Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 770869 times)

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #1815 on: December 12, 2015, 01:34:36 am »

Hey mifki,

Two things:

First, thanks so much for adding redraw_all.  Not sure when you added it but I only noticed it recently, and it has enabled me to use the latest Spacefox additions from LeoCaen, without 'bleeding' tiles all over the place.  And I can't notice any significant slowdown at all.  Very nice!

Secondly, what are your plans regarding TWBT update for v42?  DFHack has now reached pre-release version v42.02-r0, and is fairly functional against DF v42.02.

Tonight I have updated TWBT patches.hpp for OSX and done a first compile of OSX TWBT for v42.02 and it seems to be working pretty well:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Currently it only supports fortress mode, due to some compilation errors relating to missing struct members in DFHack's viewscreens for adventure mode.  I am guessing this is because DFHack's adventure mode support is not yet complete for v42 in the pre-release builds:

In order to get a working build, I simply edited legacy/renderer_legacy.hpp and tileupdate_text.hpp and removed the conditional block if (IS_SCREEN(viewscreen_setupadventurest)).  So this will totally break Adventure Mode I am sure, but it allows it to compile and it seems to work well in Fortress.

I am guessing this is an issue in the latest DFHack, missing some Adventure mode viewscreen methods that used to be there?  Or perhaps they have been renamed, I have not yet checked. 

Anyway, apart from that the resulting build appears to work well in fortress.  I haven't yet tested the TWBT versions of automaterial, mousequery, etc, but don't anticipate any problems with those.

Tomorrow we're expecting/hoping v42.03 to come out so my plan was to wait until that comes out and then update patches.hpp again for 42.03, and then send you a pull request to your Github.  I figure there's no point supporting v42.02 if .03 is very soon out, and Toady has indicated that it may well come tomorrow.   (I don't know how long it will take DFHack to update to -03, but I figure it should probably be quick, and anyway is probably not a dependency on finishing the TWBT patches.hpp changes.)

Also I plan to do the Patches updates also for Linux, and hopefully Windows too.  So I will try and submit them all to you at the same time.  I also thought I might submit to you a quick little build script to make compilation a bit easier (I had to make a few edits to the Makefile which could be handled easier in a build script, like I am also working on for DFhack itself.)

Do you think you would then do a pre-release TWBT binary release?  Or do you want to wait until DFHack is on a stable release and the Adventure mode issue is fixed?

Let me know your thoughts.

PS.  Thanks so much for the documentation in Patches.md.  Once I started to understand a bit about Hopper, it was very straightforward to follow your excellent instructions.  I could not have done anything without that.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1816 on: December 13, 2015, 03:36:55 pm »

I'm glad someone else figured out how to update patches and can help, thank you.

I will release a build for v42 if people think it's playable/stable enough already. It's just too much for me to patch/test for 3 platforms for each minor DF version.

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: December 13, 2015, 03:50:05 pm »

No worries - it was fun! Mostly :)

I guess we will see how DFHack goes.  Right now DFHack is kinda-sorta usable in 42.02 - some useful things work, many useful things don't work.  And there may be random crashes. 

But 42.02 itself has quite a lot of bugs, and 42.03 fixes a lot of these and so is much preferable for users.

The DFHack core guys have decided to delay updating for 42.03 until they have finished (or close to finished) for 42.02, so that they can see what changes from 02->03.   I don't know how long that will take but I'm hoping a matter of a couple of days sort of timescale.

So we can't do finish TWBT for 42.03 yet until symbols.xml is updated for .03, and I don't think there's any point doing it for 42.02 because even though it has half-working DFHack, it also has a lot of DF bugs.

If 42.03 becomes working in DFHack soon (at least as well as it now works in 42.02) then I'm happy to do the three TWBT updates myself.  I have already done the process once for OSX, and I started it for Windows just so I could check that I could do it.  Not tried Linux yet but that looks like the easiest one.  And I really like that Hopper on OSX can open the Windows, OSX and Linux executables, so I don't even need to use my Windows and Linux VMs except for testing at the end.

So yeah let's see what happens for 42.03 and if it is ready soon, I would like to do the patches and save you the work :)

RadGH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: December 13, 2015, 04:21:48 pm »

I've been playing 42.02 a lot and I have to say, the bug with military not properly equipping their armor makes the end game very lame. This is a pretty big issue but it's fixed in 42.03. That's the only major issue I've experienced so far.

If we had to pick between 42.02 and waiting a bit longer for 42.03, you should go with 03!

If .04 came out tomorrow, I would be satisfied with .03 for awhile.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: December 13, 2015, 04:44:15 pm »

Regarding DFHack, we (meaning Quietust and Angavrilov) are sorting out some issues with vtables and structures in .02 first, then moving to .03. Hopefully .03 will be stable enough to release soon after that, but I can't make any guarantees.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: December 13, 2015, 08:50:01 pm »

Quick update:  I've experimentally found patches.hpp settings on 42.03 OSX that depend on DFHack's symbols.xml.

So I think I don't need to wait for DFHack 42.03.  I will have a go tomorrow at completing patches.hpp so we're ahead of the game and ready to go the minute DFHack is ready.  (Won't be able to actually test it until DFHack is ready, of course.)

It's not hard:  I looked up viewscreen_dwarfmodest and dungeonmodest in the 42.02 symbols.xml, found the third DWord to give me render(), and went to that address in both 42.02 and 42.03 executables.  Then I just scrolled down in the 42.03 code until I found a procedure that looked (nearly) identical to the 42.02 version and was clearly the same procedure, offset.  The offset for dwarfmodest's render() was +ca0 and for dungeonmodest it was +d00.  So not too far to look (shame it wasn't the same though.)  That gave me A_RENDER_MAP and pretty soon should give me A_RENDER_UPDOWN and I can use the same principle for the rest of patches.hpp I hope.  I will look in more detail tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 09:40:24 pm by TheBloke »

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: December 26, 2015, 05:03:02 am »

DFhack is out now. Does this need an update too?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: December 26, 2015, 05:21:08 am »

Yes, but it'll probably be a while.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

scenegg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: December 26, 2015, 05:37:20 am »

Yes, but it'll probably be a while.

Gotta love TWBT. TheBloke said it will be either today or tomorrow.

TheBloke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: December 26, 2015, 05:49:56 am »

Yeah I got started with the new offsets and will try to get them finished today, tomorrow worst case.

And to be clear, anything I put up is an unofficial release, and also it will almost certainly not work in adventure more due to a minor code re-write needed in that part for 42.03.  mifki will need to look at that when he is available to do so.

But fort mode should work OK I hope. 

Will update later when I can.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1826 on: December 26, 2015, 05:58:39 am »

Uh oh. Will do as soon as I get home tomorrow night, if everything goes well with dfhack compilation, etc.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: December 26, 2015, 06:07:57 am »

Yay! All I really want is the multilevels for fort mode, it looks so cool! I haven't used it before and I'm stoked for it!

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: December 26, 2015, 06:41:23 am »

Uh oh. Will do as soon as I get home tomorrow night, if everything goes well with dfhack compilation, etc.

Don't bend over backwards for some assheads on the internet, they'll quickly start expecting that as the norm.

(you're precious to us. thanks)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: December 26, 2015, 07:06:52 am »

Don't bend over backwards for some assheads on the internet, they'll quickly start expecting that as the norm.

(you're precious to us. thanks)

Amen, amen.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 184