregular, the mission batch is ending, so there should be enough time)).
Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Hephaestus Administration
Well, now you see why I'm currently waiting for that Apocalypse Lab to begin working on other projects. It was a gamble, like all artifact testing is; it could have just as well broke when we tried to take it apart and reverse-engineer, as was scheduled for later. And I believe that extensively (yet safely, as much as possible) working out the intricacies of the artifact leads to better chances at replicating it; after all, all these were originally in custody of the Sword-resident scientists, yet they weren't able to neither replicate nor explain them - it only falls to reason that the two must be linked.
Anyway, as a result of this testing gone wrong, I am requesting to construct a large number of cheap small search drones, schematics provided, to conduct the search for the lost artifact (as the logs show, it might not have been destroyed, and merely 'bounced' away). It will certainly take a while, and the chances are slim at best, but according to my projections we should be able to easily afford it, and a gamble is better than giving up. I believe it falls within your jurisdiction, Anton, but I might be mistaken.

On the blueprinter/artifact-copier device: It might be helpful, but it might have trouble dealing with the so-called "space magic" effects; anyway, I'll be happy to look into it with you after the Manipulator-Factory is complete.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:40:37 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1126 on: June 11, 2015, 08:30:20 am »

Just a reminder for piecewise:
The orange goo was a colony of many different plankton-like microorganisms that work together.
The analyzer blobs were some sort organic computer.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 11, 2015, 04:04:43 pm »

Forcefields (I can't think of any more experiments unrelated to deathtubes... NOPE, THOUGHT OF MORE TESTS WHILE WRITING.)

1.If an omnidirectional spherical forcefield is dropped/forced into a vat of plasma, and left there for a couple of hours, does it take damage?

2.If an activated forcefield projecting material is brought within the area of effect of one of the anti-space magic pillars, does anything happen?

3.What happens if you shoot an active omnidirectional fragplate forcefield (which is larger than a PP's plasma ball) with a plasma projector?

Cost:

4.Okay, so you say the cost of a battlesuit being armored is variable due to the cost of a forcefield being exponentially linked to it's surface area.  Does this mean that layers of forcefield armor on top of other layers would be more expensive, because they cover a larger surface area?

5.Specifications for fragplate armor:

6.Actual armoring: Take a Heavy Robotic Body and strip off all the armor.  Look at the plates that compose the first layer, and for every plate design a fragplate that is identical in coverage and shape.  Build a mock-up in VR, and make sure that the forcefields completely overlap to the point of being airtight, including the hands and feet--I want to attach 'friction pads' to those using the 'forcefield rivets' idea described in the spoiler above.  Go through as many standard movements and operations as possible, to try and find any errors.

7.What is the cost of the forcefield HRB described in 5?  It trades all three layers of armor for this, plus the surface electrification system.

Something completely different (Milnoplate prices)

Awhile ago I talked to you in IRC about the prices for various suits of milnoplate.  Lambdabot was broken at the time, and I'm an idiot so I forgot to record the numbers you gave.  I think a full suit was 10 tokens (original cost:22), and a helmet was one (original cost:1), but what about these two:

8.Chestplate, including backplate, abdomen and all around torso protection. (Original milnoplate cost would be 10 tokens)

9.Light Flight suit, including chestplate, helmet, shoulder/hip protection, along with thin hexsand coating across the entire body including limbs (Original cost would be 13 tokens + cost of hexsand, which should be cheap)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 11, 2015, 11:48:15 pm »

Okay, first thing's first, check how easily the sand can be manufactured or transported. Then check
  • How easily can the Sandbag system be used by say, Q'Baja construction workers?
  • Can Sandbags be modified to run a preset command that builds a specific structure?
  • What would the socioeconomic impacts of introducing a Sandbag-based construction system to Q'Baja be? Such as say potential unemployment due to a reduction in demand for construction workers and what industries the unemployed would go into.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1129 on: June 12, 2015, 10:32:11 am »

Geez. I'll get to this tomorrow. I've got to memorize a bunch of functional groups today and I can feel this thread draining my life already.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 12, 2015, 11:48:15 am »

Geez. I'll get to this tomorrow. I've got to memorize a bunch of functional groups today and I can feel this thread draining my life already.
((Just send in UWM battle fleet. It should solve this problem.))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1131 on: June 13, 2015, 10:48:54 am »

((Just send in UWM battle fleet. It should solve this problem.))
You are not the first to recommend I blow up Hephaestus.

Feeling the breeze on his skin, warm light shining right through the closed eyelids - Why isn't my helmet visor darkening? - Maurice Sanctor slowly opened his eyes and looked into the vast, deep sky before him. It almost felt as if he was falling into that abyss of warm light and cool air, were it not for some strange force that almost glued him to the ceiling of this sky - ...Right, ground. Gravity.

And then the image snapped, and everything fell into their places. He was lying on the grass in the park, his helmet off to the side, with an empty bottle of HMRC Standard lying beside. Memories of the last night... of the last days... came flooding into his mind, and the splitting headache was almost merciful in shifting attention from those memories.

Yet, I know. There is no way back now; unfortunately, after all it seems I can conceive of such things. Lucky are those who cannot.
With heavy pace he put on the helmet and engaged the detox procedure, and then headed back to his study. There was work he had been postponing enough.
Assert retroactive continuity by commencing the experimentation on the Teleporter rifle Nyartifact! Afterwards, await harsh reaction from General Miyamoto.

• Check progress report on the Simus's uber-antenna reverse-engineering project. If this is a dead end, switch the science team over to working on Skylar's God-Computer.
  • Gel Sack is a sample from the 'goo sea' Flint took on the Anomalous Planetoid (Link); Liquid Crystal is a sample of bright aquamarine liquid that solidifies upon contact with other substances, which Bishop took on the Anomalous Planetoid (Link. I presume the research on the two is finished by now? If so, check the project report and assign the two crews to studying the analyzer blobs ("Orange with moving metalic things in it", samples and displays symbols upon contact with another object) and the remains of radiation-seeking snake-creatures (corpses taken during the attack on the base), all from that same Anomalous Planetoid.
  • As previously described and discussed, assign the suitable subjects for the Doctor's use. They should be ready and available the moment his new facility is finished.
  • Unwrap LAC-LMS-Uj284 LIMPID FAN and carefully examine the contents.
  • Dat experiment. How far and how many are the places it could have went, really? I mean, is searching for it rather theoretically possible, or slightly bit practically possible? Furthermore, with FTL-incapable drones, it would take hundreds of years at best (and thousands at worst), wouldn't it? Regardless, if that is affordable, file the request for their construction and send them out ((the update schedule is irregular, the mission batch is ending, so there should be enough time)).
Well, now you see why I'm currently waiting for that Apocalypse Lab to begin working on other projects. It was a gamble, like all artifact testing is; it could have just as well broke when we tried to take it apart and reverse-engineer, as was scheduled for later. And I believe that extensively (yet safely, as much as possible) working out the intricacies of the artifact leads to better chances at replicating it; after all, all these were originally in custody of the Sword-resident scientists, yet they weren't able to neither replicate nor explain them - it only falls to reason that the two must be linked.
Anyway, as a result of this testing gone wrong, I am requesting to construct a large number of cheap small search drones, schematics provided, to conduct the search for the lost artifact (as the logs show, it might not have been destroyed, and merely 'bounced' away). It will certainly take a while, and the chances are slim at best, but according to my projections we should be able to easily afford it, and a gamble is better than giving up. I believe it falls within your jurisdiction, Anton, but I might be mistaken.

On the blueprinter/artifact-copier device: It might be helpful, but it might have trouble dealing with the so-called "space magic" effects; anyway, I'll be happy to look into it with you after the Manipulator-Factory is complete.
1. It's lead to a few new designs boosting signal clarity at long ranges but it's still bound by relativity and the speed of light, making it uselessly slow for most things.
2.Ah. Well the gel sac is full of interesting micro-organisms that produce new polymers and behave in ways that are different from almost any other microorganisms observed on terrestrial environments. They are, however, not terribly useful for anything that the scientists can think of. The liquid crystal appears to be something akin to stemcells, able to take on many different configurations depending on stimulus. However, we cannot, as of yet, manage to reproduce it via chemical or mechanical means.  And we'll begin looking at the other stuff.
3.Alright. We'll wait for the mission end time jump
4.Limpid fan eh? Lets see: Ah. Are you unwrapping that yourself? Important.

Okay, first thing's first, check how easily the sand can be manufactured or transported. Then check
  • How easily can the Sandbag system be used by say, Q'Baja construction workers?
  • Can Sandbags be modified to run a preset command that builds a specific structure?
  • What would the socioeconomic impacts of introducing a Sandbag-based construction system to Q'Baja be? Such as say potential unemployment due to a reduction in demand for construction workers and what industries the unemployed would go into.
1. Well, depends on how well trained they are.
2. The sand? No. But we can make preset sounds to control them in set ways.
3. Depends on how wide spread the use is. We'd have to really start manufacturing a hell of a lot to make it cheaper then concrete.

Forcefields (I can't think of any more experiments unrelated to deathtubes... NOPE, THOUGHT OF MORE TESTS WHILE WRITING.)

1.If an omnidirectional spherical forcefield is dropped/forced into a vat of plasma, and left there for a couple of hours, does it take damage?

2.If an activated forcefield projecting material is brought within the area of effect of one of the anti-space magic pillars, does anything happen?

3.What happens if you shoot an active omnidirectional fragplate forcefield (which is larger than a PP's plasma ball) with a plasma projector?

Cost:

4.Okay, so you say the cost of a battlesuit being armored is variable due to the cost of a forcefield being exponentially linked to it's surface area.  Does this mean that layers of forcefield armor on top of other layers would be more expensive, because they cover a larger surface area?

5.Specifications for fragplate armor:

6.Actual armoring: Take a Heavy Robotic Body and strip off all the armor.  Look at the plates that compose the first layer, and for every plate design a fragplate that is identical in coverage and shape.  Build a mock-up in VR, and make sure that the forcefields completely overlap to the point of being airtight, including the hands and feet--I want to attach 'friction pads' to those using the 'forcefield rivets' idea described in the spoiler above.  Go through as many standard movements and operations as possible, to try and find any errors.

7.What is the cost of the forcefield HRB described in 5?  It trades all three layers of armor for this, plus the surface electrification system.

Something completely different (Milnoplate prices)

Awhile ago I talked to you in IRC about the prices for various suits of milnoplate.  Lambdabot was broken at the time, and I'm an idiot so I forgot to record the numbers you gave.  I think a full suit was 10 tokens (original cost:22), and a helmet was one (original cost:1), but what about these two:

8.Chestplate, including backplate, abdomen and all around torso protection. (Original milnoplate cost would be 10 tokens)

9.Light Flight suit, including chestplate, helmet, shoulder/hip protection, along with thin hexsand coating across the entire body including limbs (Original cost would be 13 tokens + cost of hexsand, which should be cheap)

1. Depends on how damaging the plasma is. Blow certain intensities, and depending on the anchor material, it could survive in there forever. Above that intensity it would only last temporarily.
2. Well, it doesn't want to enter the area effected by them.
3. Just like the earlier question, it depends on the anchoring material. if it's powerful enough to surivive, the plasma ball will just sort of sit there, pressing against the force field until it runs out of juice.
4. Yes.
7. Prohibitive. There are some fairly large armor sections there. You're better off going with something lamellar style, with many small plates is going to serve you much better.
8-9.(have we changed the prices on those things? I don't even remember.)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 16, 2015, 03:28:06 pm »

Forcefields:
1.Is there any stable relation of a forcefield's explosive power when broken, to the energy it can absorb?  I.E. does an exploding forcefield always output, say, 400% of the energy required to break it?

2.Regardless of the answer to that, how strong is the explosion of one pound of fragplate (which projects a FF that can survive a 500% gauss cannon shot).  Before, you've just said it was in the "low kilotons".  Does that mean .5 kilotons, 1 kiloton, 5 kilotons, 9?

3.Take the "prohibitively expensive" HRB armored with large forcefield plates, and replace all the plates with overlapping lamellar-style minimum size ones (postage stamp sized, from what you told Nik).  Make sure that the forcefield armoring is completely contiguous across the entire surface.  I want it plasma-tight.  How expensive is this, compared to the normal HRB?

4.In the last turn, you kept saying things like "If it's a forcefield that's strong enough to survive, nothing bad will happen".  Since all my tests were for fragplate, and fragplate projects the strongest forcefield we know how to make, that means a fragplate forcefield can survive a Plasma Projector shot?

Sandbag Sand:

5.You told Empiricist that he could make devices with preset sounds, which control sandbag sand.  In the past, both Paris and I have both tried to do exactly that, and you didn't let us.  Probably a wise decision, really.  Are you going back on that now?

Milnoplate:

Yes, we agreed that Milnoplate would get a large discount if it entered mass-production.  We talked about it about a month ago over IRC, and agreed on prices for four different packages--Full plate, helmet only, torso only, and flight.  I then promptly forgot the prices for torso and flight, because I'm an idiot who didn't write things down.  And Lambdabot was boken at the time.  So I'm asking again now: What are the prices for these?  For reference, the original cost of full Milnoplate was 22 tokens, and you gave it a discount of 12 tokens for mass production.

6.Chestplate, including backplate, abdomen and all around torso protection. (Original milnoplate cost would be 10 tokens)

7.Light Flight suit, including chestplate, helmet, shoulder/hip protection, along with thin hexsand coating across the entire body including limbs (Original cost would be 13 tokens + cost of hexsand, which should be cheap)

Nikitian's monoatomic force crescent design

8.Before, you've saide that a forcefield projecting sphere's maximum projection distance is 5x the radius.  However, Nik designed a weapon which took a flat base and projected a forcefield about a meter in front of it.  Do non-spherical forcefield projectors have different rules from spherical projectors, and if so, what is the projection range for a flat projector?

9.Remember that high-oscillation material which we got from the gratesplosion and figured out how to reproduce?  If we make it into a forcefield projector, and make it start vibrating at a high frequency, does the forcefield also vibrate?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 19, 2015, 07:53:46 am »

Take some painting supplies, a canvas, and paint a picture of a beautiful nude young woman sleeping on her bed in the long-standing tradition coming from the ancient Earth days.

Then paint my arrival on Hephaestus: me and the Doctor are quickly descending the ramp and pushing the stasis chamber, while a synth-flesh-bodied person with custom facial features greets us at the ramp.

((Edit:))
ARESTEVE, I'm thinking of creating and tinkering with a personal wetware project, probably single-brain at start but to be expanded later. However, one of the main requirements I have in mind is it being fully capable of and no less than human-level proficient at speech and thought. Thus, could you find me a brain from our stocks of someone willing to be made into wetware?
Ask ARESTEVE.

• Following items have been approved for production and prototyping: Blaster pistol, Blaster rifle, Blaster Bazooka.
  • Good. Now let's reassign Science Team Alpha to working on the God-Computer instead of the antenna, as mentioned earlier. Also, can't the researchers apply those anomalous micro-organisms to create self-sealing suits, as you suggested to the initial researcher back then on the planetoid? We got his notes indicating that, you know.
  • To confirm, a small legion of search drones is put to construction. Can we have it built and sent out during the coming time-skip?
  • Go to the test range and check how well my Twitchblade alien star-weapon (('the Glaive')) cuts various types of armor. ((Basically, I'd like you to look up/recall the details on the Artifact, so I can properly test it later.))
  • Unwrap LIMPID FAN personally, in a sealed testing chamber. I am wearing my Mk III, and I have the Instrument and my tactical backpack (with all contents) on hand, and nothing else of my personal equipment.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 01:46:41 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 22, 2015, 02:47:04 pm »

A new project is currently underway, the main goal of which is to boost our scientific potential. I will spare you the details, but suffice to say that soon there will be an influx of children born on this base.

Steve, since that is your domain, would you take care of arranging the necessary accommodations? Apart from basic stuff like what to eat, what to do and where to live (modified for children specifics, of course), there will probably need to be appointed at least several (better if more) nurses and supervisors. Teachers too, later on, but I will take care of that myself.
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1135 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:55 am »

Forcefields:
1.Is there any stable relation of a forcefield's explosive power when broken, to the energy it can absorb?  I.E. does an exploding forcefield always output, say, 400% of the energy required to break it?

2.Regardless of the answer to that, how strong is the explosion of one pound of fragplate (which projects a FF that can survive a 500% gauss cannon shot).  Before, you've just said it was in the "low kilotons".  Does that mean .5 kilotons, 1 kiloton, 5 kilotons, 9?

3.Take the "prohibitively expensive" HRB armored with large forcefield plates, and replace all the plates with overlapping lamellar-style minimum size ones (postage stamp sized, from what you told Nik).  Make sure that the forcefield armoring is completely contiguous across the entire surface.  I want it plasma-tight.  How expensive is this, compared to the normal HRB?

4.In the last turn, you kept saying things like "If it's a forcefield that's strong enough to survive, nothing bad will happen".  Since all my tests were for fragplate, and fragplate projects the strongest forcefield we know how to make, that means a fragplate forcefield can survive a Plasma Projector shot?

Sandbag Sand:

5.You told Empiricist that he could make devices with preset sounds, which control sandbag sand.  In the past, both Paris and I have both tried to do exactly that, and you didn't let us.  Probably a wise decision, really.  Are you going back on that now?

Milnoplate:

Yes, we agreed that Milnoplate would get a large discount if it entered mass-production.  We talked about it about a month ago over IRC, and agreed on prices for four different packages--Full plate, helmet only, torso only, and flight.  I then promptly forgot the prices for torso and flight, because I'm an idiot who didn't write things down.  And Lambdabot was boken at the time.  So I'm asking again now: What are the prices for these?  For reference, the original cost of full Milnoplate was 22 tokens, and you gave it a discount of 12 tokens for mass production.

6.Chestplate, including backplate, abdomen and all around torso protection. (Original milnoplate cost would be 10 tokens)

7.Light Flight suit, including chestplate, helmet, shoulder/hip protection, along with thin hexsand coating across the entire body including limbs (Original cost would be 13 tokens + cost of hexsand, which should be cheap)

Nikitian's monoatomic force crescent design

8.Before, you've saide that a forcefield projecting sphere's maximum projection distance is 5x the radius.  However, Nik designed a weapon which took a flat base and projected a forcefield about a meter in front of it.  Do non-spherical forcefield projectors have different rules from spherical projectors, and if so, what is the projection range for a flat projector?

9.Remember that high-oscillation material which we got from the gratesplosion and figured out how to reproduce?  If we make it into a forcefield projector, and make it start vibrating at a high frequency, does the forcefield also vibrate?

1. Strictly speaking, no. Remember that force-fields can, theoretically, absorb an infinite amount of power so long as it doesn't come too fast. You could shoot a force field with a hand gun for a million years and nothing would happen, but a mini gun or a tank shell might get through. Continuous damage or high powered, focused attacks are the problem.

2. Less then a kilo ton. In the .5-.7 or so range.

3. Well lets see here...I think you could manage a chest and back plate torso armor piece for about 10 tokens, limbs for 5-6 each, head for maybe 5 misc parts for 2-3, so a full suit for a human would be roughly 37-40.  But that is of course with fields large enough to allow for any sort of normal movement while maintaining a complete airtight seal. You could greatly reduce the price by lowering the coverage.

4. It would survive one, yes. But don't shoot 10 at it in one concentrated place.

5. Hmm. Yeah we should probably keep it that way for consistency sake. Difference here is that he was trying to use it for industrial purposes, producing building materials. As opposed to murderous gameplay purposes. Guess they'll just have to train workers to use them.

Lets call it 6 for the chest plate (assuming thats back and front) and flight? I dunno, what was the difference? Does that add armor for the engine pods or less armor for lightness or what?  Oh wait, you have that listed here. Lets say 10 all together.

8. He may be presenting a different view of it then what I have. See, in my head, the thing is made up of a fairly long metal pole, kind of like a billy club or short baseball bat, with a core of shield material running up its entire length. This would increase the amount of the stuff in the weapon and allow for longer projection (though a meter is basically at the max). If he's talking about it just being a handle or something, then thats not it.

9. You'd have to test that. I recommend you do it from a good distance.

Take some painting supplies, a canvas, and paint a picture of a beautiful nude young woman sleeping on her bed in the long-standing tradition coming from the ancient Earth days.

Then paint my arrival on Hephaestus: me and the Doctor are quickly descending the ramp and pushing the stasis chamber, while a synth-flesh-bodied person with custom facial features greets us at the ramp.

((Edit:))
ARESTEVE, I'm thinking of creating and tinkering with a personal wetware project, probably single-brain at start but to be expanded later. However, one of the main requirements I have in mind is it being fully capable of and no less than human-level proficient at speech and thought. Thus, could you find me a brain from our stocks of someone willing to be made into wetware?
Ask ARESTEVE.

• Following items have been approved for production and prototyping: Blaster pistol, Blaster rifle, Blaster Bazooka.
  • Good. Now let's reassign Science Team Alpha to working on the God-Computer instead of the antenna, as mentioned earlier. Also, can't the researchers apply those anomalous micro-organisms to create self-sealing suits, as you suggested to the initial researcher back then on the planetoid? We got his notes indicating that, you know.
  • To confirm, a small legion of search drones is put to construction. Can we have it built and sent out during the coming time-skip?
  • Go to the test range and check how well my Twitchblade alien star-weapon (('the Glaive')) cuts various types of armor. ((Basically, I'd like you to look up/recall the details on the Artifact, so I can properly test it later.))
  • Unwrap LIMPID FAN personally, in a sealed testing chamber. I am wearing my Mk III, and I have the Instrument and my tactical backpack (with all contents) on hand, and nothing else of my personal equipment.

The nude painting goes quite well. You think you've captured it nearly perfectly.

The arrival painting is much less of a success. It comes out, sure, but it's definitely not your best work.

You would need more then one to be human levels of intelligence.

1. Don't even know what those are~
2.Ok. Which microorganisms? We've got a lot.
3.Yep. And yep.
4. Ok, so I'll be frank with you, to save time. Ever heard of the game dark sector? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oshfTr0BVEs It's that.
5. You open the container. You see what looks like a sort of squarish block of orange material, like a jelly cube or something.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 24, 2015, 11:36:59 am »

Anton Chernozorov

Deep in his private chamber, away from the prying eyes of everyone save perhaps ARESTEVE, the aging technician Anton Chernozorov was immersing himself into his work. The talk with the Doctor left an impression on him. The impending disaster was terrible; the intended countermeasure was, perhaps, even worse. He could not stand by, merely following orders, if there was the slightest chance he could find another way.

"Я не позволю... каким-то... грёбаным законам физики... стать причиной гибели стольких людей!"

He'd spent several days - almost a week - locked up in the workshop, furiously assembling something. Welding, riveting, rolling sheets of steel and aluminum. Putting together something that he hasn't seen... for a few centuries at least, chronologically.

"There. Готово."

The final bolt was in place. The power lines, connected. The eight metric tons of sensors and processing equipment, powered up and standing by.

"Ну что, зараза ты моя ненаглядная. Here we are again."

The last time he'd seen the device, the improved copy of which he was now standing beside, was, coincidentally, one of the last things he'd seen before waking up in the barracks of the Paracelsus' Sword. That was immediately before it exploded, burying Anton in burning rubble, however not before Anton was able to observe something far more spectacular.

The device, the mangled visage of an inside-out jet turbine mated to a tokamak reactor, assembled from pieces of industrial equipment and spare parts, and using nothing but simple electricity... was putting out more power than was being put into it. Several orders of magnitude more. Granted, it was putting it out in the form of a concentrated electromagnetic stream, which was at those exact moments melting the metal skeleton of a nearby apartment building, and setting its several hundred residents on fire. But it worked.

This time, he was ready for surprises. He took every possible precaution, reinforced the device in all areas he considered weak, replaced his DIY gear with properly constructed components. He didn't know what the device was going to do, exactly - with the changes he'd made, and the numbers in his head potentially not entirely correct, the result could be something unexpected - but he was sure that he could handle it. All that was left was to power it on.

The device was set to iterate through combinations of electromagnetic fields in a set pattern, gradually adjusting them, and reporting to Anton's wristcomp whenever there was an anomaly. He'd know the moment something happened that was worthy of his attention. Hopefully, he'd know about it sooner than the device blew up.

The thought that the whole experience could be brought on by stasis dementia crossed Anton's mind, briefly. But he dismissed it. Insane or not, he wants to do this. Real or not, the experiment has to be made.

Anton approached the control console and keyed in the command. When the program signaled ready, he reached for the master switch, and, perhaps a little too dramatically, slammed it down. The power converters hummed into life, and with a deep, reverberating oscillation that could be felt by anyone with metallic components, the apparatus in the center of the chamber began churning through its primary function.

The experiment has begun.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:41:16 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 25, 2015, 02:12:55 am »

Quote from: Steve Saint, Head of Production  to: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science  CC: Hephaestus Administration
I was just sorting through some older messages, and realized you were referring to me in that text, rather than the AI Steve. Nobody has called me Steve in years.  It's... refreshing, if a bit confusing.

I'll see about getting those accommodations set up, although I don't think I'm the most qualified to design living areas for children.  As for supervisors and caretakers, that's more of an issue.  I'll have to check for volunteers from our construction and science teams, or wait until we get the next crew shipment from Q'baja.  Do you have any opinions, here?

Additionally, I think it's quite reasonable for me to ask for more details, if I'm going to be overseeing part of this project.  Why are we creating children?  Are they soldiers?  Are they clones of Jim?  You know we have several of those in stasis already, right?  Do you have any input on how they should be raised?  At the very least how many children are there?

Actions and junk, tired...

1.I'm pretty darn integrated with our computer systems.  Saint lives in Heph's compter network more than his own body.  He's like an AI.  At this point, he's probably written a fair deal of Heph's software infrastructure himself.  Due to that, might I have had the chance to get a camera recording of the Doctor's meeting?  I'd like to see it if so.

FORCEFIELDS  ((Assume that for all these tests I repeat them ten times each, and take the average result.  I could write that into each action, but that's just massive bloat.))

2.The Forcefield armoured Heavy robotic body; you said that, bought piecemeal, its armor would cost 37-40 tokens.  However, you also said that would be a full suit for a human, so I don't think you understood the question.  What would be the price for a heavy robotic body (the miniaturized battlesuit thing), assuming we replaced the armor that is already on it?  ((For comparison, buying milnoplate piecemeal for a human would require 66 tokens for three suits, ignoring the fact that the second and third ones would be larger and therefore more expensive.  :P))

3.Say we have two completely identical forcefield projectors, both activated.  Projector A is resting on projector B's field, and is otherwise isolated from B.  If the projector A is detonated, will the detonation break B's field?

4.Let's take two forcefield projectors, both made out of fragplate.  One is a plate two feet to a side, and an inch thick, while the other is one foot to a side, and an inch thick.  Aside from size, their structures are as identical as possible.  Detonate both of them.  Does either have a larger explosion, despite them both being equally as tough?

5.Assuming that the answer to 4 was yes, and the larger plate has more explosive power, was it around four times as strong?  If not, test a few more plate variances to check if there's any logical pattern the explosive strength follows.

6. Say we have two of the HRBs that I'm asking for the price of in 2.  One is A, the other is B.  We set off a small explosion inside A, which immediately detonates every forcefield it has on it.  What is the minimum distance B must be from A, to avoid being destroyed by the blast?  Before, you've said a pound of fragplate has an explosive force in the range of .5 to .7 kilotons (I'm fine if you want to retcon that to deal with 3-5).  A .6 kiloton explosion has a fireball radius of 60 meters, and a 20 psi overpressure radius of 180 meters.

7.Take a fragplate forcefield which is roughly bullet shaped, and fire its projector at a very solid wall.  I want to calculate out the exact amount of force that it should impact with, and alter the speed so that it impacts with 20% of the kinetic energy required to break it (equal to a gauss cannon shot).  What happens?  Does the fragile projector break from the rapid velocity change?  Or does it stay intact?

We're gonna raise some unGrateful children:

8.Do we have non-con crew/sci team personnel on Hephaestus, OR would removing a few people from their ranks not impact their effectiveness?  If so, send a general message out to all Hephaestus personnel asking for volunteers who would like to change their job to raising children.  Recruit one nanny for every three children we expect to need to raise.  If there's more applicants than we need, screen them based on obvious traits (Experience raising children, background in education, loyalty to ARM, sound mind, no pedophilic history, etc.)

9.Command our one inactive Construction crew to build a facility where the children will be raised and taught.  When will the crew be done?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 25, 2015, 02:58:39 am »

Then more than one it is. How many would that be, by the way?
Keep talking to ARESTEVE.

Paint the Defense of Hephaestus at its high-point as I remember it: ARM forces in the bunkers, UWM advancing, and the BIG artillery shell visibly descending through the air upon our poor bunker five.
Scrap and re-paint the 'Arrival on Hephaestus'.

Acquire my personal useless jewelry trinket, synthesised and crafted by the machinery/someone competent: A large ring, made of many thin entwined strands of mythril, crowned by a large artificial corundum gem featuring a spiral rainbow swirl of bright and clear natural gem colors.

EDIT: ((Mission batch ended, so:)) Visit the Doctor in his recently finished new lab.
  • Micro-organisms we captured as the "gel sack" from the anomalous planetoid. Back then when Flint considered their application, there was an idea that they could be used to create self-sealing suits. Is that possible?
  • Check progress on the science teams working on the 'analyzer blobs' and radiation-seeking snake-creatures' corpses.
  • Go to the infirmary to be present as the children are born. Take each of them on hands and look closely into their eyes. Seek out divine inspiration and revelation ((of Mechanical Muse)) on the whole project.
  • Get in touch with Steve Saint and Charles Leroux to join efforts; research texts on psychology and education, ranging from the up-to-date modern to ancient classical and historical accounts - all to work out the educational and upbringing strategy for these children. Yes, I am making this an actual action because it takes the attention, effort and is intended to have in-universe results. Let's just abstract this a little for a now and slowly and efficiently work out the details in the meantime.
  • (Here was some testing of LIMPID FAN artifact.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:44:17 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 25, 2015, 03:03:37 am »

many thin entwined strands of mythril
personal useless jewelry trinket
Invoke Wrath of Auron
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 84