Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 768128 times)

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #765 on: August 31, 2014, 01:50:58 pm »

i'll post it here too because it didn't happen to me before and so it might be twbt related but in my current game after i load my save withint a couple of ingame days i get a crash. dwarf fortress has never crashed on me before.
I tested on mac with Peredixiserrant's settings, no crash here. I let it run until the end of the month.
I suspect the crash is more to do with the "phantom" siege on the map: right after loading I get an announcement that a siege has arrived, but no units arrive on the map. Since you haven't mentioned a siege, I think that's where the game is crashing for you.

ah sorry, i thought about also telling that but i didn't think it would've anything to do with it. those "phantom sieges" like you call it i get pretty often since the 40.x releases of DF. i get the announcement that a vile force has arrived (undead), they actually are on the map but as soon as you unpause the walk away. like i said, since DF 2014 i get this in every game i play but never had a crash.

did you test my save? like i said i used the new .dll files because i couldn't zoom in, maybe something introduced a crash correlating with these phantom sieges and with the new files. but the crash usually happends some minutes after this phantom siege.

Edit: ok i used a freshly extracted version of the starter pack 40.10 r3 and used the save file, no crash this far and i am further than i was before. atm i got my first migrant wave and the phantom siege happened as always, undead appearing...undead gone.

so the only things different from the standard version i use now and the one giving me those crashes are:
- the three .dll from twbt-nextgen-4.49-win/0.40.10-r1
- adding
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
  ... under ...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(one empty space between them
- me decreasing the population cap to 150  and the child cap to 50:1000 in the DF starter pack launcher (i didn't edit / change the strict_pop_cap as i read in some other thread)

i don't know what the problem is, i will try to add the new .dll in and look if these give me crashes, then adding they keybindings. my only problem now is that the game works again but i can't zoom in. i am using 1920 x 1080 and the dwarves and everything else is too small for me to really enjoy it -.-.

Edit: maybe i should also mention that i used soundsense before but as far as i know it only reads the gamelog, so it shouldn't be causing this crash....right? i used the newly extracted DF starter pack version, replaced the three .dll with the new ones regarding the twbt plugin and added the keybindings again, this time at the top row of the "generic dwarv mode" row and added "# zoom in function" as a comment (call me superstitous). so far no crash, but currently i am playing without soundsense.

Edit2: on an off-note, i just got another "phantom siege", ONE undead corpse appeared and then just vanished again. are sieges slightly bugged atm? with the 40.10 r1 starter pack i got no sieges for around 2 years and then over 100 undead corpses arrived at the end of the second year. currently in my DF-playthroughs its either too calm and then gets too brutal^^.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:52:04 pm by Xerberus »

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Masterwork Guide/Videos
« Reply #766 on: August 31, 2014, 02:46:40 pm »

I've experienced pretty reproducible crashes in the current version.  Playing in windowed mode it loads up not maximized, and if I load into the game without maximizing it first the game will crash.

The game also frequently crashes after saving.  The save process completes, thankfully, but it happens more times than not.  Reloading the game and loading in again works fine.

A few days ago I could reproduce a crash by using multilevel and rapidly changing Z-layers, but that seems to have been fixed.   

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: August 31, 2014, 03:41:10 pm »

Are you guys saying it is crashing because of twbt? If it constantly crashes like you said just delete the twbt.pluggin and set your printmode in the init.txt file to PRINT_MODE:2D instead of PRINT_MODE:STANDARD. It will make it so twbt isn't in use but to be more sure just delete it, then make a backup of your save file and let it run for a season till it saves and see if it still crashes. Then see if there is a errorlog, not just the dfhack error log. That way we can eliminate twbt for being the cause of the crash, it could be the cause but it could be dfhack or just dwarf fortress or user error. You may have to replace the resume pluggin and mousequery for that test.

The thing is, unfortunately, apart from Meph's set of custom graphics for items, so far nobody created any tileset/graphics to make use of twbt features to change graphics for buildings/items/tiletypes. With 0.40 it became even more important because at least trees sharing graphics with other objects look like shit. Yes, there are some issues with changing tiles for workshops, but I see a lack of artists interested in creating graphics for twbt in the first place. Once there are any, I'll find a way to change all workshop tiles as well.

:O Did you not see my custom made tool sets for spacefox, they aren't the best but they look like they fit some of the shops. I was to annoyed with seeing A or O or , or . or anything that wasn't a graphic. I need to switch the A to A though (in the twbt version I made it a farmers tool set, the text font will overwrite anything but any creatures that use that tile when they are dead or if they didn't have a graphic, or are caged) and have the farmers workshop override that if possible. Could really just make counter tops for the workshops if that is/ was supported. It's very easy to do after all.  made the bowyers shop have a customized bow graphic. It'd be nice to replace counter tops in those shops, that don't look like walls. Maybe even a floor tile.

I'm really just going to use phoebus mine cart tracks for the branches in the override.txt for now, once I get to it. Then I will probably make some sort of branch looking thing. So that normal minecart tracks will be the older spacefox version which look like mine cart/train tracks. I still haven't got into the meat of it because Arumba made me get into gal civ 2 again, and I'm to busy playing that atm to dive into twbt stuff. Also no ones commented on the damn water tile change or the up/down stair I made so I'm stuck (which is a twbt thing).. The overrides.txt looked confusing to me before but I'm pretty sure I understand it now. I just used mephs old twbt stuff that I found somewhere for now.

As for your work on the see through back background, it's probably best that you just require a certain color or w.e for it to show the tile behind. It isn't that to change some of the backgrounds to work with it, instead of you trying to make it work with all kinds of backgrounds. Like how it changed the color of the barrel in that image but made the top of the door see through. If you want to make a way for the animals in cages to use the graphic raws like they probably should be I'd love you <3. It shouldn't be hard for toady to do.. :'(

Trees are a little more difficult because there's so many images they use and for now the walls are alright, in spacefox at least. Might give them a rounder tile so they look like tree trunks. It still requires the starter pack to allow overwrites of the overrides.txt as you cannot expect new players to know this or look at information to figure out how to do it at least for the starter pack.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #768 on: August 31, 2014, 05:11:32 pm »

Thanks for all possible bug reports. I'm playing almost only on OS X, no crashes here, maybe it's something Windows-specific. I'll now run couple games on Windows trying to reproduce the crashes.

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 31, 2014, 05:27:22 pm »

Thanks for all possible bug reports. I'm playing almost only on OS X, no crashes here, maybe it's something Windows-specific. I'll now run couple games on Windows trying to reproduce the crashes.

after my last post i played about an hour further with my save and no crash. after i re-extracted the DF starter pack, copied in the new .dll files and added the keybindings (this time at another position) i had no other crash thankfully. but i had another phantom siege with one single undead unit appearing and then instantly disappearing from the map. like i said, i had those at several occassions and i don't know if this is a bug or duo to the new army movement feature this are just some troops that happen to walk through my area with no intent of actually attacking me. in my last fort before this (version 40.10 r1 starter pack i think) i had 2-3 phantom sieges and then a 100-undead siege which killed me. so sieges seem to work, just the phantom sieges are kinda irritating, they happen often quite early in the game and i get scared (hey, seven dwarves with no real setup against an invasion is scary).

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #770 on: August 31, 2014, 05:34:52 pm »

Well, crashes may be random - harder to reproduce and still need to be fixed...

Obviously twbt has nothing to do with sieges, but they're fun. Recently bunch of goblins appeared early in game, then a werebeast came and killed goblins, turned back into a dwarf and ran away. Everybody are happy.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: August 31, 2014, 05:58:20 pm »

I was getting consistent crashes trying to load a game with 4.49 but not 4.48, but 4.48 was ctd'ing at the end of manual saving. Removing the twbt plugin, overwriting the other two plugins twbt alters with stock dfhack versions, and commenting out the multilevel entries in the dfhack.ini removed all crashes. This is with 40.10 windows. I went back to playing for awhile so the crash logs have cleared. I may have time to reproduce it tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:15:21 pm by BigD145 »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #772 on: August 31, 2014, 06:11:45 pm »

I was getting consistent crashes trying to load a game with 4.49 but not 4.48, but 4.48 was ctd'ing at the end of manual saving. Removing the twbt plugin, overwriting the other two plugins twbt alters with stock dfhack versions, and commenting out the multilevel entries in the dfhack.ini removed all crashes. This is with 40.10. I went back to playing for awhile so the crash logs have cleared. I may have time to reproduce it tomorrow.

If you manage to reproduce crashes on game load again, can you upload the save?

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 31, 2014, 06:13:37 pm »

Well, crashes may be random - harder to reproduce and still need to be fixed...

Obviously twbt has nothing to do with sieges, but they're fun. Recently bunch of goblins appeared early in game, then a werebeast came and killed goblins, turned back into a dwarf and ran away. Everybody are happy.

well you had a goblin siege and a werebeast came, i had a bunch of goblin invaders in one of my last game and one of them was a werecat :D. it killed two goblin and bit two others.....so what is more FUN than a goblin siege and a werebeast? goblin invaders that are werebeasts :D.

another fun one was that i got an undead siege and a minute later an undead siege happened at the same time, they killed each other :D.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 31, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »

I've had a lot of reports of problems with 4.49 including apparently random crashes.  I'm going to re-release with 3.37, which I can still reliably crash by zooming out as far as possible.  I'm not sure what's causing the other crashes, but

Many of the complaints are coming from the changed zoom behaviour in 4.xx - people would find it much more intuitive to zoom the map, and have commands to resize the menu.  Switching that would help a lot. 

Someone creating a complete graphics set designed from the bottom up to work with TwbT would also be great, but I suspect that'll have to wait for Mike Mayday to get back. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Xerberus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:38 pm »

I've had a lot of reports of problems with 4.49 including apparently random crashes.  I'm going to re-release with 3.37, which I can still reliably crash by zooming out as far as possible.  I'm not sure what's causing the other crashes, but

Many of the complaints are coming from the changed zoom behaviour in 4.xx - people would find it much more intuitive to zoom the map, and have commands to resize the menu.  Switching that would help a lot. 

Someone creating a complete graphics set designed from the bottom up to work with TwbT would also be great, but I suspect that'll have to wait for Mike Mayday to get back.

well to be honest, zooming in with the current twbt plugin is kinda wonky, but i have high hopes that we will get there eventually :).

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #776 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12:06 pm »

Sure. As I said, I'll do more testing on Windows soon.

Also I'll check if it's possible to make the default df zoom bindings to zoom the map with twbt.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #777 on: August 31, 2014, 07:12:39 pm »

well to be honest, zooming in with the current twbt plugin is kinda wonky, but i have high hopes that we will get there eventually :).

What exactly do you mean?

BlueSteelAU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 31, 2014, 10:35:14 pm »

is there a way (sorry for being a noob) to report what zomn levels i have them set at and then set the default zoom levels for text and for tiles etc. so that i don't have to zoom manually each time I re-start DF

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #779 on: August 31, 2014, 10:48:39 pm »

is there a way (sorry for being a noob) to report what zomn levels i have them set at and then set the default zoom levels for text and for tiles etc. so that i don't have to zoom manually each time I re-start DF

You can add a line with "twbt tilesize <w> <h>" command to the dfhack.init script, it's only for map tiles though.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 184