Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763324 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2014, 12:44:15 am »

Now you make a beautiful masterpiece of a pixelated bin on that top-left spot. It should be 16x16 pixels, because thats what both Phoebus and Obsidian use for their sets. If you make it larger or smaller, it will still work, but look blurry ingame.

But you can use a 24x24 tileset, and then avoid blurriness with 24x24 graphics tiles, right?
You can use a 24x24 pixel tileset, as long as its still 16x16 tiles. Yes. :) As long as the pixel dimension of the tilesets meet, nothing gets blurred.

Mifki: Thanks. :) If you want to copy/include it somewhere, feel free.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2014, 08:52:56 am »

Thanks mifki and Meph, I'm pretty sure that's what I did (though I copied some extra files as well), but I'll do it again on a clean LNP install when I get home.

When I saw source code, header files and a makefile in the TWBT archive, you had me worried for a minute there.

Edit: The plugin was doing its thing just fine, it was just scaling my 9x16 font into 16x16 cells so I didn't recognize it.  I'm also having a slapfight with my antivirus which keeps insisting that the Starter Pack Launcher and DFHack r5 are malware.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew? :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:36:23 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 27, 2014, 11:17:10 am »

@mifki: I'd like to inquire when can we expect a new version. Few days? I'm planning a new pack this weekend, should I wait for twbt, or do you need more time, and just go ahead?
What I need at this stage is an r5 version that does not crash with 2D print mode, so I could package Meph's override graphics, and the legacy graphics too. Other override features will be handy, but what we have now is very nice, and I'd like to release it before we have a DF2014.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #274 on: June 27, 2014, 11:23:08 am »

What I need at this stage is an r5 version that does not crash with 2D print mode
That will not be possible, except if Toady One changes all the graphic code.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 27, 2014, 11:31:35 am »

What I need at this stage is an r5 version that does not crash with 2D print mode
That will not be possible, except if Toady One changes all the graphic code.
I disagree until mifki tells me otherwise, although I can see why you misunderstood: what I meant is a simple check that stops the plugin gracefully with 2D printmode, and loads the plugin with STANDARD/etc. What we have now is a crash with 2D, and it's not good for me, because I can't mix the graphics modes in the same pack.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #276 on: June 27, 2014, 11:40:41 am »

Oh, sorry. I thought you mean run TwbT on 2D. Thats not possible, because the renderer needs opengl, same as Rendermax.

Changing printmode makes much more sense.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 27, 2014, 02:01:28 pm »

For me most anticipated feature is non-square text. Everything else pales in comparison. No matter how many bugs it will bring, totally worth it.
Just imagine - readable text in DF! Unbelievable.

mifki, please, include the code in the next release.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 27, 2014, 02:05:42 pm »

Include? The whole thing is wide open on github already.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 27, 2014, 02:58:24 pm »

Is the multi-z view on Github too?
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 27, 2014, 03:42:53 pm »

Include? The whole thing is wide open on github already.
Yep, missed the second branch, thanks for the tip

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #281 on: June 27, 2014, 06:58:36 pm »

Answering all questions:

I'm planning to add proper checks to the current (non-multilevel) version so that you can include it in packs.

There will be no support for non-square text in the near future, sorry. I don't know how to do that to achieve what you want. I have some ideas but first I need to finish with everything else.

Yes, source code is on github now, but I didn't announce this because it's in a very bad state right now, Windows version doesn't work at all yet. Once I have first working build, I'll announce that and you can test it.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 27, 2014, 11:45:50 pm »

There will be no support for non-square text in the near future, sorry. I don't know how to do that to achieve what you want.
Hmmm.
I was referring to this pic

The text in the lower screenshot is more readable because letters are not square (yet the tiles are square!).

Maybe not as good as 2D/Truetype, but much better than what we have now.
Comparison (press left/right)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:53:00 pm by falcn »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 28, 2014, 01:00:04 am »

The tiles aren't square. The text tiles in the above images are 16x16 top, 16x13 bottom.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

falcn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 28, 2014, 01:21:40 am »

The tiles aren't square. The text tiles in the above images are 16x16 top, 16x13 bottom.
That's what I said. Graphic tiles are square, text is not. Pic is taken from page 6
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 01:28:34 am by falcn »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 184