Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 772186 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #1695 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:18 pm »

So you're saying, it looks differently if you override a tile and if you just change it in the main tileset and not use TWBT at all?
I just want to separate possible TWBT issues and DF specifics, like that for some items it uses bg/fg colours and for some only one colour, for unknown reason.

Hah, NewFg and NewBg were a requested feature as well, it's used when you have a colourful image for a tile and want to retain its colours instead of applying material colours.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: May 26, 2015, 11:54:24 pm »

I went into my overrides and commented out the SoilWall overrides. Then, I went into my tileset and replaced the tiles (176, 177, 178) with my new soil tiles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It seems to work just fine now. However, I still want to use overrides because glaciers, smoke and the minimap look like soil now. DX

Hah, NewFg and NewBg were a requested feature as well, it's used when you have a colourful image for a tile and want to retain its colours instead of applying material colours.

I don't do that but I could see how it's useful. It seems like a bit of a cop-out to make all of your items the same color, though.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:54:09 am by DragonDePlatino »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1697 on: May 27, 2015, 12:42:08 am »

Thanks, now I'll try to find the problem in TWBT. Last time I checked I was sure it doesn't touch colours...

I don't do that but I could see how it's useful. It seems like a bit of a cop-out to make all of your items the same color, though.

The game will mix you image colours with tile foreground colour and if you want your colours to stay as-is, you have to have white fg colour. If your tile image is complex and colourful, you'd want to sacrifice material colour information because mixed with non-white fg colour it would look like shit (or just too dark for some materials).

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: May 29, 2015, 08:00:38 pm »

Quick question...

Along with support for animated buildings, is support for changing hard-coded workshop tiles in development? Like, so that you could eventually give every tile of a hard-coded workshop a unique graphic?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1699 on: May 31, 2015, 10:39:29 am »

Quick question...

Along with support for animated buildings, is support for changing hard-coded workshop tiles in development? Like, so that you could eventually give every tile of a hard-coded workshop a unique graphic?

Hm, I thought it was clear that this is one of the main features of the next version.

sic8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: May 31, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »

You've done some great work here mifki and I'm loving the quality of the new tilesets people are producing to go with your mod.

Has yourself or anyone figured out how to get transparency in? Is it possible? Would certainly look stunning with the new tilesets.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: May 31, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »

It's a pretty tight utility, ain't it? Asides from the background and item glitches, I've been really happy with my results so far!

I'm afraid I haven't figured out how to create alpha-transparent layers, though. When TWBT is doing multilayer rendering, I believe it takes the topmost tile of a coordinate and renders that. Alpha transparency would be pretty cool for things like smoke, though.

sic8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: May 31, 2015, 08:39:25 pm »

Your work is coming along great Dragon. Really looking forward to it.

Wouldn't TWBT be able to grab more information about each coordinate? So if a coordinate has for example, a dwarf and a floor on it, render the floor first then the dwarf on top. Or a coffin over a floor. Etc etc. A hierarchy list could be established based on what is more important to show on top. For example floor<item<dwarf. Would help the sprites blend together much much better.

Of course this requires the tileset to support it however with alpha transparency on the sprites.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: May 31, 2015, 09:32:16 pm »

At this point I am convinced mifki is a wizardninja so I'm pretty excited to see what the update he's been working on will do.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: May 31, 2015, 10:15:46 pm »

Your work is coming along great Dragon. Really looking forward to it.

Wouldn't TWBT be able to grab more information about each coordinate? So if a coordinate has for example, a dwarf and a floor on it, render the floor first then the dwarf on top. Or a coffin over a floor. Etc etc. A hierarchy list could be established based on what is more important to show on top. For example floor<item<dwarf. Would help the sprites blend together much much better.

Of course this requires the tileset to support it however with alpha transparency on the sprites.

That would change everything! You'd always be able to see what's under someone's feet! Tileset artists wouldn't have to put textures under their sprites! You could use any graphics you want for the floors without worrying about attribute clash (a.k.a big annoying squares)! IMO that would be a game-changer, even bigger than something like multilevel rendering.

But alas, it would render most older tilesets incompatible and wouldn't really work with ASCII graphics. I'd certainly be interested in seeing that once the building overrides and bugfixes are complete, though.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: May 31, 2015, 11:23:25 pm »

But alas, it would render most older tilesets incompatible and wouldn't really work with ASCII graphics.

It could be optional.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: June 01, 2015, 03:42:44 pm »

So, mifki, how are the bugfixes coming along? Have you figured out what was causing the issue with the scrolling tiles and items?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1707 on: June 02, 2015, 06:17:39 pm »

Transparency is the ultimate goal. Not much technical difficulties to implement, it's more about incompatibility with current tilesets, as mentioned, and some logical issues with colours. Again, currently tile is coloured with foreground colour, tile's transparent pixels are showing background colour. But once there's real transparency, how do we distinguish what pixels are transparent and what should show background colour? Or do we abandon bg/fg colours idea at once and use only fg colour (but making it possible to use >16 colours)? But that's even more incompatibility with current graphics. Anyway, it's all back to the discussion about colours, and actually that's the only thing holding me back from implementing transparency and some other things.

But DragonDePlatino, your tileset has black background anyway, why are you so excited about transparency?

Fixes are coming along slowly, honestly, the DF Remote for iOS project is of higher priority for me now, as I need to release at least alpha/beta version asap.

PS. I think I know a way to make plant growth tiles and tree/shrub tiles customisable.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 02, 2015, 06:38:12 pm »

But once there's real transparency, how do we distinguish what pixels are transparent and what should show background colour?

Easy. Pure black is background and pure magenta is transparency. This could have a lot of applications, like letting you change the background color of a barrel based on what liquid is in it while still having transparency:

The only downside is that you cannot have alpha blending for the background color. But it's a worthy tradeoff since you'll have your barrel sitting on a nice floor tile or grass tile.

But DragonDePlatino, your tileset has black background anyway, why are you so excited about transparency?

My graphics set has a black background because DF does not have proper transparency support. :)

Fixes are coming along slowly, honestly, the DF Remote for iOS project is of higher priority for me now, as I need to release at least alpha/beta version asap.

PS. I think I know a way to make plant growth tiles and tree/shrub tiles customisable.

I completely understand. Expanding the DF audience to mobile is a much bigger priority than marginal graphical improvements.

Also, do tell. My current method of overwriting plants is changing them in the raws and then creating new overrides to reflect that. I'd be interested to see what you have in mind.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: June 02, 2015, 07:14:39 pm »

I completely understand. Expanding the DF audience to mobile is a much bigger priority than marginal graphical improvements.

It's not just mobile though - the server can also be used as the backend for entire UI replacements on the desktop.  As an example, this could eventually allow the entire game to be played through Armok Vision!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 184