Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177417 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #720 on: October 24, 2014, 05:08:14 am »

The Raduga is thus the only thing even theoretically worth using for this.
Missile pods?
Translocation rifles?

((Heh. I wonder, if you have two TL rifles and point them in different directions before firing both simultaneously - what will happen?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #721 on: October 24, 2014, 05:21:35 am »

((A small missile that attaches itself to enemy armour and drills through it with a monoatomic drill before detonating. Would be a bit expensive but probably not as expensive as a gauss cannon/PSL + ammo and certainly not as heavy.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: October 24, 2014, 05:27:14 am »

The Raduga is thus the only thing even theoretically worth using for this.
Missile pods?
Translocation rifles?

((Heh. I wonder, if you have two TL rifles and point them in different directions before firing both simultaneously - what will happen?))
Cloning? TL cancellation? Move to median point? Atomization? Spontaneous detonation of both rifles?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: October 24, 2014, 08:03:22 am »

Spoiler: OOC banter (click to show/hide)

@ Sean
((I would like to point out that to burn cities and keep doing so, the HEP (given its performance at M15) would be better and cheaper (if slightly less rapid-fire); enough for cons.
Pros: can't the dual-Raduga share much of the system, essentially it being not two backpacks, but one with two deathtube appendages? At the very least, I am fairly certain that power supply could be shared, and it appears to constitute much of weight and price. Furthermore, I believe that strength scale is non-linear at the very least, and somewhat exponential - so even twice the weight would not correspond to twice the str required.
And finally, cannot you utilise the scheme you suggested to deal with the overcharge cooldown/charge-up period? If timed right, the 'barrels' could be switched for near-continious barrage of power. And finally 'Gatling laser' would have at least some substance to it.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 24, 2014, 08:12:40 am »

Has anyone tinkered with the HEP to see if there's any way to get it to charge faster?  That or create a rotating battery of them for more constant fire.  I'm sure there's no barrier to getting thirty HEPs in one unit.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 24, 2014, 08:47:18 am »

Has anyone tinkered with the HEP to see if there's any way to get it to charge faster?  That or create a rotating battery of them for more constant fire.  I'm sure there's no barrier to getting thirty HEPs in one unit.
((Unfortunately, with the HEP the one-minute charge time is simple matter of pumping enough energy into it. Make the generator 60 times bigger, and you'll have it fire every second. It's inner structure is completely unknown even to the scientists, however.
We don't know if it can overheat, but so far supplying enough energy is the real bottleneck with it, unlike Spektr/Raduga.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 24, 2014, 09:02:48 am »

3 words: Alien power sphere.

It cheats.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 24, 2014, 09:35:23 am »

3 words: Alien power sphere.

It cheats.

This man may be on to something!

Ask the Heph people to take one apart and try to hook it up to the base power supply as well.  It can be reproduced; something about it must be known.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 24, 2014, 04:39:38 pm »

We know its sentient, ignores physics and that it hates milno...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 24, 2014, 04:54:37 pm »

((Well, if my clone here were revived I might be able to talk to it...))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: October 24, 2014, 04:58:11 pm »

He did, y'know, exterminate its creator species because he wanted to not risk bleeding out, the wuss
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 05:00:09 pm by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 24, 2014, 05:04:29 pm »

About the only way I can imagine us being able to utilize that as leverage, is if we strike a deal with it that every weapon it helps us develop will be used to shoot Milno at least once.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 24, 2014, 05:05:26 pm »

About the only way I can imagine us being able to utilize that as leverage, is if we strike a deal with it that every weapon it helps us develop will be used to shoot Milno at least once.

((Kickstart it.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 24, 2014, 06:14:03 pm »

Quote from: Pancaek -> Heph people and Miyamoto
Greetings, esteemed scientists and others.

After some price hunting I send you a second mail regarding a promising nyars artifact I acquired. It's a rifle that teleports you where you shoot it at, somehow. I'm no good at shooty tubes, but I think maybe you lot might want it?

I'm thinking of asking about 6 tokens, though I'd be willing to take 3 and a coupon for a small nyars artifact as well. We can always haggle a bit, if this price seems unfair to you.

Love and hugs,

Pancaek Nilys

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #734 on: October 24, 2014, 10:23:22 pm »

((Kickstart it.))

You're doing god's work here.

Anton Chernozorov

Do we have an ETA on those defense ships?

---------------

How much larger will the fuel tank on the modified rocket pack have to be to match the Mk3 in longevity? How large (in relation to the body) are the Mk3's normal rocket packs anyway?

Will the dual-Raduga laser backpack be reasonably wearable with a Mk3-like exoskeleton (i.e. as part of the MACS system)? If yes (don't see why not), make it a MACS-compatible module.

Design the assembly stand for securing the large MACS modules. Make it so the modules slot into place and hold there without being fastened, but require either the assembly stand or some manual work to be secured properly. This is so the assembly stand doesn't need to manipulate the modules themselves, and maybe a sufficiently dextrous user could fasten the requisite bolts by himself.

Finalize the design of the MACS rocket pack, the turbofan pack, and the heavy laser pack.

Work on designing a "rocket boot" module, that could attach to the suit's legs. It's not intended for prolonged flight, more short controlled jumps, as it cannot have nearly the same fuel capacity as the backpack. The rocket thruster itself is a single larger thruster in the "sole" of the "boot", accompanied by an array of additional verniers intended to keep the user upright while flying. Two boots and their combined tanks should give maybe 20% to a quarter of the rocket pack's flight time, and far less mobility (albeit similar thrust capacity). This is intended for use with "flightless" MACS backpack modules.

Did I not give one? I feel like I probably would. Hm. When did we set this up? Cause probably a month from then.

------------

Well, I've compared the MKIII to this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
See the big things on it's back? Like that. But a bit more bulbous. They're big things. So combining them on your back might make you look like a ninja turtle.

It should be, though it might slow you down. Big guns, big battery pack, lots of the exoskeleton's power used to keep them from weighing you down. Add more weight, like rockets and quantum backpacks filled with crap, you're gonna be slower.

Hmm...Some parts I could see that on, but large pieces, your double laser, you rocket pack, less so.

Wait, how are we finalizing it if you just asked a question above?

This Mac is getting more expensive by the minute. And the council appears to be putting half a brick in a sock and making shifty glaces.  This rocket boot of yours; where does the fuel from it come from? How is exhaust directed? Are they gonna be walking on platform shoes to fit in the necessary parts? 
Mini-battlesuit things, for Radio:

1.My MBS has two layers of armor: one of the standard laser resistant lasers all battlesuits have, and one of the ballistic layer.  How does this translate in-game, compared to a standard battlesuit?

2.Because I think it will come up, how much armor does the mobility battlesuit have, in comparison to the standard one?

3.If I can, try to pull up a copy of the type of mining laser that was used on the sharkmist mission, that damaged Gilgamesh.  How powerful is it in comparison to a cutting laser?

Normal tinkery stuff:

4.PSL shards- when they explode, do they explode in fragments like a normal fragmentation grenade, or only electricity?

5.Run an experiment in VR.  I want to fill a spherical container that's just large enough for this, made of very thin metal, with 110% the fluid required to make a full PSL shard.  Put a small battery in it, with just enough juice that it should be able to crystallize the fluid.  Link the battery to an external button with a five second timer. 

6.What, exactly, happens when the button is pressed?

7.If it is capable of killing a sod, what is the range at which the sod will usually die?  (I.E. would have to roll an end:5 or something.)

((Will write up MBS advantages list, and update wiki page laterish.  Maybe answer Pancaek too.  Been feeling horrible lately. ._.))
I almost missed this because the "normal tinkery stuff" blended in. Space it out next time. Me poor old eyes ain't what they used to be, laddy.

They shatter, with a good deal of force and the release of electricity. Not sure what you meant by this question, honestly. Oh wait, yeah, they make crystal shrapnel AND electricity. Two-fer

Hmm. I assume you want to create a handgrenade here eh? Well, the way you have it won't work. You need to create the crystal THEN throw it. If you press the button and throw it, which is what I assume you were planning on, 5 second timer and all, it will just land and then crystalize harmlessly. Assuming no one then hits or kicks it. But if it hits and is already a crystal, then pop goes the...crystal.

What exactly happens now is the crystal grows to fill the inside of the container. Solids are smaller then liquids, so it has room.

The range on it is...well its complex. It has pretty good range but doesn't produce many individual shards. So you can hit from a distance but only if you get lucky.

Whatever happened to a good old brick of c4 inside a glass jar filled with nails?

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 84