Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763580 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:42 am »

I found two bugs:

1) Items being carried by dwarves do not use their override tiles.
2) When scrolling the screen, if an overridden tile would be (without the override) the same as the tile that was in that location before the view was moved the tile is not updated to use the override (AFAIK this only triggers if the tiles are the same color and everything)

Other than those two bugs this is very cool! I am working on a ASCII compatible tileset that is fully graphical by virtue of overrides, so far it is working well and the results are great :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2014, 10:41:22 am »

1. I believe items being carried are specifically excluded, but it should be possible to include them too, just never thought about them.

2. Unfortunately that's how it works (well, it's not bad actually, only for overrides) - if tile is the same, renderer's update_tile() isn't called because there's no need to redraw it, so I don't get a chance to apply overrides. Don't think anything can be done about this.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2014, 10:44:35 am »

Well 2 is really rare so it's not a big issue, but 1 is really annoying so having that fixed would be wonderful!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2014, 11:26:51 am »

But thats only for haulers, yes?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2014, 04:04:40 am »

Is there any way that the same concept of this utility for glyphs also be applied to color schemes? I.e., specifying overrides and zones where one color scheme is used in one place and another in another?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2014, 07:33:58 am »

Is there any way that the same concept of this utility for glyphs also be applied to color schemes? I.e., specifying overrides and zones where one color scheme is used in one place and another in another?

Should be possible, but can you explain why do you want this?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2014, 07:35:14 am »

Materials, maybe? Bronze sword gets different color than a steel sword, etc?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2014, 07:45:24 am »

But materials already have different colors that can be changed in raws, aren't they? The only thing is that I can use any colour not limited to df colour scheme. But GavJ mentioned some "zones" so maybe he meant something different.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2014, 08:28:11 am »

Oh, I didnt realize that the overlay tiles would already use the ingame colors, thats neat. :) But in that case, I dont know what hues could be used for.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2014, 02:43:56 am »

So that you can have more than 16 colors, of course.... (and more than 8 non contingent colors). Same exact concept as the glyphs?
You don't want mountains and animal traps to have to share the same tile, etc. Well, you might also not want walnut wood to look the same as maple wood either (which they don't at all). Without more than one color reasonably close to brown, you don't have that option.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:47:09 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2014, 10:11:34 am »

The colors in the raws are well-defined with exact RGB values, which is convenient.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2014, 05:26:46 pm »

So that you can have more than 16 colors, of course.... (and more than 8 non contingent colors). Same exact concept as the glyphs?
You don't want mountains and animal traps to have to share the same tile, etc. Well, you might also not want walnut wood to look the same as maple wood either (which they don't at all). Without more than one color reasonably close to brown, you don't have that option.

Yes, I can make more colours available to use in raws.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2014, 10:30:33 am »

The colors in the raws are well-defined with exact RGB values, which is convenient.
Yes, the game recognizes a bunch of colors, but it displays them in 16 buckets.  A wonderful tweak would be to display things according to the RGB values, but lots of things in the game have tile/item colors unrelated to the material colors they inherit from a template. For example, all stone of all types in vanilla is GRAY.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 10, 2014, 12:34:29 pm »

Yes, the game recognizes a bunch of colors, but it displays them in 16 buckets. 

[rant]
Shows the age of parts of the game code.   Thirty-three years ago, the CGA video card drew text with 16 foreground colors and 8 background colors, at 80 characters by 25 lines.  The EGA video card (thirty years ago) added the ability to have 16 background colors, and the VGA (twenty-seven years ago) let you choose any hue for your 16 colors.

Up to release 28.181.38f (in 2008), DF had a literal hardcoded 80x25 buffer organized exactly like the CGA did it, pairs of characters and colors in a 4000 byte array.  It then used modern OpenGL to render this ancient technology.

What's changed?  Well, we can customize the grid size now.  And, um, limited Truetype support on Windows.

This is a sad state of affairs.
[/rant]

mifki, thank you for writing this plugin.  peterix et al, thank you for the DFHack framework.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 184