Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72]

Author Topic: Mission 14: Cult investigation: A Storm Is Coming.  (Read 168622 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 14: Cult investigation: A Storm Is Coming.
« Reply #1065 on: September 19, 2014, 12:14:55 pm »

Perhaps a future standard for "on high" commanders:  Their pay starts at standard 5 tokens, but instead of going up for success, it's docked every time someone seriously screws up under their command.  (Accidentally tasering a teammate isn't enough to be a problem.  Killing a couple civilians is a token.  Blowing up an important mission asset is two tokens.  Manip overloads or anything that is referred to as X-9 afterwards drops the pay to zero.)

To balance this out, commanders get access to the Shock Switch.
I like this. We can do this if the people under him are willing.

It might work better simply using it in the future since it wasn't decided ahead of time for this one, as well as he didn't lead the full mission, just the "de-screwup" part of it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: September 19, 2014, 12:25:36 pm »

Perhaps a future standard for "on high" commanders:  Their pay starts at standard 5 tokens, but instead of going up for success, it's docked every time someone seriously screws up under their command.  (Accidentally tasering a teammate isn't enough to be a problem.  Killing a couple civilians is a token.  Blowing up an important mission asset is two tokens.  Manip overloads or anything that is referred to as X-9 afterwards drops the pay to zero.)

To balance this out, commanders get access to the Shock Switch.
I like this. We can do this if the people under him are willing.

It might work better simply using it in the future since it wasn't decided ahead of time for this one, as well as he didn't lead the full mission, just the "de-screwup" part of it.

I'd be ok with this, though there's a good chance I'll be joining this one myself, so it's moot for this mission.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: September 19, 2014, 07:20:46 pm »

I... don't think commanders should be docked for x-9 events. I mean, oftentimes the actions are harmless enough. How was Xantalos to know absorbing some flesh was going to cause LEG, or that the super-ice was going to be a thing? Or... Well, any other overload? They're mostly just bad luck aren't they?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: September 19, 2014, 07:38:58 pm »

Well, with the x-9 things it's both times been because of someone entering stupid big parameters into a manipulator and then fudging the calculations out of exhaustion, so it could be argued that since the overloadee almost always dies the commander should get docked for his subordinate's stupidness (like that one time someone typed 'ROAST ME UP SUM DOGY PLS' into a manip and got an explosion in their face for their trouble))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1069 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:28 pm »

Yeah, it enforces the concept of responsibility. If someone is given a group of people to manage and is given a task to complete, then if they don't complete the task or do poorly at it, the one paying them is not very likely to take into account whether or not that was caused by luck or incompetence.

Besides, the players are punished for bad luck. Why not the commanders?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: September 19, 2014, 08:47:07 pm »

I agree with the above two; even if the grunt is at fault, the supervisor eats some blame.  They should have stopped them, trained them better, had them doing something else; pick your reason.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: September 19, 2014, 09:36:13 pm »

Put more concisely, you could ask just what, if they're unable to stop fuckups from occurring, are we supposed to be paying them for?

Plus, it's a relatively low-risk situation to begin with, so it makes sense for the values to be fairly low. If everything goes to hell and you're on the ground, you can be sure you're earning those tokens just getting back to the ship to collect them. If everything goes to hell and you're in the command chair, I guess you have one of your assistants fetch you a beverage to relax with after that just dreadful thing with the feeds all going dead.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:52 pm »

"Did those numbskulls blow up another continent?  *sigh* Mobilize a shuttle to scrape up what's left of them."

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: September 20, 2014, 05:20:09 am »

Helped fought Possed Faith.
Helped with retrieving info from that's egg things.
Helped Salsa's character dig D'usse out.
Didn't die or mess things up in general.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1074 on: September 20, 2014, 12:20:47 pm »

Helped fought Possed Faith.
Helped with retrieving info from that's egg things.
Helped Salsa's character dig D'usse out.
Didn't die or mess things up in general.

6. Lets go with 6.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72]