Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Datan and the City of Glass - A DF Story (Posted-In-The-Right-Board Edition)  (Read 5120 times)

Roach

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMOLATE][LIKES_HUGGING]
    • View Profile

Entry number 9, full of danger and excitement and [insert buzzword here]!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How do I do it? Prune juice.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

I hate to bump written stuff like this, but... still alive?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hate to bump written stuff like this, but... still alive?

I really should have written a note, sorry.

The story is very much alive, but it's undergoing a bit of a problem. I lost the journal I kept of the years between where I am now playing it, and where the last entry is -- that is, the journal which tells me in brief bullet points what happened so I can write about it. In a moment of brilliance, I wiped it by accident.

This means that the next few posts will be based entirely off of what I can scrounge in legends mode (thankfully I kept the save) and, frankly, a bit of invention in my part, but it should all mesh together fairly well. So that's part of the reason for no updates. The other reason is that IRL's been a bit inconsistent recently. But you have my word, I will get back on it. Right now I'm just getting my story together for the months between now and the last entry though, so I have a battle plan.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So here's post 10. Blood, guts and pathos, as well as a minor funny.

I figured out a barebones plan for what I'm going to do for future entries, and it should hopefully all be pretty seamless. Also fixed up a contents page with fancy links and all on the first post.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Entry Number 11, reporting.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Entry 12, with an interesting notes post to follow on the history of dwarven hand gestures! Well, you know. "Interesting". I like it.

Endnotes:
1: pommel-slapping: A curious hand gesture, with confusing variation in meaning. For more information, see the notes post following this one, section "Pommel-slapping".

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As promised, the history of "pommel slapping", a Tustemeri hand gesture. I can't believe I wrote this and enjoyed it so much

Also, of note, I use the expression "b.t." in this post, just because the shorthand is handy. All it stands for is the equivelant of "BC" in modern english: 25 b.t. is 25 years before 1st of Granite, 1 in the Minbazushal history.

Endnotes:
1: Draltha baron: Tuthanir Rom notes from a conversation with a travelling merchant that Akrulbūnem was the thriving nexus of a Draltha ranching craze for a period of time beginning around 8th century b.t. and ending sometime 6th century b.t. (700 b.t. - 500 b.t.)
2: "Kogsak the Prim", as he was known, had a short, unpopular reign during the beginning of 4th century b.t. Akrulbūnem. He was mostly known for his obsessions with manners and politeness, and reportedly created several new laws to force the Akrulbūni people to conform to his frankly insane ideas of propriety.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Entry no. 13. True to entry number, a Bad Thing happens.

Endnotes:
1: Symbol decision: if a dwarf was born and subsequently died in the same place, then the symbol engraved on their slab would be the symbol of that place by default. However, because Vucar was (presumably) born in Akrulbūnem and died in Eribrakas, his wife is allowed to choose his grave's "loyalty": his place of birth, place of death, or the "safe" option of the nation as a whole's symbol.
2: Symbols: Akrulbūnem's symbol was two crossed quills, with a wooden spear rising from between them. Eribrakas's was an hourglass with a dwarven head and a goblin head on either side, both facing inward. Tustemerush's was simply opal cut gems.
3: Tustemeri funeral processions were always led by military personnel; the idea was that with their presence, they would "guard" the fallen soul from harm in its passing to Etur.
4: Tustemeri funerals had a speech that had to be made in an ancient tongue, which the dwarves memorised for the purpose, but did not know the meaning of.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Poor Vucar, such is life in glorious Eribrakas. I love all of the little details you slip into this, by the way. They're really well thought out, but they aren't distracting either.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:31:39 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, yeah, Vucar had an unhappy ending. I'm afraid it gets worse before it gets better though: here's Entry 14 as proof. And thank you, I try to keep the details non-intrusive. Most of the long stuff I try to put in notes entries instead, as regards to background lore and things. Are the notes entires still worth doing in your opinion? I like writing them.

Entry 14, with another history of a fallen Eribrakan heroine in the post to follow this one!

Endnotes:
1: Zesokun: a famous dwarven spear, with a great many kills to its name. Its date of construction is not recorded, but it first killed in the year 23. Name translates to "Brandedshrines".
2: fitting moniker: Datan never explains exactly how he finds this name fitting, but it's assumed that he sees Eribrakas as a form of shrine (perhaps to Etur, or dwarvenkind) which has now been forever branded by the event that the spear brought to an end: the rampage of the sloth-like riraskorfer.

Roach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is another one of Datan's Histories of fallen Eribrakan heroes, covering an early heroine of the fortress who did much to consolidate the city's safety.

Endnotes:
1: Silver Pick: a Tustemeri military accolade, presented to soldiers who displayed "outstanding valour, going above and beyond the call of duty in a non-combatitive situation". Consisted of the presentation of a ceremonial silver mining pick.
2: Domas Abenlāven: this dwarf died before Obok, in the Great Eribrakan Riot of 14 a.t.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

Most of the long stuff I try to put in notes entries instead, as regards to background lore and things. Are the notes entires still worth doing in your opinion? I like writing them.

I enjoy them, yeah. The pommel slap thing was particularly clever. But even if I didn't, I'd still say they're worth doing if you enjoy writing them.

Nail

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud hypocrite
    • View Profile

The notes give a kind of personal flavor to your stories, since it adds to the standard we know. It makes Tustemerush unique.
And they certainly don't detract from the story; as long as you keep Datan's journal self contained, one can just skip them. So if you like doing them, do it.
left eye
Pages: 1 [2]