Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763385 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2014, 11:49:16 pm »

Also testing a new command to export full-size multi-level images...

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 19, 2014, 12:10:26 am »

Somewhat unrelated, but would it be feasible to read the world tile information like you're doing here but during embark? In order to show some sort of topography like that as a preview during embark? This would have a lot of possibilities. Also could do stuff like surface level only prospect findings from embark (or if you want a "cheat" a bit, full depth prospect findings), etc. if you can read tiles at that point in the game.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

jocke the beast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:16 am »

I'm more or less a technical retard and more or less still a newbie when it comes to DF but...even me can understand that *this* you're making will be absolutely awesome!
Thanks for doing *this* :)
Me: Come, Join me on my adventures!
Crossbowman: *spits at me* Surely any place is better than this, lets be off!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2014, 05:45:33 am »

Christ, this looks great.

I assume you will be able to the adjust the shadow between layers? Because I expect tilesets to adjust to this and make the downramps look darker.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 19, 2014, 06:16:24 am »

Somewhat unrelated, but would it be feasible to read the world tile information like you're doing here but during embark? In order to show some sort of topography like that as a preview during embark? This would have a lot of possibilities. Also could do stuff like surface level only prospect findings from embark (or if you want a "cheat" a bit, full depth prospect findings), etc. if you can read tiles at that point in the game.
If you're thinking of pre-embark prospect, that only reads the layers - the actual map isn't generated until the site is loaded for the first time (although it should be possible to display the map of a fortress being reclaimed).
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2014, 06:33:03 am »

Mifki, there has been an idea floating around for a while: a minimap. Using a 1x1-pixel tileset to get a tiny version of the current map you play on, and display it simultaniously in the lower right corner (or some other area where it fits well)

More info here.

Dont know if this is of interest, but since you are doing multiple tilesets already, maybe this is something that can be integrated. And your screenshots look very good, thats 10 zlevels on one screen, wow.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2014, 08:11:15 am »

Using a 1x1-pixel tileset to get a tiny version of the current map you play on, and display it simultaniously in the lower right corner

So, like a top-down isoworld? That would look nice. Certainly more useful than the current map.
(or some other area where it fits well)
Why not replace the current minimap?

What do you mean?
Each layer is surrounded by a small, soft, black outline. Can you switch that off?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #158 on: June 19, 2014, 08:15:31 am »

Why not replace the current minimap?
The current minimap is in a menu that automatically cuts off a large portion of the screen.

Before (old minimap)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After (new place for minimap)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2014, 08:18:29 am »

Each layer is surrounded by a small, soft, black outline. Can you switch that off?

Shadow texture is loaded from a file, so yes.
I was thinking about doing something with downramps instead of additional shadows, but obvious problem is that there may be no downramp at the edge.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2014, 08:22:38 am »

I don't know about the minimap. I'd expect its rendering to be very slow, but we can render it not every frame... Anyway I'm personally not very interested in the minimap, so it's not high priority thing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2014, 08:24:36 am »

Yeah, the multi-zlevel thing and overlays for more graphics is so much more interesting. I just thought I might bring it up, in case you just automagically add it within 24h, like the other suggestions. ;)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 19, 2014, 08:28:53 am »

The issues I can foresee adding the minimap below the menu is issues on small screens, and potential clashes from Falconne's Mousequery plugin.  Neither should be too bad, and a better map would be nice - but I'd rather get the other things in this thread!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 19, 2014, 08:30:32 am »

but obvious problem is that there may be no downramp at the edge.
Oh yeah, true. Didn't think of that. Guess I'll wait for a release and experiment a bit.

Mayama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 19, 2014, 08:55:51 am »

I was thinking about doing something with downramps instead of additional shadows, but obvious problem is that there may be no downramp at the edge.

What about only making the ramps slightly darker, cliffs would stand out and it would look smoother?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 184