Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763435 times)

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2014, 02:08:47 pm »

Good lord mifki, you really are a wizard.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2014, 05:17:25 pm »

Wow, great stuff!  Can't wait to try it out.

adamantinespork

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:00 pm »

This is a feature I've been thinking about ever since I started playing DF. Very very cool that someone has finally done it.  :D One suggestion: make the ramps a slightly darker tone, maybe half way between the current and the lower zlevel.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »

Trying to integrate v2.01 into the starter pack, and it just crashes about a second after I launch DF - iff I've set up the second tileset in init.txt, it's fine but obviously nonfunctional otherwise.  Any ideas what might be causing this on Windows 8.1?  In every other way the build is identical to the current pack (r56).  I get the same problem on a windows 7 laptop - it takes a little longer to appear, but I'm pretty sure that's just the (big) performance gap.   
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:06:40 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2014, 08:15:56 pm »

Trying to integrate v2.01 into the starter pack, and it just crashes about a second after I launch DF - iff I've set up the second tileset in init.txt, it's fine but obviously nonfunctional otherwise.  Any ideas what might be causing this on Windows 8.1?  In every other way the build is identical to the current pack (r56).  I get the same problem on a windows 7 laptop - it takes a little longer to appear, but I'm pretty sure that's just the (big) performance gap.

It doesn't crash for me, but I can't investigate further right now, will do more tests later. And will add more error checks into the code.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2014, 09:19:57 pm »

Maaan, this is progressing faster than my mind can comprehend alongside the normal DF development timescale.

A few suggestions for showing more z-levels:

-show z-levels below by default.
-make z-levels above toggle with a key; mode 1: off, mode 2: on, mode 3: (auto) off when the center of view is within range of a wall on this level, otherwise on. (what is "within range" might be best to set in an init file)
-always off when in a "cursor state" (placing a building, designating something, querying something, making a zone, etc)

It might be useful to auto change the current z-level when you're in "mode 2", but not the others.

I think this should work equally well in adventure mode.

I actually wasn't planning to show z-levels above. I see some problems with it, and also such dynamic behaviour may be confusing for players. But maybe I'll try and see how it works.

This is the main thing I've been hoping for out of this ordeal. Square tiles on the map, easily legible 8x12 in the menus and text viewers. If there's a practical way to do so, please, there'd be demand!

There is quite a few limitations. I can only adjust width of entire column(s) of tiles, or height of entire row(s), including adjusting both for entire screen. So,
1. If the main tileset is 16x16, then menu font size on the main screen will also be x16, not x12
2. On screens that are text-only I can change to any tile size, but size of tiles making border around screen will change as well. That's not critical but not ideal.
3. On some screens it's not possible at all.
So I don't yet know what to do with this idea.

I already said this, but i'm going to say it again.  This is absolutely beautiful. Do you have working plugins for any of these yet?

There are some fixes and optimisations that have to be done before a public release. Btw, currently I didn't notice any impact on fps/gfps - likely  there is some, but I didn't notice. Oops, apparently there's impact on fps when large number of additional levels is rendered, trying to optimise..

I think in the first version it will look something like this (this was just a quick test, there are many rendering glitches):

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2014, 10:28:05 pm »

Looks amazing. So many people will want to embark on mountains with that. :)

1. If the main tileset is 16x16, then menu font size on the main screen will also be x16, not x12
Gettings the text to be non-square is quite important I think. If you are not using ttf for the text, many things in the menu will be cut off, from item names in the trade screen, over unit names, to reaction names. I really hope you find a way to use differently sized tiles for the text in menus. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2014, 10:32:41 pm »

Looks amazing. So many people will want to embark on mountains with that. :)

Seriously, mifki, this is game-changing stuff.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2014, 12:23:43 am »

Bear with me, just a quick test
I would love an option to create unicorns while playing DF in a photorealistic VR space, plus strong friendly AI. 
...here's hoping pics of a working plugin turn up later today, like all our other outrageous requests    ;D

More seriously, that looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to a release. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

SanderMarechal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2014, 01:32:24 am »

I have been trying to get this to work without any luck. I use https://github.com/andrewd18/df-lnp-installer on Debian Wheezy. I copied the r3 .so into the hack/plugins directory and made the changes in init.txt. However, when I start DF, dfhack says it couldn't load twbt.plug.so in red text. Any ideas?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:21 am »

I have been trying to get this to work without any luck. I use https://github.com/andrewd18/df-lnp-installer on Debian Wheezy. I copied the r3 .so into the hack/plugins directory and made the changes in init.txt. However, when I start DF, dfhack says it couldn't load twbt.plug.so in red text. Any ideas?

That .so is for OS X, no binary for Linux currently, sorry. I'll make it once the next version is ready.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2014, 08:42:36 am »

There is quite a few limitations. I can only adjust width of entire column(s) of tiles, or height of entire row(s), including adjusting both for entire screen. So,
2. On screens that are text-only I can change to any tile size, but size of tiles making border around screen will change as well. That's not critical but not ideal.

I understand. Didn't think it'd be so simple.

Even so, it could be useful. How about something like an 8x12 basic font, accompanied with a secondary 8x8 used only for the gameplay window itself?  A nice and square map ASCII set with a neatly kerned reading ASCII set for all the menus and text screens, including the stuff that's out of bounds. If I understood you right, that'd be viable, wouldn't it?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2014, 09:20:28 am »

I understand. Didn't think it'd be so simple.

Even so, it could be useful. How about something like an 8x12 basic font, accompanied with a secondary 8x8 used only for the gameplay window itself?  A nice and square map ASCII set with a neatly kerned reading ASCII set for all the menus and text screens, including the stuff that's out of bounds. If I understood you right, that'd be viable, wouldn't it?
He said that its currently not possible. See point 1. But its the same thing I requested/asked about earlier. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2014, 12:33:51 pm »

To clarify: the width of tiles in the sidebar can be different from the tiles in the main view, but the height has to remain the same. So a 12x12 tileset and an 8x12 font would work, but a 16x16 or 8x8 tileset and an 8x12 font wouldn't.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2014, 12:37:52 pm »

So we can have large tilesets, with thinner text-tilesets that portray more text before they get cut off. Got it. Perfect. :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 184