Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177310 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1140 on: June 25, 2015, 05:01:29 am »

I think these talks are unproductive for their length.
((They do, however, preserve the operational capacity of our GM far better. I understand the need to ask as many questions as possible, but do keep in mind that it won't do to have these questions cause our Piecewiseian supercomputer go cray-cray.

5.Assuming that the answer to five was yes....
((And speaking of breaking computers, I believe you mean four.))

7.Take a fragplate forcefield which is roughly bullet shaped, and fire its projector at a very solid wall.  I want to calculate out the exact amount of force that it should impact with, and alter the speed so that it impacts with 60% of the kinetic energy required to break it.  What happens?  Does the fragile projector break from the rapid velocity change?  Or does it stay intact?
((Is the 60% significant? Can your question be rephrased as "If a fragplate projectile is shot at a target, but the impact is not enough to break the forcefield - is it possible that the force of impact will break the projector itself, and what will happen then?"))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 25, 2015, 07:01:55 am »

Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Steve Saint, Head of Production; Charles Leroux, Public Relations Advisor CC: Hephaestus Administration
Actually, Steve, you are right, it is very reasonable; and yes, I believe I've had the pleasure of addressing you this way ever since we met, but that is not relevant now. I will extend the request of assistance to Charles Leroux, for it's actually a matter of Hephaestian Public Relations, in a way. Knowledge of this project is open to other Hephaestus Administrators, of course; but it might be better not to leak it yet to the outside worlds, not until its success has been reached and proven - but I will leave the decision to proper ARM authorities.

The Project Wunderkinder is an attempt to bring up the next generation of ARM scientists. It is well-known that one cannot simply grow scientifically curious and intelligent minds the way we grow sods; people have to be recruited from somewhere, with extensive prior knowledge and skills. As you know, most of our current Science Teams previously were interns for Dr. Clark and R&D department on the Paracelsus's Sword. The question comes easily to mind: if we are dealing with the same wondrous, weird, mind-boggling phenomena as the original Sword scientist crew, what stops us from raising our own population of interns? At the very least, even if we cannot raise and train more Science Teams this way, that should boost the overall efficiency of scientific advancement on Hephaestus.

These children were conceived with best possible results in mind, but that alone won't do it. Essentially, more or less, they are just very gifted children; they will grow up and mature normally, and will have to be taught normally, at least partially the old-fashioned way in realspace. It will be our task to bring out their very utmost brilliance, intuition and creativity. I will find the best way to teach them; but to create the best environment for that I am asking for your assistance, Steve.

But also we will have to find a way to teach and to explain them the ethics and loyalty to ARM. Where mere propaganda might suffice for average population, clever and cunning minds like these will probably be able to pierce any lies and doctrines very early - and the only way that will remain will be the logical reasoning. You know that we have to win, that we represent the progress and the best humanity has to offer - so let us explain it to them. That is why I am requesting your assistance, Charles.

This is the first generation of such children, and depending on its success there might follow more. There should be twice and a half over of a standard Science Team size children, so give or take. This project has nothing with General Jim, creating yet more soldiers or directly winning the war; but this might just be the backbone that will help us achieve the victory.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 25, 2015, 05:49:46 pm »

@Sean

I told you anything I write after midnight is full of idiocy.  It's remarkable my post was coherent.

Regardless, there is a purpose for the bullet to be fired at 60% the breaking velocity.  I want to know if it will break at forces far lower than it can resist, so that I can use high-explosive rounds. If it doesn't, then I need to use weaker forcefields so that I can actually propel them at high enough speeds to pop.  I did change the number to 20%, though, because that's more helpful.

@Nik

Quote from: Steve Saint, Admin of Production, to: M.Sanctor, Admin of Science CC: Hephaestus administration
Thank you for the details.  I'll start work on this project immediately.

By the way, what genetic base are you using for these children?  The personnel samples we took for the SMF?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 25, 2015, 06:25:21 pm »

Quote from: Dr.M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Steve Saint, Head of Production
Assorted samples. Partially those, but mostly ones from the Doctor's collection. Can't fully speak about it; you understand.
How did it happen that I began to speak this way? Was this my conscious decision, or something less tangible?

...I am not him. But I will be.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 25, 2015, 08:24:21 pm »

Quote from: Steve Saint, Admin of Production to: M.Sanctor, Admin of Science CC:Hephaestus administration
Of course.  I would like to know, but I understand that some knowledge is better left unknown.  I suppose I should thank you for sparing me the mental trauma.

Another question, which just occurred to me, is how long the children's growth will take.  I would imagine you would keep their learning years as long as possible, but will we be accelerating the unimportant ones?  A lot of infanthood is spent on developing less valuable abilities, or abilities which we can have artificially accelerated.  Jim was an exceptionally good example of what can be accelerated.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 25, 2015, 08:43:27 pm »

Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Steve Saint, Head of Production CC:Hephaestus Administration
The most prudent course appeared to be to leave the growth speed intact, so that was it. We can possibly tinker with it later, but there is the problem that the window of "infanthood" is really narrow: where regular children might go to school at six or seven, these will be ready - and thus shall be - taught the very basics at four, maybe three years old. Furthermore, the early years are the most formative in terms of personality and emotional base - soon afterwards, I predict that our ability to sway their hearts irrationally will begin to diminish over time, and they might be increasingly more fixed in the ways of their character and personality.
Past Sigs

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 25, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »

Quote from: Charles Leroux, Public Relations Advisor to: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science CC: Hephaestus Administration
Understood. We must construct a firm adherence to a transcendental purpose from a groundwork of decidedly non-transcendental influences. They shall need some purpose to strive towards, and though we have plenty of purposes in between the UWM's stagnant state and the growing instability of the universe, there is the need to ensure that the pressure does not break them, nor that exposure of external ideas may cause sufficient doubt. I say sufficient doubt because it is likely better to allow some questioning and such so that they do not think that they have been indoctrinated or such, let them alter their perspectives a bit, not too much, but enough so that it becomes their own.

Still, with the goal only to expand our pool of researchers, I believe it is quite feasible. As high as we aim, it is best to keep in mind how grounded the end goal is. We can always repeat it and use what we learn from the first group after all.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 25, 2015, 10:46:22 pm »

Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science to: Charles Leroux, Public Relations Advisor CC:Hephaestus Administration
That assessment is absolutely correct. I am happy to work alongside such a professional as you, Charles.

And yes, this is the first group, so there is indeed room for improvement in the future.
Past Sigs

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 26, 2015, 12:17:44 am »

Spoiler: IRC DATA (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: July 01, 2015, 05:48:20 pm »

Quote from: Hasala Nabin To: General Miyamoto CC: Hephaestus Administrators
TOPIC: "Sharksuit" Prototype Report, Heavy Robotic Body Prototype Surrogate Report

The sharksuit armour prototype served its purpose admirably, completely protecting the user from a glancing blow powerful enough to cut a vehicle in two and send the user flying several meters. Regeneration makes armour ideal for missions with multiple engagements, though actual regeneration is too slow to be particularly useful during combat. Possibility of armour cannibalizing user to regenerate unexplored, as my suit was never compromised.

As the tester of the Heavy Robotic Body prototype was permanently killed, I believe the combat effectiveness report falls to me. Footage shows that the tester was killed by a giant alien spike. Cursory examination of site after nuclear explosion revealed no body, though it may have been buried. As such, the armour of the HRB is very much sub-standard, compared to the battlesuit. Recommend armory entry stresses this. Exoskeletal strength appears adequate, and flight capability proved quite useful. Also of note was that, despite diminished size being a design goal, the HRB is still too large for some situations.

I'd also like to point out that the integration of the braincase into the suit makes retrieval of the pilot difficult if the HRB is disabled.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: July 01, 2015, 06:40:12 pm »

((Nice work sword.))

Since Miya is back on ship now, I'm starting up a phased plan to increase Hep security.

Phase one:
-start building observation satellites/drones/ships/whatever we can place at the various systems leading directly to Hep. Give them a QEC,(quantum computer) to Hep, and maybe some stealth capabilities. They should first do a 'sweep' of the system, to ensure no presence is there yet, then monitor the FTL jump point mainly.
-Start retrofitting one of the transport ships so it can deploy these.
-Immediately start deploying once we can, first the four important systems directly to Hep (see quote)
Starting from Hep's jump point, there are dozens of systems that are reachable within reasonable time and that are inhabited, but in terms of using one of these systems as a staging base, only three or four. Two are simply large colonized worlds. They're not particularly special in terms of anything they make or their military, but they have established infrastructures and the capacity to be fortified and to work as staging points. The Third is a world near the jump point. It's tactically useful because you could use it to control the point, but there's nothing of any real interest in the immediate area, so no one has done that. The last is questionable. It's just a large asteroid field with a lot of abandoned infrastructure they could use. Not a whole lot out here to be honest. Heph is in the boondocks. Part of the reason we grabbed it.

Phase two:
-continue placing sensors, now at systems directly to Hep that aren't the above four, and systems connected to the above four. The sensor net doesn't need to be as dense or redundant (multiple satellites at different locations) as with the first four, it becomes less dense as it moves further away from Hep.
-start building cheap FTL point defense installations, going for whatever is most cost effective (nuke mines, laser turrets, whatever).

Phase three:
-retrofit (or build anew if we have the spess magic facility then) ships to place these defenses at the four main systems leading to Hep.
-Start placing these defenses.

Estimated time of completion for the different phases?

Also, when will we know whether or not the artifact Nik exploded is retrievable or not?

Quote from: General Miyamoto  To: Maurice
I just skimmed the Hep logs quickly. I... see an incident occurred. Mind to explain what the hell that was all about?

TOPIC: "Sharksuit" Prototype Report, Heavy Robotic Body Prototype Surrogate Report

The sharksuit armour prototype served its purpose admirably, completely protecting the user from a glancing blow powerful enough to cut a vehicle in two and send the user flying several meters. Regeneration makes armour ideal for missions with multiple engagements, though actual regeneration is too slow to be particularly useful during combat. Possibility of armour cannibalizing user to regenerate unexplored, as my suit was never compromised.

As the tester of the Heavy Robotic Body prototype was permanently killed, I believe the combat effectiveness report falls to me. Footage shows that the tester was killed by a giant alien spike. Cursory examination of site after nuclear explosion revealed no body, though it may have been buried. As such, the armour of the HRB is very much sub-standard, compared to the battlesuit. Recommend armory entry stresses this. Exoskeletal strength appears adequate, and flight capability proved quite useful. Also of note was that, despite diminished size being a design goal, the HRB is still too large for some situations.

I'd also like to point out that the integration of the braincase into the suit makes retrieval of the pilot difficult if the HRB is disabled.

Quote from: General Miyamoto To:Hasala Nabin  CC:Hephaestus Administrators
Excellent work with the report. If you have the time however, I'd also like a report on your last mission, and what the hell happened there that you lost 33% of your team without completing the mission objectives.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 07:15:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: July 01, 2015, 07:08:59 pm »

This is a PTW. Ignore the PTW. I was always watching this Thread.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: July 02, 2015, 09:10:06 am »

Quote from: Dr. M.Sanctor to: General Miyamoto
The Teleporter Rifle artifact, which I was testing, works by moving itself and the bearer to the first encountered obstacle in the way. I was conducting an experiment to see what happens if something 'intercepts' it in the middle of movement. Unexpectedly, it did not stop and revert to perceivable physical object when intercepted, and instead produced a massive explosion.

The whereabouts of the Teleporter Rifle artifact are unknown from that moment on, but there is data to support the hypothesis that it was not destroyed in the explosion, and was instead redirected to an outlying sector of space; as of now, there is being produced a host of searching drones to retrieve the artifact. I ensured that the artifact was properly shielded before all testing, so the physical form should be unharmed.

I accept all blame for the experiment failure, but I do believe that it was a necessary, even vital experiment that could have helped a lot with the following disassembling and examination of the artifact in question. Furthermore, it had to be conducted to check the safety and usefulness of long-distance (interstellar) teleportation, where that might have conceivably happened in regular use.
Past Sigs

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: July 02, 2015, 03:38:51 pm »

Quote from: Eddie Graceri to Hephaestus
In the preceding mission, I tested two prototypes.
1) MCP-II w/ fleshknitter tanks.
    This is an extremely useful piece of kit. It kept me alive twice on this mission, once when my arm was ripped off, and a second time when a brute force projectile broke my neck. (You could look into providing a collar to catch the helmet if it snaps back too fast? Perhaps an option?), and provided good all-round protection from Haebi threats. Excellent kit.

2) Mindfuck gun
    This weapon was banned from use by General Miyamoto while on-planet, and its short range made it useless for covering the shuttle during evac.
    Was totally unable to be used. No major opinion, range seems to be an issue. Impractical in current condition, especially due to to totally   
    untested nature, and a lack of any idea of what it can do.

Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1154 on: July 03, 2015, 11:15:16 am »

Anton Chernozorov

Deep in his private chamber, away from the prying eyes of everyone save perhaps ARESTEVE, the aging technician Anton Chernozorov was immersing himself into his work. The talk with the Doctor left an impression on him. The impending disaster was terrible; the intended countermeasure was, perhaps, even worse. He could not stand by, merely following orders, if there was the slightest chance he could find another way.

"Я не позволю... каким-то... грёбаным законам физики... стать причиной гибели стольких людей!"

He'd spent several days - almost a week - locked up in the workshop, furiously assembling something. Welding, riveting, rolling sheets of steel and aluminum. Putting together something that he hasn't seen... for a few centuries at least, chronologically.

"There. Готово."

The final bolt was in place. The power lines, connected. The eight metric tons of sensors and processing equipment, powered up and standing by.

"Ну что, зараза ты моя ненаглядная. Here we are again."

The last time he'd seen the device, the improved copy of which he was now standing beside, was, coincidentally, one of the last things he'd seen before waking up in the barracks of the Paracelsus' Sword. That was immediately before it exploded, burying Anton in burning rubble, however not before Anton was able to observe something far more spectacular.

The device, the mangled visage of an inside-out jet turbine mated to a tokamak reactor, assembled from pieces of industrial equipment and spare parts, and using nothing but simple electricity... was putting out more power than was being put into it. Several orders of magnitude more. Granted, it was putting it out in the form of a concentrated electromagnetic stream, which was at those exact moments melting the metal skeleton of a nearby apartment building, and setting its several hundred residents on fire. But it worked.

This time, he was ready for surprises. He took every possible precaution, reinforced the device in all areas he considered weak, replaced his DIY gear with properly constructed components. He didn't know what the device was going to do, exactly - with the changes he'd made, and the numbers in his head potentially not entirely correct, the result could be something unexpected - but he was sure that he could handle it. All that was left was to power it on.

The device was set to iterate through combinations of electromagnetic fields in a set pattern, gradually adjusting them, and reporting to Anton's wristcomp whenever there was an anomaly. He'd know the moment something happened that was worthy of his attention. Hopefully, he'd know about it sooner than the device blew up.

The thought that the whole experience could be brought on by stasis dementia crossed Anton's mind, briefly. But he dismissed it. Insane or not, he wants to do this. Real or not, the experiment has to be made.

Anton approached the control console and keyed in the command. When the program signaled ready, he reached for the master switch, and, perhaps a little too dramatically, slammed it down. The power converters hummed into life, and with a deep, reverberating oscillation that could be felt by anyone with metallic components, the apparatus in the center of the chamber began churning through its primary function.

The experiment has begun.
Powering up.

Quote from: Steve Saint, Head of Production  to: Dr. M.Sanctor, Head of Science  CC: Hephaestus Administration
I was just sorting through some older messages, and realized you were referring to me in that text, rather than the AI Steve. Nobody has called me Steve in years.  It's... refreshing, if a bit confusing.

I'll see about getting those accommodations set up, although I don't think I'm the most qualified to design living areas for children.  As for supervisors and caretakers, that's more of an issue.  I'll have to check for volunteers from our construction and science teams, or wait until we get the next crew shipment from Q'baja.  Do you have any opinions, here?

Additionally, I think it's quite reasonable for me to ask for more details, if I'm going to be overseeing part of this project.  Why are we creating children?  Are they soldiers?  Are they clones of Jim?  You know we have several of those in stasis already, right?  Do you have any input on how they should be raised?  At the very least how many children are there?

Actions and junk, tired...

1.I'm pretty darn integrated with our computer systems.  Saint lives in Heph's compter network more than his own body.  He's like an AI.  At this point, he's probably written a fair deal of Heph's software infrastructure himself.  Due to that, might I have had the chance to get a camera recording of the Doctor's meeting?  I'd like to see it if so.

FORCEFIELDS  ((Assume that for all these tests I repeat them ten times each, and take the average result.  I could write that into each action, but that's just massive bloat.))

2.The Forcefield armoured Heavy robotic body; you said that, bought piecemeal, its armor would cost 37-40 tokens.  However, you also said that would be a full suit for a human, so I don't think you understood the question.  What would be the price for a heavy robotic body (the miniaturized battlesuit thing), assuming we replaced the armor that is already on it?  ((For comparison, buying milnoplate piecemeal for a human would require 66 tokens for three suits, ignoring the fact that the second and third ones would be larger and therefore more expensive.  :P))

3.Say we have two completely identical forcefield projectors, both activated.  Projector A is resting on projector B's field, and is otherwise isolated from B.  If the projector A is detonated, will the detonation break B's field?

4.Let's take two forcefield projectors, both made out of fragplate.  One is a plate two feet to a side, and an inch thick, while the other is one foot to a side, and an inch thick.  Aside from size, their structures are as identical as possible.  Detonate both of them.  Does either have a larger explosion, despite them both being equally as tough?

5.Assuming that the answer to 4 was yes, and the larger plate has more explosive power, was it around four times as strong?  If not, test a few more plate variances to check if there's any logical pattern the explosive strength follows.

6. Say we have two of the HRBs that I'm asking for the price of in 2.  One is A, the other is B.  We set off a small explosion inside A, which immediately detonates every forcefield it has on it.  What is the minimum distance B must be from A, to avoid being destroyed by the blast?  Before, you've said a pound of fragplate has an explosive force in the range of .5 to .7 kilotons (I'm fine if you want to retcon that to deal with 3-5).  A .6 kiloton explosion has a fireball radius of 60 meters, and a 20 psi overpressure radius of 180 meters.

7.Take a fragplate forcefield which is roughly bullet shaped, and fire its projector at a very solid wall.  I want to calculate out the exact amount of force that it should impact with, and alter the speed so that it impacts with 20% of the kinetic energy required to break it (equal to a gauss cannon shot).  What happens?  Does the fragile projector break from the rapid velocity change?  Or does it stay intact?

We're gonna raise some unGrateful children:

8.Do we have non-con crew/sci team personnel on Hephaestus, OR would removing a few people from their ranks not impact their effectiveness?  If so, send a general message out to all Hephaestus personnel asking for volunteers who would like to change their job to raising children.  Recruit one nanny for every three children we expect to need to raise.  If there's more applicants than we need, screen them based on obvious traits (Experience raising children, background in education, loyalty to ARM, sound mind, no pedophilic history, etc.)

9.Command our one inactive Construction crew to build a facility where the children will be raised and taught.  When will the crew be done?

You mean the secret one between Anton, Maurice and the Doc?

2. I dunno the difference in height and volume but I'll assume around double that. These forcefields ain't made to be 100% coverage like that. Not to mention it would make using anything really hard, you'd have to make sure not to move to fast or you might start deflecting things you're trying to pick up.

3. Yes.

4. Well, the one that has more mass blows up bigger.

5. It varies a bit, but it seems to have an exponential increase in explosive power.

6. No more acronyms.

7. Hmm, Is this frag plate the soft stuff embedded in metal? If so, it shouldn't break.

8. Do we need humans? I was thinking robots would work.

9.Ok.  Depends, how big is it? Any specific specifications?

Then more than one it is. How many would that be, by the way?
Keep talking to ARESTEVE.

Paint the Defense of Hephaestus at its high-point as I remember it: ARM forces in the bunkers, UWM advancing, and the BIG artillery shell visibly descending through the air upon our poor bunker five.
Scrap and re-paint the 'Arrival on Hephaestus'.

Acquire my personal useless jewelry trinket, synthesised and crafted by the machinery/someone competent: A large ring, made of many thin entwined strands of mythril, crowned by a large artificial corundum gem featuring a spiral rainbow swirl of bright and clear natural gem colors.

EDIT: ((Mission batch ended, so:)) Visit the Doctor in his recently finished new lab.
[ADMIN OF SCIENCE][DEPUTY ADMIN OF ENGINEERING]
  • Micro-organisms we captured as the "gel sack" from the anomalous planetoid. Back then when Flint considered their application, there was an idea that they could be used to create self-sealing suits. Is that possible?
  • Check progress on the science teams working on the 'analyzer blobs' and radiation-seeking snake-creatures' corpses.
  • Go to the infirmary to be present as the children are born. Take each of them on hands and look closely into their eyes. Seek out divine inspiration and revelation ((of Mechanical Muse)) on the whole project.
  • Get in touch with Steve Saint and Charles Leroux to join efforts; research texts on psychology and education, ranging from the up-to-date modern to ancient classical and historical accounts - all to work out the educational and upbringing strategy for these children. Yes, I am making this an actual action because it takes the attention, effort and is intended to have in-universe results. Let's just abstract this a little for a now and slowly and efficiently work out the details in the meantime.
  • (Here was some testing of LIMPID FAN artifact.)
See, that depends. When you say human levels of intelligence are we including things like creativity? Artistic and aesthetic understanding? Philosophical and introspective qualities? Do you want a full fledged human or do you want a computer with the processing power of a human but a deterministic, if very complex, AI.

You want to do that on a canvas or you wanna go paint it on a wall as a great big mural?

Done and done.

The doc's lab is finished and he's gotten all the scanning data for the brains. He just needs someone to go over it now. As per the needed test subjects, that is being arranged for.

Yes, but sharkmist suits basically already do that.

The analyzer blobs are very promising for use as soft computers or even organic AI, but they're very complex, both on a molecular level and a "programming" level. Further work is needed. They've been ignoring the other critters for now to work on this.

Is popping them out of a tube really a birth? Anyways, the mechanical muse says:

I understand...

...Man with a Broken Nose...

...Antipode...

...Finally We are No one...

Good enough for me! I love abstracting things that sound like work!

((Nice work sword.))

Since Miya is back on ship now, I'm starting up a phased plan to increase Hep security.

Phase one:
-start building observation satellites/drones/ships/whatever we can place at the various systems leading directly to Hep. Give them a QEC,(quantum computer) to Hep, and maybe some stealth capabilities. They should first do a 'sweep' of the system, to ensure no presence is there yet, then monitor the FTL jump point mainly.
-Start retrofitting one of the transport ships so it can deploy these.
-Immediately start deploying once we can, first the four important systems directly to Hep (see quote)
Starting from Hep's jump point, there are dozens of systems that are reachable within reasonable time and that are inhabited, but in terms of using one of these systems as a staging base, only three or four. Two are simply large colonized worlds. They're not particularly special in terms of anything they make or their military, but they have established infrastructures and the capacity to be fortified and to work as staging points. The Third is a world near the jump point. It's tactically useful because you could use it to control the point, but there's nothing of any real interest in the immediate area, so no one has done that. The last is questionable. It's just a large asteroid field with a lot of abandoned infrastructure they could use. Not a whole lot out here to be honest. Heph is in the boondocks. Part of the reason we grabbed it.

Phase two:
-continue placing sensors, now at systems directly to Hep that aren't the above four, and systems connected to the above four. The sensor net doesn't need to be as dense or redundant (multiple satellites at different locations) as with the first four, it becomes less dense as it moves further away from Hep.
-start building cheap FTL point defense installations, going for whatever is most cost effective (nuke mines, laser turrets, whatever).

Phase three:
-retrofit (or build anew if we have the spess magic facility then) ships to place these defenses at the four main systems leading to Hep.
-Start placing these defenses.

Estimated time of completion for the different phases?

Also, when will we know whether or not the artifact Nik exploded is retrievable or not?

Quote from: General Miyamoto  To: Maurice
I just skimmed the Hep logs quickly. I... see an incident occurred. Mind to explain what the hell that was all about?

Quote from: General Miyamoto To:Hasala Nabin  CC:Hephaestus Administrators
Excellent work with the report. If you have the time however, I'd also like a report on your last mission, and what the hell happened there that you lost 33% of your team without completing the mission objectives.

Lets just say all that is already set up, because I feel like we've been talking about it for months. So I think thats a long enough wait time.

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 84