Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 762056 times)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #2175 on: March 15, 2017, 11:49:17 am »

it could be useful to make the game easier on the eye (and the mind).
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2176 on: March 15, 2017, 03:19:46 pm »

Is that a mockup or functional?

Functional, although not sure yet how much useful.
Stuff like this is usually not useful per. se. interesting/beautiful/pleasing etc...

Useful here = whether anyone is going to use it, for whatever reason.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: March 18, 2017, 08:49:14 pm »

Is that a mockup or functional?

Functional, although not sure yet how much useful.
Stuff like this is usually not useful per. se. interesting/beautiful/pleasing etc...

Useful here = whether anyone is going to use it, for whatever reason.

I find it wonderful.... the question is how it would look with other tilesets... and when can I watch my dwarves ride minecarts around my shooting gallery?
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 01, 2017, 10:08:15 am »

I've been experiencing issues that seem linked to TWBT. I'm using the latest PyLNP "stable" build, built around v43.03. It uses DFHack v0.43.03-r1 with TWBT v5.70.

Essentially, over time as a fortress grows, DF's save and load features become increasingly unreliable and prone to crashing. Someone (lethosor) identified a workaround for the save issues: DFHack's quicksave (as well as DF's regular autosaves) still works reliably even as normal saves crash instantly.

However, the load issues also creep up and eventually it reaches the point where loading a fort without crashing is almost impossible. Unlike the save crashes, which happen instantly, load crashes happen at the very end of the loading process.

I'm guessing it's related to TWBT because I can get things working again if I change the print mode to TWBT_LEGACY.

Now, I don't expect older versions to be maintained on a project that is being graciously offered for free. Rather, I'm posting for two reasons:

1-I'm hoping to find out if anything is known about such an issue, or if anyone has any ideas to mitigate it. I could likely keep the fort going by switching to TWBT_LEGACY or switching out of TWBT altogether, but I'm hoping to avoid that.
2-I was also pointed to this post. Is it still relevant, and is there any interest in having a look at the crash dumps? I don't know how much of a game-changer the move to 64-bit was and how relevant old issues still are going forward.

Update: After playing around with more things, it seems switching to a different graphics pack (in my specific tests, switching from Meph's Tileset to Phoebus) fixes the issues pretty much as surely as switching out of the TWBT print mode. This may not be a TWBT issue after all.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 05:06:38 pm by Nobak »

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: April 01, 2017, 05:46:06 pm »

DF's save and load features become increasingly unreliable and prone to crashing. Someone (lethosor) identified a workaround for the save issues: DFHack's quicksave (as well as DF's regular autosaves) still works reliably even as normal saves crash instantly.
D'you mean 'crash' or d'you mean 'freeze'? If the latter I recommend simply leaving the game & doing something else for a while: the freezes clear up (IME, currently) after 30-40min RT
switching from Meph's Tileset to Phoebus) fixes the issues pretty much as surely as switching out of the TWBT print mode. This may not be a TWBT issue after all.
Meph's tileset uses 24x24 tiles; Phoebus uses (IIRC) 16x16 tiles. I tried this swapout in my current fort & it did improve the framerate by a lot.. shame; I miss the detail Meph put into his set (but not the lack of some tiles) :(

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 01, 2017, 11:07:58 pm »

DF's save and load features become increasingly unreliable and prone to crashing. Someone (lethosor) identified a workaround for the save issues: DFHack's quicksave (as well as DF's regular autosaves) still works reliably even as normal saves crash instantly.
D'you mean 'crash' or d'you mean 'freeze'? If the latter I recommend simply leaving the game & doing something else for a while: the freezes clear up (IME, currently) after 30-40min RT
switching from Meph's Tileset to Phoebus) fixes the issues pretty much as surely as switching out of the TWBT print mode. This may not be a TWBT issue after all.
Meph's tileset uses 24x24 tiles; Phoebus uses (IIRC) 16x16 tiles. I tried this swapout in my current fort & it did improve the framerate by a lot.. shame; I miss the detail Meph put into his set (but not the lack of some tiles) :(

I did mean crash. "Dwarf Fortress has stopped running" and all that.

The good news is, it turns out updating the tileset from v1.1 to v1.3 solved my problem. This confirms it was not an issue with TWBT.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2181 on: April 01, 2017, 11:08:55 pm »

2-I was also pointed to this post. Is it still relevant, and is there any interest in having a look at the crash dumps? I don't know how much of a game-changer the move to 64-bit was and how relevant old issues still are going forward.

Sure, honestly I don't think I'll see anything useful for this particular issue in crash dump, but I'm always willing to take a look when there's a chance it's a bug in TWBT.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: April 02, 2017, 09:46:24 am »

I also don't think there will be anything to be found, but you seem to think it's at least possible, so I went ahead and uploaded one.
I played a bunch yesterday and am now having the issue again with the new tileset version.

I'm starting to think I'm just reaching a critical mass of something (whatever it is) which causes a crash, and the combination of that tileset and TWBT print mode is just the "heaviest" settings I've used so it triggers the problems first.

One extra thing I've noticed is when the problem begins to crop up, rebooting my PC and running DF without doing anything else beforehand seems to help for a while, then eventually that no longer works.

Crash dump is there: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12804

Update: The fort has reached the point where loading will also crash using the Phoebus tileset in TWBT mode. It works correctly in TWBT_LEGACY or 2D.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:32:48 pm by Nobak »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2183 on: April 03, 2017, 10:35:09 pm »

I also don't think there will be anything to be found, but you seem to think it's at least possible, so I went ahead and uploaded one.
I played a bunch yesterday and am now having the issue again with the new tileset version.

I'm starting to think I'm just reaching a critical mass of something (whatever it is) which causes a crash, and the combination of that tileset and TWBT print mode is just the "heaviest" settings I've used so it triggers the problems first.

One extra thing I've noticed is when the problem begins to crop up, rebooting my PC and running DF without doing anything else beforehand seems to help for a while, then eventually that no longer works.

Crash dump is there: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12804

Update: The fort has reached the point where loading will also crash using the Phoebus tileset in TWBT mode. It works correctly in TWBT_LEGACY or 2D.

What about STANDARD mode? 2D isn't quite correct comparison.
Can you upload your save or share privately with me? I don't see how TWBT can affect loading, but if it looks like it does, I can try to investigate.

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: April 04, 2017, 09:40:56 pm »

Can you upload your save or share privately with me? I don't see how TWBT can affect loading, but if it looks like it does, I can try to investigate.

Of course, I go back to TWBT to see how it goes and it loads on the second try.
Previous experience suggests it'll happen again, I'll upload a save then.

I haven't had a chance to try Standard print mode, I'll be sure to take a look.

I'm not sure what sharing a save involves, though. Just zip the save's folder and upload that? Because there seems to be graphics stuff in them or something. The first time I switched out of Meph's tileset, I had an error that I was able to resolve thanks to this post, and I figure whatever artifacts caused the error are still in the save and would cause a problem if shared.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2185 on: April 04, 2017, 09:56:21 pm »

Of course, I go back to TWBT to see how it goes and it loads on the second try.
Previous experience suggests it'll happen again, I'll upload a save then.

I haven't had a chance to try Standard print mode, I'll be sure to take a look.

I'm not sure what sharing a save involves, though. Just zip the save's folder and upload that? Because there seems to be graphics stuff in them or something. The first time I switched out of Meph's tileset, I had an error that I was able to resolve thanks to this post, and I figure whatever artifacts caused the error are still in the save and would cause a problem if shared.

Yes, just the save folder is fine. Upload to DFFD or https://www.dropbox.com/request/1kBSSkNi46HiL5Ig2GKc

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: April 08, 2017, 04:10:37 pm »

I've got a save that seems to crash reliably. Strangely, it's very early in the fort, less than one year in. The only thing different about this one is a small chunk of the map is ocean, and I have a lot of squares marked for future channeling.

Loading the save in TWBT mode has crashed 12 to 14 times in a row (with a reboot partway through since that sometimes helps). Meanwhile, it has a load success rate of 1 for 1 in each of TWBT_LEGACY, 2D and STANDARD modes.

It may be worth noting that the game also flat-out crashed mid-play not long after this save happened.

I guess I have compressed saves off so the save's pretty large even after zipping.

Save is there
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 04:12:18 pm by Nobak »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2187 on: April 08, 2017, 09:28:13 pm »

???
I've got a save that seems to crash reliably. Strangely, it's very early in the fort, less than one year in. The only thing different about this one is a small chunk of the map is ocean, and I have a lot of squares marked for future channeling.

Thanks. And I should use it with the latest Meph tileset, right?

Nobak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: April 08, 2017, 10:23:20 pm »

???

Thanks. And I should use it with the latest Meph tileset, right?

As it stands, I'm using the Phoebus tileset (not sure what version, but it came with PyLNP 0.43.03-r09), altered as described in jecowa's post that I linked.
I applied the fix when I was using Meph v1.1, so I copied files from that version.

It does seem to crash with Meph's tileset v.1.3 as well, though.

Edit: I figured it might be simpler to just include the graphics in the zip, so I went ahead and re-uploaded the file in case it helps. If that was unnecessary, feel free to ignore it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 11:04:08 pm by Nobak »

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 09, 2017, 04:07:51 am »

OK this is probably a *really* stupid question, but I didn't see the answer on the first page or on the readme: how do I actually install this?

I run 43.05 on linux with 0.43.05-beta1 with Spacefox_16x16_0ther.png tileset. I did the following:

- download v5.77 from https://github.com/mifki/df-twbt/releases
- unzip to a temporary folder somewhere
- copy the .plug.so files from the 0.43.05-beta1 folder to df_linux/plugins
- copy shadows.png to data/art

I ran dfhack but the fonts still look weird and none of the plugins (twbt, multilevel) are available or could be loaded.

DFHack version 0.43.05-beta1 (release) on x86_64
[DFHack]# twbt
twbt is not a recognized command.
Run 'help' or '?' for the list of available commands.
[DFHack]# load twbt
Plugin does not exist: twbt
[DFHack]# multilevel
multilevel is not a recognized command.

Again, sorry for the obviously stupid question, but I didn't really find installation instructions anywhere... (and I don't think there's an LNP for .43.05 linux yet, right?)
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 184