Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 768596 times)

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #1515 on: February 28, 2015, 08:20:17 am »

Is it possible to use a larger picture to display the workshop?
For example, a 48x48 picture instead of 9 16x16 tiles. Maybe in the end it'll be come a 2D version of stonesense.

Yeah, but I'm already satisfied with current features.

a 48x48 image is 9 16x16 tiles.  If you put a 48x48 image on a grid of 16x16 tiles, you'll see it takes up 9 of them, and you don't have to do anything extra for it to work.  Take my avatar for instance.  It was designed as a single 128x128 image, but the Super Nintendo treats it as 256 8x8 tiles (Well, technically 143, since it doesn't count the blank tiles).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, could you elaborate on what you want changed, because I'm not following you.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: February 28, 2015, 08:45:50 am »

Ah forget it.

What I mean is instead of replace the tiles of a workshop one by one, you use a single image for the entire workshop.
For example, a still has two o tiles and two ~ tiles, but I don't want those parts to be identical.  If there a 3x3 area in the texture atlas, maybe I can write something like [OVERRIDE::B:STILL:::3:56:3x3]

Code: [Select]
÷═╕
o ~
~ o

Or maybe a more simple solution, just use the position instead of tile index. For example, the upper left tile is 0,0, and the lower right tile is 2,2.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 01, 2015, 07:51:04 am »

Oh I got another question: what are tile types for insect colonies? Currently they look exactly the same as wells.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1518 on: March 01, 2015, 08:30:54 am »

What I mean is instead of replace the tiles of a workshop one by one, you use a single image for the entire workshop.

I don't know yet what the configuration will look like when I implement multi tile building overrides properly.

Oh I got another question: what are tile types for insect colonies? Currently they look exactly the same as wells.

Vermin are stored separately from tiles/buildings/items (and units), so currently you can't override tiles for this type of things.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1519 on: March 03, 2015, 11:44:49 pm »

Not sure how all this will be configured though.

A brilliant idea came to my mind - there will be no configuration at all! I will hardcode all the buildings and items (+support for custom workshops, item subtypes, etc.) together with some of their variations. These combinations will have names and you will just provide separate images like

data/art/tiles/door.png
data/art/tiles/door-locked.png
data/art/tiles/chest-empty.png
data/art/tiles/chest-full.png
data/art/tiles/bed.png
data/art/tiles/bed-dorm.png

and so on. That's easier for me to develop and for you to customise/install (for example images may be of any size, you can just drop whatever image files you want, no need to squeeze them into a single tileset image).

And also, any of these files will possibly contain several images for animation. Here, some spinning doors:

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: March 04, 2015, 12:00:13 am »

Hmm. I might need to reorder PyLNP graphics code so we can have a default set, but overwrite the specific graphics pack... Minor change only.

Yep.  A simple fix to allow dirs as well as files, and avoid overwriting a file supplied by the graphics pack.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:10:03 am by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 04, 2015, 12:03:03 am »

Yeah, sounds good to me.
Does the tiles have to be 16x16 or we can still specify their size?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1522 on: March 04, 2015, 12:10:07 am »

Hmm. I might need to reorder PyLNP graphics code so we can have a default set, but overwrite the specific graphics pack... Minor change only.

For pylnp yes, but for example if someone makes a new image for a workshop (and once it's that easy I hope more people will create custom building graphics), they will just need to upload one or two files and you download to that folder. While currently it has to be a whole tileset plus overrides spec that you need to add to your overrides.txt

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1523 on: March 04, 2015, 12:36:12 am »

Yeah, sounds good to me.
Does the tiles have to be 16x16 or we can still specify their size?

Tiles have whatever size you zoom to.
For a 3x3 workshop you create an image of any square size, it will be automatically split into 9 pieces and resized to match your current tile size. If you provide a rectangular image instead, it will use its height to extract multiple square images and use them for animation.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1524 on: March 04, 2015, 05:37:39 pm »

Ouch, for workshops there still will have to be a separate configuration somewhere - which tiles you want to be transparent, and what colours to use for each tile.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 04, 2015, 11:36:29 pm »

Ouch, for workshops there still will have to be a separate configuration somewhere - which tiles you want to be transparent, and what colours to use for each tile.
Can you use alpha channels for transparency and multiple images per building?  Image 0 is colored as-is, image 1 is tinted by the first building material, image 2 is tinted by the second material, etc.  Keep that cool rectangular thing for animations.  Just puts a bit of work on the artist to make sure things layer properly... you just need to provide a deterministic order in which the images are layered.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 04, 2015, 11:55:23 pm »

there isn't /that/ many buildings that use multiple materials, though. Off the top of my head, it'd only be useful for blacksmith and wells

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:14 am »

there isn't /that/ many buildings that use multiple materials, though. Off the top of my head, it'd only be useful for blacksmith and wells
In vanilla, but I wouldn't want to make assumptions about mods.  In my particular mod the custom buildings are made from three blocks of the same material, but others' might be more complicated and like to see that reflected on the screen.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1528 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:45 am »

In vanilla, but I wouldn't want to make assumptions about mods.  In my particular mod the custom buildings are made from three blocks of the same material, but others' might be more complicated and like to see that reflected on the screen.

Well I was talking about a different thing. In vanilla buildings some of the tiles have fixed colours, some have material colours and some are transparent, right? There must be a way to specify this for custom graphics. On the other hand I don't want to lose the ability to just copy image of entire workshop and it will work without any any additional configuration.

UristWoodie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 05, 2015, 08:36:46 am »

I'm still waiting for the custom workshops. I did some work with it, but it's gathering dust right now.  Oh, and Toady mentioned workshop display in his latest Future of the Fort, which may impact this project.

Multiple materials will make it interesting..like the Dyers workshop (with a bucket of one material, and a barrel of another?) Soap makers, well, tanner (IIRC).

Waiting patiently. And eagerly. Thanks Mifki!
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 184