Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 769840 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #330 on: June 28, 2014, 09:54:14 pm »

Downloaded the latest MW (thanks Meph), tried out the multi level rendering on an existing fort. Looks great, my fps went from ~40-45 to a steady 13 though.

Still, looks really good.

I'm trying to optimise things but still it's rendering (not OpenGL I mean but from world to symbols) of up to 10 times more, depending on the size of visible area on lower levels.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #331 on: June 28, 2014, 09:55:39 pm »

Its the logical reason for the blue coloration. It comes from humidity and the wavelength of sunlight, bla blub. It makes sense in hills and forests. But it makes no sense in caves.

Oh, this.. Ok, I can have two different "fog" colours for above and below ground.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #332 on: June 28, 2014, 11:36:20 pm »

Even some dfhack screens like advanced stocks have hardcoded max item name length and don't benefit from smaller font size.. Arrrgh!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 29, 2014, 12:34:26 am »

Even some dfhack screens like advanced stocks have hardcoded max item name length and don't benefit from smaller font size.. Arrrgh!

This will probably be counted as a bug - or at least an issue to improve. I suggest reporting this as broken wherever you find it.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #334 on: June 29, 2014, 12:40:06 am »

This will probably be counted as a bug - or at least an issue to improve. I suggest reporting this as broken wherever you find it.

Ok.
I'm just trying to understand is it worth working on separate text/graphic tile sizes, i.e. how many screens and other places would benefit from that.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 29, 2014, 01:14:04 am »

I think the major point of non-square tiles for text is better character spacing that doesn't make your head hurt when you try and read it against a black background. The actual amount of extra characters you can stuff on the screen is secondary.

How many screens are there in the game that'd benefit from being able to display more than one shape of tile, anyway? The main playing area (dwarf & adventure), the embark screen with the maps on it... what else?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #336 on: June 29, 2014, 01:23:06 am »

I personally got used to it, experimenting now with non-square text tiles, they look so unusual :)

People were saying smaller font allows to see longer notifications.
dfhack screens can use full screen width - very helpful on labour management screen, on stocks screen (when it's fixed).
Trading screen is a big problem, I even made a patch to fix it on OS X.
What else?

Moridin920

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 29, 2014, 01:46:30 am »

I'm trying to optimise things but still it's rendering (not OpenGL I mean but from world to symbols) of up to 10 times more, depending on the size of visible area on lower levels.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear there's even any room for optimization, I figured it was just a function of rendering so many more things (like you said).

Is it possible to configure the amount of levels rendered? Could I tell it to render only say 3 levels beneath?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 29, 2014, 02:31:34 am »

Also on that page there is now first working build of multilevel rendering version. Copy shadows.png to data/art folder. Consider it beta - works, but no settings to configure rendering, no optimisations, and likely bugs. Doesn't load on Windows with r5 for some weird reason.
I can confirm that multilevel (3.11) isn't working on Windows 7, dfhack-r5.  Error message.

The big thing stopping me from using TwbT at all though is the incompatibility with stonesense and the always-on bit.  Compatibility would be great, but I'd settle for the ability to disable the plugin to avoid crashing. 
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #339 on: June 29, 2014, 02:45:34 am »

Also on that page there is now first working build of multilevel rendering version. Copy shadows.png to data/art folder. Consider it beta - works, but no settings to configure rendering, no optimisations, and likely bugs. Doesn't load on Windows with r5 for some weird reason.
I can confirm that multilevel (3.11) isn't working on Windows 7, dfhack-r5.  Error message.

I don't know what's wrong with it. It works with r5 on OS X, and this message doesn't seem to be about something I use explicitly in my code.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 29, 2014, 02:47:06 am »

That error shows up when it's for an outdated version of DFHack, last I checked.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 29, 2014, 02:53:23 am »

Can we please get a version with non-square text on the buildserver?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 29, 2014, 02:53:47 am »

It's kind of ironic that a multi-level view plagin is coming at us at the same time as the new release.

Anyway, great work here!
._.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 29, 2014, 04:03:48 am »

Anybody know what is the name of the font used in Mayday, Obisdian and Ironhand? Or the name of the tileset the letters were used from?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:15:13 am by fricy »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2014, 05:40:51 am »

Did you make these?  They're awesome! 

...I ask because there's a bunch of stuff that only comes up rarely, like a '#' in the dfhack comand-prompt, which could do with an absolutely-pure tileset in whatever font.  How hard would it be to do this?
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 184