Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763355 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2014, 01:49:42 pm »

IIRC, Toady began work on DF with a curses-like framework, which is what originally introduced the color and window size restrictions. dev_single makes a few references to additional colors (bloat 274 and 323), although I'm not sure if that's still accurate - it could be referring to the current raw-defined colors that don't do much.
What's changed?  Well, we can customize the grid size now.  And, um, limited Truetype support on Windows.
Truetype works on all platforms.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2014, 01:59:40 pm »

Bloats 274 and 323 are both actually in the game; they don't really suggest that there would be a wider range of displayed colors, just that it should be possible to (for 274) customize creature colors and (for 323) have raw-defined colors for materials, both of which have been around since 0.31.01 at the earliest I know of.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2014, 05:23:03 pm »

Looking again at the libgraphics sources, I want to remind (or tell those who doesn't know, like me until recently) that all rendering, viewscreen management, event loop and some other components are in there. Knowing exactly how it works, we can modify it. Of course it would be better if this library was separate on all platforms, not only on Linux (btw, why is it so?). But even now the game engine itself does't know anything about the screen buffer organisation,  maximum number or colours, etc. Viewscreens are just being told to resize, fed with events, their logic and rendering methods are called, and they render themselves with provided functions to draw tiles. So theoretically we can implement any rendering and some other things, it's just a question of having breakthrough ideas worth working on.

Anyway, the next plugin version will allow to use almost any number of configurable colours for fg/bg, and if you modify raws carefully, they will still be compatible with vanilla df because the original code uses the remainder of division, so you can use eg. 17,33,etc. for different colours that will all become just blue without the plugin.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2014, 03:16:59 am »

That's awesome (though I don't see myself using it -  I kind of like the 16 color limit; unless we'll get some dfhack plugin that shows more z-levels at some point). Will we be able to assign different tiles for everything at some point? Or are we limited to items and buildings currently available? Namely, I'm wondering if we'll be able to assign a different tile for the cursor and up/down-tilesstairs.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:23:28 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2014, 04:01:33 am »

Cursor is easy to do, I'll likely add an option for this.

Many other things are possibly too but I don't know yet how the configuration for this should look like because it's all different fields/flags in dfhack structures to check.

What are up/down-tiles?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2014, 07:35:40 am »

Up/Down tiles are ramps and edges of z-levels. They look like arrows pointing up or down. Ponds/River have them as well.

If you want something really difficult as a project, someone posted this mock-up in the suggestions thread for dfhack plugins:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(seeing that the url points to goblinart, I'd say that Mike Mayday himself did this. You can also see lots of up/down tiles on it. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2014, 07:56:41 am »

Source:  Mike Mayday's full graphics suggestion thread

The thread on depth by darkening may also be relevant, at which stage the Rendermax thread on multi-view rendering looks pretty similar and it might be worth getting Warmist on board for the ability to render arbitrary parts of the map. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2014, 08:04:06 am »

The thread on depth by darkening may also be relevant, at which stage the Rendermax thread on multi-view rendering looks pretty similar and it might be worth getting Warmist on board for the ability to render arbitrary parts of the map.
I almost implemented this stuff few times already, just to show that it's possible. But due to time constrains (and my attension span being similar to fruit fly's) it has not yet come to pass.

Edit: other than using the "Offscreen" module i been working on, it might be possible just fake it with changing viewscreen z coordinate asking for render, reading it and combining to some buffer (though each layer would effectively divide the gfps)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:07:13 am by Warmist »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2014, 08:35:04 am »

Up/Down tiles are ramps and edges of z-levels. They look like arrows pointing up or down. Ponds/River have them as well.

If you want something really difficult as a project, someone posted this mock-up in the suggestions thread for dfhack plugins:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(seeing that the url points to goblinart, I'd say that Mike Mayday himself did this. You can also see lots of up/down tiles on it. :)

Obviously I know what ramps are, just was confused that they weren't called just ramps :)

I saw this image and said in that thread that it looks great for outside but I personally don't see much benefits from it underground, compared to work required to implement and likely gfps degradation.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2014, 08:36:10 am »

Thanks, see some interesting suggestions there, plus have several ideas myself. Need to think and try some things now.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2014, 08:56:07 am »

Underground in the fortress probably not, but both on mountains/hills and caverns it would be a great improvement. People mostly embark on completely even ground, just because they can see everything at once. If 5 zlvls or so could be displayed like that, more people would embark on uneven maps... currently its way more difficult, because you easily miss dwarves, invaders and wildlife running around. Or you lose track of items in the countryside.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:58 am »

What are up/down-tiles?
I meant up-down-stairs, sorry.

EDIT:
And yeah, if you look at your fort underground, it has little to no benefit. But if your fortress entrance is in a valley, and for having a better overview of the surroundings, it would improve fortress mode massively, I think. Not to mention Adventure mode.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 10:25:35 am by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2014, 12:11:31 pm »

Could you make such a plugin automatically stop when the main screen has no Outside tiles? though this would mean it would not work with caverns. Alternatively, have the user set a level range on which they don't wish the plugin to do any rendering at all if the main screen is focused on these.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2014, 03:47:13 pm »

I saw this image and said in that thread that it looks great for outside but I personally don't see much benefits from it underground, compared to work required to implement and likely gfps degradation.
Personally in almost all my forts, there is no distinction between aboveground and belowground scenes. It's below ground on one side of a cliff face and above on the other, at the same z level.

If you're ENTIRELY underground, then the algorithm would only kick in for a few dozen tiles here and there maybe where there are open pits downward, yeah? Depending on when you're intervening in the core code, this might still require checking every tile, but then doing nothing after that. So if the aboveground version is at all playable, then the lag totally underground should be fairly trivial by comparison (IF the aboveground is playable! Which may turn out to be a tall order).

Alternatively there could just be a toggle button. Lots of times, even above ground you might not care what's below (maybe you have a perimeter wall on your z level anyway) and want to turn it off even then most of the time, until a siege hits or whatever.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:24 pm »

This is dwarfgasm material.  Ridiculously exciting.  I can't wait to play the DF that will be 3-4 months from now.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 184