Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177120 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus Techland: Big Brother is Watching
« Reply #990 on: February 15, 2015, 11:52:23 pm »

3:Nobody ever decided on when the science crew that's working on Anton's energetic slug projector or whatever is gonna be done.  He seemed to want to have a weekly roll to determine progress, but I'm not gonna be the guy to keep track of that.  :P
((I'll keep track of it, since it's my project. Next check on the 19th.

I just find it sort of weird how you can exactly know when the new technology you're just beginning to research is going to be ready for use. :P))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #991 on: February 16, 2015, 01:51:59 pm »

So would you guys like to do it the way sean suggested? Ie every time I post we do a roll on all the "NPC" run projects. Good rolls bring things forward, medium ones keep pace, bad ones represent delays or setbacks. Science teams could be used to give bonuses to rolls. It might make things faster, and give you more feedback.

((I was rather figuring you'd extrapolate from the last test done with HEP versus a battlesuit, though it's not inconceivable you don't even remember that took place. Here's your quote on the matter (it was done as part of a battery of tests):

A. Fire the following at VR Sods/generic VR people:

1. Laser Rifle
2. Gauss Rifle
3. Crystalline Projector
4. Sibilus Rifle
5. Cutting Laser
6. High Energy Projector
7. Piezoelectric Shard Launcher (original, not Testament)

B. Then do the above again, but with battlesuits. (Don't aim specifically for joints, I don't know about that weakness IC.)
<snip>

b.
1.Not much
2.Not much
3.Burrows slightly, but better at restraining then dealing real damage. Unless you catch a joint, then it can wrench it right off.
4. One shot? Not much.
5.Suit is very resistant to lasers, so even the cutting laser doesn't do much more then heat a glowing line across the armor. Assuming a swipe, not a concentrated beam over a good period.
6. Heats it red hot and throws it 20 feet backwards. Might shatter a layer of armor if the armor is already damaged.
7. Has good penetration but not so much that it would be really dangerous unless you got very lucky.
Emboldening mine.

I'm guessing the force delivered will be similar, but since it's focused on a smaller area the effect will be much greater.
Earlier we assumed/calculated the 3/4 beam to be half a meter across (assuming the HEP itself makes one 2 meters across like the original pyramid), so it can actually target some specific area on the battlesuit. Suppose a 3/4 shot is aimed at the top of its torso - would it be enough to comically toss it cartwheeling backwards, in addition to the damage the shot itself inflicts? :P))
One half would probably strip most the armor and hurl it back, 3/4ths would probably blow a big fat hole straight through it.

Could you give me a quick idea of how many solar systems/planets are easily/realistically reachable from Hep, and what they are like? Eg "there's 40 systems reachable, 30 are empty and the rest are small colonies, except for one that's more developed and garrisoned".

While working, Miya remembers he still has something he shold check up on, and contacts Charles.

"Hey Charles, Miyamoto here. How's it going? All still going well on my favorite dirtball in space?

Anyways, I'm calling you to ask if you've made any headway with those propaganda videos."

Also, review Charles' video.

Depends on what we define as reasonably.

Heph itself is fairly isolated, but the jump point has access to over a dozen other systems depending on how you enter it. How long, time wise, is considered reasonable?

"Yes sir, I have made a general video that is ready for review, though if you have a specific planet in mind I could probably do something better targeted."
Charles sends Miyamoto and Lars the propaganda video for review.

He also asks ARESTEVE if it has anything he might find of interest *cough*magic beginning to exist*cough*.

Video sent. Not exactly sure how Miya wants to review it or if he need my help with that.

>Could you explain what you mean?

Hephaestus maintenance:

1:What exactly does our Stevebot production facility do?  Is it like another fleshpit, for me to beancount SBs?  Or does it just give us a generic "We got stevebots now" perk?

2:Relatedly, we still have whatever facilities were used to make the original stevebots which we had during the Heph defense, right?  How does their production capacity compare to the shiny new one?

3:Nobody ever decided on when the science crew that's working on Anton's energetic slug projector or whatever is gonna be done.  He seemed to want to have a weekly roll to determine progress, but I'm not gonna be the guy to keep track of that.  :P

Answer:

4:We never did go into how Radio's exoskeles would improve stuff.  You'd have to talk with him.  How much are you okay with the new exoskeletons improving over the old ones?

Armor:

5:So, for the medium armor: I want to build it on top of the sharksuit.  Cover the entire sharksuit with a layer of hexsand armoring, like Anton's Mk.III alternative.  Hexsand over sharkplate is resistant to shattering and falling off, so try and maintain that ability.

6:Next, take all the torso and head protection from the Milnoplate design.  Reduce thickness to half that of BS plate, and put it on top of the suit.

7:Dub the completed suit the Badgersuit, until somebody gets annoyed and renames it. ;)

Heavy Robotic Body stuff:

8:This is bugging me: There's two types of HRB that I've designed; one with only three layers of battlesuit plate, and one that has a single BS layer on top of the two single-type resistant armors.  Theoretically, the former is better at withstanding sustained small arms fire, while the latter is better at sustaining heavy anti-battlesuit weapons.  Noting that this suit is meant to support infantry in places that battlesuits can't go, ask ARESTEVE which option he thinks is better long term.

((We've got a free construction crew.  Dunno what to do with it.  tired.  Also, wondering what I should do about the new head system on the wiki page.  Is this something that won't be official till Nik arrives, or is it immediate without any RP or what?

Also, gonna look up what stuff I've designed, for the shipping manifest page.  For now, I can remember: Sharksuit, Assault suit, Badgersuit, Heavy Robotic Body.  I feel like there's something I forgot.))
1. It makes stevebots. It is a factory and surrounding infrastructure for the manufacture of high performance, computer controlled war machines. Technically they're under ARESTEVE's control right now, but the idea is the same.

2. We do not. They were expanded and used to make the current factory. Waste not, etc.

3. There's a post above me about that.

4. Well, standard give you +1... With the new roll system just bumping that to +2 would be fine.

5. Ok. Hexsand is heavy but if you can deal with the weight thats fine.

6. So use BS plate still, but half thickness? Ok.

7. Done and done.

8. For the time being, small arms fire is probably gonna be more likely on the whole, at least when you consider all our allies and the things they're most likely gonna come up against. However, if we get into full  scale war, then the other is gonna prove more useful, since the UWM is all about overcompensating.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 16, 2015, 02:57:21 pm »

So would you guys like to do it the way sean suggested? Ie every time I post we do a roll on all the "NPC" run projects. Good rolls bring things forward, medium ones keep pace, bad ones represent delays or setbacks. Science teams could be used to give bonuses to rolls. It might make things faster, and give you more feedback.
((If you mean you'd be making progress reports every update, I might go subject myself to genetic engineering and grow a few more arms so I can raise a few more hands in support of the idea. :D

That would be very neat. Plus people could actually help ongoing projects meaningfully by giving their own contribution for bonuses to the rolls, instead of just always doing their own tinkering.))

Anton Chernozorov

Actually... I don't think there's any more things Anton could do right now. Short of going off to try and assemble an Artee. :P

He'll just keep at those ships, then.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 16, 2015, 04:56:48 pm »

Video sent. Not exactly sure how Miya wants to review it or if he need my help with that.

It's mostly a formality, to ensure Emp didn't roll bad and create a video of lolcats instead of an actual propaganda video.

1) So yeah, review the vid if possible.

Heph itself is fairly isolated, but the jump point has access to over a dozen other systems depending on how you enter it. How long, time wise, is considered reasonable?

2) Reasonable in the sense that we could reach it within a time that'd allow us to benefit from it before the war is over, and in the sense that the UWM could use it as a staging area for an attack on Hep.

3) Put a construction crew on creating some production lines for building our new sets of body armor. Light kind (sharksuit) for now. Other Hepheads can overrule this if they want to.

4) I'd like to create some simple genemods. Would that be allowed if I promise they'll be focused on gameplay stuff, and not entire assays on the needed pathways? For example, a genemod to increase dex for black ops peeps.

((I'd vote no, reasons in OOC thread.))
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:12:19 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 16, 2015, 05:10:45 pm »

"Anything of note I should be concerned with regarding any of the missions or technological developments that may be interest?"
Inquire.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 17, 2015, 04:03:09 pm »

Quote from: To all Hephaestus Personnel
I would like to meet with all of you. There's some significant organizational changes I'd like to make.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #996 on: February 18, 2015, 11:25:06 am »

Quote from: To all Hephaestus Personnel
I would like to meet with all of you. There's some significant organizational changes I'd like to make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdCI15QojoA

It's mostly a formality, to ensure Emp didn't roll bad and create a video of lolcats instead of an actual propaganda video.

1) So yeah, review the vid if possible.

2) Reasonable in the sense that we could reach it within a time that'd allow us to benefit from it before the war is over, and in the sense that the UWM could use it as a staging area for an attack on Hep.

3) Put a construction crew on creating some production lines for building our new sets of body armor. Light kind (sharksuit) for now. Other Hepheads can overrule this if they want to.

4) I'd like to create some simple genemods. Would that be allowed if I promise they'll be focused on gameplay stuff, and not entire assays on the needed pathways? For example, a genemod to increase dex for black ops peeps.

((I'd vote no, reasons in OOC thread.))
The video, If I remember the rolls, was fine.

In that case...Well there are dozens that are inhabited but in terms of using them as a staging base, three or four.

So, just light body armor? No specifics?

Sure. I don't mind you going all "Proper science" on me as well, I just want the simple crap first, then the technobabble, so I can get the idea and then see how it's backed up.

"Anything of note I should be concerned with regarding any of the missions or technological developments that may be interest?"
Inquire.
Not sure who you're inquiring to. If it's Miya then you don't need the action.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 18, 2015, 05:09:35 pm »

there are dozens that are inhabited but in terms of using them as a staging base, three or four

And could you perhaps tell me a bit more about these four systems?

Light sharkmist body armor, and medium type armor, the kind syv is still designing. We'll need to equip all our sods after all, and export it as well. That ok?

Sure. I don't mind you going all "Proper science" on me as well, I just want the simple crap first, then the technobabble, so I can get the idea and then see how it's backed up.

Well, it'll depend on how the new rolling system of course, but for the moment I'm thinking genemods to give simple +1 to a roll. Let's start with genemods for the basic physical stats (str, dex, end). We'd have to agree on the drawbacks for starters, eg does the bonus stack with other equipment bonusses, and when does it not? I'd say no when in a
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:07:32 pm by Radio Controlled »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 18, 2015, 05:49:23 pm »

((ARESTEVE.))
Charles walks over to the designated meeting location.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 19, 2015, 01:16:25 pm »

Anton Chernozorov

Proceed to Simus's meeting.

Divert all auxiliary willpower to making the prototype of the MkIII-A scout suit a reality.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 02:22:27 am by Sean Mirrsen »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 19, 2015, 11:58:59 pm »

Exoskeletons:

1.Okay, this part's major: You said that the improved exo/endo skeletons will effectively double how powerful our stuff is.  Are you sure that's what you want?

2.If you are sure, how will the various sub-exo stuff work?  Does the new roll system just render them invalid, or can we cut all exoskeleton costs in half?

3.Assuming that they're all just invalid, I'd like to go back on the design that I made for medium armor.  Originally, full milnoplate would just negate the str bonus that exoskeletons gave, but if we're doubling the power of our exoskeletons anyway... Well, I'd like to just straight steal the design.  The penalty doesn't seem so bad now.

Heavy Robotic Body:

4.Okay, since ARESTEVE sees value in both designs, new plan: The standard HRB will have three layers of battlesuit plate, but a variant called "Military Engagement" will be available which uses the special armor layers instead.

UWM military armor:

5.This may or may not be asking too much, but I'd like to ask about what armor types the UWM uses as standard.  I'd really really like to have something like the three most common infantry armor types they use.  Please?  Like, we now have the sharksuit and milnoplate, so what does the UWM use that are equivalent?  What can we expect their soldiers to use in upcoming missions?  Mostly, this is for future weapons testing; I'd rather design stuff that's good enough to penetrate standard armor, but not inefficiently OP.

Unrelated:

6:Possess an auxiliary body and go to Simus' meeting.

((Projects I really want to do at this moment: "silent" 9x39 gauss P90 designed to be super cheap.  "Medium" PSL, smaller than the current one, basically eqivalent in role to an M2.  Also, design new synthflesh aux bodies for myself...  And work on that christmas present.  *sigh*))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 20, 2015, 06:08:04 am »

Also, it's week 3 of the science team working on the variable HEP/ "Zarya" Piercing Energy Weapon. Progress report?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1002 on: February 20, 2015, 05:53:33 pm »

there are dozens that are inhabited but in terms of using them as a staging base, three or four

And could you perhaps tell me a bit more about these four systems?

Light sharkmist body armor, and medium type armor, the kind syv is still designing. We'll need to equip all our sods after all, and export it as well. That ok?

Well, it'll depend on how the new rolling system of course, but for the moment I'm thinking genemods to give simple +1 to a roll. Let's start with genemods for the basic physical stats (str, dex, end). We'd have to agree on the drawbacks for starters, eg does the bonus stack with other equipment bonusses, and when does it not? I'd say no when in a
Lets see.

Two are simply large colonized worlds. They're not particularly special in terms of anything they make or their military, but they have established infrastructures and the capacity to be fortified and to work as staging points. The Third is a world near the jump point. It's tactically useful because you could use it to control the point, but there's nothing of any real interest in the immediate area, so no one has done that. The last is questionable. It's just a large asteroid field with a lot of abandoned infrastructure they could use. Not a whole lot out here to be honest. Heph is in the boondocks. Part of the reason we grabbed it.

Sure. Though it might just end up being what Syv made.

We might want to wait for the new roll system to come into play then. Since +1's will mean different things...sort of.

((ARESTEVE.))
Charles walks over to the designated meeting location.

Not really, that I know of.

Going there
Anton Chernozorov

Proceed to Simus's meeting.

Divert all auxiliary willpower to making the prototype of the MkIII-A scout suit a reality.

Going there.

Also, it's week 3 of the science team working on the variable HEP/ "Zarya" Piercing Energy Weapon. Progress report?
Well...we got a few versions. One of them uses heavy cooling systems. The other uses Plates which slot in and out, so you can slot in cool plates. That one needs you to eject and put in the plates. That limitation in size isn't helping them.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: February 20, 2015, 05:58:55 pm »

((I... I was skipped? ;-; ))

Exoskeletons:

1.Okay, this part's major: You said that the improved exo/endo skeletons will effectively double how powerful our stuff is.  Are you sure that's what you want?

2.If you are sure, how will the various sub-exo stuff work?  Does the new roll system just render them invalid, or can we cut all exoskeleton costs in half?

3.Assuming that they're all just invalid, I'd like to go back on the design that I made for medium armor.  Originally, full milnoplate would just negate the str bonus that exoskeletons gave, but if we're doubling the power of our exoskeletons anyway... Well, I'd like to just straight steal the design.  The penalty doesn't seem so bad now.

Heavy Robotic Body:

4.Okay, since ARESTEVE sees value in both designs, new plan: The standard HRB will have three layers of battlesuit plate, but a variant called "Military Engagement" will be available which uses the special armor layers instead.

UWM military armor:

5.This may or may not be asking too much, but I'd like to ask about what armor types the UWM uses as standard.  I'd really really like to have something like the three most common infantry armor types they use.  Please?  Like, we now have the sharksuit and milnoplate, so what does the UWM use that are equivalent?  What can we expect their soldiers to use in upcoming missions?  Mostly, this is for future weapons testing; I'd rather design stuff that's good enough to penetrate standard armor, but not inefficiently OP.

Unrelated:

6:Possess an auxiliary body and go to Simus' meeting.

((Projects I really want to do at this moment: "silent" 9x39 gauss P90 designed to be super cheap.  "Medium" PSL, smaller than the current one, basically eqivalent in role to an M2.  Also, design new synthflesh aux bodies for myself...  And work on that christmas present.  *sigh*))

7.Also, include the two useful improvments that the new battlesuit uses into the heavy robotic body.  Namely, foot wheels, and plastic eyelids.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 20, 2015, 06:15:35 pm »

Sure. Though it might just end up being what Syv made.

What do you mean? Of course we're producing those armors syv designed with Miya's materials, what else? That's why I specified sharksuits and such. So, completion date with 1 crew?

About those 4 worlds: if we established a presence there, could we assume us to be reasonably covered from surprise attacks? I mean, they could always try to use one of the other jump points if they really wanted, but these four are by far more likely to be used, correct?

Secondly, could you explain in some detail how the carbon regeneration of the sharkmist armor works? Where does it get the energy for the conversion, what sources of carbon can and cannot be used, what happens to unusable molecules, when does it stop converting, can it be turned on and off, etc.

Oh, and when you mentioned making full robots of the stuff alone, were you kidding, or is that a thing we could really do?

We might want to wait for the new roll system to come into play then. Since +1's will mean different things...sort of.
very well, waiting mode engaged.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 05:46:34 am by Radio Controlled »

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 84