Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How long would YOU survive in Adventure Mode?  (Read 9567 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: How long would YOU survive in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 09:59:29 am »

Well, adventure mode NPCs tend to sit quietly in their houses and do nothing all day, so I have a feeling that I'd fit right in. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Shaggard

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't need no arms to strangle, nor teeth to bite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 07:31:12 pm »

If it's a good area, the unicorns'll eat me. If it's a bad area, the ogres'll eat me. If it's an area of neutral environmental morals, it'll be something else feasting on my supple human chops. Probably jackals.

There ain't much winning to be had, but losing is fun.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 03:36:32 pm »

Dwarf Fortress in a single sentence.
Regards,
Dampe

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2014, 12:38:39 am »

Notable Stats:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then skills:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd do okay. Surviving in adventure mode isn't difficult; people freely give you clothing and food, and one waterskin can provide infinite water. Plus, you can make campfires anywhere. If I actually started adventuring... Well, that's different. I doubt I would last particularly long if I actually went adventuring. Versus just about anything larger than a bobcat, I wouldn't do well. Anything larger than a rat if we're talking carnivores. And I don't really have it in me to break the bones of animals for training; I work in a veterinary office, I've seen what broken bones are like. Most likely I'd go live on a beach and eat albatross meat and drink clothing-filtered seawater. Sharks occasionally beach themselves when they try to ambush you sleeping, so I'd have some variety in my diet, and like I said, I can go to towns for new clothing or non-meat foods. Not much, but it is a living, and I would get plenty of thrower and ambusher training from bird hunting. Someday, I could potentially go kill a bunch of bandits by throwing crab legs at them or something.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 09:29:05 am »

Dwarf Fortress in a single sentence.

Edit: This is going on my sig.
Regards,
Dampe

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »

Something I've learned is that most people would probably have a default competent in basically everything as I've done stuff in the object testing arena quite a lot and dabbling in a fighting skill is like someone who's never even seen a weapon or doesn't understand the concept of fighting. Then of course most people know how to swim, read, and a bunch of other stuff. As for me I think I could manage it. Most of what I would do depends on whether you are controlled by the rules of the game or the rules of real life. Like if I could just throw rocks at the ground for 2 days and then go out and kill a bronze colossus with a bunny then I would definitely do that. If it's real life though that would be much more difficult. Though a lot of things are kind of difficult to merge, mainly where multiple people are involved. Like if I'm making an attempt to sneak does that count as sneaking? Because there's only two ways that they judge your sneaking; trying to and not trying to.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2014, 12:12:13 pm »

Hmm...well, knowing the way the game works, I'd probably try and steer clear of trouble at first. If I ended up in a combat situation, I'd probably try and outrun the pursuers (average speed, strength and dexterity, but high endurance). Ultimately, if I didn't get ambushed and killed right away, I'd either end up taming the beasts of somewhere or other and building a shack in the wilds (assuming adventurers are allowed to build in this world), becoming obsessed with my own mortality and learning the secrets of life and death and spending the rest of eternity as a tenured professor (or using the undead for the betterment of all!)---or, knowing my luck, someone would find out that I'm a Legendary +5 Organizer (IRL, of books; I don't think the Mountainhomes would care about that detail) and dragoon me into founding a fortress...thus severely limiting life expectancy.

Inveigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 09:11:21 pm »

I wouldn't last long. I'd go around town accusing everyone of being a night creature as a joke and then get ripped to shreds. Oopsie.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »

Precisely forty-two seconds.

I tried playing myself the first time. High Master reader, almost nothing else.

Afterward I found out that there were no wizards in DF, something I'm going to remedy tomorrow.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 11:47:57 pm »

Human outsider peasant with above average agility, toughness, and willpower, but low strength.
I am surrounded by incessant cackling. Fortunately, due to a modding error, the bogeymen are too busy fighting each other to bother me. I nope my way to the nearest hovel and cower myself to sleep until noonish. I spot a vampire for its long teeth and call it out because I have the balls, then duck behind a corner while an angry mob handles it. I claim the kill and the vampire's posessions, rinse and repeat until the hamlet is clear of everything that's going to kill me in my sleep. Same procedure with werebeasts, learn the hideouts of all local werebeasts, sneak in and take them out while they're naked and vulnerable. Once I have dealt with all threats to my survival I am capable of handling, I retire.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 01:39:53 am »

Clarification: I can choose to do a task, including Fortress Mode tasks, regardless of my profession, and all of my actions are governed by the DF mechanics, right? And all the bugs are carried over from this version?
If so, I'll exploit the hell out of that world.

First things first: when I spawn in a village, I find the nearest abandoned building, dismantle 10 tiles of it for wood, construct a Carpenter's Workshop(1 wood) and a Bowyer's Workshop (1 wood) and a cheap 2 Z-level-high one-training-spear Shaft of Enlightenment(3 wood), then build a shield, a training sword, a training spear, a training axe and a crossbow(5 wood).
Then I wield them all and throw myself off the Shaft. Two possibilities as to what happens when I hit the ground: 1) I get hit in the head and die; 2) The Shaft breaks a few non-vital parts of my body but I live.

Possibility 1 ends with me dying within a few hours from spawning.
If 2 happens instead, I'll sleep for an hour, which tends to cure broken bones for some reason, then rush to a nearby keep to get some stone blocks and build a soap production line. If I'm quick and lucky enough, I'll have cleaned whatever smashed nails I have before the infection sets in; as a result, I'll get to live for a few years or decades as a fat, arthritic, near-invulnerable Enlightened adventurer. If I don't succeed in preventing the infection, then I'm going to be dead in a few months.

That said, if that exploit didn't work, I'd probably die really quickly. Weak people don't last long in DF.

Conclusion: my expected lifespan could be anywhere from hours to decades.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 02:34:46 am by HmH »

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 01:23:02 am »

I'm pretty good at persuasion, consolation, empathy, and I think I could make a good teacher. I think I could be a good leader, given the chance.

I took Shuri Te Ha Karate for 3 years, but haven't kept up physically much since quitting about 2 years ago. So I'd probably be a competent fighter/wrestler, and I am pretty strong but I am sure my endurance has went down considerably and I have a back injury that often makes me not want to do physical things. High willpower, both physically and mentally and Karate taught me to endure pain quite a bit, many classes were purely about building toughness. Basically you punched/kicked a hard target hundreds of times, or had people kick and strike you just as much. I don't have any weapon training though, and I would avoid combat when possible because not only do I not want to get messed up or killed, I'd prefer not to do that to someone else either.

So in the end I might be able to learn to become a decent fighter, but it's not in my nature so I'd probably play it safe and try to get into some kind of leadership role and share my knowledge of devices and science to advance my people and try to unify the good races if I ever got into a position of power. Other than that I'd probably try to start a family and live as long as possible.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 02:51:36 am »

Hanging sacks of fat don't give you much perspective. I'd be a decent swordfighter possibly though, due to an above average kinesthetic sense and agility, if I started working out.

That, or singing songs.

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2014, 03:01:21 am »

It all depends on whether or not Dwarf Fortress mechanics are in play or not, and whether or not advfort type commands are in play or not.

If they are, In ideal circumstances I ensure my hamlet where I spawn is a relatively safe locale, acquire the requisite materials from around my immediate surroundings to begin maxing my skills out, and then proceed to do so while using the local crops for sustenance. Once I've reached functional perfection, if I have any metals from my time spent during my digging training, I make them into a suit of armor, collect a team of followers, and go to the nearest city. I keep going from city to city, fortress to fortress until I have gathered enough steel to melt down to make a complete set of the best non-candy gear possible (assuming, of course, I didn't find the materials necessary to make steel back at the hamlet during digging training, of course). Once I've acquired *that*, the goal becomes simple; discover the secrets of life and death. Assuming I do so and survive, I carefully, gradually begin to build a power base of loyal undead slaves with the endgame of becoming such a dominant force in the world that I trigger an age transition to *my* age. =D

Well, that's the plan anyway. Would I pull it off? Probably not. It's really more dependent on luck than it is on any of my personal abilities or traits, especially since I can spend the time in the first place to maximize everything.

Now, if DF mechanics are *NOT* in play...

I probably die the first time my hamlet is raided by goblins.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27:04 am »

Well, I'm a damn good shot with a bow. I guess, with the current power of bows in DF, I'd conquer the planet in a matter of years. :P
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4