Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763587 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #1800 on: November 08, 2015, 04:46:24 pm »

There's a recent discussion of this somewhere - it's because overrides specify different images for several tile types that the game normally displays with the same ASCII character. Therefore when moving, character doesn't change and I (and the original graphics code) don't update such tiles. It wasn't a problem before but probably now I'll add an option to always update all tiles that you can activate for affected tilesets (but we'll need to see how this affects gFPS).

Makes sense.  FWIW, I'll always leave that option on, because correct behaviour is much more important than the performance issue. But you can include this option in init script based on tileset, right (in launcher)?

DFHack r4 has been tagged and the binaries should be uploaded soon, so maybe a build for that?

It's not that simple, as far as I remember the slowdown was quite significant if there's a lot of item overrides on screen (large stockpile) and you're just moving the cursor so most of the tiles don't change.

Cool, I'll make a build for r4 tonight or tomorrow.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1801 on: November 12, 2015, 04:54:04 am »

New build is available for 0.40.24-r4. Needs testing on OS X due to some issues with compilers.
Also, I haven't updated the bundled plugins yet to include the latest changes form dfhack repo, if any.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: November 12, 2015, 05:08:32 am »

Thanks!

There's a small change to automaterial to disallow constructing over constructions, but otherwise nothing substantial.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: November 12, 2015, 07:45:21 pm »

I personally think you should include fixes to plugins you're distributing - users shouldn't have to choose between TwbT or fixing issues in other plugins.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:32 am »

Wasn't the needed changes to renderer merged into dfhack? Can't we merge in the mifki plugin fixes so that it would not need special releases for plugins?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1805 on: November 13, 2015, 03:08:52 am »

Wasn't the needed changes to renderer merged into dfhack? Can't we merge in the mifki plugin fixes so that it would not need special releases for plugins?

No. We've discussed this with lethosor some time ago and more or less agreed what to do, but I haven't, my bad.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: November 13, 2015, 04:36:50 am »

I, and I imagine many other people who do their own installations, would appreciate this.  It's a lot easier to just deal with adding (or removing) one plugin if we don't need to check the compatibility of three others.
 Donations here.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: November 13, 2015, 06:51:48 am »

I'm not sure what "changes to renderer" you mean. One way for TwbT to play nicely with other plugins is to allow it to hook into a few DFHack functions, which I've been meaning to do but I'm not sure what sort of impact on performance it would have.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: November 13, 2015, 09:37:53 am »

I'm not sure what "changes to renderer" you mean. One way for TwbT to play nicely with other plugins is to allow it to hook into a few DFHack functions, which I've been meaning to do but I'm not sure what sort of impact on performance it would have.
I mean I thought this was already added: https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt/blob/master/renderer_twbt.h#L63-L65
Although it could be extended so we could have more things like this (however unlikely).

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: November 13, 2015, 08:28:38 pm »

I didn't want to hardcode support for TwbT in other plugins (and I'm not entirely sure if that method is safe, since it checks the contents of other, random memory for non-TwbT renderers, which could well be invalid, or, even worse, set to 'TWBT', which could cause all sorts of crashes).
Anyway, here is some initial support for hooks. They're somewhat similar to vmethod hooks (and are uninstalled automatically when a plugin is unloaded if they're set up correctly). It only supports paintTile()/paintString() and related functions, but I didn't notice a significant performance difference even with my example plugin enabled, so supporting the other functions that TwbT needs to hook into shouldn't be hard.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: November 22, 2015, 10:01:42 am »

If possible I would like the map to use the graphics tileset instead of the ASCI representation.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: November 22, 2015, 12:25:08 pm »

Doesn't TwbT do that already?
If you're referring to my changes, those are only internal changes to how TwbT modifies the behavior of other plugins - they should keep using the map tiles in the map.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1812 on: November 22, 2015, 04:01:07 pm »

Doesn't TwbT do that already?
If you're referring to my changes, those are only internal changes to how TwbT modifies the behavior of other plugins - they should keep using the map tiles in the map.

He's probably talking about the world map during embark.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: November 22, 2015, 11:54:34 pm »

New build is available for 0.40.24-r4. Needs testing on OS X due to some issues with compilers.
Also, I haven't updated the bundled plugins yet to include the latest changes form dfhack repo, if any.

Quick bump - any progress on updating the bundled plugins?  Either way, it would be great to release on Github.
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1814 on: November 23, 2015, 04:52:13 am »

Quick bump - any progress on updating the bundled plugins?  Either way, it would be great to release on Github.

Done.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 184