Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

1) How should combat work?  2) How should spawning work?

#1 Realistic (ex. stab in the gut is a stab in the gut)
- 28 (31.1%)
#1 Statistics (ex. stab in the gut deals 75 damage)
- 5 (5.6%)
#1 Comical Statistics (ex. stab in the gut deals 75 damage plus has a 75 appear above your head for a few seconds)
- 18 (20%)
#2 Respawn part is done.
- 9 (10%)
#2 Poll has not been reset so combat can continue.
- 11 (12.2%)
#2 However, drop your second vote down here to be fair to early voters for combat.
- 19 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67

Author Topic: If Forumites were stuck in an RPG... (Act 1: The Adventure Begins...)  (Read 49853 times)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

This is the old thread.  Here is the link to the new.

(New thread due to poll screw-up in the old...)

Greetings everyone, if you have heard of "If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall", then you should know what this game is going to be like.  If you haven't heard of it, then let me explain what it is.  Various members of Bay 12 are taken into a game of Dwarf Fortress and describe what they do in their part to build up a fortress.  However, there tends to be a snag at the point of the early parts of the fortress, which causes a loss of interest.  The original duology ran oddly, which led to them, for most of the time, being within an already established fortress.  However, when a second continuity was tried, an attempt to make it on a more focused timescale resulted in the game slowing down much faster than the original, due to the lack of there being too many things to serve as options.

Mechanics of This Game

Dungeon Structure:
If a room hasn't been entered before, then the player who enters the room provides a description of the room, and a threat or two within it.  Each room needs to have at least two doors within it (one you came in from and a Mystery Room), and one threat within it.

Within the starting room are teleporters to each room, but the only ones transporters open are where there are other players at.  They are there so people may join at any time, and are able to jump directly to the rest.

Map

Class selection:
To select your class, you walk to a Dias in the center of the starting room (within first paragraph of the IC below), and a device that looks like this held on by the restraints of these attaches to your character's non-dominant arm.  After this, your character gets a recommended class based on the weapon they spawn in with.  Each time your character levels up (every 5 rooms), you get a selection between two abilities, a passive (always on) or an active (needs to be activated).  Please keep in mind your level when giving your character abilities.

Respawn System:
The system is Permadeath-Respawn, wherein your character respawns, but your body does not have the same appearance when you respawn.  Under this system, there are only two requirements.  One, you have to remain the race you were when you died.  I didn't say human, because players might wind up being transformed into another race at some point.  Two, you cannot have an appearance you have used before.  It has to be new, at least to you.

Combat System:
The combat system is whatever is the most prevalent in the polls at the time.  As of this edit, it is Realistic, which means that if, for example, you are stabbed in the gut, your gut is skewered.

Sign-up Sheet
You will use this at initial sign-up, and post a new one when you respawn.

Name: (Your forum username)
Appearance: (Your gender, an age class (ie. mid-twenties, early forties, etc), and one or two features (Note: It only has to be your actual appearance and clothing if you want to use it.  You can look however you wish.)
Inventory: (Clothing you currently have and one weapon (with ammo, if neccessary).  As above, the clothing does not have to be your actual clothing if you don't want it to be.  It is preferred that the weapon is something that you actually have, though)

Compiled Sheets, Inventory, and Statistics

Zanzetkuken wakes up slowly, before jumping up a bit, but is stalled by a gun laying on his chest.  In his pockets, he finds two circular cases of ammo for the rifle that looks oddly like an exact copy of his Dad's pellet gun.  He puts it back into his pocket as he looks around the circular room that appears to be made of stone, which has a door on the opposite side, across a bridge to a circular platform from the semicircular platform that he was on, and across another bridge to another semicircular platform in front of the door.  The platforms were raised 2 feet above the remaining area, which had a foot of water within it.

"Weirdly vivid dream..." he says, leaning backwards into a lying position, until he runs into someone's stomach, which has him bolt up to his feet, catching the gun when it begins to go flying forward, and turn around as the other person awakes.  "S-sorry.  Didn't know...all of you were there.  W-who are all of you" he says as he notices that it was a whole group of people behind him, everyone apparently have just been tossed there.  He nervously looks at the gun and quickly says, "I wasn't the one who put you there.  Nor do I know who did."

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:46:03 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Kyle looks around in confusion, still somewhat asleep. He looks to the other boy.
"... What?"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:04:04 pm by kj1225 »

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Character Sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Griffinpup sits up, instinctively gripping his pistol in his holster. 
Who are you guys?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 06:36:32 pm by griffinpup »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Name... Tawarochir.
Appearance... Skinny, tall, wimpy, teenage, male.
Inventory... Glasses for nearsightedness, hoodie, jeans, button-up shirt, sneakers, STEEL LONGSWORD (I totally have one of those, no joke.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:12:00 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(I could switch to a melee weapon too, mod, if you want.  That seems to be the general trend, and flails/morningstars are cool) (and yes, I would own one)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

Name... Tawarochir.
Appearance... Skinny, tall, wimpy, glasses.
Inventory... Hoodie, jeans, button-up shirt, sneakers, LONGSWORD (I totally have one of those, no joke.)

(Glasses would go under 'inventory', and you forgot gender and age category (ie. mid-twenties, late fifties, early thirties, etc.) in 'appearance'.  Use mine, KJ's, or Griffin's as examples of how it should look.

Also, what is the Longsword made of?)

(I could switch to a melee weapon too, mod, if you want.  That seems to be the general trend, and flails/morningstars are cool) (and yes, I would own one)

(Look at my sheet.  It's currently 2-2 on melee-ranged, and it really comes down to whatever you have available where you live as of sheet creation, if you are deciding to go by that.  Just don't forget the amount of ammo you have.  Mine's only so much due to all the pellets only filling a hand-sized circular container per 250.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 02:35:23 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

Nav loudly cracks his neck, but he doesn't say anything.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

(One short request: no one step over onto the central platform right now.  I have something specific I want to type out there that is a fairly important detail for Class choice, but I have stuff I need to do right now.)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

Name: BlitzDungeoneer
Appearance: Male, early teens, wears glasses, is an albino.
Inventory: White business suit, black boots. Tie is excluded from said suit. Has glasses.
Weapon is a 60cm dagger.

Blitz slowly wakes up and looks around.
"Huh. That just happened."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:43:47 pm by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

"I didn't do it," Zanzetkuken replies to the first person who spoke, and, after some struggle to try and say something else, says "Zanzetkuken, since for some reason I can't say my actual name" to the second, as he backs away from the group of awakening people to give them room, eventually making contact with the central platform.  When the back of his foot makes contact, a section silently opens and a automation leaps out, restraints gripping his forearm.  The forumite drops his rifle, which manages to land unharmed, and attempts to pull the device off, but the restraints attach back to the device before he can.  Soon after, a great many needles puncture the skin and send a jolt of energy through his system, causing him to fall down to his knees.  When it passes, he sees a 2d outline of his body displayed upon it, with the black space within the outline having the vital organs colored.  Next to it is six categories with some numbers next to them, but he is unable to read them before it blanks for a second.  They reappear afterwards, with the text 'Class Selection' below them, as well as, with lines going from buttons along the side, two more lines of text 'Search for a Specific Class' and 'Use Recommended Class: Sniper'.

"What.  The fuck..." the forumite said as he picks up his rifle and backed off the center platform towards the other people.

(Device looks like this held on by smaller versions of the restraints of these stasis pods.  For your information, the jolt, as well as assessing body structure, scans your memory to see what weapon you have at the current time, and recommends a class based on that.  Searching for a reccomended class goes to two more options, Search by Name (text input) and Search by Category (Classes are arranged by Melee, Ranged, then through the combat style (ex. Long Range, Mid Range, Short Range) and narrows down til you reach a specific class).  Stats listed would be Strength, Dexterity, and the such, but they are primarily going to be fluff unless you want to use them to determine how your post will run.)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

Kyle gets up and walks over to the platform and presumably gets a similar treatment. He shrugs and accepts when he gets recomended the 'Incredibly obvious ninja' class. He walks to the door at the room and looks around the room from that point before nodding.
"I'm asleep and this is a weird dream game."

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile

Nav steps on the platform and waits to see what his recommended class is.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well that's cool.  I need to get me in on this! Griffinpup checks to see what the dais says to him

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

"I'm asleep and this is a weird dream game."

"Um, I'm having the same dream in.  Or something.  What if uh, it is like if Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall?  We're all trapped in a game.  Uh, anyone play a game before you woke up or go on the Forums?"

Noticing that the person had accepted his class, whatever it was, Zanzetkuken tentatively presses the button that accepts the Sniper Class.  The display returns to what it was before, with text designating he is a sniper, and referring to him as Level 1.  There is also the text Class Abilities, with a link to one of the buttons.  He presses it and a mostly empty list shows up, only the first slot filled with Improved Accuracy I and two options, one to exit, and one to analyze the abilities.  When using the analysis on Improved Accuracy I, there is a short description that having it improves accuracy, to which the forumite reacts with, All things considered it might actually do something, and some-Oh god, is that flavor text....  After exiting the menu, a box shows up saying that he will be able to choose between two more abilities each level, before returning him to the 'main menu'.

"Oh, um, I don't think we should go near that door, yet.  At least until everyone has their...classes..."

Nav steps on the platform and waits to see what his recommended class is.
Griffinpup checks to see what the dais says to him

(You make up your class yourself.  Only form of GMing I would be doing is to correct upon previously established facts, and call out some actions as impossible, or possibly asking for some people to slow down so others can have some input in a combat bit.

Also, Griffin, the stuff appears on the screen part of the device, not the platform.  The Dais doesn't say anything, it only gives you the device.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 67