Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress in Poland  (Read 3642 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress in Poland
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 07:10:12 am »

"DF multi-player" takes 2 basic forms. The community fortress, where a group of people make suggestions or discuss what to do, but only one person is actually at the controls. And the succession fortress, where people take turns being at the controls.
And then there is DFTerm. Few years ago we in Russian DF community had a lot of fun with it, though it has few problems and needs to be tweaked to work with latest version.

DFTerm (and similar things like webfort) essentially just provide a convenient way to do what are essentially succession forts without having to pass a save around.
There's a big difference between playing for fifteen minutes or less while other players watch and chat, and playing for a year each with no real communication beyond AAR type posts.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 07:31:20 am »

"DF multi-player" takes 2 basic forms. The community fortress, where a group of people make suggestions or discuss what to do, but only one person is actually at the controls. And the succession fortress, where people take turns being at the controls.
And then there is DFTerm. Few years ago we in Russian DF community had a lot of fun with it, though it has few problems and needs to be tweaked to work with latest version.
DFTerm (and similar things like webfort) essentially just provide a convenient way to do what are essentially succession forts without having to pass a save around.
There's a big difference between playing for fifteen minutes or less while other players watch and chat, and playing for a year each with no real communication beyond AAR type posts.
True. I also remember a (more recent) fort running around 20 real-time days with all pauses removed, with people connecting and doing stuff whenever they want, and contingency plan in form of a walled-in vampire and autobackups. It was quite an experience.
The only two problems were occasional griefing and backspace button not working.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 06:41:49 pm »

True. I also remember a (more recent) fort running around 20 real-time days with all pauses removed, with people connecting and doing stuff whenever they want, and contingency plan in form of a walled-in vampire and autobackups. It was quite an experience.
The only two problems were occasional griefing and backspace button not working.
Was it pretty much "Twitch Plays Dwarf Fortress" or was it super-fancy with everyone having their own cursor?
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 06:12:29 am »

I'm Polish as well though I don't really play DF that much anymore, if that counts. :V
(I sure was hyped for DF2014 and played a lot of it when it first released though)

One of my irl friends is on the forums as well somewhere I think.
Pages: 1 [2]