Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 767159 times)

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #2250 on: September 20, 2017, 09:06:58 am »

I've merged Next branch into master and added a check for transparent1px.png and white1px.png files, version 6.21 is available.

Clyybber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: September 23, 2017, 05:25:17 am »

Any progress on getting oblique view working?

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: October 03, 2017, 09:36:36 pm »

I just started fiddling around with tilesets, and I've found that the world map on the embark screen uses my text font rather than my graphics font. Is this inevitable, or is there a setting somewhere I can fix that with?
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2253 on: October 03, 2017, 11:16:56 pm »

I just started fiddling around with tilesets, and I've found that the world map on the embark screen uses my text font rather than my graphics font. Is this inevitable, or is there a setting somewhere I can fix that with?

That's how it is at the moment.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: October 07, 2017, 03:55:07 am »

I've installed a lot of mods over the years, for Dwarf Fortress and many other games. And while I have seen a number of mods that lacked a readme, it's not often that I see a mod with a readme that does not specify how to install it.

More important than specifying why the mod was written, more important than detailing all the features, even more important than specifying what a mod does and what it is for, is how to actually use (i.e., install) it. This forum topic also lacks install instructions. The OP does say, "See readme for all details" and I find that rather ironic, considering...

Don't get me wrong, I love TwbT! It's amazing! I have deep respect for the effort and ingenuity it took to make this. But it would have be greatly appreciated if we were walked through how to install it. Not all of us are DFhack wizards who know intuitively how to use these files.

What I've been able to learn through trial and error (and examining TwbT-based graphics sets) is the following:
  • This is not mentioned anywhere, but I believe that recent releases of TwbT are 64-bit only. I tried installing recent releases for 32-bit DFhack 0.43.05-r2, but the DFhack console always gives me the "Can't load plugin twbt" error and won't run. Though, I can get it to work for 64-bit DF/DFhack.
  • The most important thing is to copy the twbt.plug.dll file into your /hack/plugins/ folder, making sure that you have the right version for your DF and DFhack. The download will have a folder with a name like "0.43.05-r2", which is the version of DFHack it was compiled for.
  • Copy the .png images from the download's root folder into your /data/art/ folder. Actually, I do not believe that TwbT-based graphics sets like Dungeon Set or Meph Tileset use most of these .png files. However, recent TwbT releases do require transparent1px.png and white1px.png or it refuses to run, so those two are absolutely necessary.
  • The readme does explain: "In your init.txt set FONT and FULLFONT to the font you want to use for text, and GRAPHICS_FONT and GRAPHICS_FULLFONT to the font for map tiles." That said, TwbT-based sets like Dungeon Set and Meph Tileset include a custom init.txt file, so that's normally not an issue if you use them.
  • The readme does explain how the TwbT Override commands are used and says that these "are to be placed in data/init/overrides.txt file". But, again, TwbT-based sets include a custom overrides.txt, so it should be a non-issue if you're using TwbT with one. This means that if you copy over the overrides.txt from your graphics set with the one inside the TwbT download, it will completely fail to work! For this reason, it is wise to install TwbT first, then your TwbT-based graphics set.
  • If you want to take advantage of TwbT's elevation feature (and I suspect that's most of us), then you will need to specify something like "multilevel 10" in a dfhack.init file in your DF root folder.
  • Note: If installing your TwbT-based graphics set involves changing anything in your /raw/ folder and/or subfolders (such as /objects/) and you are continuing an existing save, then you will need to remember to make the same changes to the /raw/ folder and/or subfolders inside your saved games. Dungeon Set and Meph Tileset both does this. AFAIK, most graphics sets do change /objects/, such as the tiles used for creatures, so this affects almost everyone. In my case, since I'm also using Meph's Seasonal colors addon, I also had several "colors" files in the root /raw/ folder to copy over. (At first, I was confused why the tileset was not displaying the colors like it did in earlier versions. Also, I needed "season-palette start" in my dfhack.init file.)
I have no idea what to do with the realcolors.lua file. I recognize that it is a DFhack script. But I suspect that it is entirely optional and potentially useful to those making their own custom TwbT graphics set. At least, I can get Meph Tileset v1.4 to work in 64-bit DFhack 0.43.05-r2 just fine without this script.

I've merged Next branch into master and added a check for transparent1px.png and white1px.png files, version 6.21 is available.

You have my respect for continuing development of this amazing plugin. But why was the check for transparent1px.png and white1px.png files needed? Will the plugin not function without those, no matter how a graphics set uses the TwbT plugin?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:57:45 am by Thundercraft »

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2255 on: October 07, 2017, 05:30:58 am »

You have my respect for continuing development of this amazing plugin. But why was the check for transparent1px.png and white1px.png files needed? Will the plugin not function without those, no matter how a graphics set uses the TwbT plugin?

Yes, they are required in most cases due to the way how rendering works now. And unfortunately they have to be separate image files (i.e. I can't generate them in memory) because they have to be loaded by the same DF internal functions that load all other tileset files.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: October 07, 2017, 08:44:49 am »

BTW: I'm fairly certain that there is something about the way TwbT works which makes it impossible to screen capture Dwarf Fortress when in fullscreen (non-windowed) mode. At least, I know this happens with Meph Tileset when fullscreen. (I can screen capture when in windowed mode, though. I just have to edit the init.txt file and change [WINDOWED:NO] to [WINDOWED:YES].) I even tried using a screen capture program to grab the DF screen with Meph Tileset when fullscreen and it could only grab whatever was underneath the window. (Well... I did try capturing the window itself, but that only captured a blank window with a tiny rectangle in the corner.)

Am I correct in believing this to be the fault of the plugin? If so, should this be considered either a bug, a known issue, or intentional? If this is an issue, are there plans to look into it?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: October 07, 2017, 08:49:27 am »

It'd probably help if you mentioned what screen capture utility you are using?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: October 07, 2017, 09:07:53 am »

It'd probably help if you mentioned what screen capture utility you are using?

The specific screen capture utility I tried was Greenshot. However, you seem to be misunderstanding:
  • Dwarf Fortress has a built-in capability for screen capture. See the wiki article: Screenshot. As a test, I installed plain vanilla Dwarf Fortress fresh from the download and tried both [Print Screen] and [Alt] + [Print Screen], pasting the clipboard into Paint.Net. It works just fine, regardless, whether I have DF as Windowed or Fullscreen. The only time this did not work for me was when I was using Meph Tileset in Fullscreen mode.
  • I also tried Greenshot, in desperation. Not even that would work with Meph Tilset installed and in Fullscreen. Maybe there is a screen capture utility out there, somewhere, that can capture DF with TwbT running in Fullscreen, but I doubt it. Regardless, no screen capture utility should be needed since DF already supports screen capture.
Edit:

This is what Greenshot captured when I chose the "Capture window from list" option when I left DF + Meph Tileset in fullscreen, running in the background. (Click thumbnail for larger image.):

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:20:45 am by Thundercraft »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: October 07, 2017, 10:10:15 am »

As the wiki article suggests by being OS-specific, that's not built-in to dwarf fortress but windows default hotkey to a sreenshotting program (idk the name, it's been a while since I've used windows).

DF does have in-built recording capability, though. Does this work? (Not that it working would fix the issue.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:12:07 am by Fleeting Frames »

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: October 07, 2017, 10:52:50 am »

DF does have in-built recording capability, though. Does this work? (Not that it working would fix the issue.)

I tried recording a CMV and playing the result. However, aside from the screen flashing a lot, the left-most panel - the one that displays the Meph Tileset - is a blank field of black. I then use the CMV Movie Editor to watch the CMV. It was the same, except without the flashing.

Actually, I get the same result (field of black in left-most panel) when I record a CMV with Meph Tileset in Windowed mode.

Then I read this on the wiki in the Utility:Dwarf Fortress Map Archive article, under the "Uploading a movie" heading:
1. If you have a graphic tileset enabled, disable it. Unlike .FDF-MAPs, the CMV movie format will not play nice with these, and will cause all sorts of strange output.

Since that's the case, now I'm wondering whether or not screen capture in Fullscreen will work with any graphics set, regardless of whether it uses TwbT...

Edit:
On thinking about this further, I recall how graphics sets modify a whole bunch of files in the /raw/objects/ folder, mostly to change the Tile for creatures and plants and such. Perhaps, when it does this, it changes all tiles to black so that the usual tile display method does not interfere with displaying the graphics set? Maybe that's why CMV movies won't record right with a graphics set?

Still, it seems strange that pressing [Print Screen] will capture the screen just fine in Windowed mode, but not in Fullscreen mode. I'd be nice if someone would test this out in Dungeon Set and some other graphics set so we can determine whether this is a TwbT issue, a Meph Tileset issue, or if it affects all graphics sets equally.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:07:39 am by Thundercraft »

Breinhardte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: November 13, 2017, 05:22:07 pm »

Having a lot of instability issues running TWBT + GemSet on 43.05 (Windows 10), Hard crash-to-desktop is very common.
Is there some kind of error log I can check when it crashes?

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2262 on: November 13, 2017, 06:01:52 pm »

Having a lot of instability issues running TWBT + GemSet on 43.05 (Windows 10), Hard crash-to-desktop is very common.
Is there some kind of error log I can check when it crashes?

Here's how to enable crash dumps (I hope it still works on 10): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg5624349#msg5624349

What's the TWBT version?

Breinhardte

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: November 13, 2017, 07:56:02 pm »

Here's how to enable crash dumps (I hope it still works on 10): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138754.msg5624349#msg5624349

What's the TWBT version?

Thanks!
TWBT, the latest version (I think) 6.21.

cltail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: November 15, 2017, 08:57:50 pm »

I have been having an issue with the newest version of TWBT, Specifically whenever I leave the status screen, the main veiwport is completely black.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

if you go into a separate menu or otherwise cause a reload of the screen it is fixed, but it is just far too annoying to deal with.

Edit: I had to restart my computer due to a nasty bug in another game, and it turns out that fixed my issue, which is odd because older versions of TWBT still worked fine.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:37:11 am by cltail »
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 184