Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 176816 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1230 on: August 25, 2015, 11:50:52 am »

Anton Chernozorov
Quote from: Doc
Thermophages are common extrauniversal existences. And they are prone to attempting to leave their original confines, as they tend to drive those universes into states of heat death quite quickly. The cooling plus their commonality was enough to make a reasonable guess. Be aware that freezing it won't "kill" it, depending on its nature. It may simply alter itself somehow. I'd advise those attempting to reclaim the area should be quite careful.
"Alright. I hope you're right, Doctor."

Wait for the results of the cooling.
>The freezing has been completed and we're seeing no further expansion of the "Cold" effect. It has either been greatly slowed or completely halted for now.

The Heptagonal spike seems to be able to absorb an endless amount of thermal and electrical energy. We can't figure out how to get it back out though.

The crystals are quite dense and very sharp, but appear to exhibit no major anomalies.

The spiky pollen appears to and inhibit certain forms of space magic. Or rather, it seems to redirect the "Energy" being used to cause reality changes and convert it into heat and light.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: August 25, 2015, 02:13:20 pm »

I mean I wanna make sure we thoroughly screen every ship or part we buy, to prevent the UWM sabotaging us or infiltrating Hep or an ally like this. Like, say, we buy a ship, take its FTL parts, then next time it comes to Hep to pick up some guns to spread around like the responsible parents we are an eldritch techno-deamon crawls out of the engine and eats the planet.

So, this is being done, right? The buying of FTL ship parts and the thorough screening?

Could we get the results from the following research from the science crews working on them:
1) Skylar' God-computer. We were able to take plenty of pictures of the thing, and we have its hard drives.
Kay then. When can we expect the next update on this?

The Heptagonal spike seems to be able to absorb an endless amount of thermal and electrical energy. We can't figure out how to get it back out though.

The crystals are quite dense and very sharp, but appear to exhibit no major anomalies.

The spiky pollen appears to and inhibit certain forms of space magic. Or rather, it seems to redirect the "Energy" being used to cause reality changes and convert it into heat and light.

Wow, a great batch! Perfect heatsinks and SPACE MAGIC PROTECTION AWW YEAH!

I mean, I was gonna ask for a research project on ways to at least help defend against it ithout needing big automanips, but you just gave a very nice lead! Now we just gotta try and recreate it.

Some questions:
1) How fast can thermal energy be eaten? Fast enough to use as heatsinks for continuous-fire lasers? Fast enough to use as heatsinks for pulse lasers that create a lot of heat in a short time?
2) Any observable effects or changes after pouring in heat? Like, does it become radioactive or sentient or whatever?
3) Do the scientists working on it think we have a chance of reproducing it?

4) What kinds of spess mahics were tested, and where is the heat and light dumped/redirected to?
5) Do the scientists working on it think we have a chance of reproducing it?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: August 26, 2015, 08:02:11 am »

Anton Chernozorov

"Эх. Ну и ладно." Anton leans back in the chair. "You were correct, Doctor. Okay, ARESTEVE. What's our status?"

Inquire.
> What has been affected overall? What can't we use because of power loss, has anything important been frozen?
> What are our options in regards to going into the frozen area and finding/containing the thermophage at the source?

((Also can I do general tinkering alongside handling this situation, or should I limit it for roleplay purposes?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1233 on: August 31, 2015, 10:26:55 am »

I mean I wanna make sure we thoroughly screen every ship or part we buy, to prevent the UWM sabotaging us or infiltrating Hep or an ally like this. Like, say, we buy a ship, take its FTL parts, then next time it comes to Hep to pick up some guns to spread around like the responsible parents we are an eldritch techno-deamon crawls out of the engine and eats the planet.

So, this is being done, right? The buying of FTL ship parts and the thorough screening?

Could we get the results from the following research from the science crews working on them:
1) Skylar' God-computer. We were able to take plenty of pictures of the thing, and we have its hard drives.
Kay then. When can we expect the next update on this?

Wow, a great batch! Perfect heatsinks and SPACE MAGIC PROTECTION AWW YEAH!

I mean, I was gonna ask for a research project on ways to at least help defend against it ithout needing big automanips, but you just gave a very nice lead! Now we just gotta try and recreate it.

Some questions:
1) How fast can thermal energy be eaten? Fast enough to use as heatsinks for continuous-fire lasers? Fast enough to use as heatsinks for pulse lasers that create a lot of heat in a short time?
2) Any observable effects or changes after pouring in heat? Like, does it become radioactive or sentient or whatever?
3) Do the scientists working on it think we have a chance of reproducing it?

4) What kinds of spess mahics were tested, and where is the heat and light dumped/redirected to?
5) Do the scientists working on it think we have a chance of reproducing it?

Yep. They're on route now, actually.

The God computer is proving hard to decipher. It uses a precise arrangement of matter to fuction, and we have about 70% of that saved in harddrives and images, but there's still other things we need.  The God computer was akin to a {Redacted}-less manip, it's an amazing piece of tech but also one that requires us to get everything JUST right or it doesn't work at all. If a single wire or bit of code on the disk is out of place, we got nothing. So we're brute forcing it for now; which takes time. Lot of variables.

Dangerously fast. The only thing that protects them from going ice-9 seems to be the fact that they have a exponentially reduced effect at distances. But if you threw one into a sun...it might eat the star, given enough time.

No. Nothing. No idea where the hell it's going or how it does it.

We can replicate it, but it requires atomic level engineering and each "Spike" needs to be of a minimal size. About 8 inches long, 2 inches thick.

We tested all the ones we had access to. It seems to work on most of the matter effecting ones, microwave, magnetic, gravity; but not the mind control ones or the vector. Universal varies between actions.  The heat and light are dumped outward from the thing, in all directions. The amount of heat and light is related to the degree of attempted manipulation. Universal attempts can make it melt through the ground and blind people in the area.

We don't have to. We've found that they're self reproducing. They bud off new copies of themselves if you give them enough time or feed them enough reality distortion. It seems, if their emissions are anything to go by, that there's an underlying field on background of reality distortion in the universe. Very limited though; about akin to the amount of energy required to raise a cup of water a few degrees with the microwave amps.  We're not sure if it's uniform across the universe or if we might be effecting it by being around it in some way.

Anton Chernozorov

"Эх. Ну и ладно." Anton leans back in the chair. "You were correct, Doctor. Okay, ARESTEVE. What's our status?"

Inquire.
> What has been affected overall? What can't we use because of power loss, has anything important been frozen?
> What are our options in regards to going into the frozen area and finding/containing the thermophage at the source?

((Also can I do general tinkering alongside handling this situation, or should I limit it for roleplay purposes?))

You can tinker of you want (Grumble)

We've lost power to the growth tanks, so no more sods or organic materials for now. As well as a good amount of local manufacturing. We continue to mine resources though.

Well, if the guys from the hero killer mission survive, we could dump them in there and see if they can find the thing. Maybe capture it. Maybe just recon it out. Your choice.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 01, 2015, 01:15:45 pm »

The God computer is proving hard to decipher. It uses a precise arrangement of matter to fuction, and we have about 70% of that saved in harddrives and images, but there's still other things we need.  The God computer was akin to a {Redacted}-less manip, it's an amazing piece of tech but also one that requires us to get everything JUST right or it doesn't work at all. If a single wire or bit of code on the disk is out of place, we got nothing. So we're brute forcing it for now; which takes time. Lot of variables.
And if we were to cut open the head and study the brain of the person who made it, would that help?

Dangerously fast. The only thing that protects them from going ice-9 seems to be the fact that they have a exponentially reduced effect at distances. But if you threw one into a sun...it might eat the star, given enough time.
We can replicate it, but it requires atomic level engineering and each "Spike" needs to be of a minimal size. About 8 inches long, 2 inches thick.

For a spike of minimal size, what kind of distance can be considered 'safe', and how fast can it heat then

Also, what are its other physical properties (hardness and such)?

We don't have to. We've found that they're self reproducing. They bud off new copies of themselves if you give them enough time or feed them enough reality distortion. It seems, if their emissions are anything to go by, that there's an underlying field on background of reality distortion in the universe. Very limited though; about akin to the amount of energy required to raise a cup of water a few degrees with the microwave amps.  We're not sure if it's uniform across the universe or if we might be effecting it by being around it in some way.

Do a test to see if having more people around it increases their growth. Do the same, but this time for sods instead of regular people. Send one to deep space and see what it does. Does being close to another planetary body affect it?

What are its other physical properties (hardness and such)? Is there a minimal effective size? Can you chop them up, and are they still active then?

Could I put a science team on analyzing the field data from using Green Storm? To determine better what kinda damage happens at what exposure time and what usage 'intensity'.

We've lost power to the growth tanks, so no more sods or organic materials for now. As well as a good amount of local manufacturing. We continue to mine resources though.
Anton better find a big cushion to tie to his behind to prepare for the ass-whooping he's about to get.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:51:53 pm by Radio Controlled »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 01, 2015, 01:51:24 pm »

Anton better find a big cushion to tie to his behind to prepare for the ass-whooping he's about to get.
((I wouldn't mind RPing Anton explaining what he was doing, but there's nobody else around and Steve and the Doctor don't particularly care as long as nothing important is destroyed. And PW posts like once a week here anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a talk. :P))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 01, 2015, 03:54:53 pm »

((I wouldn't mind RPing Anton explaining what he was doing, but there's nobody else around and Steve and the Doctor don't particularly care as long as nothing important is destroyed. And PW posts like once a week here anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a talk. :P))
((Ah, but if a mission is organized to Hep, we have the perfect excuse to have Miya find out!

I wonder if the Hammer cannon can shoot people as well...))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 02, 2015, 01:01:01 am »

((Don't worry, I'll stick to things you already know about.))

((Ah, that's too bad. Was going to try and requisition a custom brain. Maybe the Doctor will be willing to share some of his.))

Well, if the guys from the hero killer mission survive, we could dump them in there and see if they can find the thing. Maybe capture it. Maybe just recon it out. Your choice.
If we can recon with drones, let's recon with drones, even if they have to be made manually. Let the living people handle the capturing, and Anton is going to go with them because he's the one who built the thing at the center of it, and if someone has to destroy it, it'll be him.

edit: Procure information from ARESTEVE and the Doctor regarding what gear we can provide for the incoming mission people to use, and what we should expect from the frozen area besides the cold.

On that note, have a Robosod wearing an MCP-1 suit enter the frozen area and see if the suit can sufficiently protect it.

As far as tinkering, Anton is going to revise and redesign his Artee plans into this (this optional). Basically, just a robotic quadruped body with paws, wheels, a tail, and two hidden arms. The only integrated weapon it keeps is the metal cutter jaw, everything else is in modules.
((TL;DR: It can handle two one-handed weapons without issues, as well as anything that requires hands; it can operate as a Sod would, and all gear that in previous concepts was just built in, is now made into optional gear that is added at extra cost, much like soldier abilities or genemods in XCOM:EW - one per slot, mostly selecting between combat and non-combat applications.))

Since Anton can't procure a brain for a prototype yet, he is going to start with assembling a body for it. That should take him long enough (without production capacity to spare) until the M22 survivors and/or rookies who are going to be helping him reclaim the frozen North anomaly section arrive.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:05:00 am by Sean Mirrsen »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 02, 2015, 01:37:38 am »

((You know what? If the cost isn't too high, I could see Anthony getting a RT unit))
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:32 am »

((Appended some actions to the post regarding the upcoming mission.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 03, 2015, 08:05:47 pm »

Hey Sean do me a favor, throw some of that space magic hammer pollen in the area of effect and see if it reacts.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 04, 2015, 05:34:24 am »

Okay, got four assignments, an in-class project and an upcoming exam so my posting rate's fucked. I'll be damned if I don't do my part for this investigation mission though.
Inquire about the following:
  • We know the facility's internal structure, right? We can figure out where ARM units are at all times assuming nothing weird is going wrong, right? Is therefore hypothetically possible (for Saint) to code an MkIII program that takes over the exoskeleton and thrusters, and uses them to fly itself along with it's wearer and whoever it's carrying out of the facility as fast as possible since it will be able to combine the two pieces of information to know what its surroundings are and what path to take?
  • Can the same be done as an exoskeleton-only program? In case burning fuel too close to the region is dangerous or isn't possible.
  • Going back to the thoughtsphere concept (the sod brain that can be used to control a robobody it is hooked up to), is it possible to create a kind of sod-brain that is designed to run away from and escape danger as quickly and efficiently as possible? Can it be used to create a thoughtsphere that can be attached to robobodies and MkIIIs? Can a braincase mobility system be modified to act as a thoughtsphere? Alternatively, can this be implemented using Snowglobe hardware as a kind of user-activated automated system?
  • How are the staff, particularly the Q'Bajans, reacting to this? Or do they not know about it yet?
  • If whatever is causing the anomalous effect (since Charles has no IC knowledge regarding its true nature) is reactivated, do we have enough coolant ready in the area to halt it again? If not, how long will it take to set up such precautions?
  • How cold does the coolant have to be? I don't suppose blowing on it will help much.
  • "Wait a minute, it's, it's almost like that time when... Wait no, that needed heat to stop, this needs cold. Don't we hav- whereisitwhereisitwhereisit...

Here. The 'elemental infuser'. Please have it, please have it. It's got to have it right? It wasn't all for naught, right? Right? It's here. It has to be here."
    Can the elemental infuser infuse objects with Ice. That is, does it have an Ice-9 battery? If so, would it be safe to use it to create cooling devices for use against the anomaly?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:57:35 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1242 on: September 04, 2015, 05:41:35 am »

Going back to the thoughtsphere concept (the sod brain that can be used to control a robobody it is hooked up to), is it possible to create a kind of sod-brain that is designed to run away from and escape danger as quickly and efficiently as possible? Can it be used to create a thoughtsphere that can be attatched to robobodies and MkIIIs?
((We do have this now: http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/wiki/Armory#Braincase_Mobility_System
You could just adapt it to make what you want.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: September 04, 2015, 05:44:13 am »

((Ooh. Good idea. I'll look into it if Coward Sods can be produced, though I fear they may be difficult to test.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1244 on: September 08, 2015, 12:37:23 pm »

And if we were to cut open the head and study the brain of the person who made it, would that help?

For a spike of minimal size, what kind of distance can be considered 'safe', and how fast can it heat then

Also, what are its other physical properties (hardness and such)?

Do a test to see if having more people around it increases their growth. Do the same, but this time for sods instead of regular people. Send one to deep space and see what it does. Does being close to another planetary body affect it?

What are its other physical properties (hardness and such)? Is there a minimal effective size? Can you chop them up, and are they still active then?

Could I put a science team on analyzing the field data from using Green Storm? To determine better what kinda damage happens at what exposure time and what usage 'intensity'.

If you can find Ker.

safe distance is pretty small actually You can't grab it with bare hands, only a couple of inches away and you'd be fine.

The speed it can absorb heat is, again, limited only by how much heat you can get into the 'non-safe' zone.

It's pretty hard but also fairly brittle. Kinda like a big rod of graphite. Pull it at an angle and it will snap. It will, however, continue functioning even when broken as long as it is within that minimal size. You can't really make armor out of it alone, and you can't coat it to make it more resistant because that will prevent it from functioning.

From what we find, being near humans seems to slightly increase the distortion. Being near planetary matter seems to decrease it while deep space away from everything seems to increase it. They are odd things. They seem to become tougher as more of them grow atop each other. Individually they're not very strong. In fact, you could destroy them with a normal claw hammer. But after growing into a cluster of about 100, they have enough resilience to survive blows with a sledge hammer.  They, however, will not function if their outer shell is broken up.

We can. If there's one around.

((Don't worry, I'll stick to things you already know about.))

((Ah, that's too bad. Was going to try and requisition a custom brain. Maybe the Doctor will be willing to share some of his.))

If we can recon with drones, let's recon with drones, even if they have to be made manually. Let the living people handle the capturing, and Anton is going to go with them because he's the one who built the thing at the center of it, and if someone has to destroy it, it'll be him.

edit: Procure information from ARESTEVE and the Doctor regarding what gear we can provide for the incoming mission people to use, and what we should expect from the frozen area besides the cold.

On that note, have a Robosod wearing an MCP-1 suit enter the frozen area and see if the suit can sufficiently protect it.

As far as tinkering, Anton is going to revise and redesign his Artee plans into this (this optional). Basically, just a robotic quadruped body with paws, wheels, a tail, and two hidden arms. The only integrated weapon it keeps is the metal cutter jaw, everything else is in modules.
((TL;DR: It can handle two one-handed weapons without issues, as well as anything that requires hands; it can operate as a Sod would, and all gear that in previous concepts was just built in, is now made into optional gear that is added at extra cost, much like soldier abilities or genemods in XCOM:EW - one per slot, mostly selecting between combat and non-combat applications.))

Since Anton can't procure a brain for a prototype yet, he is going to start with assembling a body for it. That should take him long enough (without production capacity to spare) until the M22 survivors and/or rookies who are going to be helping him reclaim the frozen North anomaly section arrive.
There's limited work that can be done with drones. A lot of blockage.

As per gear, as I said in IRC, basically anything you want thats not totally op or nonsensical.

What you can expect to find is something they can't tell you with any degree of reliability.

And yes, at least in the outer layers, it seems to be.

We'll assume you're assembling, but I dunno about the designs. Have they made it past the council? If I remember right there were concerns about the Artee, at least in terms of mass production.

Okay, got four assignments, an in-class project and an upcoming exam so my posting rate's fucked. I'll be damned if I don't do my part for this investigation mission though.
Inquire about the following:
  • We know the facility's internal structure, right? We can figure out where ARM units are at all times assuming nothing weird is going wrong, right? Is therefore hypothetically possible (for Saint) to code an MkIII program that takes over the exoskeleton and thrusters, and uses them to fly itself along with it's wearer and whoever it's carrying out of the facility as fast as possible since it will be able to combine the two pieces of information to know what its surroundings are and what path to take?
  • Can the same be done as an exoskeleton-only program? In case burning fuel too close to the region is dangerous or isn't possible.
  • Going back to the thoughtsphere concept (the sod brain that can be used to control a robobody it is hooked up to), is it possible to create a kind of sod-brain that is designed to run away from and escape danger as quickly and efficiently as possible? Can it be used to create a thoughtsphere that can be attached to robobodies and MkIIIs? Can a braincase mobility system be modified to act as a thoughtsphere? Alternatively, can this be implemented using Snowglobe hardware as a kind of user-activated automated system?
  • How are the staff, particularly the Q'Bajans, reacting to this? Or do they not know about it yet?
  • If whatever is causing the anomalous effect (since Charles has no IC knowledge regarding its true nature) is reactivated, do we have enough coolant ready in the area to halt it again? If not, how long will it take to set up such precautions?
  • How cold does the coolant have to be? I don't suppose blowing on it will help much.
  • "Wait a minute, it's, it's almost like that time when... Wait no, that needed heat to stop, this needs cold. Don't we hav- whereisitwhereisitwhereisit...

Here. The 'elemental infuser'. Please have it, please have it. It's got to have it right? It wasn't all for naught, right? Right? It's here. It has to be here."
    Can the elemental infuser infuse objects with Ice. That is, does it have an Ice-9 battery? If so, would it be safe to use it to create cooling devices for use against the anomaly?
Theoretically yes, but that assumes the facility is still in the same shape and that there aren't blockages.

Well, the ones that didn't get killed by it are reacting in about the same way you'd react to any industrial accident. It's scary and they're mourning lost friends but they don't see it as being directly our fault. Probably because we're lying about what it is.

We're getting coolant back into the area now, just in case. Also, priming the final countermeasures for if we need to really get rid of this thing.

Pretty damn cold.

It can infuse things with extreme heat and cold, yes. Using it as a weapon might be possible.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84