Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 770798 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #1215 on: October 13, 2014, 10:48:43 pm »

I just had a cool idea. It will require quite a bit of dedication, but we could modify raws a bit and then make appropriate engravings as pictures!

A quick mock-up:

Great idea!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 14, 2014, 12:04:00 am »

You think that the engraving can be identified? They can show anything in the descriptor file, plus an unlimited amount of procedually generated history.
The creatures are always their letters, and the other shapes have a tile. So you could have all humanoid creatures to have a human-like ASCII tile replacement, quadruped creatures a similar form etc, and then just shuffle ASCII tiles for other shapes and voila. It definitely works.

The procedurally generated history has the "main" image based on the main object which works the same way.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 14, 2014, 01:26:42 am »

I just had a cool idea. It will require quite a bit of dedication, but we could modify raws a bit and then make appropriate engravings as pictures!

A quick mock-up:

Oh lol, i secretly thought of the same thing. The problem of today is it won't properly work with floors, as tile overrides will hide your dwarves and animals even if you use graphic sprites

dwarves standing on stone floor are replaced by dimple cups, because i wanted to change "engraved image of dwarf with dwarves" tile

That's why i'm waiting for creature overrides
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 01:33:01 am by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Duerer TWBT tileset v.0.6.A

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1218 on: October 14, 2014, 01:52:11 am »

Oh lol, i secretly thought of the same thing. The problem of today is it won't properly work with floors, as tile overrides will hide your dwarves and animals even if you use graphic sprites

dwarves standing on stone floor are replaced by dimple cups, because i wanted to change "engraved image of dwarf with dwarves" tile

I didn't understand - is this some actual bug or just what you're thinking about?

int_ua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 14, 2014, 03:25:32 am »

For a moment I thought that it's showing containers with contents. Nevermind.

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 14, 2014, 06:29:15 am »

I didn't understand - is this some actual bug or just what you're thinking about?

pic shows smooth stone floor area with dwarves standing on it, while overrides contains this line
Code: [Select]
[OVERRIDE:1:T:StoneFloorSmooth:text:3]so tile 1 (dwarf) if found on smooth stone floor translates to tile 3. i don't consider it as a bug, i think it supposed to work this way. But, this situation limits my ability to override image of dwarves that may be engraved on smooth floor.

For example, i want to see image of heart instead of an image of dwarf on a floor. I'm coding new override as stated above and getting this:

my engraving now shows hearts, but dwarves became hearts too, although they have graphic sprites
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1221 on: October 14, 2014, 07:16:47 am »

Oh, got it. I can fix this easily I think, just make overrides not affect tiles with creatures.

However I didn't know you're trying to override engravings with current override system and was talking about providing some better way to handle engravings. Because currently it would require tons of overrides for all symbols possibly used in engravings and all possible floor and wall tile types, right? This is not elegant and may be quite slow.

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 14, 2014, 09:54:52 am »

Because currently it would require tons of overrides for all symbols possibly used in engravings and all possible floor and wall tile types, right? This is not elegant and may be quite slow.
We can already use ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO, or toggle it in game (which makes me wonder if it's really necessary to have yet more graphics for engravings). The easiest would be to tell TWBT that it should use the same object replacement coordinates, but from a different (set of) tileset(s).

So, you would have an override for a bag, and a table, and a sword, and they're pointing to a tileset called TWBTitems.png and TWBTweapons.png. That's for normal display in game.
Then you add only one line, something like [OVERRIDE:ENGRAVING:*_engraving] and when engravings are visible, TWBT will search for TWBTitems_engraving.png and TWBTweapons_engraving.png, and use those tilesets for overrides of engravings, displaying a bag, a table and a sword.
If engravings are set to invisible, it will just use the overrides for engraved walls and floors.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 14, 2014, 02:10:09 pm »

Oh, got it. I can fix this easily I think, just make overrides not affect tiles with creatures.

However I didn't know you're trying to override engravings with current override system and was talking about providing some better way to handle engravings. Because currently it would require tons of overrides for all symbols possibly used in engravings and all possible floor and wall tile types, right? This is not elegant and may be quite slow.
I actually thought of making tiles for all engraving "types" at least.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Guolin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 14, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »

As someone who loves the charm of the default ASCII graphics, I really love this plugin. I've always wanted my menu to be a smaller font than my map.

However, when I turn the graphics on, some disgusting sprites for my dwarves and animals replace the default tileset:

Can anyone help me figure out how to make it so that I can have a different tileset for my map while not having graphical sprites replace my tiles? I installed LNP from scratch only a couple of days ago, and here are my init.txt settings:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For the lazy, here are just the relevant tilesets options:

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 14, 2014, 05:40:23 pm »

It looks like you also have Graphics Sets in addition to tile sets.  Delete the contents of raws/graphics
You may need to regen the world for it to take effect, though.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 14, 2014, 05:41:48 pm »

there's an overrides.txt in data\init - probably that

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 14, 2014, 05:50:43 pm »

It looks like you also have Graphics Sets in addition to tile sets.  Delete the contents of raws/graphics
You may need to regen the world for it to take effect, though.
You don't, you can just delete those contents from the save folder as well.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1228 on: October 14, 2014, 05:54:47 pm »

@Guolin I'll check and make sure it works correctly if you set GRAPHICS:NO in init.txt

HaterSkater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 14, 2014, 06:01:07 pm »

@Guolin I'll check and make sure it works correctly if you set GRAPHICS:NO in init.txt
Wait, what? twbt shouldn't work when graphics set to NO. if that so it uses only text set for everything
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:12:53 pm by HaterSkater »
▲▲▲▲▲
;ÑÜ&,
.';,

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 184