Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177373 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #825 on: November 19, 2014, 12:45:25 am »

((Okay, let me make something clear to you: Radio has told me that I need to take a firmer hand with this kind of thing before (he actually offered to be my boogyman). If you order construction again, this time Simus is going to notice it. You're not supposed to be doing that, so she'll not be happy. You get one warning (not counting this), and then she'll consider you ineligible to work on Hephaestus, and you will be sent back to the Sword at the first opportunity.

You are supposed to be designing things, experimenting with new artifacts (Simus would like information about both activities), being the medic (not much to do), and overseeing the fleshpit's production (that does not include expanding them). Your ability to act alone ends there.

...Oh, really?  Wow, sorry, I had assumed the rules about us not constructing things without Simus or other authorization were just there so that if we went to build something you didn't like, you could just say "no".  It's nice that I have no obligation to do things I don't find fun, like managing construction- plus, now it's not me that people are annoyed with.  Saint would be pissed, but he's greedy.

For Pyro: When you say it's my job to oversee the fleshpit, does that include the biochemical forges, which produce sod brains?  They're kinda in the same area, so I'd think so, but I want to make sure.

((Yours is doing nonspecific armor research. Mine is doing research specifically around that particular item, which has potential for armor research, among other things.

Actually, Radio is rather specific with his experiment.  He's having ARESTEVE analyze everything, which should (and has!) take a long time.  You're just doing a small subset of his experiment, which by comparison should be done in a very short period of time.

((That is precisely the purpose. If you want something built, you ask for it, not order it built yourself. And yes, your purview includes the biochemical forges. Just like Anton's includes all things shipbuilding, from the ground yard to the catapult to the soon-to-be orbital yard.

And having ARESTEVE (speaking of him, I'm not sure if Simus has ever been to see him in the synthflesh...) analyze all possibilities is the very definition of nonspecific.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 19, 2014, 04:36:47 am »

Army talk.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 19, 2014, 10:56:38 am »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 19, 2014, 09:39:01 pm »

((Grr.  I'm so conflicted about the experiment.  On one hand, I don't want to let the gun have any chance of getting free of containment, but on the other, It's best if we try to make it ally with us, and there's probably not much risk even if it does get free.  I'm tempted to just assign a research crew to it, because they probably won't mess anything up, but I don't want to just give up.))

1.Send a message to Simus telling her that we now have the compactment manip required to create the SMF, and that it's ready for use.

Experiment:

2.How does the bakelite infusion work?  I'm guessing it fills the entire chamber with molten plastic, trapping whatever is inside?

3.Before I go and do the stupid things below, check if there's something included in the place that could be used to communicate with the gun, like a wall tablet or something.  If so, open that up and ask the body if it can write or draw on it to communicate.  Also check for a method to pass items in without breaching containment, and if one exists, use that instead of the below stupid things.

4.Make sure the gun indicated that it can write before doing anything.  If it can, request the gun to stand in whichever corner is farthest from the entrance, then open up the turrets and have them aimed directly at the body.  Don't fire unless the body does not comply, or shoots at something.

5.Get two robosods to possess aux bodies, and then grab goop throwers, some drawing pads, and full tablets.  Station them outside where the containment chamber will be opened to, with robosods that have goop & namite throwers a distance away from them.

6.Once everything is ready, have the containment chamber opened to those aux bodies.  If the gun moves, the turrets should shoot to disable, and the aux bodies shoot to immobilize.  If the gun doesn't move, the aux bodies enter, and then containment is closed again.  Then they set the writing stuff down, and take positions flanking the door.

7.Tell the gun that it can move now, but not to fire at either of the sods.  Request that it write something down, and any questions or requests that it may have.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #829 on: November 20, 2014, 01:51:49 pm »

((Okay, I wrote this earlier in OOC thread, but it went unnoticed by the GM there. I suppose.
Piecewise, can we please have a separate Hephaestus OOC thread?
I really want to honor PyroDesu's request of no extra OOC chatter here, but some things are worth a discussion, like the ARM military forces composition as above, or various other ARM-strategy or technological advancement topics.
And General OOC thread, while nice, is not cut for it. We need an on-topic OOC game-related thread.))
Of course! Let me just. Oh wait.

For a moment, Charles was thankful that he no longer had a mouth or any simulacrum thereof, for if he did, he would have been caught with it half open, taken by surprised by the sudden transition from rambling insults to a logical argument. Though only for a moment. "How long doesn't matter, for whatever that length of time is, it is far longer than I would have lasted in the HMRC. Were you not a convict as was I? Were you not sentenced to what amounted to an extended death penalty? Surely the possibility of possible imprisonment at some unspecified length of time is better than a more nearer, more certain death?

If Steve succeeds and removes the bureaucracy and tech bans, if he then becomes similar to the UWM, so what? It's back to square one, sans the tech bans and bureaucracy, a net gain I would think.

You speak of selfless sacrifice, yet argue in terms of selfish thoughts. You talk of being willing to lay down your life, yet try to convince me to take measures to supposedly preserve my own. Why is that?

And again, if there is nothing that appeals to you, then why bother living? You had your chance, you blew it. Now what? Like I said, something must be keeping you going, and I don't think watching these events from a cell just in case you get a opportunity to say 'told you so' is going to cut it."

Speak. If possible, charge up charisma dynamic bonus.

"Yes, a world without tech bans will surely be better. Unless is spawns something like the altered. Or how about the quiet worlds? I'll remind you that, when the independent worlds of man were cut off during the altered wars and allowed to do as they wish, they, almost without exception, perished or changed in some unrecognizable way. And now you want to unleash that upon us all?

And, I will ask again, where will this end? If you succeed who is going to run things? Will there even be a central government? Who will lead it? Jim or Miya or one of Steve's handpicked warlords with delusions of grandeur?

And yes, there is something that appeals to me. A second chance."

Anton Chernozorov

For probably the first time since the takeover of Hephaestus, Anton feels bored. Most of the planet's resources are tied up in various ongoing tasks, artifact research is beyond him, and almost everything there is to do involves giving orders and watching the workers or the biocomputer do stuff from afar.

He smiles to himself. 'Almost' everything. Anton stands up to go to the VR machines, but then his wristpad beeps. He looks at it. "Huh. Think of the devil..."

With a mental shrug, Anton casually rollerblades down to ARESTEVE's chamber, to see what the biocomputer needs of him.
You head over to the elevator down to the node and, after several long minutes of descent, reach the subterranean bunker. ARESTEVE has remodeled it significantly since it was last scene, expanding it and adding  what appears to be a good sized laboratory, where he is currently at work on some sort of weapon, or maybe handheld sensor. Hard to say.

>Ah, good. You're here. Steve has relayed the plans for something and he asked be to deliver them specifically to you. He says he wants at least a half dozen of these. He'll import the FTL equipment and stasis systems with the next supply run.

He hands you a datachip without looking up from what he's working on.

>He wants it kept quiet, or at least as quiet as possible. Reports through me, not the normal chain of command.

((Grr.  I'm so conflicted about the experiment.  On one hand, I don't want to let the gun have any chance of getting free of containment, but on the other, It's best if we try to make it ally with us, and there's probably not much risk even if it does get free.  I'm tempted to just assign a research crew to it, because they probably won't mess anything up, but I don't want to just give up.))

1.Send a message to Simus telling her that we now have the compactment manip required to create the SMF, and that it's ready for use.

Experiment:

2.How does the bakelite infusion work?  I'm guessing it fills the entire chamber with molten plastic, trapping whatever is inside?

3.Before I go and do the stupid things below, check if there's something included in the place that could be used to communicate with the gun, like a wall tablet or something.  If so, open that up and ask the body if it can write or draw on it to communicate.  Also check for a method to pass items in without breaching containment, and if one exists, use that instead of the below stupid things.

4.Make sure the gun indicated that it can write before doing anything.  If it can, request the gun to stand in whichever corner is farthest from the entrance, then open up the turrets and have them aimed directly at the body.  Don't fire unless the body does not comply, or shoots at something.

5.Get two robosods to possess aux bodies, and then grab goop throwers, some drawing pads, and full tablets.  Station them outside where the containment chamber will be opened to, with robosods that have goop & namite throwers a distance away from them.

6.Once everything is ready, have the containment chamber opened to those aux bodies.  If the gun moves, the turrets should shoot to disable, and the aux bodies shoot to immobilize.  If the gun doesn't move, the aux bodies enter, and then containment is closed again.  Then they set the writing stuff down, and take positions flanking the door.

7.Tell the gun that it can move now, but not to fire at either of the sods.  Request that it write something down, and any questions or requests that it may have.

1. Well, you don't have it, but it's coming soon.
2.Pretty much. I didn't count it because it would probably leak in to the rifle and render it either inoperable or at least very difficult to clean.
3.We have an airlock system which we can use to pass them a datapad. We'll do that now.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 20, 2014, 07:27:17 pm »

"Do you really think, that the Altered will be as much of a problem then as it was before? Do you really think that many people would be lining up to take treatments similar to what spawned those abominations? We know what the Altered are, how they act. A luxury that we lacked back then. We will be united, capable of crushing them in their earliest outbreaks, quite unlike how humanity was fragmented back then.

If I were you, I'd be far more concerned about the unknown, the eldritch. What future horrors our development may uncover that will sow death and ruin alike. Such is an inevitability as eventually, we will hit one, for we can avoid only what we know, our past mistakes, the mistakes of the quiet worlds, not the unforeseeable future. Yes, lifting the tech ban would allow such to transpire. However, so will the status quo. Except with everyone less prepared. Surely you cannot be as deluded as to think that the tech ban is universal? It certainly is not!

Think about it, corporations in cahoots with the UWM have quite a bit of leeway, do they not? What about the HMRC itself? The Hazardous Material Reacquisition Corps? The people sent to recover alien artifacts and quiet world technology. Do you honestly think the UWM just used to send convicts to take those things for no reason? Do you honestly believe that they weren't being reverse-engineered or used as black-box technology? I can assure they were and still are used for that very purpose. The tech bans do not protect anyone, except perhaps the UWM's grip on power. When one of those companies, or research facilities do instigate something unexpected, something calamitous, something ruinous, it is the common people, the people you wish to protect who will suffer. They are the ones affected by the tech bans, the ones denied the capacity to protect themselves adequately.

Lifting this farce of a tech ban does not automatically make developments compulsory, those who are cautious such as yourself could always simply opt out of radical development, receive the fruits of the progress to defend yourselves with and be spared whatever horror is unleashed. As for a quiet world scenario, that requires all human civilization to adopt the same technological path, not entirely likely, especially considering that planets that are involved in research or technology have a tendency to specialize. If such a scenario were to occur, a few worlds will fall. At most. Not humanity as a whole, who will learn from those mistakes and avoid them.

Yes, it will make those inevitabilities occur early, yet by definition, inevitabilities are inevitable and it is better to face them earlier but far better equipped to deal with them, than it is to face them later in a stagnant state.

As for leadership, I doubt any of our commanders will be running it. They are military units, far more suited to leading soldiers than dealing with politics, and I would think that when this is all over, they'd rather just live a more peaceful life amidst comrades and friends. Chances are, the result will be led by the leaders of rebelling worlds, suitable rebel or elected leaders from worlds that did not wholly rebel, and puppets for where no one is sufficiently competent. A form of centralized power is indeed necessary, I believe the Altered Wars showed why."

Enhance delivery using CHARISMA. As in, "make it seem logical, well-thought out, and otherwise convincing", not as in "seduce the prisoner".
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 21, 2014, 02:36:21 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

Anton takes the chip and looks it over, somewhat surprised. "Curiouser and curiouser..."
Thinking for a moment, he decides that the most protected chamber in the base is as good a place as any to view secret information, and walks to lean his back on the side of ARESTEVE's chamber, plugging the datachip into his datapad to see what the blueprints are of.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 21, 2014, 07:13:31 pm »

1. How large is the airlock?  What could we fit in there, for future reference?

2.Well, we passed in the datapad.  Ask the gun to write any questions it has on it.  If the gun has no questions, start asking the below:

3.What are you?

4.What was the purpose of the group that you were a part of?

5.Who led the group?

6.How did the people in that group gain their powers?

((Other questions occured to me, like "What was the purpose of the eggs in the room you guarded" or "Where did your group go?" but I don't want to give the gun any information yet.  Also, we can probably figure out the eggs, and their data might answer the second question.

If anyone has ideas for other questions to ask, I'd be happy to hear them.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: November 22, 2014, 07:52:17 am »

((I am assuming that sending messages via robobody is a free action. If not, disregard this post.))
Quote from: C. Leroux > Commander Ferratum-Inanis
It seems that the prisoner is driven by fear of what an ARM victory would usher in. He fears that Steve and whomever he chooses as leaders would create some sort of oppressive regime to consolidate their power and that the tech bans would allow a disaster such as the Altered to occur once more, or that it would turn all of human civilization into the large-scale equivalent of a dead Quiet World.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #834 on: November 22, 2014, 12:26:13 pm »

"Do you really think, that the Altered will be as much of a problem then as it was before? Do you really think that many people would be lining up to take treatments similar to what spawned those abominations? We know what the Altered are, how they act. A luxury that we lacked back then. We will be united, capable of crushing them in their earliest outbreaks, quite unlike how humanity was fragmented back then.

If I were you, I'd be far more concerned about the unknown, the eldritch. What future horrors our development may uncover that will sow death and ruin alike. Such is an inevitability as eventually, we will hit one, for we can avoid only what we know, our past mistakes, the mistakes of the quiet worlds, not the unforeseeable future. Yes, lifting the tech ban would allow such to transpire. However, so will the status quo. Except with everyone less prepared. Surely you cannot be as deluded as to think that the tech ban is universal? It certainly is not!

Think about it, corporations in cahoots with the UWM have quite a bit of leeway, do they not? What about the HMRC itself? The Hazardous Material Reacquisition Corps? The people sent to recover alien artifacts and quiet world technology. Do you honestly think the UWM just used to send convicts to take those things for no reason? Do you honestly believe that they weren't being reverse-engineered or used as black-box technology? I can assure they were and still are used for that very purpose. The tech bans do not protect anyone, except perhaps the UWM's grip on power. When one of those companies, or research facilities do instigate something unexpected, something calamitous, something ruinous, it is the common people, the people you wish to protect who will suffer. They are the ones affected by the tech bans, the ones denied the capacity to protect themselves adequately.

Lifting this farce of a tech ban does not automatically make developments compulsory, those who are cautious such as yourself could always simply opt out of radical development, receive the fruits of the progress to defend yourselves with and be spared whatever horror is unleashed. As for a quiet world scenario, that requires all human civilization to adopt the same technological path, not entirely likely, especially considering that planets that are involved in research or technology have a tendency to specialize. If such a scenario were to occur, a few worlds will fall. At most. Not humanity as a whole, who will learn from those mistakes and avoid them.

Yes, it will make those inevitabilities occur early, yet by definition, inevitabilities are inevitable and it is better to face them earlier but far better equipped to deal with them, than it is to face them later in a stagnant state.

As for leadership, I doubt any of our commanders will be running it. They are military units, far more suited to leading soldiers than dealing with politics, and I would think that when this is all over, they'd rather just live a more peaceful life amidst comrades and friends. Chances are, the result will be led by the leaders of rebelling worlds, suitable rebel or elected leaders from worlds that did not wholly rebel, and puppets for where no one is sufficiently competent. A form of centralized power is indeed necessary, I believe the Altered Wars showed why."

Enhance delivery using CHARISMA. As in, "make it seem logical, well-thought out, and otherwise convincing", not as in "seduce the prisoner".
He listens silently to your speech.

"I suggest" he says, a bit less aggressively, "That you try to find hard, definite answers to my questions. Not just for my sake but for yours as well. This is too important to by flying by the seat of our pants with no answers about the future."

Anton Chernozorov

Anton takes the chip and looks it over, somewhat surprised. "Curiouser and curiouser..."
Thinking for a moment, he decides that the most protected chamber in the base is as good a place as any to view secret information, and walks to lean his back on the side of ARESTEVE's chamber, plugging the datachip into his datapad to see what the blueprints are of.
The plans seem to be for a ship; an odd sort of ship indeed. Autonomous, fitted with FTL drives, and with every spare inch of space filled with stasis pods. But not normal pods, their dimensions are far too small, maybe the size of a basket ball.  There's also what looks like a large cargohold in the back. There's nothing in the room, save for a huge number of power outlets linked straight to the ship's generator. Curious indeed.

1. How large is the airlock?  What could we fit in there, for future reference?

2.Well, we passed in the datapad.  Ask the gun to write any questions it has on it.  If the gun has no questions, start asking the below:

3.What are you?

4.What was the purpose of the group that you were a part of?

5.Who led the group?

6.How did the people in that group gain their powers?

((Other questions occured to me, like "What was the purpose of the eggs in the room you guarded" or "Where did your group go?" but I don't want to give the gun any information yet.  Also, we can probably figure out the eggs, and their data might answer the second question.

If anyone has ideas for other questions to ask, I'd be happy to hear them.))
There's one which is how we get people in and out, and then a second, smaller one about a foot or so high and wide.

2. It picks up the data pad and just sort of stands there.

3. It points  at itself. That is, it points at the gun.

4. It doesn't seem to understand. It mimes shooting with the gun.

5. The thing sits there for a while, scribbling on the pad and eventually holds up a crude drawing of an older looking man.

6.He points at the drawing again.

((I am assuming that sending messages via robobody is a free action. If not, disregard this post.))
It seems that the prisoner is driven by fear of what an ARM victory would usher in. He fears that Steve and whomever he chooses as leaders would create some sort of oppressive regime to consolidate their power and that the tech bans would allow a disaster such as the Altered to occur once more, or that it would turn all of human civilization into the large-scale equivalent of a dead Quiet World.
thats fine.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 22, 2014, 08:51:18 pm »

((Time to make up for lost time. Or to discover the hard way that Nyars has the ability to teleport :P))
Charles nods in agreement "Very well, I shall return to you with answers regarding the planned organizational structure." he then leaves the room, making sure that whatever security measures in place are reactivated.

Charles researches the following:
  • What do most UWM soldiers do after their term of duty?
  • Have there been any cases where specialist units have defected due to appeals towards their sociopathic nature?
  • What were the causes of the government rebellions?
  • How quickly does the UWM deal with rebellions?

Charles asks ARESTEVE and/or Steve the following:
  • Have there been any instances in the HMRC where people have seen a seven-eyed, seven-horned lamb?
  • Have there been any instances in the HMRC where someone who was afflicted with a mental illness hallucinated something that they normally do not?
  • How will human civilization be structured and organized should the ARM win the war?
  • What measures will be in place to deal with another event as calamitous as the Altered should such occur?
  • Are the reasons for Quiet Worlds becoming dead or unrecognizable even related to technological development? Or does it seem to be more due to the isolation, divergent development in all areas and various other sociological issues?
  • Does the UWM use, reverse-engineer or otherwise employ technology from dead Quiet Worlds?
  • Did technology create the Altered? Or did it merely allow something else to create them?
  • Are robobodies able to record visual and audio feeds?
  • Is there any way to record thoughts or hallucinations?

Charles opens Tinker and investigates the following:
  • Is it feasible to create a conversion kit that changes any conventional weapon with sufficiently low (no strength requirements to avoid injury) recoil into something like the Pawn SFE? That is, a weapon that has detachable, remotely operated turret stand and scope along with the ability to fire it via wristpad?
  • How much would each kit cost, token-wise?
  • Is it theoretically possible to create a program that can allow such a converted weapon to effectively used by a technical specialist in turret configuration (Switch the relevant stat from CON to AUX without physical changes)?
  • Can a robobody be made slim enough to support an outerlayer of sentient Xanflesh but still be as protective as before by using better integrated armor and whatnot?
  • Is it possible for him to summon VR versions of himself and Lars for the purposes of brainstorming ideas for propaganda with them?

Finally when it's all over, he tries to ignore the amount of bold text his vision had been suddenly been inundated with.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 23, 2014, 06:05:29 am »

Anton Chernozorov

As much as he'd like to stay and find out more about what ARESTEVE is doing down here, Anton now has things to do. "I'll be starting the work, then. There's a lot of construction going on right now, so I think I can get this done without attracting undue suspicion. I'll keep you posted." With that, he turns and leaves ARESTEVE's chamber, heading to the shipyard.

Once there, he takes stock of what he can do on his lonesome. Does the shipyard have regular worker crews? Construction drones? Assembly lines? Exactly how difficult is it to just walk in here and start building something from scratch?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: November 24, 2014, 03:26:10 am »

Quote from: Simus>Charles
I think the Quiet Worlds are dead from isolation, not from technological advance. As for another disaster like the Altered - think of the probability. Even the Altered disaster itself, I think something's off about it. As for what government Steve puts in, you need to ask him.

3  "Brisant" Gauss Grenade Launcher
Ammo: Comes with either 1 high-explosive grenade or 1 fragmentation grenade. Extra grenades: 1 token for a pack of 2
Range: Melee -2, Short 0, Medium +1, Long 0, Extreme N/A Note: To use it in Melee, the user must override the grenade's detonator.
Special:
   Arming Override: With the press of a button, the user can override grenade detonation, either disarming the grenade, detonating it immediately, or allowing unfired grenades to be armed.
Description: The Brisant is essentially the same as the standard Gauss Rifle, however the caliber has been increased to 50mm and the magnetic coils dialed back to one-quarter the original strength. With a computer system in the launcher corresponding with small processors in the grenades, there are multiple ways to override the grenades' detonators - default setting lets the grenade reach 5 meters from the weapon before it can detonate (on impact).

In effect: Distressingly cheap and effective, with one instance where a single HE grenade took out the entire front of a civilian building.

PW and Council: How's that look for the grenade launcher?

And Construction Crew 2: Begin work on hardening Hephaestus' communications - building new QEC centers (so that we have at least 3 - triple redundancy) and burying them underground where they'll be safe from attack - including one off the command center.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 24, 2014, 01:26:44 pm »

((I'm honestly not sure what else to do with the gun.  It's dumb, so interrogation is probably useless (and I don't think I have IC information that it was commanded by the same UE as mission 5), and I don't want to deconstruct it before we have nice facilities like a Space Magic scanner.

Speaking of, Pyro, are you gonna work on the SMF?  I had been under the impression that it's our top priority.))

1.Ask the gun if it would be willing to demonstrate it's ability to shoot things, on particular objects.

2.If it is willing, I'd like to test the stuff in the below spoiler, which I requested 19 days ago.  Just the armor metals for now, because I know Empiricist already had you write a bunch of stuff. 

Spoiler: Materials For Testing (click to show/hide)

3.Ask the gun if it is concious when it doesn't have a physical body to control.

4.If the gun is not willing, ask it if it could please make the body it is using place it (the gun itself) on the ground.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #839 on: November 24, 2014, 01:30:13 pm »

Quote from: Simus>Charles
I think the Quiet Worlds are dead from isolation, not from technological advance. As for another disaster like the Altered - think of the probability. Even the Altered disaster itself, I think something's off about it. As for what government Steve puts in, you need to ask him.

3  "Brisant" Gauss Grenade Launcher
Ammo: Comes with either 1 high-explosive grenade or 1 fragmentation grenade. Extra grenades: 1 token for a pack of 2
Range: Melee -2, Short 0, Medium +1, Long 0, Extreme N/A Note: To use it in Melee, the user must override the grenade's detonator.
Special:
   Arming Override: With the press of a button, the user can override grenade detonation, either disarming the grenade, detonating it immediately, or allowing unfired grenades to be armed.
Description: The Brisant is essentially the same as the standard Gauss Rifle, however the caliber has been increased to 50mm and the magnetic coils dialed back to one-quarter the original strength. With a computer system in the launcher corresponding with small processors in the grenades, there are multiple ways to override the grenades' detonators - default setting lets the grenade reach 5 meters from the weapon before it can detonate (on impact).

In effect: Distressingly cheap and effective, with one instance where a single HE grenade took out the entire front of a civilian building.

PW and Council: How's that look for the grenade launcher?

And Construction Crew 2: Begin work on hardening Hephaestus' communications - building new QEC centers (so that we have at least 3 - triple redundancy) and burying them underground where they'll be safe from attack - including one off the command center.

I'll let you know what the council says.

Also, was this decision for the QEC comms essentially something like "Oh fuck, do we have our comms like that? Oh shit. Better build more of those."

Don't worry, we've already got plenty of back ups.

Anton Chernozorov

As much as he'd like to stay and find out more about what ARESTEVE is doing down here, Anton now has things to do. "I'll be starting the work, then. There's a lot of construction going on right now, so I think I can get this done without attracting undue suspicion. I'll keep you posted." With that, he turns and leaves ARESTEVE's chamber, heading to the shipyard.

Once there, he takes stock of what he can do on his lonesome. Does the shipyard have regular worker crews? Construction drones? Assembly lines? Exactly how difficult is it to just walk in here and start building something from scratch?

The shipyard you have isn't big enough, so nothing yet. Gonna need that floating space bound one. Either that or to expand the earth bound one.

((Time to make up for lost time. Or to discover the hard way that Nyars has the ability to teleport :P))
Charles nods in agreement "Very well, I shall return to you with answers regarding the planned organizational structure." he then leaves the room, making sure that whatever security measures in place are reactivated.

Charles researches the following:
  • What do most UWM soldiers do after their term of duty?
  • Have there been any cases where specialist units have defected due to appeals towards their sociopathic nature?
  • What were the causes of the government rebellions?
  • How quickly does the UWM deal with rebellions?

Charles asks ARESTEVE and/or Steve the following:
  • Have there been any instances in the HMRC where people have seen a seven-eyed, seven-horned lamb?
  • Have there been any instances in the HMRC where someone who was afflicted with a mental illness hallucinated something that they normally do not?
  • How will human civilization be structured and organized should the ARM win the war?
  • What measures will be in place to deal with another event as calamitous as the Altered should such occur?
  • Are the reasons for Quiet Worlds becoming dead or unrecognizable even related to technological development? Or does it seem to be more due to the isolation, divergent development in all areas and various other sociological issues?
  • Does the UWM use, reverse-engineer or otherwise employ technology from dead Quiet Worlds?
  • Did technology create the Altered? Or did it merely allow something else to create them?
  • Are robobodies able to record visual and audio feeds?
  • Is there any way to record thoughts or hallucinations?

Charles opens Tinker and investigates the following:
  • Is it feasible to create a conversion kit that changes any conventional weapon with sufficiently low (no strength requirements to avoid injury) recoil into something like the Pawn SFE? That is, a weapon that has detachable, remotely operated turret stand and scope along with the ability to fire it via wristpad?
  • How much would each kit cost, token-wise?
  • Is it theoretically possible to create a program that can allow such a converted weapon to effectively used by a technical specialist in turret configuration (Switch the relevant stat from CON to AUX without physical changes)?
  • Can a robobody be made slim enough to support an outerlayer of sentient Xanflesh but still be as protective as before by using better integrated armor and whatnot?
  • Is it possible for him to summon VR versions of himself and Lars for the purposes of brainstorming ideas for propaganda with them?

Finally when it's all over, he tries to ignore the amount of bold text his vision had been suddenly been inundated with.

1.Depends on the individual and their area of service. Many just return to civilian life, especially if they were stationed on their own planet. If not, and if time has passed in an exaggerated manner, they usually just settle on the nearest inhabited planet and use the money the service gives them to start a new life.
2.It has happened, though you have to remember not all of them are sociopaths. Many are just extremely ardent in their philosophical positions, so to speak. Still, it's a rare occurrence.
3.Mostly internal Coops as an attempt to gain power. None of them really had aspirations of changing the overall government, just putting themselves higher up in it.
4.Depends on severity and location. Core world, you'd be lucky to last a week. Out here on the outskirts, who knows. Depends on how quick they can move, how well they can anticipate actions and how powerful the threat is.

1.Some have been reported, though it is logged as a religious delusion so thats not terribly surprising.
2.Thats a bit of an odd criteria. Hallucinated something they normally wouldn't implies the hallucinations of the mentally ill are all nice and consistent.
3. Unknown yet, more then likely it will revert to a "City state" sort of deal, with planets being sovereign but connected by alliance. Sort of like the UWM but with the power in the individual planets, not in the central bureaucracy.
4.Well the planets will be much more connected, so it will be easier to coordinate. We'd essentially do the same thing as we did with the UWM in the altered wars but we'd have steve controlling everything and put in place lots of contingencies to make sure no one tried to pull the same "Now we're military leaders of the entire human race forever" thing.
5.We have no idea. We don't even know if the population is actually dead or missing. They might still be there in some form.
6.Sometimes. Though it's rare, they tend to just horde things.
7.It was the result of genetic manipulation experiments and distribution of materials via indie gene hackers, so yeah.
8.Yes
9.There are, but they're not compact. They require a good degree of calibration and sensors.

1.It would essentially be a motorized tripod, a clamp, and a camera, trigger assembly. Make everything attachable via adjustable pieces and I don't see why not.
2.I dunno, too vague right now. Probably not terribly much though.
3. I see where this is going. I suppose it could work.
4.A normal robot body could hold xan flesh, though it would look fat.
5. You could, but it may or may not function very well.

((I'm honestly not sure what else to do with the gun.  It's dumb, so interrogation is probably useless (and I don't think I have IC information that it was commanded by the same UE as mission 5), and I don't want to deconstruct it before we have nice facilities like a Space Magic scanner.

Speaking of, Pyro, are you gonna work on the SMF?  I had been under the impression that it's our top priority.))

1.Ask the gun if it would be willing to demonstrate it's ability to shoot things, on particular objects.

2.If it is willing, I'd like to test the stuff in the below spoiler, which I requested 19 days ago.  Just the armor metals for now, because I know Empiricist already had you write a bunch of stuff. 

Spoiler: Materials For Testing (click to show/hide)

3.Ask the gun if it is concious when it doesn't have a physical body to control.

4.If the gun is not willing, ask it if it could please make the body it is using place it (the gun itself) on the ground.

1.The body shrugs, though awkwardly and only with one shoulder.

You notice on the cam that the reason it's only shrugging with one shoulder is that some sort of glowing green corrosion has begun to eat through the other arm. Hmm. Might have to belay that testing if the thing is melting.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 84