Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177534 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #960 on: February 06, 2015, 01:33:08 pm »

((Okay, so. In the Heph OOC thread, starting from around here, we started tossing around some actual numbers and constructive estimates instead of usability concerns, and have bumped into a specific number we need a few questions answered about. The actual posts provide the details, but the actual number is what's important if you don't want to read all that.

Question: How large/heavy/expensive will a generator providing 200 kilowatts of power be? I recall there being different tech levels of generator, and some sort of new research being performed for better generators. On different ends of the scale - how heavy would a "cheap" generator of that power be (i.e. around 5 tokens' cost?), and how expensive would a "compact" generator of that power be (size of a medium backpack, no more than 50kg weight), if it is at all possible? For reference, 200 kilowatts is roughly the amount of power consumed by a small office building, 2 kilowatts is what you could get from a typical wall outlet. We've no idea how it translates to TPUs, even.

And if it's no trouble, just in case - the same for a 100 kilowatt generator?
))
This is when the TPU measurement really shows the meaning of its name eh?

Anyway. Lets see. 200 kilowatt in cheap is gonna be basically unusable. Thing would be the size of a washing machine. And I feel like things up from there would become unreasonable in terms of cost, probably nearly doubling the MKIII's base cost.

What I would suggest instead is using those new batteries we just developed. They would require occasional changing,  which is a maintenance cost, but they would provide that power you need without being massively heavy or stupidly expensive. Depending on how long you want them to function on a single battery, you could get the size down to something basically completely negligible. Or increase the operational time by scaling it up some.

Hephaestus thing:

1.You said the sci team will work on making a non-invasice Man-Machine Interface.  When will they be done?

Beetlesuit/battlesuit 2.0 design (minor improvements):

2.Try making some type of eyelid for the suit's cameras, so that it can easily protect from stuff like paint, and clean it off.

3.Add handles to the back of the battlesuit- enough for two people to ride on the back and fire over the top of the BS.  Make sure a few claymores are positioned to blow the handles off, and kill anyone who grabbed on without permission.

4.Add deployable wheels to the feet, sorta like heelys or something. 

5.Add a camera to the crotch, and any other blindspots.

6.Remove the backup capacitors in the suit, and replace them with bluraditite batteries of similar cost.  Hopefully, that should afford higher capacity and lower volume.

7.Remove most of the claymores, except for the ones positioned near the riding handles.

8.Change the location of the external button that opens the cockpit up, at least enough to confuse any sods who try and open the suit.

9.Ask scientists/other players for suggested names for this thing.

((Hey, Emp, are your conversations with Leo recorded?  Would Charles allow other Heph personnel to listen to the recordings, if they felt like it?))
1 Three weeks

2.How about a clear plastic dome over the camera which can be extended and retracted?

3. Alright, handles, claymores. Got it.

4.Hmm. This could be problematic. You're gonna have to have motors and shit built into the legs, room for wheel, etc. It's gonna make the legs bigger and possibly more clumsy.

5. Oh my.

6. Capacitors are used to store energy, generally building it up and then releasing it. Bluraditite can't be used like that. Basically, the crystals gain their charge when created and as the charge is pulled out of them, they break down. You can't put more charge into one thats already been created.

7. Alright.

8. Fair. Where you wanna stick it? It's part of a maintenance panel.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: February 06, 2015, 03:46:59 pm »

"Hmm.

I remember there being two such missions.  One where a mining colony dug up something bad, and had to be evacuated.  What the UWM wanted was to get the people out of the place before they died horribly.  If they stayed, they would have died horribly, and they only saved so many people because they were willing to be harsh... and their secret, evil plan was to put people on escape transports before their lungs were eaten by sharkmist.  We were given clear, accurate goals, and they were justified.

The other one, Steve lied about the mission goals, murdered a city, if not an entire planet, all so we could assassinate someone for some reason.  After that, we were welcomed into the revolution with a share of responsability for the genocide that was just carried out.  Forgive me for not thinking that Steve gave us an accurate view of the situation.

There was also the dam mission.  What was at stake in that one, again?  And where was it?  Oh yes, on a planet in more or less permanent rebellion.  For some reason, the UWM don't feel compelled to crush all opposition.

Anyway, you're being awfully vague with this UWM stuff.  UWM this, UWM that, UWM here, UWM there.  I never saw a one in my life.  Where were all the UWM people, anyway?

Who gives out the weapons on the Parcelesus' sword?  Who wakes up the prisoners?  Who does the research?  Who crews the ship?  Who fires the guns?

In the end I wasn't on a UWM ship.  I was on Steve's ship, under his command.  You say those atrocities were permitted?  Absolutely.  They were permitted by Steve.

That the UWM shares some responsability by failing to put him out of commision?  Sure, I'll agree to that.  The UWM are assholes."

"Anyway, this is enjoyable, but do you have anything specific to ask me, or of me?

I'd be glad to stop philosophising about stuff and try to figure out what's actually going on.  Speaking of which, you, quite understandably, never told me if you understand anything fundamental about space magic, or if you still have your brainchips in."

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: February 06, 2015, 09:55:57 pm »

Charles records his conversation:
"Funny how the mining colony was completely filled with that mist and had been in contact with it for quite a while before they stepped in. Almost as if they were planning on using it as a testbed. The UWM's tasking for that assassination mission was precisely to crush rebellion, Steve's objective was to assassinate the king, that did not require us to perform any acts of violence against the populace. If we had known what Steve's true motive was at the time, we wouldn't have even tried to stop the rebellion, we would have opened the main guards and ushered them forth.

And it WAS a UWM ship. Do you really think that if Steve just commandeered a ship, armed prisoners and researched alien technology, they would just let that happen? In fact, if you do, then that in itself would still be a serious issue.

All I wanted to do was find some common ground and perhaps some reason to parole you. It seems this has been in vain. As for the space magic, it isn't something I work with."

Charles leaves the room and sends the recording to his commanding officers for review along with a request for access to the Xan clone for the purposes of making an amorphous fleshsuit.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: February 07, 2015, 09:12:42 am »

4.Hmm. This could be problematic. You're gonna have to have motors and shit built into the legs, room for wheel, etc. It's gonna make the legs bigger and possibly more clumsy.

When Tavik was designing his 5m tall robot, he also wanted it to have wheels on the legs (retractable roller blade-like things), and that didn't give any problems. Sure, his suit was probably a bit lighter, meaning smaller wheels and motors, but still. Why would it be such a problem now, if it wasn't at all before?

Secondly, remember that project for creating a library of exoskeleton designs? Well, one of the things I asked for were:
C) Heavy exoskeleton, like the one used in a battlesuit
D) Same as C, but with more dexterity instead of raw strength (for projects like Sean's or Tavik's fast assault mech)

With this, I meant a skeleton like the one which a battlesuit is built around, the one that it always needs to be able to move, and not an exoskeleton that goes 'around the suit' itself. So 'exo' is from the point of view of the pilot, not the entire suit itself. I thought it'd be clear what was meant (an exoskeleton to go around the suit itself would be kinda silly), but apparently there is some confusion.

For example, syv doesn't think that what I asked for is actually in that library, so could you confirm what it has? I have the entire post in the quote, if that helps:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:11:50 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: February 07, 2015, 09:16:45 am »

When Tavik was designing his 5m tall robot, he also wanted it to have wheels on the legs (retractable roller blade-like things), and that didn't give any problems. Sure, his suit was probably a bit lighter, meaning smaller wheels and motors, but still. Why would it be such a problem now, if it wasn't at all before?

((I would assume same reason why Anton's electric fan jetpack worked before as a MACS module, heh. :P))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: February 07, 2015, 09:19:57 am »

((I would assume same reason why Anton's electric fan jetpack worked before as a MACS module, heh. :P))

((Sure, if pw says "because before I didn't realize the problems with it, but now I do upon thinking about it again" that's perfectly good for me. Just wanna make sure there isn't some sort of misunderstanding at the basis of it.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: February 08, 2015, 06:29:16 am »

((Okay, so. In the Heph OOC thread, starting from around here, we started tossing around some actual numbers and constructive estimates instead of usability concerns, and have bumped into a specific number we need a few questions answered about. The actual posts provide the details, but the actual number is what's important if you don't want to read all that.

Question: How large/heavy/expensive will a generator providing 200 kilowatts of power be? I recall there being different tech levels of generator, and some sort of new research being performed for better generators. On different ends of the scale - how heavy would a "cheap" generator of that power be (i.e. around 5 tokens' cost?), and how expensive would a "compact" generator of that power be (size of a medium backpack, no more than 50kg weight), if it is at all possible? For reference, 200 kilowatts is roughly the amount of power consumed by a small office building, 2 kilowatts is what you could get from a typical wall outlet. We've no idea how it translates to TPUs, even.

))

Anyway. Lets see. 200 kilowatt in cheap is gonna be basically unusable. Thing would be the size of a washing machine. And I feel like things up from there would become unreasonable in terms of cost, probably nearly doubling the MKIII's base cost.

What I would suggest instead is using those new batteries we just developed. They would require occasional changing,  which is a maintenance cost, but they would provide that power you need without being massively heavy or stupidly expensive. Depending on how long you want them to function on a single battery, you could get the size down to something basically completely negligible. Or increase the operational time by scaling it up some.
((Kinda disappointing, but not unexpected. Half a washing machine at 100kW isn't terribly good either.))

Okay, so how compact/prolonged can we get with rechargeable or expendable batteries?
Assume a 100kW output, because we can scale it up/down from there. The entire thing must be at most 50kg in mass, and preferably not increase the cost of the suit by more than 3-5 token, but the latter is not a requirement.

Specific configurations:
  • Consumable battery. A single-use conventional battery designed to be quickly swapped out if needed. Would there be any capacity increase over rechargeable batteries? Would it be in any way enough to bother with the option?
  • Rechargeable battery. An integrated solution like a phone battery, designed to plug into an external generator for recharge. How small/cheap a generator would be able to recharge it to full over say 10 hours?
  • Consumable Bluerad cell. A single-use blueraditite-based power cell, designed to be swapped out easily when needed. How expensive would the cell be?
  • Hybrid rechargeable/bluerad cell. I don't know how much the pure rechargeable will last, but - assuming about 30kg of mass is rechargeable battery, and 20kg is consumable bluerad cell, how long will the respective systems be able to provide power for? Intended for "extendable missions", where the user will spend the rechargeable most of the time, but switch to the more expensive bluerad cell if the mission has to be prolonged or extra power is needed. How expensive would the bluerad cell be? How small relative to the conventional battery can it be to still hold ~200% of the battery's maximum charge?
How long will each of these be able to sustain 100kW of power output?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:37:52 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: February 08, 2015, 01:01:41 pm »

Cossault hartlesuit 2.0 design (New Battlesuit design)

1.Clear plastic domes over the cameras would work fine for eyelids, yes.

2.I don't care what the new location of the external cockpit latch is, as long as it's away.  Stick it in a different maintnance panel or something.

3.The leg wheels: Try and make an effort to avoid the suit being made more clumsy, but making it too large to really fit inside buildings is fine.  Mobility outside buildings is more important than mobility inside.

4.Failing the above, would it be possible to have some sort of assembly in the shins?  Basically, allowing the battlesuit to drive around while kneeling?

Old Battlesuit variant questions (I might need to design equivalent variants):

5.There's an 'extreme environment' battlesuit variant.  Does it just have armor that's more varied in it's protective measures, or does it have more interesting stuff like those anti-magic rods?

6.There's an 'Urban' battlesuit variant.  What difference exist between it and a standard Battlesuit?

Heavy Robobody (you may remember, I designed a miniaturized battlesuit with the cockpit and systems replaced by a braincase.  It only had three layers of armor, rather than five, and could just barely fir through doors.):

7.I want to take my old Heavy Robobody design, then swap the bottom two layers of armor for the new types; Hexbug and Hexsand, with a sharkplate backing.  Also, trade the protective joint sleeves for sharkplate.  This should allow it to move around inside much easier.

Random Bluerad questions:

8.You say that bluerad batteries are more cost efficient than generators, at least for short durations.  Say I have a generator that will produce x power for an arbitrary length of time, and a bluerad battery that will produce x power for y days.  At what point is it cheaper (in tokens) to have a generator than a battery?

9.Same as the above, but I want to know for volume.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #968 on: February 09, 2015, 02:29:06 pm »

Charles records his conversation:
"Funny how the mining colony was completely filled with that mist and had been in contact with it for quite a while before they stepped in. Almost as if they were planning on using it as a testbed. The UWM's tasking for that assassination mission was precisely to crush rebellion, Steve's objective was to assassinate the king, that did not require us to perform any acts of violence against the populace. If we had known what Steve's true motive was at the time, we wouldn't have even tried to stop the rebellion, we would have opened the main guards and ushered them forth.

And it WAS a UWM ship. Do you really think that if Steve just commandeered a ship, armed prisoners and researched alien technology, they would just let that happen? In fact, if you do, then that in itself would still be a serious issue.

All I wanted to do was find some common ground and perhaps some reason to parole you. It seems this has been in vain. As for the space magic, it isn't something I work with."

Charles leaves the room and sends the recording to his commanding officers for review along with a request for access to the Xan clone for the purposes of making an amorphous fleshsuit.
Done and done

Secondly, remember that project for creating a library of exoskeleton designs? Well, one of the things I asked for were:
C) Heavy exoskeleton, like the one used in a battlesuit
D) Same as C, but with more dexterity instead of raw strength (for projects like Sean's or Tavik's fast assault mech)

With this, I meant a skeleton like the one which a battlesuit is built around, the one that it always needs to be able to move, and not an exoskeleton that goes 'around the suit' itself. So 'exo' is from the point of view of the pilot, not the entire suit itself. I thought it'd be clear what was meant (an exoskeleton to go around the suit itself would be kinda silly), but apparently there is some confusion.

For example, syv doesn't think that what I asked for is actually in that library, so could you confirm what it has? I have the entire post in the quote, if that helps:

If I remember right, the reason why I ok'd the wheels with Tavik is because they were there since the inception and things were balanced around them. He started from a suit found in anime, a suit which basically only got around using the wheels, so they were central to the design. And If I remember correctly they weren't really retractable, just mostly flush with the feet.

The wheels on this suit will work, I was just saying they're gonna make the feet bigger and that, since the suit is balanced and designed for walking, not rollerskating, it's gonna require some balance on the part of the pilot to use, at least at any real speed or during tight turns and the like.

And yeah, lets say you have access to the exoskeleton thats under all the battle suit armor.

))

((Kinda disappointing, but not unexpected. Half a washing machine at 100kW isn't terribly good either.))

Okay, so how compact/prolonged can we get with rechargeable or expendable batteries?
Assume a 100kW output, because we can scale it up/down from there. The entire thing must be at most 50kg in mass, and preferably not increase the cost of the suit by more than 3-5 token, but the latter is not a requirement.

Specific configurations:
  • Consumable battery. A single-use conventional battery designed to be quickly swapped out if needed. Would there be any capacity increase over rechargeable batteries? Would it be in any way enough to bother with the option?
  • Rechargeable battery. An integrated solution like a phone battery, designed to plug into an external generator for recharge. How small/cheap a generator would be able to recharge it to full over say 10 hours?
  • Consumable Bluerad cell. A single-use blueraditite-based power cell, designed to be swapped out easily when needed. How expensive would the cell be?
  • Hybrid rechargeable/bluerad cell. I don't know how much the pure rechargeable will last, but - assuming about 30kg of mass is rechargeable battery, and 20kg is consumable bluerad cell, how long will the respective systems be able to provide power for? Intended for "extendable missions", where the user will spend the rechargeable most of the time, but switch to the more expensive bluerad cell if the mission has to be prolonged or extra power is needed. How expensive would the bluerad cell be? How small relative to the conventional battery can it be to still hold ~200% of the battery's maximum charge?
How long will each of these be able to sustain 100kW of power output?
Handling this elsewhere.

Cossault hartlesuit 2.0 design (New Battlesuit design)

1.Clear plastic domes over the cameras would work fine for eyelids, yes.

2.I don't care what the new location of the external cockpit latch is, as long as it's away.  Stick it in a different maintnance panel or something.

3.The leg wheels: Try and make an effort to avoid the suit being made more clumsy, but making it too large to really fit inside buildings is fine.  Mobility outside buildings is more important than mobility inside.

4.Failing the above, would it be possible to have some sort of assembly in the shins?  Basically, allowing the battlesuit to drive around while kneeling?

Old Battlesuit variant questions (I might need to design equivalent variants):

5.There's an 'extreme environment' battlesuit variant.  Does it just have armor that's more varied in it's protective measures, or does it have more interesting stuff like those anti-magic rods?

6.There's an 'Urban' battlesuit variant.  What difference exist between it and a standard Battlesuit?

Heavy Robobody (you may remember, I designed a miniaturized battlesuit with the cockpit and systems replaced by a braincase.  It only had three layers of armor, rather than five, and could just barely fir through doors.):

7.I want to take my old Heavy Robobody design, then swap the bottom two layers of armor for the new types; Hexbug and Hexsand, with a sharkplate backing.  Also, trade the protective joint sleeves for sharkplate.  This should allow it to move around inside much easier.

Random Bluerad questions:

8.You say that bluerad batteries are more cost efficient than generators, at least for short durations.  Say I have a generator that will produce x power for an arbitrary length of time, and a bluerad battery that will produce x power for y days.  At what point is it cheaper (in tokens) to have a generator than a battery?

9.Same as the above, but I want to know for volume.

1. Ok
2.Ok.
3. It would only really be potentially clumsy while using the wheels at higher speeds or harder maneuvers.
5. It's basically just designed to deal better with the more mundane things. Radiation, electricity, heat, cold, crushing forces, long falls, acids, corrosion, etc etc. It won't protect from space magic. Well, it will from certain ones, but it's not using anything magical itself. Though it could use automanips in the setup to increase the protection.
6. Less armor, faster movement, designed for close range fighting with more built in protection systems like the claymores. Somewhat similar to your design.
7.Alright.
8-9. Oh god. Um thats a graph I don't want to make. It kinda depends on the situation honestly. In general, generators are better for smaller amounts of power consistently. Radite is better for large amounts of power for a limited time. The "Cross over" point depends a lot on the perspective use of the power. I mean, if you're using it to power a base or something, generator is probably always gonna be better in the long run.

The big thing is "are you going to use it long enough that the generator pays for itself monetarily as well as in the hassle of lugging it around"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: February 09, 2015, 03:44:00 pm »

((So, who would those superior officers be, what with Pyro being somewhat occupied with university I think?
I'm eager to get to army building.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: February 09, 2015, 04:11:56 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

((After some rapid message exchange, the following has been hammered out for the MkIII-A flight suit.))

Assuming I got all of that right, a prototype of this is going to be built for the next shipment to the Sword.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #971 on: February 09, 2015, 04:39:29 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

((After some rapid message exchange, the following has been hammered out for the MkIII-A flight suit.))

Assuming I got all of that right, a prototype of this is going to be built for the next shipment to the Sword.

Transcript of the conversation, for reference.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: February 09, 2015, 05:03:08 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

Transcript of the conversation, for reference.
Just posting this without the code tag so I can figure out what exactly it says.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: February 10, 2015, 06:17:21 am »

Question, would it be possible to have some sort of air tank stapled onto the suit? Just for underwater missions.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #974 on: February 10, 2015, 07:26:47 am »

Question, would it be possible to have some sort of air tank stapled onto the suit? Just for underwater missions.
It is based on a spacesuit that is capable of recycling the air inside it for days, so I assume an air tank is not needed, unless Sean removed the air recycling system for some reason. Also, OOC thread.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 84