Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763399 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #195 on: June 20, 2014, 10:44:35 pm »

Next step: make one for vanilla :I

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #196 on: June 20, 2014, 11:38:15 pm »

All vanilla weapons are included. The only thing that would be different ist the override.txt. Only the numbers for subtype change. I havent finished the override file yet.

Done with the weapons. Now I have to test them all ingame, and probably recolor a lot of them. They all come with a pre-set color, but of course ingame the material color gets added, so I have to bleach most of them. Otherwise they might look too dark.

Some of the last ones are pretty bad... orcish society weapon kits, that take 2 or 3 weapons together. Ingame with 16x16 you will probably not be able to recognize the tile.

The 'R' stands for ranged, I added that to weapons people would otherwise not assume to be ranged weapons, like the ivy whip or mage staff.

The 'T' stands for training. I should probably recolor those to light-brown, since training weapons are always wooden.

EDIT: Ingame screenshot. As I thought, they are a bit dark. The darkest ones on the picture are made of steel. The light ones are silver/mithril. Brown is bronze/wood. The icons are compressed into 16x16 on the screenshot... with a 24x24 tileset they would look much better.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: Multiple tilesets for different items do work. :) Here shields, buckler, round shield, kite shield, tower shield. In wood, mithril and steel. Also compressed to 16x16, shown with 200% zoom.

EDIT3: Last one for now. The actual tiles for the shields.

EDIT4: How are ballista bolts handled? Ballista ammo is a multi-tile object. And if multi-tile objects can be made, could this be used on creatures? You make 2 tiles for 1 creature. First tile is an overlay for the creature tile/sprite, while the second tile has a transparent background and goes above. Dwarves would only attack/hit the lower tile, and the upper tile would only be graphics... but it would be neat for megabeasts and other monsters. :)

Example:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 01:45:36 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2014, 02:09:39 am »

Tried again with the r5 binary, but it still crashes the whole game as soon as I try putting different tilesets in font and graphics_font.  :(
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #198 on: June 21, 2014, 02:45:20 am »

Tried again with the r5 binary, but it still crashes the whole game as soon as I try putting different tilesets in font and graphics_font.  :(

Do you have PRINT_MODE set to STANDARD or VBO?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 21, 2014, 03:25:10 am »

Now I feel like an idiot.  (maybe it could write an error message instead of crashing if the print mode is wrong, once it's feature-complete)

It's more-or-less working now, though there are some odd issues coming through occasionally:  here's some pics
 - any dfhack interaction or popup, such as dfstatus or the new command-prompt, sets the whole screen to text.  This then persists for some (mostly floor?) tiles until the view is moved several times.  A similar thing happened when I used embark-tools when embarking, but I didn't take any screenshots.
 - the pre-gen warning was half and half, for some strange reason

The interactions with dfhack are most problematic; since they're a lot worse for me than the readability of text and it's everywhere in the starter pack. 
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #200 on: June 21, 2014, 03:50:14 am »

For everyone who wants to use the weapon/ammo tilesets I made:

Spoiler:  Dark, No Background (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Light, No Background (click to show/hide)

I cant offer any overwrides.txt because it will depend on your installation and raws. You will have to do those yourself. To replace the first weapon in the raws with the first item in the new tileset, the syntax is [OVERRIDE:47:I:WEAPON:WEAPON:0:2:0]. Interesting is only the 0:2:0. The first 0 is the first weapon in your raws, the 2 is the tileset number (as this is the third tileset you have after graphics and font, it has the number 2), and the last number is the tilenumber in the new tileset.

To replace the fifth weapon in the raws with the second weapon of the new tileset, the code would be: [OVERRIDE:47:I:WEAPON:WEAPON:4:2:1]

Hope someone can use those. At some point I will make the vanilla version anyway, once I have finished all the items. This includes armors, shields, instruments, and so forth.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #201 on: June 21, 2014, 04:08:06 am »

The problem is that there's no way (at least that I'm aware of) to know whether the current view covers entire screen or no. I need to check for names of all non-fullscreen view classes and don't switch to text mode for them (dfstatus, load/save macro).

I will try to do that, but here comes another problem - dfstatus view is shown by a lua plugin and all such views share the same class, so if I don't switch to text mode for all of them, then fullscreen lua views (if they exist) will not be in text as well.

What other views apart from dfstatus not shown properly?

As for worldgen, again all these views (warning, parameters, worldgen with a map) are shown by the single view class and I didn't find a way to distinguish between them.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #202 on: June 21, 2014, 04:32:10 am »

Buildings.

I made a workshop, here the raws:
Code: [Select]
[BUILDING_WORKSHOP:TEXTWILLBETEXT]
[NAME:Workshop of Magical Testing]
[NAME_COLOR:7:0:1]
[BUILD_LABOR:ARCHITECT]
[BUILD_KEY:CUSTOM_X]
[DIM:4:3]
[BLOCK:1:0:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:2:0:0:0:0]
[BLOCK:3:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:0:1:224:224:32:32]
[TILE:0:2:224:224:32:32]
[TILE:0:3:32:32:32:32]
[COLOR:0:1:7:0:0:7:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:2:7:0:0:7:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:0:3:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:1:1:32:32:32:32]
[TILE:1:2:32:32:32:32]
[TILE:1:3:32:32:32:32]
[COLOR:1:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:1:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:1:3:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:2:1:32:32:32:32]
[TILE:2:2:32:32:32:32]
[TILE:2:3:32:32:32:32]
[COLOR:2:1:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:2:2:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[COLOR:2:3:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[TILE:3:1:53:54:55:56]
[TILE:3:2:69:70:71:72]
[TILE:3:3:85:86:87:88]
[COLOR:3:1:7:0:0:7:0:0:7:0:0:7:0:0]
[COLOR:3:2:7:0:0:7:0:0:7:0:0:7:0:0]
[COLOR:3:3:7:0:0:7:0:0:7:0:0:7:0:0]

Now, this workshop I want to use with this tileset:

As you can see, I copied the image of a demon skull thing into this tileset. The workshop above it made up of the 12 tiles that have this image, so the ingame workshop will look exactly like the demon skull on the picture. If I could overwrite a specific tile of the workshop with a specific overwrite tile. Could you please give one example in which you replace all tiles on one workshop with other tiles? It would help so much.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:34:48 am by Meph »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 21, 2014, 04:32:53 am »

Yeah, that makes sense.  I didn't try for an exhaustive list, so I just used dfstatus and also the 'do you want to enable workflow' popup (for a plugin that is usually fullscreen!).  Switching into text mode when a part-screen view is shown is fine, it's just when it persists over some areas of the map that it gets annoying. 

I would seriously consider just enforcing text mode for all of worldgen, embarking, and legends mode - tilesets are almost never designed with those in mind, so a pure ASCII view would make more sense there. 

@Meph - I look forward to the vanilla tiles :)
 Donations here.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 21, 2014, 04:34:41 am »

I think this could be way smarter if dfhack knew that this stuff was happening (e.g. when drawing text use different tiles) instead of crazy heuristics...
There is also focus string, that tries to identify window and there is a field in some viewscreens that identify which sub-screen it is.
In lua it's "dfhack.gui.getFocusString(viewscreen)" it should be similar in c++.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #205 on: June 21, 2014, 04:35:49 am »

I would seriously consider just enforcing text mode for all of worldgen, embarking, and legends mode - tilesets are almost never designed with those in mind, so a pure ASCII view would make more sense there.
I second that.

@Meph - I look forward to the vanilla tiles :)
Once I have something, I will make a new thread in the Tileset/Graphics section. :)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2014, 05:20:39 am »

Seconded. Using the text tileset for map tiles was my plan anyway. The tileset you'd use for text has enough tiles for world map tiles too anyway. From the top of my head, there aren't any tiles that are used both in text and the embark screen world map anyway (Okay, except for the 'X' cursor and the up arrow is also used for conifer forests but that's not really a problem).
For text, you only need all the letters (including those with diacritics), punctuation, arrows and tile #219 for borders. Am I missing tiles?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2014, 05:34:24 am »

Am I missing tiles?
Well, if you want to use the text-tileset for worldgen maps, you have a lot more. And it depends on the names of items. If a modder has a reaction name with '=, *, (), {}' in the name, then you need to have those of course.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 21, 2014, 05:42:25 am »

Am I missing tiles?
Well, if you want to use the text-tileset for worldgen maps, you have a lot more.
Yeah, just checked, there are some more that are used in text in vanilla. 'V', 'n', 'æ', '"' and probably some more that I missed.

And it depends on the names of items. If a modder has a reaction name with '=, *, (), {}' in the name, then you need to have those of course.
True.
Still, a more or less ASCII-like map isn't too bad of a compromise.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #209 on: June 21, 2014, 08:41:14 am »

Helmets, Armors, Pants, Shoes, Gloves, Shields... all done. Food, Instruments, Tools, Trap-comps and Toys still missing.

Preview: From top left to bottom right: Breastplate/Greaves/Gauntlets/Helm, Chainmail Set, Leather Set, Platemail Set, Set of Armok (special mod stuff from temples), Root Set (special mod stuff from Elves) with gnomish rocket boots, Clothing, different preview of hats (Hat Fortress, lol) with turban, head veil, hood, top hat, sombrero and chefs hat, and last part the succubus clothing. A mask, a corset, a thong and high(heeled) boots.

Again, three sets for people that want to use it:
Spoiler: Armor Items, dark (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Armor Items, light (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:09:55 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 184