Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hard Alcohol  (Read 2943 times)

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hard Alcohol
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:11:54 pm »

While I was creating some beer irl, I recently got the idea, that it is far too easy to produce alcohol.

Compared to my novice-ish brewer skill, my knowledge in modding is not even worth to mention, so I have no idea if the following is even possible, BUT anyway:

How about the need of a barrel of fresh water as an aditional ingredient?
Also, alcohol doesn't magically appear when dropping fruit into a barrel. How about that instead, the first reaction creates an unusable mash which has to sit around fermenting in a stockpile for a certain amount of time (like 1 or 2 in-game months). After that it either transforms into a drinkable product (in case of beer or wine) or needs to be further distilled (whisky/vodka) consuming a unit of fuel (including the risk of a spontaneous explosion when done by an unskilled brewer :D )
Even more complicated recipes for special plants/drinks/potions are also worth to consider.

As mentioned, I have no clue if that is possible to implement, but I remember that in older versions (?), there was a mechanic which automatically transformed shaped clay objects through various stages of dryness till they could be fired propperly. The same mechanic could be implement for alcoholic interstage products... I guess?

Maybe I'm not the only one who thinks this rather insignificant detail would add a little bit more flavour :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Hard Alcohol
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 12:26:47 pm »

The issues with this is the dwarven AI.

If I tell them they need a barrel of water, they say "omg, we have no barrel of water, cancel the job". None of them would be smart enough to walk to a well to fill a barrel with water.

The only workaround is to make a custom "fill barrel with water" reaction in a custom workshop, but reactions don't support using liquids. That can only be done with dfhack. In fact, the handpump in the mod does it.

So... yes, I could make alcohol harder to make, but I would at the very least need dfhack for that. ;)

The second problem is that items can't transform with time (again, at least not without dfhack). So no "aging" of wine or whiskey can be done.

Lastly, I'd have to get rid of the vanilla DF reactions in the still.

I think it's a great idea, DF is just not set up that well for it.

As mentioned, I have no clue if that is possible to implement, but I remember that in older versions (?), there was a mechanic which automatically transformed shaped clay objects through various stages of dryness till they could be fired propperly. The same mechanic could be implement for alcoholic interstage products... I guess?
Yes and no, there was only 1 stage. Wet clay => custom reaction => fired clay.

It should still be there btw. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 01:42:50 pm »

What a pity, but thanks for the answer anyway!

The only workaround is to make a custom "fill barrel with water" reaction in a custom workshop, but reactions don't support using liquids.

That was my idea in the first place^^
Isn't lye a liquid used in a reaction?

Yes and no, there was only 1 stage. Wet clay => custom reaction => fired clay.

It should still be there btw.

Sorry, I rarely use clay anyway and wasn't sure anymore :P

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 03:17:27 pm »

Liquids can be used in reaction, I add kumis brewing to goblins. So you can remake vanilla alcohol that have name of distilled (rum, spirit, whiskey). And add distilled versions of alcohol, with more value.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 07:57:28 pm »

I said liquids. Not liquid_misc. ;)

Small difference. Liquids are water and magma, terrain features. Can't be used in reactions.

Liquid_misc (or drink) are the things in barrels, pots, etc. Those can be used in reactions.

Currently there is no way to tell dwarves to convert one to the other, except with the dfhack-using handpump workshop I made. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::