Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Mission 13: Assassination  (Read 47843 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission 13: Assassination
« on: May 23, 2014, 04:53:26 pm »

The shuttle that carries you down is bare, save for a few harnesses and a big metal box that someone has securely fastened to the back wall. There are no stasis pods, no insignia, no identifying marks, and the entire thing has been painted a light swallowing black. It's wings are longer, and there are jet engines tucked under them, right next to the rockets. It's clear that going in as quiet, dark and untraceable as possible is high on the mission's priorities. The team opens the crate as they descend, slowly drifting down onto the night side of the planet. Inside the box are a few simple supplies: Clothing, A roll of bills, and small packets of paperwork.

The clothing is bright, mostly yellows, reds, whites and some earth tones, With short sleeved undershirts, light, open overshirts, wide, loose pants and head scarfs or turban like coverings. The papers are identification paperwork, passport equivalents, working permits for a variety of jobs from electrician to plumber, and an id card, all with their faces and false names plastered across them. The roll of bills looked to be a few thousand in various denominations. Milno pocketed it all, for now, and handed the clothes and papers out to the rest of the team. They had just enough time to get dressed before the rockets cut out, and the jets cut on. A few minutes later and they felt their stomach sink to their knees as the ship pulled up in a hard arc, from a dive into a slower decent. The shuttle's automated pilot barks numbers out of a tinny speaker in the crew compartment.

10 seconds till doors open.

The team grab their cases and bunch up at the door. The air brakes kick on and the hovering rockets activate, holding the ship there for just long enough for the men to jump out the opening doors and fall a few feet to the dirt below. They shield their heads from the hot burst of air and dust as the shuttle jets back off into the night, They stand up, dust themselves off, and look around. It's night out, no moon to tell how deep into the 14 hour night they are, but it's chilly none the less. Even here near the equator, the planet is a bit too cold to be comfortable. In the distance is a city, or more like a large town, a squat collection of glittering lights laid out across a plain of dull yellowed grass and strange, willowy trees. The Shuttle dropped them maybe a quarter mile from what looks like a road or drive river bank leading toward the town.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:22:35 am by piecewise »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 13: Assassination
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:50:56 pm »

Lars raised his arms, half a stretch and half a gesture of praise.  "Praise be to all the gods, and may Steve bless us in our mission.  We shall be the hidden knife that cuts forth the will of Steve!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 08:41:43 pm »

After taking note of how ridiculous the local clothes are compared to the Sword's and to his own planet's, the first thing Milno does as soon as they arrive and he spots Lars raising his arms with the corner of his eye is putting a hand over the other man's mouth, pressing against it with cold metallic fingers. "Shhh. We left in a hurry but now that we are here I'll set the rules. First thing: stay quiet - that goes double for you Lars, no praising of any kind unless it is mental or inaudible - and only speak when necessary or when I instruct you to. We need to lay low until we get at least an idea of how things are and how people talk."

"Second: anyone with amps, only use them after at least a moment of concentration unless it's sorely necessary to make use of it instantly, such as in emergencies. Third: get acquainted with your papers like your lives depend on it. Fourth: our priority is catching the target alive, putting him to sleep and then getting everything we need from his brain, like the places where he may have backups of the info Steve wants secured."

The young man lowers his hand down. "Are we clear?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 09:06:06 pm »

(( Sanity check: Do we have any kind of radios to each other? Or are we a collective derp for not trying to get one :P))

Clear. How do we want to proceed to town? Going in all at once or from the same entrance is going to be suspicious, but I don't fancy wandering away from the road at night.

Study false documents carefully while we wait to move out.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:36:44 pm by Kriellya »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 09:10:46 pm »

Lars bowed his head.  "Yes, Saint Milno.  I will keep our prayers inward.  For is it not written that inward contemplation leads to outward contentment?"  He pulled out his papers and began to study them.

Study papers.  Memorize the relevant info.  Follow group as it moves.

"Perhaps we should see how others travel?"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 09:42:02 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2014, 09:30:51 pm »

"Let's keep some distance from the road but we'll follow it, just to be on the safe side. Taking note of how the others travel is good idea. We'll take our time, 'cause it's more important we do this right than we do this quick." Milno says, checking his own papers to take a look at them as well. "When we get closer and check if there's anything weird going on for the entrance, we'll start to trickle down after arranging a meeting place, like getting into the first hotel we see and waiting for the others."

In case there's enough light, start to memorize the important bits of the papers while heading to the town without hurry. Get closer to and use the road for reference but stick a bit away just in case. Observe the area for any abnormalities.

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 10:32:34 pm »

Well this stuff is a little on the garish side, don't ya think? Eh, whatever, it's what the locals wear.

Stay with the group and study the papers. Memorize important/relevant info
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 06:46:55 am »

Get in clothes, follow the group. Look at common facial traits of the people here, remember them. Look over papers.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:25:24 pm »

(We will assume that all of you have the information on your documents memorized. )

(( Sanity check: Do we have any kind of radios to each other? Or are we a collective derp for not trying to get one :P))

Clear. How do we want to proceed to town? Going in all at once or from the same entrance is going to be suspicious, but I don't fancy wandering away from the road at night.

Study false documents carefully while we wait to move out.
You don't have radios. You also don't have a way to contact steve since none of you took the Quantum Entanglement Communicator.

"Let's keep some distance from the road but we'll follow it, just to be on the safe side. Taking note of how the others travel is good idea. We'll take our time, 'cause it's more important we do this right than we do this quick." Milno says, checking his own papers to take a look at them as well. "When we get closer and check if there's anything weird going on for the entrance, we'll start to trickle down after arranging a meeting place, like getting into the first hotel we see and waiting for the others."

In case there's enough light, start to memorize the important bits of the papers while heading to the town without hurry. Get closer to and use the road for reference but stick a bit away just in case. Observe the area for any abnormalities.

The team walks the quarter mile towards the road and then follows it from a distance. The road is deserted, nothing but the odd single vehicle which rumbles past in the dark, temporarily blinding the group with its headlights as they hide in the tall grass. After two hours of hiking the edge of the town lies just ahead of them. The first buildings along the road jut out into the still uncut grass like concrete peninsulas in a wheat colored sea, their windows dark. The only real illumination comes from the streetlights that line the road in seemingly random intervals, spaced raggedly between the buildings and creating little islands of yellowish light along the dark street. Smaller side streets branch off of the main one, and vanish into the darkness, winding off into the alleys behind the  wooden and chain link fences of the homes just off the main street. The glow of brighter lights can be seen up ahead, deeper into the city.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 04:39:58 pm »

(( I think we're stuck on this rock, then. That, or we leave by destroying the town. Hard to say.  :D
I'm not sure the size of the QEC registered with any of us, for some reason. Or that we would bring it down instead of a briefcase. :P ))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »

((Shit. Well now we have to burn down the town  :D))
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 05:20:09 pm »

((Or you could try something simple and non-destructive, like finding a space-internets connection and sending a message @SteveNorthernGreen in future Twitter.))

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »

((You seem to be using a word that I don't understand. I got the destructive part down, its the part before that I'm having a problem with :D Also, we're the ARM. We excel at destruction :))))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 06:46:44 pm »

((That does make me wonder what our exit plan is.))

Lars looked at the upcoming city.  "Shall we approach as a group or split up?  I don't think splitting up is wise, as we don't have a way to contact each other back.  Plus, how unusual is five people walking together?"

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 08:38:26 pm »

((That does make me wonder what our exit plan is.))

Lars looked at the upcoming city.  "Shall we approach as a group or split up?  I don't think splitting up is wise, as we don't have a way to contact each other back.  Plus, how unusual is five people walking together?"

(( Yeah, if there is literally no exit plan without that device, PW, we may want to retcon it in. I'm sure we can remove enough items to take it and Milno, as leader, definitely made a request for it earlier. So it should be here despite anything the rest of us wanted. ))

At this time of night, looks like highly unusual. We didn't see anyone on the road except that car. We'll be really suspicious if someone sees all of us coming in at once. We might even be suspicious just coming in the main road at this hour.

I say we split up, get into town separately, and 'meet' near the hotel.

If we spread out the cameras between us, I or whoever wants my datapad can hopefully find the others if there's a problem, or at least see that there *is* a problem.
((Redacted if the cameras end up disappearing :P ))

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23