Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 177374 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1170 on: July 14, 2015, 04:08:52 pm »

Just define how much of the system you want to be able to be covered by this array. Like, just the area around the planet? Or the entire system? because you start having logarithmic increases in the number of reflectors needed to cover the area when you expand the scope.

I'd like a large area around Hep itself to be covered well, and the area between the FTL jump point and Hep. Does that all make sense? If yes, completion date? And with a construction crew?

What about the ring of laser turrets around the star? Is that a good/workable idea? If yes, extend the net to include the turret field and the area between it and the FTL point and Hep, and start building those.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: July 17, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »

Get details on the following:
  • How are the ARM shipments to Q'Baja transported once they are offloaded onto the planet?
  • What kind of containers are they placed in?
  • Can those containers be improved cheaply? Would doing so potentially result in them re-using the containers for other purposes?
  • Are pure piezoelectric crystal throwing knives UNCON or EXO?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1172 on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:28 pm »

Quote from: Yancy Hargraves to:Hephaestus Admins

When I reviewed the after action footage of Mission 20, I came to the conclusion we need a shuttle that can take a hit or two, is very fast, and can fight back. Basically, a Hot-Extract shuttle that is designed to get into firefights, evac the troops, and get out, preferably with extreme speed. I've attached to this message a design I feel qualifies for this on all counts:

Ares Combat Transport

The Ares is a roughly triangularly-shaped shuttle for extracting troops from a hot LZ. It is a very large(large enough for Avatars+troops to embark into the cargo area with a little squeezing), roughly Triangular shuttle with a chin-mounted heavy weapons turret, two rails for assorted munitions/weapons, and 4 "wing" mounted PD turrets(two Testament, two laser turrets in an alternating laser-testament arrangement) with lightweight armor(forcefield armoring if possible, Hexsand+Sharkplate if not) and as many engines as can be physically stuffed onto the frame; the engines also take advantage of the new plasma thruster technology to increase thrust and power while rendering the engines non-explodable.. It comes equipped with a small cockpit big enough for three people to squeeze into(one pilot, two weapons officers), and has an autopilot and computer control for the weapons.

Keep in mind that this design is tuned for speed, and not so much maneuverability. This is a combat transport, not a fighter, and should include a note on that.
Artist rendering:

Just define how much of the system you want to be able to be covered by this array. Like, just the area around the planet? Or the entire system? because you start having logarithmic increases in the number of reflectors needed to cover the area when you expand the scope.

I'd like a large area around Hep itself to be covered well, and the area between the FTL jump point and Hep. Does that all make sense? If yes, completion date? And with a construction crew?

What about the ring of laser turrets around the star? Is that a good/workable idea? If yes, extend the net to include the turret field and the area between it and the FTL point and Hep, and start building those.

Thinking about it, it might be cheaper to create a power station out there near the sun and just use it to charge blue rad batteries. Then build the lasers around heph so that even if the deflection system is broken, they can still defend the planet. I mean, we slap a big blue rad in there and it won't need recharging for a hell of a long time.

Get details on the following:
  • How are the ARM shipments to Q'Baja transported once they are offloaded onto the planet?
  • What kind of containers are they placed in?
  • Can those containers be improved cheaply? Would doing so potentially result in them re-using the containers for other purposes?
  • Are pure piezoelectric crystal throwing knives UNCON or EXO?
Depends where they're going. Plane, truck, train, boat, sub-orbital flight for stuff that needs to get somewhere really damn fast.

Depends on the goods.

We already reuse containers. We don't just throw away metal shipping boxes. And no, I really wouldn't worry about it.

hmmm. Good question. I might consider them skill-less, just strength and dex.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: July 23, 2015, 12:07:55 pm »

I read that as "Arse Combat Transport" and can't take anything seriously any more.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: July 23, 2015, 02:34:27 pm »

Thinking about it, it might be cheaper to create a power station out there near the sun and just use it to charge blue rad batteries. Then build the lasers around heph so that even if the deflection system is broken, they can still defend the planet. I mean, we slap a big blue rad in there and it won't need recharging for a hell of a long time.

Good enough for me! So, what's the ETA for the entire thing?

Secondly, can we start buying up FTL transports from our new allies? Seeing as how we can't build new FTL transports ourselves till the spess mahic factory is done. Of course, each ship should be extremely scanned, every square centimeter examined, and it's software and AI (wet or silicon) removed, burned and replaced (to prevent UWM infiltration like this). Would it be possible to build an outpost of sorts in one of the 4 strategically important systems neighboring Hep (you can choose which one) to do this scrubbing, to further prevent any unsavory elements entering the system itself (this facility could then later be used for other purposes as well, basically whenever we wanna do something 'on' Hep without actually letting a ship into the Hep system)? Idea is to use this new fleet of transports to start transporting stuff to our growing number of allies, starting with cheap but cost-efficient FTL jump point defenses.

Put a science crew or two on the Heabi sample. Make sure at least one is a Q'Baja biochem team. Date for completion?

Finally, any news on the teleporter gun Maurice 'misplaced'? Any trace of it?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:16:17 pm by Radio Controlled »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 23, 2015, 07:27:40 pm »

In that case, can the ARM logo be clearly emblazoned on every single container we deliver? Can we also request that Q'Baja uses the same logos on some of their own containers or reuses some of our containers as to misdirect sabotage attempts that are otherwise assisted by the clear labeling of ARM supplies? Can this system be replicated for all allied planets that we supply? The intent is to make the ARM logo ubiquitous. Make it common. Something that everyone sees constantly. Not unlike those used by large corporations. Seeing as the culture of Q'Baja renders compliments and whatnot less than acceptably effective, and they've already seen a demonstration of our might, the idea here is to make them see our logo constantly and be perpetually reminded of what we are doing for them. Even if, it isn't necessarily our own goods in the container of course. It isn't like we're trying to deceive them with that or anything, we're just, protecting them from sabotage.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1176 on: July 29, 2015, 10:08:55 am »

Good enough for me! So, what's the ETA for the entire thing?

Secondly, can we start buying up FTL transports from our new allies? Seeing as how we can't build new FTL transports ourselves till the spess mahic factory is done. Of course, each ship should be extremely scanned, every square centimeter examined, and it's software and AI (wet or silicon) removed, burned and replaced (to prevent UWM infiltration like this). Would it be possible to build an outpost of sorts in one of the 4 strategically important systems neighboring Hep (you can choose which one) to do this scrubbing, to further prevent any unsavory elements entering the system itself (this facility could then later be used for other purposes as well, basically whenever we wanna do something 'on' Hep without actually letting a ship into the Hep system)? Idea is to use this new fleet of transports to start transporting stuff to our growing number of allies, starting with cheap but cost-efficient FTL jump point defenses.

Put a science crew or two on the Heabi sample. Make sure at least one is a Q'Baja biochem team. Date for completion?

Finally, any news on the teleporter gun Maurice 'misplaced'? Any trace of it?

Oh, a while. Probably mission end.

We can create FTL ships without space magic. They're just not as efficient and require a lot more space to accelerate. FTL was, after all, discovered before space magic. But yeah, we can buy ships from allies. You want to just buy up any FTL ship we can and basically just steal the parts related to jumping and stick them in our ships?

Date for at least an update would be mission end. We're gonna move slow and careful with this one by default. Unless you want us to go all out!

No sign of it yet.

In that case, can the ARM logo be clearly emblazoned on every single container we deliver? Can we also request that Q'Baja uses the same logos on some of their own containers or reuses some of our containers as to misdirect sabotage attempts that are otherwise assisted by the clear labeling of ARM supplies? Can this system be replicated for all allied planets that we supply? The intent is to make the ARM logo ubiquitous. Make it common. Something that everyone sees constantly. Not unlike those used by large corporations. Seeing as the culture of Q'Baja renders compliments and whatnot less than acceptably effective, and they've already seen a demonstration of our might, the idea here is to make them see our logo constantly and be perpetually reminded of what we are doing for them. Even if, it isn't necessarily our own goods in the container of course. It isn't like we're trying to deceive them with that or anything, we're just, protecting them from sabotage.
Sure, we can go for ubiquitous branding.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:37 am »

Contact ARESTEVE, pitch the "ubiquitous branding" idea, get his advice on how many ARM-marker containers that do not actually contain ARM goods there should be (too many would make the Q'Bajans think we're just trying to promote ourselves by re-labeling things that aren't even ours, too little would limit the effects). Implement if feasible and there are no objections.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:30 am »

Date for at least an update would be mission end. We're gonna move slow and careful with this one by default. Unless you want us to go all out!
Haha, lolnope, going fast will just result in Hep becoming the new sporeworld, after which we can go do that whole mission again, only this time it knows we're coming and what we can do. No thank you sir, slow and steady's the deal.

We can create FTL ships without space magic. They're just not as efficient and require a lot more space to accelerate. FTL was, after all, discovered before space magic. But yeah, we can buy ships from allies. You want to just buy up any FTL ship we can and basically just steal the parts related to jumping and stick them in our ships?

I guess that works, though I'd like to keep a safety screening/scrubbing, just in case.

Could we get the results from the following research from the science crews working on them:
1) Skylar' God-computer. We were able to take plenty of pictures of the thing, and we have its hard drives.
2) Gratesplosion artifacts and anomalies
  • Hexagonal spike, glows blue with black swirls
  • Blackish gray crystals
  • Giant lump of spiky pollen with red glow

3) "Analyser Blob" sample from M9B. This is the 'organic computer' from the anomalous planetoid,the one we found at the end. This was researched by two science teams.

For paris: Here pw said doubling exoskeleton strength for assaultsuit: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138720.msg6039802#msg6039802

However, ooking a bit further, here he said he wasn't exactly sure about it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138720.msg6057156#msg6057156

However however, since then the double strength of an AS exoskeleton has been referenced in action posts several times, and PW never objected to it. But that might be due to forgetfulness, maybe, so if you really wanna be sure, we could ask him. Hell, I'll add it to my Hep post.

Remember my exoskeleton research? Remember how you said that, for the new battlesuit (the assaultsuit) using it meant it was now about twice as strong? Is that still the case in the new stat system? If no, what, if any, advantages did that research net us?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:13:53 am by Radio Controlled »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: July 30, 2015, 10:37:50 am »

Could we get the results from the following research from the science crews working on them:
-Skylar' God-computer
-Gratesplosion artifacts and anomalies
-"Analyser Blob" sample from M9B
((Note for Piecewise:
  • Skylar's God-computer (with hard drives and pictures of the installation) has been researched since June 23rd.
  • Gratesplosion artifacts and anomalies (last third) was due for July 1st.
  • "Analyser Blob" (organic computer substance) has been researched by two science teams since June 13th.
All of that info can be found on the wiki, of course, but tracking it down would require some time, so here is the reference sheet for your convenience.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 05, 2015, 08:50:59 am »

((Blargh, I'm so out of phase with this thing. Hm. Gotta do at least something I guess. I can't track what science and construction teams are doing what right now.))

Anton Chernozorov

> Okay, so the cost of the "robot overlord extractor" is dependent on speed. Let's say I want to design one to cost 10 token, and take a Battlesuit/Assaultsuit to orbit. How large, and how slow will it be?

> I'm pretty sure we should have at least one construction crew free at the moment. Start building a dedicated Metamaterials Foundry to up the bulk production of our special armors (and other exotic compounds) for use in spaceships, with a Contruction Crew assigned.

> And... I guess it's been long enough. How's the Experiment doing? It's been running since July 3rd, almost 5 weeks by now. Anton should be notified automatically of any anomalies by his wristcomp (unless half the planet falls into a fire dimension first).
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1181 on: August 05, 2015, 12:03:31 pm »

Contact ARESTEVE, pitch the "ubiquitous branding" idea, get his advice on how many ARM-marker containers that do not actually contain ARM goods there should be (too many would make the Q'Bajans think we're just trying to promote ourselves by re-labeling things that aren't even ours, too little would limit the effects). Implement if feasible and there are no objections.
You want to just do the containers or should we include some t-shirts and hats?

Haha, lolnope, going fast will just result in Hep becoming the new sporeworld, after which we can go do that whole mission again, only this time it knows we're coming and what we can do. No thank you sir, slow and steady's the deal.

I guess that works, though I'd like to keep a safety screening/scrubbing, just in case.

1) Skylar' God-computer. We were able to take plenty of pictures of the thing, and we have its hard drives.
2) Gratesplosion artifacts and anomalies
  • Hexagonal spike, glows blue with black swirls
  • Blackish gray crystals
  • Giant lump of spiky pollen with red glow

3) "Analyser Blob" sample from M9B. This is the 'organic computer' from the anomalous planetoid,the one we found at the end. This was researched by two science teams.

For paris: Here pw said doubling exoskeleton strength for assaultsuit: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138720.msg6039802#msg6039802

However, ooking a bit further, here he said he wasn't exactly sure about it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138720.msg6057156#msg6057156

However however, since then the double strength of an AS exoskeleton has been referenced in action posts several times, and PW never objected to it. But that might be due to forgetfulness, maybe, so if you really wanna be sure, we could ask him. Hell, I'll add it to my Hep post.

Remember my exoskeleton research? Remember how you said that, for the new battlesuit (the assaultsuit) using it meant it was now about twice as strong? Is that still the case in the new stat system? If no, what, if any, advantages did that research net us?

Good choice.

Not quite sure what you mean by that?

1) We're getting close to isolating the configuration that allowed for some of the effects. From there we can go into possible uses.
2) if you can find it, link me back to the original posts where these were gathered. If not, Give me a bit to think on it.
3) These computers are quite interesting. They have the capacity to change form and actively recreate and reprogram themselves via what is essentially complex proteins that they seem to synthesize and recreate as they need. It's an organic neural network, but one that can adapt to just about anything given the right inputs and time. We think this might surpass any wetware computer we currently have, if done right, but there is the danger of the "pure AI" problems.

Stat wise? Nothing. Just that it would just be able to lift twice as much in game.

((Blargh, I'm so out of phase with this thing. Hm. Gotta do at least something I guess. I can't track what science and construction teams are doing what right now.))

Anton Chernozorov

> Okay, so the cost of the "robot overlord extractor" is dependent on speed. Let's say I want to design one to cost 10 token, and take a Battlesuit/Assaultsuit to orbit. How large, and how slow will it be?

> I'm pretty sure we should have at least one construction crew free at the moment. Start building a dedicated Metamaterials Foundry to up the bulk production of our special armors (and other exotic compounds) for use in spaceships, with a Contruction Crew assigned.

> And... I guess it's been long enough. How's the Experiment doing? It's been running since July 3rd, almost 5 weeks by now. Anton should be notified automatically of any anomalies by his wristcomp (unless half the planet falls into a fire dimension first).

Oh right, that experiment. Lets roll a black dice.

Huh.

Well, lets do this when I have some time.

All the rest of you should pull up your robot pants and start running.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 05, 2015, 12:53:38 pm »

((Thread title: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
Self fulfilling prophecy?))
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 05, 2015, 03:02:15 pm »

Not quite sure what you mean by that?

I mean I wanna make sure we thoroughly screen every ship or part we buy, to prevent the UWM sabotaging us or infiltrating Hep or an ally like this. Like, say, we buy a ship, take its FTL parts, then next time it comes to Hep to pick up some guns to spread around like the responsible parents we are an eldritch techno-deamon crawls out of the engine and eats the planet.

1) We're getting close to isolating the configuration that allowed for some of the effects. From there we can go into possible uses.
Kay then. When can we expect the next update on this?

2) if you can find it, link me back to the original posts where these were gathered. If not, Give me a bit to think on it.

Here you go, these are the posts where we first found them:

Hexagonal spike, glows blue with black swirls: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg4919290#msg4919290
Blackish gray crystals: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg4894859;topicseen#msg4894859
Giant lump of spiky pollen with red glow: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106279.msg4897570;topicseen#msg4897570

((Go go gadget searching powers!))
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 04:09:00 pm by Radio Controlled »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 05, 2015, 04:58:42 pm »

(Assume this happens at another time than the current mission Miya is commanding. doing this now cause it'll never happen otherwise.))

Miyamoto opens a QEC commlink to Hep and speaks on the intercom in Leo's cell, after the latter has been kept out of stasis and in a blank, dull room for a few years now, eating tasteless slop just good enough to sustain him and pissing in a dirty bucket. He does so at a time he knows the subject usually wakes up.

"Well, good morning there. I hope you slept well?"

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 84