Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177251 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1110 on: May 13, 2015, 10:13:59 pm »

((Damn, I meant to type Manipulator Brain Units >__<))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 15, 2015, 10:59:59 am »

Yes, there are several suitable subjects on the list of coma patients I recovered from Q'Baja. And that's for a start, before your new laboratories are finished. I trust there is no problem with using comatose hosts?

Conversation with the Doctor and Anton!

[ADMIN OF SCIENCE][DEPUTY ADMIN OF ENGINEERING]
  • I looked through the mission and could not find people turning off cameras (only comms), much less Simus specifically, so the antenna creation process should be fully filmed - and from several different angles, since Simus was in a robobody by that mission. Let's say the science team have started working on it already?
  • Can I please have a report on the science teams progress? I'm talking about the one studying fleshhorror remains and the one studying soundworm data. It's almost month since those were assigned (four weeks, to be precise).
  • Can the sharkmist structure be replicated with synth-flesh instead of "regular" organics?
  • I recall that non-standard-effect amps/manipulators can be requested. Can there be made a very cheap (MFM or close) and highly specialized amp/manip of a power similar to organo-(possibly -dominator)line, but limited to influencing fleshknitter/human stem cells only? Yes, I am looking for a way for fleshknitter to be intelligently guided, most importantly allowing it to regenerate complex organs correctly.
  • The teleporter rifle Nyartifact sent to us by Pancaek, not ARESTEVE's item. To recap: test whether it can be fired with a robosod and/or a simple "trigger-pulling" mechanism.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45:31 am »

Hephaestus management stuff:

1.Assign two construction crews to building an "apocalypse lab" on Planet #11.  The idea is that we can do our dangerous potentially planet destroying experiments here, in relative safety.  The lab should have the infrastructure to do most any experimentation we're likely to want.  Also, it should be almost entirely subterranean, so that it is very difficult to detect for anyone looking.  Taking in mind that it's about 50 AU away, and two construction crews make things take half the amount of time they normally would, when will this be finished?

The second third of the gratesplosion artifacts have been researched.  I would like to know what we have learned about:

2.The piece of staircase railing with a thin coating of moving black stuff. (warning, may cause tissue damage and massive shadowy tornadoes)

3.The metal cylinder, which resonates dangerously well.

4.The neon green humming spikes. They explode when struck

5.My bunker finished.  I want my body moved there, and then transplanted into one of the superheavy robot bodies.

Experiments with forcefields:

6.I want to create a 'bowl' made of lead that projects a forcefield inside of it, consistently an inch away from the surface.  Activate the field, then place inside the bowl a unactivated small steel sphere which will project an omnidirectional forcefield consistently a quarter inch away from its surface, when activated.  After placing the sphere inside, activate its forcefield, which should intersect with the bowl's field.  If nothing visibly happens, tip the bowl over so that the sphere would roll out, then try to pick it up.

Hypothesis: Fields from different materials are solid to each other, and all forefields will cut segments out of normal materials when activated inside them.  This will probably destroy the lead forcefield, creating an explosion.  Since forcefields aren't an actual material though, I could also see it just anchoring the two objects together.

7.How close can a projected forcefield come to the projecting material?  Can it be flush with the surface?

8.How far can a projected forcefield be from the projecting material, presumably relative to size/mass of the projector?

9.Can a projected forcefield curve back on itself?  See the below diagram
Code: [Select]
----\     /-------------
     |   |
 /--/    |   <forcefield
 |       |
 \------/
      Projecting material 
                 v
#########################

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1113 on: May 18, 2015, 12:40:02 pm »

((Damn, I meant to type Manipulator Brain Units >__<))
Still no.

Yes, there are several suitable subjects on the list of coma patients I recovered from Q'Baja. And that's for a start, before your new laboratories are finished. I trust there is no problem with using comatose hosts?

Conversation with the Doctor and Anton!

• I looked through the mission and could not find people turning off cameras (only comms), much less Simus specifically, so the antenna creation process should be fully filmed - and from several different angles, since Simus was in a robobody by that mission. Let's say the science team have started working on it already?
  • Can I please have a report on the science teams progress? I'm talking about the one studying fleshhorror remains and the one studying soundworm data. It's almost month since those were assigned (four weeks, to be precise).
  • Can the sharkmist structure be replicated with synth-flesh instead of "regular" organics?
  • I recall that non-standard-effect amps/manipulators can be requested. Can there be made a very cheap (MFM or close) and highly specialized amp/manip of a power similar to organo-(possibly -dominator)line, but limited to influencing fleshknitter/human stem cells only? Yes, I am looking for a way for fleshknitter to be intelligently guided, most importantly allowing it to regenerate complex organs correctly.
  • The teleporter rifle Nyartifact sent to us by Pancaek, not ARESTEVE's item. To recap: test whether it can be fired with a robosod and/or a simple "trigger-pulling" mechanism.

Well...you can try but that thing was the result of the reality warping of a good roll, so it might not be replicable.

Flesh horror is producing nothing terribly interesting, sadly.  They've manged to set up a device which should, in theory, open the same kind of tear in reality that the soundworm team did. They haven't turned it on yet though.

No.

That...You could do it with controlled effort on the part of an amp user, MAYBE a manip user if they're really good, but a specialized system just for that? No.

Oh, that one. Should give it a different name. That one can be used by robosods and mechanisms.

Hephaestus management stuff:

1.Assign two construction crews to building an "apocalypse lab" on Planet #11.  The idea is that we can do our dangerous potentially planet destroying experiments here, in relative safety.  The lab should have the infrastructure to do most any experimentation we're likely to want.  Also, it should be almost entirely subterranean, so that it is very difficult to detect for anyone looking.  Taking in mind that it's about 50 AU away, and two construction crews make things take half the amount of time they normally would, when will this be finished?

The second third of the gratesplosion artifacts have been researched.  I would like to know what we have learned about:

2.The piece of staircase railing with a thin coating of moving black stuff. (warning, may cause tissue damage and massive shadowy tornadoes)

3.The metal cylinder, which resonates dangerously well.

4.The neon green humming spikes. They explode when struck

5.My bunker finished.  I want my body moved there, and then transplanted into one of the superheavy robot bodies.

Experiments with forcefields:

6.I want to create a 'bowl' made of lead that projects a forcefield inside of it, consistently an inch away from the surface.  Activate the field, then place inside the bowl a unactivated small steel sphere which will project an omnidirectional forcefield consistently a quarter inch away from its surface, when activated.  After placing the sphere inside, activate its forcefield, which should intersect with the bowl's field.  If nothing visibly happens, tip the bowl over so that the sphere would roll out, then try to pick it up.

Hypothesis: Fields from different materials are solid to each other, and all forefields will cut segments out of normal materials when activated inside them.  This will probably destroy the lead forcefield, creating an explosion.  Since forcefields aren't an actual material though, I could also see it just anchoring the two objects together.

7.How close can a projected forcefield come to the projecting material?  Can it be flush with the surface?

8.How far can a projected forcefield be from the projecting material, presumably relative to size/mass of the projector?

9.Can a projected forcefield curve back on itself?  See the below diagram
Code: [Select]
----\     /-------------
     |   |
 /--/    |   <forcefield
 |       |
 \------/
      Projecting material 
                 v
#########################
1.Lets say end of these missions. Or actually, beginning of next ones. We'll use the jump for time.

2. The samples appear to have degraded or died over time. They're mostly inert now, with little noticeable reaction to a variety of stimuli. Dang.

3. That one was apparently an unknown crystalline aluminum alloy. It's not very robust, but it's like a tuning fork; it can vibrate to different resonate frequencies and maintain that vibration for a long period. Not sure of the uses yet, but it can be replicated.

4.  These appear to be radioactive and unstable. We've isolated the materials and can replicate it, but it's not very useful looking. The spikes aren't sharper then standard metal and the explosions they release aren't more powerful then conventional explosives.

5. alright

6. When the second field is activated it results in the metal sphere being violently jettisoned from the bowl.

7. Flush? no. But very nearly. Milimeter or so clearance.

8. It seems that, via experimentation with spheres, that the shield can be projected, at max, 5 times the radius of the object away from the anchor.

9. Not that you've found. You can manipulate the shape to a degree, but not that much.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 19, 2015, 10:01:25 pm »

Armor things:

1.Okay, forcefields projected from the same type of material are non-solid to each other.  I want to take two forcefield projection plates, which are designed such that their forcefields would be projected in the exact same spot, if they are set on top of each other.

2.Does the above idea work?  Can two forcefields occupy the same space, at the same time?

3.If so, is the strength of the forcefield increased at all, due to damage being split between the two fields? 

4.My next idea is more complicated.  Take two plates of forcefield projection material, one set to project at a half inch, and the other at one inch.  Then, set the half-inch one on top of the inch one, separated by springs, in such a way that the half-inch field is just slightly above the one inch field (both projectors are below both fields).  I want the springs specifically designed such that they require (60% of the energy that would break one field) before they give enough to allow the top field to retreat behind the bottom field, assuming zero friction between the two fields.

5.Shoot the top field with a shot that has 90% the energy required to break it.  What happens?  Does the top field retreat behind the bottom one?

6.Shoot the top field with a shot that has 120% the energy required to break it.  What happens?

7.That super weak material from before, which could resist a 500% strength gauss cannon, but exploded with nuclear-level power?  I'm going to call it fragplate, just so I have something to call it.

8.How much does a layer of forcefield-projecting fragplate cost, compared to a similar size layer of battlesuit plate?

9.Does the cost for forcefields change depending on the material, beyond the actual cost of the material itself?

((Fellow tinkerers: Is this post understandable?  Prior experiments have been confusingly written, to the point that PW couldn't respond, and I'd like to avoid that.))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 20, 2015, 04:24:35 am »

I trust there is no problem with using comatose hosts?
Also, how many subjects do you need - in the medium run? A score? Several hundreds? Thousands to millions?
Wait for answers to questions.

• Assign Science Teams Gamma and Delta (Q'Bajan) to studying Liquid Crystal and Gel Sack samples from Anomalous Planetoid, respectively. Additionally, can any useful research at all be done on Orange Goo (samples for which might or might not be absent) and any of the video-recorded events and places?
  • How many orders of magnitude apart are the Abyss sand and the sharkmist? Essentially, can the former be infused with the later? Would that alter the basic properties of the resulting meta-material?
  • Take a look at the starmap as recorded from M2 (cult bioship). Are there any additional locations mapped, unknown to us today? Furthermore, do the coordinates from M5 (serial killer) match with the map, can the source of "the coming darkness" be identified?
  • Let's rephrase that and break into steps. Can specific-effect manipulators be ordered (previously indicated possible, but that was years ago)? Can that specific effect be organo-line-similar? Is it possible to selectively target (by design) the stem cells/fleshknitter, or is impossible for a variety of reasons (e.g. too general by their very nature, cannot be selectively affected without affecting all types of human cells too)?
  • Pancaek's Tele-rifle experiments Cont.: Now, using the firing machine from before test the effective range of Tele-rifle (target distance: several hundred meters, several kilometers, several hundred kilometers (shot from atmosphere)) and test the teleported object radius (surround the firing mechanism by solid matter except for the firing path, repeat the experiment three times). In all cases the artifact rifle is to be sufficiently padded and generally protected from any possible collision damage.

Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Hephaestus Administration, General Miyamoto
It has come into my view that there are certain prospects worth investigation in the vicinity of Hephaestus system, most notable being the "Disappearing college" event. I have contacted Anton Chernozorov and he confirmed my judgement independently. I believe that investigation of this and similar events in future may prove highly fruitful, but it might not warrant full Paracelsus Sword detour. As such, I propose the creation of a small research ship, similar in nature and functions to the Sword sans the convict housing, military engagement capability (though at least a single cannon and a laser array should be included for emergency situations, see: 4473 Styx incident) and possibly length of autonomous run. This ship would be under direct purview of Hephaestus Administration (primarily Science branch, but possibly others depending on exact mission nature) and used for missions issued by them. Installation of advanced stealth-systems would be also desirable for covert operations in nearby UWM-controlled space.

((@syvarris Yeah, it was quite understandable. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 20, 2015, 05:02:30 am »

Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Hephaestus Administration, General Miyamoto
It has come into my view that there are certain prospects worth investigation in the vicinity of Hephaestus system, most notable being the "Disappearing college" event. I have contacted Anton Chernozorov and he confirmed my judgement independently. I believe that investigation of this and similar events in future may prove highly fruitful, but it might not warrant full Paracelsus Sword detour. As such, I propose the creation of a small research ship, similar in nature and functions to the Sword sans the convict housing, military engagement capability (though at least a single cannon and a laser array should be included for emergency situations, see: 4473 Styx incident) and possibly length of autonomous run. This ship would be under direct purview of Hephaestus Administration (primarily Science branch, but possibly others depending on exact mission nature) and used for missions issued by them. Installation of advanced stealth-systems would be also desirable for covert operations in nearby UWM-controlled space.

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Maurice Sanctor; CC Heph Administration, General Miyamoto
I do believe I have a ship that could fit the role, fresh off the shipyard, as it were. The Gram's Scabbard, first of its class. They were going to be used as heavy-duty all-purpose transports, with highly modular and customizable internal spaces. Refitting it into a stealthed mobile operations base should be no problem. I'm attaching a general overview plan of the ship. Can begin work on the refit as soon as the order is given.

Attached are several snapshots of the design. It is a slim, elongated shape, a flattened hexagon in cross-section, narrowing gradually toward the front where it sharply ends in a blunt point. It does look remarkably like a sheath of some kind of gigantic blade, although the ship's provided dimensions indicate that it is roughly half the size of the Paracelsus' Sword. A cluster of engines and powerplants occupies the wider back portion, with a command and crew deck wedged inbetween it and the hind end of the massive layered cargobay that spans the entire rest of the ship's length. The design appears to have no weapons, but it's clear from the arrangement of heavy-duty power conduits on the plan that installing them is part of the modular aspect of the design, with several notes on the plan detailing how it could be turned into a spacecraft carrier or an effective Q-Ship with ease.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 20, 2015, 05:21:54 pm »

Quote from:  Saint, Head of Production to: Hephaestus administration
Maurice, you have my full support in this idea.

Anton, I looked over your design, and... I find some elements questionable.  It is certainly well engineered, but I'm curious why you chose a mostly flat design for a spaceship?  I was under the impression that, generally, spherical designs are superior, due to more efficient armor distribution. 
More importantly, I want to know why you chose to add crew quarters for the ship.  Surely you don't plan to staff it with actual humans?  With quantum entanglement communicators, we are more than capable of piloting the ship from Hephaestus without any issue.  Designing a ship to utilize human crew causes nothing but problems, and is only advantageous to human-sized enemies.

I also wonder if the sheer size of the ship is required.  I think we could vastly reduce the bulk, and keep most of the functionality.

((Note:I took your mention of 'command and crew deck' to mean that it has a human-centric design.  Also, you said it was half the size of the P.Sword, which is a massive warship/carrier/cityship from what I understand.  I don't think we'd need much more than a basic mobile lab, space for a hundred or so unactivated robosods, and maybe a hanger with a couple of shuttles.  Probably a large laser cannon, as maurice described.  We don't need to do serious materials testing on the ship, because we can just ship back any interesting samples.  With the backlog of artifacts we have, the delay shouldn't be any issue.

If I misinterpreted something, please say so.  I'd rather not have Saint think support infrastructure for ten braincases meant the ship was human-centric.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 21, 2015, 01:55:34 am »

Quote from:  Saint, Head of Production to: Hephaestus administration
Maurice, you have my full support in this idea.

Anton, I looked over your design, and... I find some elements questionable.  It is certainly well engineered, but I'm curious why you chose a mostly flat design for a spaceship?  I was under the impression that, generally, spherical designs are superior, due to more efficient armor distribution. 
More importantly, I want to know why you chose to add crew quarters for the ship.  Surely you don't plan to staff it with actual humans?  With quantum entanglement communicators, we are more than capable of piloting the ship from Hephaestus without any issue.  Designing a ship to utilize human crew causes nothing but problems, and is only advantageous to human-sized enemies.

I also wonder if the sheer size of the ship is required.  I think we could vastly reduce the bulk, and keep most of the functionality.

((Note:I took your mention of 'command and crew deck' to mean that it has a human-centric design.  Also, you said it was half the size of the P.Sword, which is a massive warship/carrier/cityship from what I understand.  I don't think we'd need much more than a basic mobile lab, space for a hundred or so unactivated robosods, and maybe a hanger with a couple of shuttles.  Probably a large laser cannon, as maurice described.  We don't need to do serious materials testing on the ship, because we can just ship back any interesting samples.  With the backlog of artifacts we have, the delay shouldn't be any issue.

If I misinterpreted something, please say so.  I'd rather not have Saint think support infrastructure for ten braincases meant the ship was human-centric.))
((No, you're right, it's meant for a human - or humanoid - crew. Much like the other ships, it's old-fashioned in that regard, mostly because the matter of fully robotized ships hadn't been brought up in-character before (to my knowledge), and Anton himself is old-fashioned.

And I agree on those points, but more on that in-character.))

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Steve Saint; CC Heph Admins
Now, do recall that this isn't a ship I specifically designed for this purpose. It's just a closed-hull cargo carrier with modular elements that I think could lend itself well to the task of being a mobile base.

A flatter design lends itself better to maneuvering and landing, creates more "floor space", and tends to look more aesthetically pleasing. I'm aware of more equally proportioned designs being better at armor distribution. But couple this being primarily a freighter, with how generally useless armor tends to be overall against shipborne weapons and reality warping, and the aesthetics angle wins just a few more points with me. As for humans... call me old-fashioned, but I like the notion of manned ships. A ship with its own crew is self-sufficient, it doesn't rely on the command center. Even being human-accessible it will be able to deal with intruders better than a remotely-controlled ship, that only needs its communications array overtaken or destroyed to fully fall into the enemy hands. A ship with a human crew still has that, but also has specialists on board that can deal with the issue, and make decisions on their own. It's an extra layer of redundance, that appeals to me as an engineer. I'd have added an integrated organic AI on top of that, that commands the ship and controls an onboard complement of robots like you do with your bodies, but I don't think we have the requisite training programs for the bioforge yet, to make such brains. The more effort it takes to remove a ship from its owner's control, the better - I hope you agree with me on that.

But you're right about the size. The Scabbard may be too large for this specific purpose, especially if you don't plan to have it perform missions of any appreciable duration. I could design something more fitting.

Or we could overhaul one of the armed freighters. They're smaller, already FTL-equipped, stripped of most of their smaller weapons, and have a spacious cargo hold to fit all the necessary equipment and personnel into. Plus they have that classing UWM 'flying brick' design that appeals to you. ;)

((yes he did include a smiley face.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1119 on: May 26, 2015, 10:35:15 am »

Armor things:

1.Okay, forcefields projected from the same type of material are non-solid to each other.  I want to take two forcefield projection plates, which are designed such that their forcefields would be projected in the exact same spot, if they are set on top of each other.

2.Does the above idea work?  Can two forcefields occupy the same space, at the same time?

3.If so, is the strength of the forcefield increased at all, due to damage being split between the two fields? 

4.My next idea is more complicated.  Take two plates of forcefield projection material, one set to project at a half inch, and the other at one inch.  Then, set the half-inch one on top of the inch one, separated by springs, in such a way that the half-inch field is just slightly above the one inch field (both projectors are below both fields).  I want the springs specifically designed such that they require (60% of the energy that would break one field) before they give enough to allow the top field to retreat behind the bottom field, assuming zero friction between the two fields.

5.Shoot the top field with a shot that has 90% the energy required to break it.  What happens?  Does the top field retreat behind the bottom one?

6.Shoot the top field with a shot that has 120% the energy required to break it.  What happens?

7.That super weak material from before, which could resist a 500% strength gauss cannon, but exploded with nuclear-level power?  I'm going to call it fragplate, just so I have something to call it.

8.How much does a layer of forcefield-projecting fragplate cost, compared to a similar size layer of battlesuit plate?

9.Does the cost for forcefields change depending on the material, beyond the actual cost of the material itself?

((Fellow tinkerers: Is this post understandable?  Prior experiments have been confusingly written, to the point that PW couldn't respond, and I'd like to avoid that.))
Oh geez.
1.Ah, that. Getting them in the exact same spot is difficult; they're invisible, extremely thin, and the distance is hard to calculate precisely. You can attempt this, but it's hard to tell if it was successful.
2. It appears they can, but it's hard to say for sure.
3. Same problem. You pound away on it and eventually one of them breaks, but it seems to be random which one breaks. Or maybe it's due to them not completely overlapping? Hard to say.
4-6. That won't work because remember, they stop kinetic energy too.
7.Ok.
8-9.That depends on the size of the plate. Different materials and different shapes of the field don't change the price, but the larger the effected surface, the more it costs.

I trust there is no problem with using comatose hosts?
Also, how many subjects do you need - in the medium run? A score? Several hundreds? Thousands to millions?
Wait for answers to questions.

• Assign Science Teams Gamma and Delta (Q'Bajan) to studying Liquid Crystal and Gel Sack samples from Anomalous Planetoid, respectively. Additionally, can any useful research at all be done on Orange Goo (samples for which might or might not be absent) and any of the video-recorded events and places?
  • How many orders of magnitude apart are the Abyss sand and the sharkmist? Essentially, can the former be infused with the later? Would that alter the basic properties of the resulting meta-material?
  • Take a look at the starmap as recorded from M2 (cult bioship). Are there any additional locations mapped, unknown to us today? Furthermore, do the coordinates from M5 (serial killer) match with the map, can the source of "the coming darkness" be identified?
  • Let's rephrase that and break into steps. Can specific-effect manipulators be ordered (previously indicated possible, but that was years ago)? Can that specific effect be organo-line-similar? Is it possible to selectively target (by design) the stem cells/fleshknitter, or is impossible for a variety of reasons (e.g. too general by their very nature, cannot be selectively affected without affecting all types of human cells too)?
  • Pancaek's Tele-rifle experiments Cont.: Now, using the firing machine from before test the effective range of Tele-rifle (target distance: several hundred meters, several kilometers, several hundred kilometers (shot from atmosphere)) and test the teleported object radius (surround the firing mechanism by solid matter except for the firing path, repeat the experiment three times). In all cases the artifact rifle is to be sufficiently padded and generally protected from any possible collision damage.

((@syvarris Yeah, it was quite understandable. ))

1. I forget those....Remind me the circumstances of their gathering?
2. Uh...they aren't really compatible.
3. The majority of them appear to be mapped- ie they've been viewed and cataloged- but there's no real data on them. The ones that we do have data on are very out dated and pre altered war. No correlation with anything the serial killer said, then again, you can't make heads or tails of his directions.
4.Yes, but we'll need the space magic factory for that. And we don't have it yet so anything more along this line will have to wait.
5. Did you ever find a way to change the distance on that thing? Since, if I remember right, it teleports to what it is pointed at. And pointing at a target hundreds of kilometers away is a bit hard to do precisely. At least not without setting up some sort of system to aid said aiming.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 28, 2015, 11:24:54 pm »

More Forcefields (Overlapping fields idea(s)):

1.You said that we couldn't figure out if forcefields sharing a space combine durability, because we can't be sure if they're even occupying the same space.  Let's do it this way: Make a normal platform which is as flat as we can build (considering our tech, this should be pretty darn flat).  There should be an open hole in the center of the platform.  Next, make two forcefield projectors which project a flat field at different distances.  Set them on top of the platform so that both fields are directly on it, and forced into each other by gravity.  Then, rig a small construction above the whole thing which keeps the projectors from being moved upwards.  Build a number of these contraptions, so that we can test multiple times.

2.Take a weapon below the platform, then shoot up at the forcefields with increasing power until they break.  Do this for every one of the contraptions.  Are the results consistent between different tests?

3.If so, at what point do the fields break?  100% resistance, meaning one took all the damage?  Or better, meaning they shared to some extent?

4.The second test I tried, where one forcefield would be forced behind the other by kinetic energy, failed because "they stop kinetic energy too.".  I am keenly interested in what this means--Is an omnidirectional (sphere) forcefield resistant to being pushed around because the projector itself can't be touched, only being affected by effects like gravity and magnetism?

5.As a variation on the above question, let's say I have a long plank which projects a flat forcefield upwards.  I balance it on the edge of something so that it would require, oh, two pounds of weight on the end to unbalance it and make it fall over.  What happens if I set a twenty pound weight on it instead, but on top of the forcefield?

6....If the above experiment results in the plank falling over when the weight is rested on the forcefield, I don't understand why kinetic force striking a field won't move it.  Explanation?  Can you bounce a bouncy ball off a forcefield?  Would that force move the projecting material?

Cost & properties:

7.I've been under the impression that forcefields have a minimum amount of force required to break them.  So, you could shoot a given forcefield a thousand times with a gauss rifle and it'll never break, but shoot an equally strong one with an overcharged shot and it might break in one shot.  Is this how it works, or does a forcefield just absorb x amount of energy?

8.If it does have a minimum force, then does surface area matter?  I.E, does hitting it with equal force, but ten times the area, have a different effect?

9.Last time you said that price for forcefields goes up on a different curve from battlesuit plate.  If we were going to trade some of the armor on a battlesuit, for an equal-cost covering of a single forcefield, how many layers of standard armor would we lose?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 31, 2015, 02:29:35 pm »

Leaving the Doctor's study, Maurice briskly and enthusiastically strided through the corridors to his new quarters. There was an expression of seriousness, of determination on his face, and while he did not smile, he wasn't quite gloomy either.

When several days later he emerged from his study, Dr. Sanctor looked like a different person.

His stare was blank and unfocused, his eyes were hollow and haunted. There was new silver in his hair, one that hadn't been there when he arrived on Hephaestus. He walked slowly and uncertainly, and seemed largely oblivious (or perhaps indifferent?) to the world around him. A bottle of HMRC Standard was gripped tightly in his hand, yet he gave it no attention.

Seemingly aimlessly he wandered through the base. Just once, passing by the armory door, he stopped in hesitation and looked at it intently - but then he sharply turned away and headed for the park.
No. There is work to be done, and no else can do it. ...Starting tomorrow, but certainly not today.
Today I drink to the memory of my sanity.

Lie in the grass, look at the stars in the sky and get drunk with extreme prejudice.

• Nope.
  • Absolutely cannot work today. At all.
Past Sigs

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1122 on: June 07, 2015, 11:05:58 am »

More Forcefields (Overlapping fields idea(s)):

1.You said that we couldn't figure out if forcefields sharing a space combine durability, because we can't be sure if they're even occupying the same space.  Let's do it this way: Make a normal platform which is as flat as we can build (considering our tech, this should be pretty darn flat).  There should be an open hole in the center of the platform.  Next, make two forcefield projectors which project a flat field at different distances.  Set them on top of the platform so that both fields are directly on it, and forced into each other by gravity.  Then, rig a small construction above the whole thing which keeps the projectors from being moved upwards.  Build a number of these contraptions, so that we can test multiple times.

2.Take a weapon below the platform, then shoot up at the forcefields with increasing power until they break.  Do this for every one of the contraptions.  Are the results consistent between different tests?

3.If so, at what point do the fields break?  100% resistance, meaning one took all the damage?  Or better, meaning they shared to some extent?

4.The second test I tried, where one forcefield would be forced behind the other by kinetic energy, failed because "they stop kinetic energy too.".  I am keenly interested in what this means--Is an omnidirectional (sphere) forcefield resistant to being pushed around because the projector itself can't be touched, only being affected by effects like gravity and magnetism?

5.As a variation on the above question, let's say I have a long plank which projects a flat forcefield upwards.  I balance it on the edge of something so that it would require, oh, two pounds of weight on the end to unbalance it and make it fall over.  What happens if I set a twenty pound weight on it instead, but on top of the forcefield?

6....If the above experiment results in the plank falling over when the weight is rested on the forcefield, I don't understand why kinetic force striking a field won't move it.  Explanation?  Can you bounce a bouncy ball off a forcefield?  Would that force move the projecting material?

Cost & properties:

7.I've been under the impression that forcefields have a minimum amount of force required to break them.  So, you could shoot a given forcefield a thousand times with a gauss rifle and it'll never break, but shoot an equally strong one with an overcharged shot and it might break in one shot.  Is this how it works, or does a forcefield just absorb x amount of energy?

8.If it does have a minimum force, then does surface area matter?  I.E, does hitting it with equal force, but ten times the area, have a different effect?

9.Last time you said that price for forcefields goes up on a different curve from battlesuit plate.  If we were going to trade some of the armor on a battlesuit, for an equal-cost covering of a single forcefield, how many layers of standard armor would we lose?
1-3. Clever. You use this method to test multiple times and the results are a bit erratic. Now, I'll assume were doing this with a laser or something, something which delivers continuous damage. Sometimes, the fields both hold longer then usual, but how much longer seems random. Sometimes they'll hold for a bit longer and then one will fail. Sometimes they'll hold for a lot longer and then one will fail. Sometimes they even hold beyond the theoretical maximum, but then one will fail. However, there are also times where one fails normally, as though the other isn't there.

4-6. The forcefield seems to prevent high levels of kinetic energy from effecting the anchoring point but doesn't do any of that physics weirdness of being completely unaffected by kinetic energy otherwise you couldn't move them around. So if you shoot a bullet at it, or even just throw that bouncy ball at it really fast (REALLY FAST) the bullet or the ball will just impact the field and have no "pushing" effect on the anchor. However, if you just pick it up, or place something atop it, then it can be moved around and effected. So, oddly, You could fire a gauss cannon shell at the field and the anchor wouldn't budge, but you could send it flying with a good kick.

7.Thats how it works. They have to receive a minimum damage within a minimum time.
8. It appears to be related to the sheer amount of energy being imparted; the location and area don't matter. 100 joules in one point is the same as 10 joules in 10 points.
9. Well, the cost of plates goes up exponentially by their surface area, because the field projected by an object is limited in size by the size of the anchor itself. How much it will cost depends upon how big the plates are and how they're used.

Leaving the Doctor's study, Maurice briskly and enthusiastically strided through the corridors to his new quarters. There was an expression of seriousness, of determination on his face, and while he did not smile, he wasn't quite gloomy either.

When several days later he emerged from his study, Dr. Sanctor looked like a different person.

His stare was blank and unfocused, his eyes were hollow and haunted. There was new silver in his hair, one that hadn't been there when he arrived on Hephaestus. He walked slowly and uncertainly, and seemed largely oblivious (or perhaps indifferent?) to the world around him. A bottle of HMRC Standard was gripped tightly in his hand, yet he gave it no attention.

Seemingly aimlessly he wandered through the base. Just once, passing by the armory door, he stopped in hesitation and looked at it intently - but then he sharply turned away and headed for the park.
No. There is work to be done, and no else can do it. ...Starting tomorrow, but certainly not today.
Today I drink to the memory of my sanity.

Lie in the grass, look at the stars in the sky and get drunk with extreme prejudice.

• Nope.
  • Absolutely cannot work today. At all.
Now you know why we give that stuff away for free. It's just another form of first aid. 

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 10, 2015, 07:30:01 pm »

Breaking news: Hephaestus Artifact experimentation results in a dangerous (thermo)nuclear explosion in space! Nyartifact Teleporter rifle is reported missing. Search teams mobilised.

((...I am so sorry. I just had to check out what happens if something intercepts it mid-flight and then it went boom. At least now we know it could have been dangerous to use.  :-[

Also, with Piecewise's wording it's really uncertain whether we "lost" it as "destroyed" or "threw away somewhere far, far away"; we have a list of places it could theoretically have been sent to, and a small horde of cheap sensor drones can be constructed to do the search - non-FTL-capable ones, unfortunately, but very cheap in return.))

Spoiler: Logs for the curious (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 07:54:28 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 10, 2015, 11:31:17 pm »

Quote from: Steve Saint, AoP, to: Maurice Sanctor, AoS, CC: Hephaestus Administration
Maurice, I've looked over the logs of that incident, and... well, I don't mean to tell you how to do your job, but perhaps we should wait to experiment with our more unique artifacts?  At least try to reproduce them before putting them through extensive testing?  After all, if we can't figure out some way to reproduce the item or its effects, it has little value to us.

On a related topic, I've had plans for awhile to work on designing a device that utilizes the unique sensory abilities of space magic devices (such as those implanted in UWM amp specialists) to atomically scan items without physically deconstructing them.  Such a device would be very useful for, if nothing else, blueprinting artifacts before we experiment on them and risk inventing a new form of explosive.  I was going to suggest that we wait to experiment with unique artifacts until we can build such a device--which would likely necessitate waiting until after the SMF is complete.  However, it occurs to me that, to my knowledge, we do not have any blueprints for the device, and it might not even be possible.  I'd probably get around to designing one eventually, but I figure you might have an interest as well, and might want it sooner rather than later.  I wouldn't be at all insulted if you took the idea and ran.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 84