Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763392 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #165 on: June 19, 2014, 11:52:13 am »

I was thinking about doing something with downramps instead of additional shadows, but obvious problem is that there may be no downramp at the edge.

What about only making the ramps slightly darker, cliffs would stand out and it would look smoother?
I think the idea mentioned above was to shade a down-ramp at the midpoint between the levels it joins.  Not sure exactly how that would look, but it sounds intuitive enough to convey the ramp's purpose.  (Edit: Hacking a gradient into the renderer is probably a bad idea from an FPS perspective.)

By the way, awesome work mifki!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:54:09 am by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 19, 2014, 01:41:04 pm »

Should probably open a separate thread on release of the multi-zlevel view plugin. It's big stuff. Seriously, the amount of tiny annoyance from not completely flat embarks adds up after a while. It's big news to pretty much everyone. Excited to see it happening.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 19, 2014, 02:28:55 pm »

I agree that this plugin can support multiple threads, but I also see the value in having a single "official" thread.

In any case, my sense is that the plug-in depends on DFHack but not on anything specific to v34.11... so once there is a DFHack for the next DF release, updating the plugin is a simple recompile, correct?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

jwpartain1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »

PTW

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 19, 2014, 03:25:27 pm »

In any case, my sense is that the plug-in depends on DFHack but not on anything specific to v34.11... so once there is a DFHack for the next DF release, updating the plugin is a simple recompile, correct?
Yes, assuming nothing (major) changes about the renderer.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #170 on: June 20, 2014, 04:18:53 am »

I was experimenting much with different ways to render shadows/rams/fog (even dynamic shadows that change depending on their position relative to point of view), and I agree that ramp rendering could be better. I like how it looks, but ramps (both up and down) are effectively belong to the lower level - creature can't stand on a downramp. So they should be rendered as such. But now I feel it's taking too long already and I will try to release it as soon as possible as is, then we'll see.

Multilevel and twbt will still be the single plugin (currently with twbt itself, overrides, multilevel and a command to save full map image) for performance and organisational reasons - they all hook the same renderer methods and share some code.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 20, 2014, 05:22:46 am »

I was experimenting much with different ways to render shadows/rams/fog (even dynamic shadows that change depending on their position relative to point of view), and I agree that ramp rendering could be better. I like how it looks, but ramps (both up and down) are effectively belong to the lower level - creature can't stand on a downramp. So they should be rendered as such. But now I feel it's taking too long already and I will try to release it as soon as possible as is, then we'll see.
That's probably the better solution anyway. Letting all the tileset guys play around with it will reveal what works and what doesn't faster anyway.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 20, 2014, 06:21:17 am »

Will you be updating the current plugin for DFHack r5, or leaving that for the next release (or later)?
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #174 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29:35 am »

That's probably the better solution anyway. Letting all the tileset guys play around with it will reveal what works and what doesn't faster anyway.

Yes, but they won't be able to change for example how I render ramps and where I render shadows.

If I render ramps as belonging to the bottom level (effectively not rendering downramps at all), it looks like this, but I don't like it much for some reason.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2014, 07:20:15 am »

If I render ramps as belonging to the bottom level (effectively not rendering downramps at all), it looks like this, but I don't like it much for some reason.
Yeah, I don't like it either. It looks wrong somehow. What if you render ramps as belonging to the top level (as seen in the original screenshots) but draw the shadow on top of the ramps?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2014, 07:25:28 am »

Can you make a version of this for DFHack r5?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2014, 07:35:05 am »

Will you be updating the current plugin for DFHack r5, or leaving that for the next release (or later)?
That said, what platform are you on? I can try building for OS X, although mifki will probably beat me to it. :)
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 20, 2014, 07:51:26 am »

Windows.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #179 on: June 20, 2014, 07:58:01 am »

That said, what platform are you on? I can try building for OS X, although mifki will probably beat me to it. :)

No need to build anything, just update -r3 to -r5 with any hex editor ;)
But I'll upload a new package soon myself. Done.
And yes, I hate to have to build things for several different platforms...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 184