Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763305 times)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #210 on: June 21, 2014, 08:49:00 am »

Now we can prove to the uninitiated that it is Dwarf Fortress that is the ultimate Hat Simulator.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #211 on: June 21, 2014, 09:18:26 am »

Well, you can add unlimited hats now. :P

Without the floor background it looks much, much clearer. I am using a 24x24 version btw, I upscaled the 16x16 graphics tileset.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:33:30 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 21, 2014, 09:31:57 am »

Very nice meph. Thank god I my work is a bit simpler with a symbolic tileset like CLA.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #213 on: June 21, 2014, 09:38:35 am »

Very nice meph. Thank god I my work is a bit simpler with a symbolic tileset like CLA.
Thats not even the issue.  ;)

Just take a look at these two numbers: Vanilla DF = 104 items. Masterwork DF = 1446 items. Thats whats slowing me down. My item_food file alone has almost twice as many entries as all vanilla items together.  :D

I opened this thread, that way I can stop spamming around in here.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:42:04 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 21, 2014, 09:53:14 am »

Vanilla DF = 104 items. Masterwork DF = 1446 items. Thats whats slowing me down. My item_food file alone has almost twice as many entries as all vanilla items together.  :D
Jesus Christ.

That reminds me, (probably a stupid question but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about dfhack and the raws) can we have separate graphics for a) the various Antmen castes and b) the various vermin creatures now?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 21, 2014, 09:54:26 am »

How did this went from text to Masterwork tilesets :S?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #216 on: June 21, 2014, 10:24:47 am »

1000 overrides as in: 1000 new tiles, or 1000 items that will be overwritten? Because the item number can be much, much higher than that. One siege with 100 units, 12 items on each body, thats already 1200 items on the map. Long lasting forts might have 100.000 items lying around.

It's a bit trickier.. First, it reprocesses only tiles changed on screen. When map is scrolled, all tiles change, but otherwise most tiles are unchanged.
Then it checks the original tile number and if there any overrides for it. Then it gets a list of all buildings/items with the specified ids and checks their coordinates to match that tile and their types. So it's faster if there are less items with particular id in game, or less overrides for particular tile, and so on.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #217 on: June 21, 2014, 10:26:04 am »

How did this went from text to Masterwork tilesets :S?
Mifki released two functionalities so far. 1. splitting between text and graphics. 2. overwriting specific tiles with custom tiles. I just made use of the latter.

Mifki, here a couple of questions that popped up while testing.
  • Ballista bolts. They are multi-tile. What happens to them?
  • The fake-multi-tile creature idea I posted before. Possible?
  • How to add override tiles to custom workshops?
  • How to add override tiles to vermin? (I assume VERMIN:VERMIN:number in raws)
  • To take up CLAs question: How to add caste specific override tiles to creatures? (this is a big one !!! Multi-race forts here we come.)
  • Can CORPSEPIECEs be further identified somehow? A tooth should get a different tile than an arm lying around, or a leg, or a head.
  • Can SKIN_TANNED be further identified somehow? Leather should look different from scale, or chitin, or shell.
  • Broken ammo and ashes use the same tile in vanilla DF. I couldnt find any references in item_type.h. Can these be separated somehow? It always bothered me that they look the same.
  • Up/Down-Stairs (the 'X' which is also text and bins)... can they be changed? I think this has been asked before, but I didnt see an answer. Guess its not that important, because you can override bins, use a text tileset for the 'x' and use a graphical tileset for stairs.

Sorry for such a wall of questions, but its exciting. So much can already be done. :)

So it's faster if there are less items with particular id in game, or less overrides for particular tile, and so on.
I havent noticed any issues. But I can spam a few thousand overridden items and have another go, see if anything changes.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #218 on: June 21, 2014, 10:30:36 am »

As you can see, I copied the image of a demon skull thing into this tileset. The workshop above it made up of the 12 tiles that have this image, so the ingame workshop will look exactly like the demon skull on the picture. If I could overwrite a specific tile of the workshop with a specific overwrite tile. Could you please give one example in which you replace all tiles on one workshop with other tiles? It would help so much.

Well, I don't know. I didn't try to override tiles for custom workshops. Will they all have building id WORKSHOP_CUSTOM? If you give all its tiles different numbers you can add overrides for them and this building id.. I was going to make overriding tiles in workshops easier (by x/y coords) later...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #219 on: June 21, 2014, 10:35:30 am »

You mean: [OVERRIDE:tilenumber:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:number in raws:tileset number:tilenumber in new set] ? I can give this a try. Actually, I will do that just now.

And I forgot the one and only, most important question of them all: Thinner text. Without TTF so many names are cut off, there must be a way to allow a square graphic tileset with a non-square text tileset.  :-\

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2014, 10:41:15 am »

Answer to most of your questions is I don't know :) I'll check about 1,6,7,8, but I don't know anything about creatures because they handled differently even in vanilla df.

Again, if map doesn't move, performance will not be affected. You can try to spawn large number of creatures that will move and cause tile updates.

You saw I experimented with different tilesizes for text and have some ideas for further experiments. But I really don't have much time and first need to finish what's already promised.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2014, 10:56:09 am »

No worries. Take your time. :)

I tested the workshops, it doesnt work atm. I used this code, which should fit to the raws/tileset I posted earlier. I guess custom workshop tiles do not work atm.:
Code: [Select]
[TILESET:Building.png:Building.png]

[OVERRIDE:53:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:53]
[OVERRIDE:54:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:54]
[OVERRIDE:55:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:55]
[OVERRIDE:56:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:56]
[OVERRIDE:69:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:69]
[OVERRIDE:70:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:70]
[OVERRIDE:71:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:71]
[OVERRIDE:72:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:72]
[OVERRIDE:85:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:85]
[OVERRIDE:86:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:86]
[OVERRIDE:87:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:87]
[OVERRIDE:88:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:0:4:88]

I also tried these three tags, none of which work.
Code: [Select]
[OVERRIDE:56:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_ANY:0:4:56]
[OVERRIDE:69:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:Workshop:0:4:69]
[OVERRIDE:85:B:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP:0:4:85]

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2014, 11:09:14 am »

you can override bins, use a text tileset for the 'x' and use a graphical tileset for stairs.
That's what I did.

Problem is, you're still left with the cursor having the same graphic as updown-stairs.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2014, 11:14:49 am »

Mh.. I always imagined up/down-stairs as circular stairs.

Spoiler: Like this (click to show/hide)

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2014, 11:22:10 am »

Mh.. I always imagined up/down-stairs as circular stairs.

Spoiler: Like this (click to show/hide)

I prefer them the other way since in cp437, up stairs are <, down stairs > and up-down are X - or ><, in other words, an up together with a down stair.
Similarly, I like to have my up-down stair graphic be more or less identical to the up stair graphic together with the down stair graphic. That wouldn't really work with circular stairs.

Anyway, this is getting a bit off-topic. Sorry for that.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 184