Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 769572 times)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #345 on: June 29, 2014, 07:18:13 am »

Did you make these?  They're awesome!
...I ask because there's a bunch of stuff that only comes up rarely, like a '#' in the dfhack comand-prompt, which could do with an absolutely-pure tileset in whatever font.  How hard would it be to do this?

Just a little photoshop hack'n'slash.
Phoebus was pretty easy, jut copy/paste tiles from Bisasam_16x16. Spacefox on the other hand...I used ComicSans to substitute the missing letters, and it's butt-ugly when zoomed in. Anyway it's just a temporary solution, I was using a pure 16x16 tileset, but because of the dfhack popup bug, when the screen reverts to the text tileset, I decided to make these to make the two tilesets as similar as possible, so the artifacts are less jarring.
The long term solution will be pure text tileset, 12x16 or 10x16, I expect mifki to tell us which works better when finished with the coding.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 29, 2014, 07:18:58 am »

Tile overrides only show up on the current level, not on the additional levels visible with the plugin:
Spoiler: looking from above (click to show/hide)

Will this change in the future?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 29, 2014, 03:46:12 pm »

You really really should update the main post with a simple logical step by step tutorial of how to do this for various tilesets.
Reading through 23 pages just to figure out how to simply get clear text in phoebus isn't !!FUN!!  :P

1. Copy blahblah files.
2. Add to d_init.txt = blabla
3. Copy your favorite text tileset to blabla

edit: sorry im stupid, saw it :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:10:26 pm by Baleur »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 29, 2014, 04:53:32 pm »

Wow, this is awesome. A rather amusing side-effect of this plugin is that I can safely replace the '.' character with '!' in the menus to give a Jolly-Bastion-enabled Dwarf Fortress a maddening level of jolliness in all game text. I might try an all-caps, only-exclamation-point mod of JB for the menu text, heh heh...

EDIT: Now, imagine Billy Mays is reading every in-game menu.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:07:59 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2014, 05:32:50 pm »

Wow, this is awesome. A rather amusing side-effect of this plugin is that I can safely replace the '.' character with '!' in the menus to give a Jolly-Bastion-enabled Dwarf Fortress a maddening level of jolliness in all game text. I might try an all-caps, only-exclamation-point mod of JB for the menu text, heh heh...

EDIT: Now, imagine Billy Mays is reading every in-game menu.

All caps text, I can't believe I never thought of that.

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2014, 07:07:52 pm »

Anybody know what is the name of the font used in Mayday, Obisdian and Ironhand? Or the name of the tileset the letters were used from?

I would be eternally grateful if you'd do a Phoebus version for the Guybrush font (when selected in the Phoebus tileset assembler)
As i do it right now, i just use the Phoebus tileset assembler to make a .png with Full Clear Punctuation and Text, but the problem is that the numbers still have a background.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 04:43:53 am by Baleur »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 30, 2014, 09:39:16 am »

You should be able to get the subtype of items using a linear search so that people don't have to hardcode subtype overrides (you can crawl through what I believe is in C++ df::global::world.raws.itemdefs.foo or something like that for that)...

EDIT: Holy crap you're using items.other for organizational purposes? That makes things way cooler. You can give separate tiles to dead playable races specifically, display recently dropped items differently and show melt designated items differently. You can even differentiate between murdered corpses and non-murdered corpses, as well as anything edible by kobolds (BONECARN) or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 09:51:42 am by Putnam »

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 30, 2014, 11:09:15 am »

I would be eternally grateful if you'd do a Phoebus version for the Guybrush font (when selected in the Phoebus tileset assembler)
As i do it right now, i just use the Phoebus tileset assembler to make a .png with Full Clear Punctuation and Text, but the problem is that the numbers still have a background.

And I wasn't happy with the Spacefox text tileset, so here's a new one:

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 30, 2014, 08:30:04 pm »

Creature graphics are only working 1 z-level above the creature, above that they are just letters.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:19 pm »

Creature graphics are only working 1 z-level above the creature, above that they are just letters.
Will this change in the future?

I think so. I just forgot to account for "depth" when checking override conditions.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 30, 2014, 08:52:19 pm »

Those are item graphics, not creatures. and besides, thy work 1 level above, but not more.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:47 pm »

Just thinking about this - someone may want to write up a good guide for graphics people, who are all going to come back for the the new release.  It would be a shame to have them leave again without creating TwbT-compatible everything!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #358 on: June 30, 2014, 11:11:06 pm »

I hope we'll be able to attract some good artists - now that they don't have to fight tileset limitations. And also as mentioned before, in the version with separate tile sizes, there's no limitation to fit 80 tiles on screen, so larger tiles are possible which again gives artists more freedom. I'm going to implement nice map zooming that now won't affect text tiles.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 01, 2014, 01:11:35 am »

I'm going to implement nice map zooming that now won't affect text tiles.
How much more graphics improvements can one plugin hold???  Just, wow.  I look forward to it. 

In the meantime, I checked the r5, 3.12 version and it crashes to desktop just like 3.11 did.   :'(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 01:29:25 am by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 184