Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: How long would YOU survive in Adventure Mode?  (Read 9563 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: How long would YOU survive in Adventure Mode?
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2014, 04:54:09 am »

Since I'm a human child, I'd probably become legendary after punching the rampaging hero to death or something. :P

But in all seriousness, I'd probably become some sort of a court wizard by using my !!SCIENCE!! knowledge.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2014, 07:12:17 am »

Why use your exploit knowledge to become a lone hero when you could lead an exploit loaded army in conquest of the universe?

Especially since you would be the only person who knows what an army actually IS.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2014, 09:18:18 am »

Why use your exploit knowledge to become a lone hero when you could lead an exploit loaded army in conquest of the universe?

Especially since you would be the only person who knows what an army actually IS.
A number of reasons:
1) When you're an exploit-loaded God-Emperor Of A Freshly Conquered Country who orders non-augmented soldiers around, your authority goes unquestioned no matter what you do since they can't really kill you anyway. When you're an exploit-loaded general of an exploit-loaded army, this will no longer be true, so expect regular attempts to frag you.
2) Having an army places responsibilities on your shoulders. Responsibilities like feeding them, and leading them in search of more places to pillage, and not raising dead in the middle of your enemy's fortification lest you be seen as a necromancer. Being a lone hero frees you up to do whatever you want: jump, climb trees, grind your Throwing, wrangle crocodiles all day, spar with sponges, befriend kobolds, explore other civilizations before you turn them to rubble, stuff like that.
3) There's always the possibility that the world where one would end up will have self-aware, unrestrained intelligences in it rather than the usual welcome-to-corneria type NPCs. If they are not bound by the original game's AI, then they can use exploits too. The more people under your command know about the exploits' existence and what they do, the more people can leak that information to your enemies. Do you really want to leave a way for any sufficiently inventive NPC with CAN_LEARN, including demons, to get their skills as high as they want to?
4) You get more kills if you fight alone. Also, fighting is good for your stats.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:27:42 am by HmH »

Raul351

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Digital Art☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2014, 04:38:41 pm »

I have to know, is the dwarf fortress world as it is in game or is it a more realistic version with rational people?
I am not liable for any disappointment attributed to this post.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2014, 11:33:03 am »

It is portrayed exactly correctly. In the world of Dwarf Fortress, instead of a person writing the letter U, the letter U writes a person. At signs run rampant, slaying e's and :)'s at will with forward slashes. Animate g's warn @'s to stay away from their territory. Humans have a minuscule vocabulary, responding only to certain words with identical sentences.

Nah, kidding. You imagine the world of DF the way you want to.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 12:08:16 pm »

Demigod Tier in attributes, though honestly a lot of those better ones are dump stats.
Spoiler: ATTRIBUTES (click to show/hide)

Most of my skills are either swimming or reading...
Spoiler: Skills (click to show/hide)

Honestly, I'd do what some other people have said, become obsessed with my own mortality, become a necromancer, and get the hell out of dodge with my zombie army. I'd have a tower and live peacefully until some exploity adventurer cuts off my head.  But until then, I'll live.  In case of no necromancers, I'll just profane temples until I am cursed to be a vampire.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2014, 02:04:03 pm »

Attributes -
Superior Strength
-I'm a blacksmith, and swing a 5lb sledge around all day, and lift ungodly heavy blocks of steel when they're in my way
Above Average Agility
-I have cat like reflexes, but trip over my own feet sometimes
Superior Toughness
-I have a very high pain tolerance for cuts, bruises and burns
Poor Endurance
-I'm fat and out of shape everywhere but my arms, I get winded standing up sometimes
Average Recuperation
-10 minute rests and I'm ready for round two.  Illnesses pass quickly
Superior Disease Resistance
-My immune system is on steroids.  My wife just recently caught a literal plague and my immune system stared it in the face and said "meh"
Superior Analytical Ability
-I have a degree in engineering
Poor Focus
-Squirrel!
Below Average Willpower
-I succumb to impulse pretty easily, but I can be stonewall about a lot of other things
Poor Creativity
-I have zero artistic talent
Above Average Intuition
-I can usually figure out he ending of a mystery well ahead of the big reveal, but I can still have the wool pulled over from time to time. I'm beastly at turn based strategy games like Risk
Below Average Linguistic Ability
-I sometimes stutter, and am a vocal dyslexic
Poor Memory
-I'm getting on in years and the brain doesn't work like it used to
High Spatial Sense
-I get a lot of practice where I have to be aware of my surroundings, especially when I trip over my own feet and need to know the closest surface to brace myself on to avoid a nasty fall
Very Low Empathy
-I'm a borderline sociopath.  I hate seeing animals hurt, but human suffering is my schadenfreude (I'm on pills for this, they don't seem to work)
Average Musicality and Social Awareness
-I can carry a tune and do ok in a social situation if I'm paying attention.
Godlike Patience
-I'm married to a wonderful woman with hypothyroidism, borderline personality disorder, clinical depression, and an inability to take care of basic needs out of sheer laziness.  I'd give Mother Teresa or Gandhi a run for their money

SKILLS (only ones of note, I've dabbled in nearly everything listed as a skill in DF in real life) -
Master Cook
-I did this professionally until I couldn't take it anymore.  I can cook most anything I have a recipe for, and can cook most anything over a campfire
Competent Brewer
-Never not home brew your own beer and moonshine
Adequate Herbalist
-I can identify dozens of fungus, plants, and trees and their uses
Skilled Wood Burner
-I make my own charcoal
Talented Wood Cutter
-I'm not on par with a lumberjack, but I know the difference between a felling axe and a broad axe and can get a tree to fall where I want it to
Adequate Carpenter
-I do classic wood working, and can build a building out of logs or boards and build basic furniture that can support my fat ass
Novice Bowyer
-I can make a bow from raw materials, and fletch my own arrows, but they're a long way away from anything a master bowyer would make.
Talented Fishery Worker
-I've done sustenance fishing before, and feel comfortable processing fugu.
Novice Leatherworker
-I can make leather crafts and utility items, as well as armor padding, but don't ask me to decorate it.
Novice Potter
-I can make bowls, plates, cups and vases of certain shapes, as well as construct and use a kiln and make my own glazes
Skilled Mechanic
-I have a degree in industrial engineering
Novice Alchemist
-Not the lead into gold type, but the early apothecary type (disclaimer: homeopathic medicine is not a replacement for modern medicine - seek medical help from a doctor or hospital if you can)
Skilled Metalsmith
-As I said above, I'm a professional blacksmith (and metalworker in general, I can weld and do machinist work as well).  I got into bladesmithing and amorsmithing recently.  There's a good market for a quality made helm.
Competent Administrator
-I've got some training in all the skills that make up that profession
Skilled Archer, Bowmen, Crossbowman
-I hit what I aim at with-in 18 inches at up to 80 yards using a recurve, longbow or traditional crossbow (40 yards).  No idea with a modern pistol grip crossbow or compound bow
Competent Blowgunner
-These things are fun as hell to play with
Skilled Axeman, Swordsman, Hammerman, Maceman, Pikeman, Spearman, Armor User, Shield User
-I'm a member of the SCA and compete in armor combat.  I'm authorized for all the above except hammer and mace, but I swing a hammer professionally and the skill translates.  I plan to join the Armored Combat League at some point which uses live steel and allows maces (as well as physically contact with your opponent, so you can drop kick them as long as you don't aim at the knee or neck) A friend of mine is on the American team and spend two weeks in Spain beating the shit out of people. (He's a personal injury defense attorney of all things too, so go figure)
Adept Thrower
-This is a highly, highly addicting activity that is insanely easy to pick up.  I prefer an axe or tomahawk to a knife, but I can nail a 12 inch target at up to 40 feet (depending on weight of the axe.  I throw a 16oz tomahawk for most competitions.)

All in all, I think I'd survive to die of old age in most of the worlds I've genned.  There's a couple that I probably wouldn't have survived childhood.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:36:54 pm by kasan »

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2014, 05:06:57 pm »

I would die during the first task given.
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Shaggard

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't need no arms to strangle, nor teeth to bite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2014, 12:01:14 am »

That's the spirit.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 09:27:44 am »

I'd probably sit around town all day carving cheap crafts and chatting with the drunks and cheese makers, so a long time in this version, barring adventurers, probably not so much in the next.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:19 am »

I could survive, probably to the end of my natural life if I stay out of trouble and make friends. I'm pretty good at dodging and lobbing projectiles (i love dodgeball!) but other than that I wouldnt do well in armed combat.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2014, 06:28:41 pm »

Replace the dodgeballs with giant serrated disks and you'd probably do just fine.
Regards,
Dampe

Teh Barple

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2014, 07:50:04 pm »

if you didn't say this and you wrote a paragraph saying how great you were, you really need to change your outlook

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2014, 10:05:49 am »

I'd probably survive just fine until the overseer noticed that I had skills in lye and soap making.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »

I am faster than a speeding bullet more powerful than a locomotive I am

Please understand I'm being humble here but I would outlast the world I'm in. I'd live forever and become king of everything just because of how good I am at things.

Not to brag or anything.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]