Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763325 times)

Freak2121

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2014, 01:05:26 am »

HOLY CRAP. Will you have my children? You've just fixed two very glaring issues I had with Dwarf Fortress's visuals like they were nothing. TWBT and that are game changers, man.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2014, 01:21:32 am »

Awesome! Also, I'm not sure you do need any crazy special effects. Probably simply using a texture pack with more distinct up and down ramp symbols would make it much prettier. I think that is what made the mockup look good, not the fog.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2014, 02:06:28 am »

..... What.  The concept was posted less than 24 hours ago, and there's already a working plugin. 

This thread just turns up one day; casually fixes the biggest problem with tilesets.  And opens up the color gamut.  And special tiles for various things.  Then online play with tiles.  Then multilevel stuff.  And all that in less than a month! 

Mifki, wizard doesn't begin to describe how cool this is. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2014, 02:54:55 am »

Warmist mentioned earlier how it can be done, it's not difficult really. I'll try to add shadows like in the mockup (but not the fog).

Btw, as I thought (and again I believe Warmist may have tried something like this already), it seems to be possible to render certain screens along the main screen on bigger displays - eg. like divide screen into several areas/tiles and have main screen in the largest tile and some other screens in other tiles always visible. Or have separate windows with different screens maybe. Don't know if this may be useful for anything though.

Another semi-working idea - the grid doesn't have to be uniform across screens and even on one screen:

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2014, 03:06:37 am »

Maaan, this is progressing faster than my mind can comprehend alongside the normal DF development timescale.

A few suggestions for showing more z-levels:

-show z-levels below by default.
-make z-levels above toggle with a key; mode 1: off, mode 2: on, mode 3: (auto) off when the center of view is within range of a wall on this level, otherwise on. (what is "within range" might be best to set in an init file)
-always off when in a "cursor state" (placing a building, designating something, querying something, making a zone, etc)

It might be useful to auto change the current z-level when you're in "mode 2", but not the others.

I think this should work equally well in adventure mode.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2014, 03:25:43 am »

An absolutely neat thing would be to render mist whenever there's water (or magma!) below. I don't know how much of a hassle it'd be, though.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2014, 07:19:43 am »

Another semi-working idea - the grid doesn't have to be uniform across screens and even on one screen:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the main thing I've been hoping for out of this ordeal. Square tiles on the map, easily legible 8x12 in the menus and text viewers. If there's a practical way to do so, please, there'd be demand!

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2014, 07:44:55 am »

An absolutely neat thing would be to render mist whenever there's water (or magma!) below. I don't know how much of a hassle it'd be, though.
It would be way cooler to use existing mist/flow mechanics to spawn them. Maybe depending on temperature? That might include fog (non-evil), maybe some sort of lava particles shooting in close range (would make lava way more dangerous).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2014, 08:14:37 am »

I would like to vote against actual mist/magma-mist, because FPS hurt a lot from those.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2014, 09:34:23 am »

I would like to vote against actual mist/magma-mist, because FPS hurt a lot from those.
I noticed rendermax hit fps a fair bit.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:14 am »

I already said this, but i'm going to say it again.  This is absolutely beautiful. Do you have working plugins for any of these yet?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2014, 10:52:24 am »

That's amazing.  I've wanted that display in DF for years.  This is the first rendering hack I've seen that I'd actually want to use.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2014, 10:57:45 am »

Amazing indeed.

knaveightt

• Bay Watcher
  • "Safe Gambler"
    • View Profile