Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 184

Author Topic: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin  (Read 763604 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Text Will Be Text - dfhack plugin
« Reply #2355 on: January 02, 2018, 01:24:41 am »

Obsidian Soul too. He did some mock-ups long ago...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Did first tests with the -top and -bg files for creatures and workshops. It's amazing, thank you so much. :)

From my point of view, it adds three major improvements for the player/artist.
 - Workshops can blend in better.
 - Workshops can slightly alter otherwise identical tiles, by using different colors, mostly in the Dyers shop.
 - Creatures blend in better, especially small ones. Now it's perfectly fine to make creatures that are only a few pixels large, since you don't have to cover that much boring background up.

Spoiler: Dyer and magma forges (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Creature transparency (click to show/hide)

Edit: I just opened a test-fort and had a creature-graphics.png without any -bg file for it.... and the transparency still works. I just made the normal creature file transparent, without a background.

Seems that the -bg file is unnecessary for creatures. Just to put that out there. Would be nice of a second person to confirm. :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 05:09:26 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: January 04, 2018, 05:30:36 pm »

I've only been using a single PNG with alpha transparency for creature transparency.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2357 on: January 04, 2018, 05:51:11 pm »

C'mon guys I mentioned this above:

Creatures don't require -bg because there's no easy way for me to implement loading of such files, so for now creatures just won't show bg colour. That's why unit transparency is disabled by default [until we confirm bg colour is not important].

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: January 04, 2018, 07:28:02 pm »

I haven't noticed anything weird with the background color. But creatures don't usually use "add color" in the type of packs that would want to use creature transparency. Most of the "add color" graphics pack are going to be more ASCII-style packs that have mostly "black" floors.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2359 on: January 04, 2018, 07:48:31 pm »

I haven't noticed anything weird with the background color. But creatures don't usually use "add color" in the type of packs that would want to use creature transparency. Most of the "add color" graphics pack are going to be more ASCII-style packs that have mostly "black" floors.

Thanks, I thought about that too, it's all good then I hope.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: January 04, 2018, 07:49:35 pm »

I see why it's disabled by default:

Tergel 16x with unit transparency enabled.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2361 on: January 05, 2018, 01:53:06 am »

C'mon guys I mentioned this above:

Creatures don't require -bg because there's no easy way for me to implement loading of such files, so for now creatures just won't show bg colour. That's why unit transparency is disabled by default [until we confirm bg colour is not important].
Sorry, my mistake.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: January 05, 2018, 07:19:58 am »

I was considering optimizing tilesheets before making transparency versions of them. Do you think tilesheets like this waste VRAM?
Spoiler: nwkohaku birds (click to show/hide)
Or maybe it only loads the parts that have graphics defined for them?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: January 05, 2018, 07:21:18 am »

Unless extra work is done while loading, which I do with Armok Vision, and is very slow, they do, yes.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2364 on: January 05, 2018, 07:33:27 am »

Or maybe it only loads the parts that have graphics defined for them?

No, DF load function just loads all the tiles, it doesn't know at that moment which of them will be used. I mentioned this before but for map and overrides tilesets, the same for creatures. So yeah if you're editing the files anyway, it's worth compacting the tiles.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2365 on: January 05, 2018, 06:45:32 pm »

Just a recap of recently added features and options:

1. Hide stockpiles (background, not items of course) unless in [q], [p] and [k] modes. Enable with "twbt hide_stockpiles 1".

2. Optional workshop transparency (like for other buildings). Enable with "twbt workshop_transparency 1".

3. Optional unit transparency. Enable with "twbt unit_transparency 1".

4. Not new feature but I reminder that if there are rendering issues when moving the map, use "twbt redraw_all 1".

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: January 05, 2018, 08:34:50 pm »

also the "hide stockpiles" requires that "twbt redraw_all 1" be done first, unless you changed it recently.

simast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: January 06, 2018, 08:43:07 am »

Hi, I have a small issue with this plugin: I use different fonts for map graphics and text and have a weird issue that when I switch from fortress map to another screen (say announcements with A) and hit ESC - the map is not rendered and I am left with black area instead of a map display. If however I simply loose focus from the window and then get back into it (by tabing in/out) - the map will rerender. Is it a known issue and is there a workaround for this?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2368 on: January 06, 2018, 09:20:56 am »

You asked earlier about vermin transparency. Just wanted to say that I have no idea why they don't work. Creatures are fine, vermin on ground not. They show a solid black background. It works when they are dead, for example when a fisher catches them... I guess they count as items in that case.

Do you think ANY_CRITTER or ANY_EDIBLE_VERMIN would help?

I also can't seem to override build bookcases. The item is fine, but the constructed bookcase shows the original tile. When I use print-twbt-overrides, I get those values for it:
Code: [Select]
B:ANY_STORAGE:Bookcase::
B:UNK_V42_2:Bookcase::

That's with the newest windows build on dfhack beta.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #2369 on: January 06, 2018, 09:55:43 am »

You asked earlier about vermin transparency. Just wanted to say that I have no idea why they don't work. Creatures are fine, vermin on ground not. They show a solid black background. It works when they are dead, for example when a fisher catches them... I guess they count as items in that case.

Do you think ANY_CRITTER or ANY_EDIBLE_VERMIN would help?

I also can't seem to override build bookcases. The item is fine, but the constructed bookcase shows the original tile. When I use print-twbt-overrides, I get those values for it:
Code: [Select]
B:ANY_STORAGE:Bookcase::
B:UNK_V42_2:Bookcase::

That's with the newest windows build on dfhack beta.

Oh right, vermin they are completely separate and rendered separately... I guess I'll have to ask Toady to make it possible to intercept their rendering too like for units.

As for bookcases, I don't know, B:UNK_V42_2:Bookcase:: should work, I'll check tomorrow if it doesn't.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 184