Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]

Author Topic: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.  (Read 176828 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Hephaestus No Longer Exists: Crater thread.
« Reply #1245 on: September 08, 2015, 04:49:49 pm »

Could I put a science team on analyzing the field data from using Green Storm? To determine better what kinda damage happens at what exposure time and what usage 'intensity'.
We can. If there's one around.
Yes there is. What ETA can we expect?

In addition, what exactly is the thing allowing green storm to work? A chip in the brain, a bunch of Steve-cells, or what? We can do this over pm if it involves seekrity seekrits.

Oh, and have the mission replay of M22 be restricted only to people who were on that mission or have gotten explicit access until the general briefing on Green Storm has taken place.

safe distance is pretty small actually You can't grab it with bare hands, only a couple of inches away and you'd be fine.
The speed it can absorb heat is, again, limited only by how much heat you can get into the 'non-safe' zone.
It's pretty hard but also fairly brittle. Kinda like a big rod of graphite. Pull it at an angle and it will snap. It will, however, continue functioning even when broken as long as it is within that minimal size. You can't really make armor out of it alone, and you can't coat it to make it more resistant because that will prevent it from functioning.

Could you define 'absorb heat' a bit more? To what temperature would it cool down eg some water that's at 20°C? Will it bring that to some sort of temperature equilibrium (if yes, what temperature?), or just keep cooling it down till it's near 0 Kelvin? And you say it only absorbs in a small radius, so whatever material is in that radius will be cooled, but if it is still in contact with the outside world, won't the cooling effect 'spread out' like that? Like how the cooling of an ice cube in a soft drink spreads out from the ice cube, and isn't contained to only cooling the liquid in touch with the ice.

From what we find, being near humans seems to slightly increase the distortion. Being near planetary matter seems to decrease it while deep space away from everything seems to increase it. They are odd things. They seem to become tougher as more of them grow atop each other. Individually they're not very strong. In fact, you could destroy them with a normal claw hammer. But after growing into a cluster of about 100, they have enough resilience to survive blows with a sledge hammer.  They, however, will not function if their outer shell is broken up.

So, if there are multiple units/cells together, they become stronger individually? How far does this strengthening go in space (aka how far can they be spread before loosing this property. Do they need to physically touch?) And does their anti-magic properties increase as well?

What's the minimum size of 1 anti-magics pollen cell where it still defends against magics? And is it more potent at greater size (of an individual cell)?

So the slightest damage to the shell will make it stop working? Will it still keep reproducing though, or is it 'dead'?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1246 on: September 18, 2015, 10:46:57 am »

Could I put a science team on analyzing the field data from using Green Storm? To determine better what kinda damage happens at what exposure time and what usage 'intensity'.
We can. If there's one around.
Yes there is. What ETA can we expect?

In addition, what exactly is the thing allowing green storm to work? A chip in the brain, a bunch of Steve-cells, or what? We can do this over pm if it involves seekrity seekrits.

Oh, and have the mission replay of M22 be restricted only to people who were on that mission or have gotten explicit access until the general briefing on Green Storm has taken place.

safe distance is pretty small actually You can't grab it with bare hands, only a couple of inches away and you'd be fine.
The speed it can absorb heat is, again, limited only by how much heat you can get into the 'non-safe' zone.
It's pretty hard but also fairly brittle. Kinda like a big rod of graphite. Pull it at an angle and it will snap. It will, however, continue functioning even when broken as long as it is within that minimal size. You can't really make armor out of it alone, and you can't coat it to make it more resistant because that will prevent it from functioning.

Could you define 'absorb heat' a bit more? To what temperature would it cool down eg some water that's at 20°C? Will it bring that to some sort of temperature equilibrium (if yes, what temperature?), or just keep cooling it down till it's near 0 Kelvin? And you say it only absorbs in a small radius, so whatever material is in that radius will be cooled, but if it is still in contact with the outside world, won't the cooling effect 'spread out' like that? Like how the cooling of an ice cube in a soft drink spreads out from the ice cube, and isn't contained to only cooling the liquid in touch with the ice.

From what we find, being near humans seems to slightly increase the distortion. Being near planetary matter seems to decrease it while deep space away from everything seems to increase it. They are odd things. They seem to become tougher as more of them grow atop each other. Individually they're not very strong. In fact, you could destroy them with a normal claw hammer. But after growing into a cluster of about 100, they have enough resilience to survive blows with a sledge hammer.  They, however, will not function if their outer shell is broken up.

So, if there are multiple units/cells together, they become stronger individually? How far does this strengthening go in space (aka how far can they be spread before loosing this property. Do they need to physically touch?) And does their anti-magic properties increase as well?

What's the minimum size of 1 anti-magics pollen cell where it still defends against magics? And is it more potent at greater size (of an individual cell)?

So the slightest damage to the shell will make it stop working? Will it still keep reproducing though, or is it 'dead'?

eh, next friday so long as someone reminds me.

It's an addition to the shock implants that allows steve to send impulses through the spinal cord. The reason why no one remembers it is that he renders you unconscious so you don't create conflicting signals.

Okie dokie

Absorb heat. Literally suck all the thermal energy out of something to the point of reaching absolute zero. Like I said, the only reason it's not a bit stick of Ice-9 level world freezing is because the effective range is so small and the air isn't gonna conduct heat well enough to let it get into the thing. They're hard to package and hold on to.

And yes, the cooling effect will spread through solid objects and things with better thermal conductivity then the loose gas of the atmosphere, but the speed of it will vary. Metal only cools so fast, so it eventually reaches an equalibrium when the amount of metal being "cooled" is high enough that the environmental heat is heating it enough to counteract  the cold...this is kinda hard to explain.

They need to be physically touching and growing on each other. It doesn't seem to increase the antimagic properties though.

They become functional as soon as they bud but their ability to absorb and counteract increases as they grow in size.

Not the slightest damage, you can't scratch it and cause it to stop, but if you break the shell, it stops and is dead. Won't reproduce.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 22, 2015, 07:02:47 am »

eh, next Friday so long as someone reminds me.
Wiki'd.
That day has long since passed us. So, results?
It's an addition to the shock implants that allows steve to send impulses through the spinal cord. The reason why no one remembers it is that he renders you unconscious so you don't create conflicting signals.
How does that even work it makes no scientific sense.
Does Steve want to keep it a secret, or are people allowed to know?

In case we tell people, how would you like to handle using it? Only when a mission commander orders it, only when a person him/herself activates/requests it, or both (aka either on personal request or override as an order)?

Is a person capable of resisting it's influence through conscious action (eg opposing will roll)?

Absorb heat. Literally suck all the thermal energy out of something to the point of reaching absolute zero. Like I said, the only reason it's not a bit stick of Ice-9 level world freezing is because the effective range is so small and the air isn't gonna conduct heat well enough to let it get into the thing. They're hard to package and hold on to.

And yes, the cooling effect will spread through solid objects and things with better thermal conductivity then the loose gas of the atmosphere, but the speed of it will vary. Metal only cools so fast, so it eventually reaches an equalibrium when the amount of metal being "cooled" is high enough that the environmental heat is heating it enough to counteract  the cold...this is kinda hard to explain.

Don't metals conduct heat (or, well, cold) pretty dang well? And if it's cooled to absolute zero, I do think it's do a number on anything it touches. And surface area increases as area of eg. liquid nitrogen and oxygen from the air increases, though it's true (I think) that as the volume increases, eventually cooling will also slow down due to heat having to conduct through a large volume. Still, if you have a sea of liquid gasses those can spread the cooling pretty dang well (though square/cube law works to our advantage here I think).

And next to that, materials change properties when they are supercooled (eg rubber gets brittle), and often not for the best from a usability standpoint (http://collections.dartmouth.edu/arctica-beta/html/EA02b-02.html).

The only real way I see to work with this would be to keep a shard contained in a vacuum container and keep it floating in the middle so the heat eating area isn't in touch with anything. Though I guess ER-tech supermaterials might also help, it'd still be dang hard to work with, and breach of containment is bad news indeed.

If a shard of minimal size is broken, what properties does it exhibit? And if a coldspike is wrapped in a forcefield, does the heat eating field stretch through the forcefield? Aka can it eat heat through the fordcefield?   

They need to be physically touching and growing on each other. It doesn't seem to increase the antimagic properties though.

They become functional as soon as they bud but their ability to absorb and counteract increases as they grow in size.

Not the slightest damage, you can't scratch it and cause it to stop, but if you break the shell, it stops and is dead. Won't reproduce.

If one puts a pollen inside a sturdy box and lets it grow, what happens when it grows so big it fills the box? Does it stop growing, or continue to grow until it cracks either the box or the pollen itself cracks, killing it?

If we take a pollen and slowly 'shave away' the shell of the pollen layer by layer until the inner part is exposed, at what point does it 'die'? Could one bore a very small hole inside a pollen shell without killing it?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 10:29:05 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 27, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »

((PTW.  I feel like my hypothetical character may spend more time here than not-here.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: October 21, 2015, 01:14:30 am »

Time to yell increasingly granular questions at the universe. Also known as Tinkering.
  • What is the maximum quantity of pimp cane metal that can be controlled by a single person?
  • Is it possible to continuously use the pimp cane? Or would that result in the user becoming mentally exhausted?
  • Is it possible to modify a robo-body so that its joints or servos contain pimp cane metal that can be used in emergencies to increase physical strength?
  • Is it possible to modify a robo-body so that a large proportion of it is actually made out of pimp cane metal so that space wizards can use it to levitate and do crazy shit in emergencies?
  • Is it possible to just make a body almost entirely out of pimp cane metal so that space wizards can continuously use it to levitate and do crazy shit in the few turns they have before they presumably fall comatose or something?
  • Now for the obligatory question regarding Charles' near fetishistic obsession with turrets. If a turret's motors/joints are replaced with pimp cane metal and remotely controlled, would it use EXO? Or would it turn into some unholy abomination that requires EXO to actually use, but still requires CON to aim?
  • What happens if an Oslov Spear receives insufficient power? Does it just not work? Is the power requirement proportional to anything? Or is it just a constant?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:59:36 am by Empiricist »
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: October 24, 2015, 09:20:07 pm »

There is no tinker in the PM I sent you, but it is my Hephaestus action.  It's just interesting, easy, worldbuilding.

This post, however, is a fair bit more important to me, and I would really like it to be answered.  Basically, I don't think the way Hephaestus is being run is really the way anyone wants it--Hephaestians aren't posting often, and you aren't updating often.  I really think this needs to change, even if it means Hephaestus becomes automated (:().

Now, I have some ideas about what could be changed, but what do you think is the problem?  Why are your posts so infrequent here?  Is it unpleasant?  Can the unpleasantness be fixed?  If not, I honestly think Heph should be shut down; I know you hate my guts, but I don't think we should play the way we do if it's unpleasant for you.

As far as what I think needs to be changed:

Firstly, our whole system of dates and costs and everything.  All the numbers; The number of sods grown each month, the number of days we've spent building space mines, the number of ships that we have.  The facilities constructed, beyond stuff like the SMF, and the crews that build them.  Primarily, this stuff should go because I really doubt any of it will ever matter; Will Piecewise let us win a planet because we deployed 2000 sods rather than 500?  Win a space battle because we had twenty cruisers rather than ten?

Is the UWM going to utterly fail to invade the Heph system because we spent 60 days building mines around the jump point?  If not, will they fail because every month for the last two years, a construction crew finished building a shipyard which builds two construction ships every month, each of which builds 40 mines per month it's active?

(By the way, there's a bunch of things that we could easily have set up such an exponential growth with.  I never did because, well, I doubted it would matter.  And it would make keeping the wiki page up-to-date harder.)

Secondly, we really, seriously need to sort out what the hell we're supposed to be doing.  Heph is a haven for tinkerers to improve our armory equipment, yes?  ...Or are we supposed to be building the supplies for the war effort?  Or researching how alien technologies work?  All of the above?

If it's tinkering, well, I know at least one council member is out of the loop (I seem to remember someone saying they hated power creep, and that 4 tokens spent after M30 shouldn't be better than 4 tokens spent after M20).  If it's creating supplies, I already wrote about that.  If it's researching space magic, how are we supposed to do that?  Tell science crews to poke artifacts until technology pops out?  Is said tech supposed to create power creep, or just sit on the wiki to make ARM seem less hypocritical?

...There's my rant.  I'm not sure how helpful it is, nor am I sure if it's even understandable.  I just hope it'll make things change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: October 24, 2015, 09:39:39 pm »

((Your tags are clever, but they seem to be a little broken.))

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: October 24, 2015, 09:57:17 pm »

((Depends on resolution; I tested it on my laptop.  I fixed it on my phone, but you kinda spoiled the surprise.  Oh well. :( ))
Whaaaat?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: October 30, 2015, 09:51:08 pm »

Yes, this is two action posts in one thread.  Sorry, until recently I hadn't realized that all automanips/amps/synthflesh everywhere had broken.

ASSESS THE STATUS OF HEPHAESTUS.  Nothing catastrophic has happened, right?  How much infrastructure has been damaged/rendered nonfunctional?  What happened to the Space Magic production Facility?  It was completed before the U9 event happened.  And was on a different orbital body than Saint.

What's happening with the Thermophage?  Is it going to start growing again, and do we have the resources to refreeze it?  Or keep it frozen for an extended period of time?

Saint is currently in a superheavy robobody--essentially a full-size assaultsuit with the cockpit replaced by three braincases (two containing sods) and a QEC.  Also, it flies.  Until I'm told he's safe, he's flying away from danger, and towards whatever ship we may have that's capable of AMless jumping.  Just in case.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: January 22, 2016, 06:39:21 pm »

Vanessa, after much walking, taking shuttles, and presumably guidance from ARESTEVE, finally arrives at the Hephaestus complex. Or the thing where all the team members are. Whatever. S/he's been headed to wherever the Doctor is.

So s/he sends a message to all the ARM members currently on Heph.

Quote from: Vanessa Anagrid->All M26 members
Greetings, all! My name is Vanessa Anagrid, I'm a fellow member of ARM like yourselves. I've traveled a while to get here and I'm sure you're busy, so I won't waste words. Where can I find the Doctor?

((This is effectively the same thing I posted in the m26 thread, just here because I wasn't aware the apocalypse lab was multiple AU away.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: January 28, 2016, 04:24:30 pm »

"The Queen is Dead. Long Live the King!"

On this day, by the majority vote of acting Hephaestus Administration, the position of the Supreme Administrator of Hephaestus has been restored as it were, according to the Articles of Agreement between the first Supreme Administrator Simulacrus Ferratum-Inanis and Steve. Of the body of Hephaestus Administration, Head of Science, Deputy Head of Engineering Dr. Maurice Sanctor has been elected to the office.

"I, Maurice Sanctor, do solemnly and sincerely swear that I will truly and faithfully, to the best of my knowledge and judgement, lead the Staff of Hephaestus, govern the People of Hephaestus, uphold the Law of Steve and the Will of Humanity, execute the power and trust reposed in me as Supreme Administrator of Hephaestus. So help me Mistress."

As my first order in the office, I hereby proclaim...

Spoiler: Hephaestus Directives (click to show/hide)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84]