Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 194954 times)

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2014, 01:37:26 pm »

New problem. When I generate worlds I can't find anywhere suitable to embark. I need flux stone and a river, with metal deposits. Why is the world supposedly empty of flux stone almost everywhere? (Except in evil biomes)...

Is there a way to prospect (dfhack) from the map before embarking? I forget.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »

Use prospect and check it. If you have ores cranked to the max, flux will not show up on the list, but if you prospect, it is there. Look for marble, limestone,  and dolomite.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »

Anytime the archeologist starts working, or I queue something up to be researched (once it spawns the second research job), it generates jobs for absolutely everything that the building in question fires off automatically (It doesn't seem to be firing the ones that are done manually).  Which means that my research workshop has a billion jobs on it, each of which will need to be canceled.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And I am getting a bunch of "bowls" and such.  The Gemforge I was researching appears to have succeeded, though it announced a machine factory.  It created a (Research Supplies) rare bowl.  It seems that I can create most anything using any bowls, pots, ladles or mortars  (of which I seem to have a lot).  It looks like the glue generating job is also creating random bowls/ladles/mortars (since I have several "bloated tuber plant" versions).  Bundling wicker also created a wicker bowl, and I've got a sawdust mortar...

So it looks like the tools are all messed up.  (So yeah, what Tenderroast reported)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:51:47 pm by arbarbonif »

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2014, 06:58:57 pm »

Use prospect and check it. If you have ores cranked to the max, flux will not show up on the list, but if you prospect, it is there. Look for marble, limestone,  and dolomite.

Wait, so you CAN do that before embarking? For some reason I thought it was only after embarking.

Anyway it occurs to me that I could just use bone and import limestone.

I have other problems anyway. I embarked on the only location on the map that has everything except flux (haven't prospected for that yet, might be there).

Even a volcano and a river.

Turns out one of my original settlers was not only a miners guild member... he was also completely insane. Schizophrenic no less. He attacked my other guys and was killed about 5 minutes after embarking. Thanks a lot game!

And then the badger dog pups I brought with me went berserk and although I don't think they actually attacked anyone, they were interrupting all the jobs. I don't understand why. Even the dead schizophrenic guy was interrupting jobs according to the log. After he was dead!

Is that just the log lagging behind the game progress, or what?

Anyway should I just avoid taking badger dogs? Or are they OK (i.e. Don't interrupt every dwarf nearby) once war trained?

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2014, 07:28:04 pm »

I just downloaded the new version, whipped up a world and started playing a dwarf game.

Researched stoneforging, ended up with machine factory.  the item itself is a (researcher supplies) rare ladle

that seems ... odd.

when I went to take a screenshot the game crashed.

Upon repeat, watching the research the halfway step the research object was a (researcher supplies) detailed mortar.

Then the game crashed again.

after a few more tries the game consistently crashes when I try to look at the research building after the wonky results

that's what the research building looks like after it does 1 project.

edit: after more testing I've notice a couple of other oddities.  smelters don't make slag bars as a byproduct.  slag bowls and other slag finished goods are made instead.  I don't *need* to do research, because apparently minecarts can be used in place of the research bit in the buildings.  I did all this with a fresh new different world than the stuff above.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:37:54 pm by MightyPaladin »
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Rubicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »

Hey, just downloaded the latest and fired up gnomes for a try; got that duplicate raw bug, where you get bizarre stone types (embarked on a whole mountain of 'paralysing').

Has never happened to me before but I remember seeing people talk about it on the forums. Will try re-downloading.
in 5.0.1? argh, sounds like that bug is still there then. if you remember what options/profiles/tilesets you changed that would be very helpful to reproduce the problem.

Sure.

Settings: Tileset set to Phoebus. 'Digging stop' set to on.

Civilisations: only Gnomes set to playable in fortress mode. Succubus, Kobolds, Frost Giants and Automatons turned off completely. Drow set to evil.

Misc Features:  Aquifers, Harder Mining, Secret !FUN! and Diseases turned off. Food Variety turned on, all others in 'Additional Mods' turned off.

World Gen: Bogeymen set to zero, caves set to visible.

No other settings changed.
Generated a Mandelbrot fractal world. The one with the lake in the center.
Also, I remembered that I got a world gen crash initially, and had to restart the program and try again.

Hope it helps.

Netr0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2014, 09:12:41 pm »

I made 2 world gens and both times the top layer of sand/dirt/clay is called Magma. The layer before that is 'paralyzing'.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2014, 10:51:22 pm »

@mightypaladin. Redownload the archive. Fresh install, different folder from your other DF stuff. Same thing happened to me, you item_tools file got borked it sounds like. This issue has been cropping up ALOT ive noticed, but just re-install masterwork. You might be able to get the world to gen the same way, good luck with that (if you particularly love your embark choice)

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
  • [VILLAINOUS_THEMATIC: LIGHTBULBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2014, 10:55:48 pm »

@mightypaladin. Redownload the archive. Fresh install, different folder from your other DF stuff. Same thing happened to me, you item_tools file got borked it sounds like. This issue has been cropping up ALOT ive noticed, but just re-install masterwork. You might be able to get the world to gen the same way, good luck with that (if you particularly love your embark choice)

I have a fresh copy of Masterwork. Didn't install it over my old one. It was broke fresh out of the box. I downloaded it from the dropbox link about 6 hours ago.

Edit:I just redownloaded again, and the same issues are occurring. This time from the Dwarf Fortress File Depot. If the issue is JUST from the one RAW file, can you post your copy to pastebin or something? It'd be much MUCH less of a hassle to just delete and change the single raw file than to download a file over 50 megabytes in size with the chance of having the same issue occur.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:33:21 pm by Alestance »

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2014, 12:57:35 am »

the problem isnt the file, the problem is the file is NOT extracting properly from the .7z archive. Pull it out manually.

The problem is the LAUNCHER. If you change tile sets, it changes the raws for item_tool to be a 5kb file.

THE FIX temporary at least

If you change tilesets, open the archive and manually extract ITEM_TOOL into your raws.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:37:28 am by Tenderroast »

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2014, 01:44:14 am »

the problem isnt the file, the problem is the file is NOT extracting properly from the .7z archive. Pull it out manually.

Derp, now I feel dumb. It works now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 01:54:34 am »

Alestance, i was slightly wrong, the launcher is borking item_tool whenever you change tile sets.

Alestance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2014, 02:08:16 am »

Ah, well, that helps. I usually change the color set because I don't like default+. Either way, that's good to know.

Tenderroast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2014, 02:18:05 am »

i did not change the color scheme at all in my tests, but that might do it as well. I will have to check that.

DG123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2014, 07:04:21 am »

I have a bit of a problem...

When I start up Dwarf Fortress I'm getting (every single time) two error messages in the log.

First one:

"World is not loaded: please load a game first.
Could not enable plugin: fix-armory"

How can I load a game "first" when all I'm doing is running the program? And what is this failing to fix? How do I run that plugin?

Second one:

...5.01\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/construct-creature.lua:563: attempt to get length of global `args` <a nil value>
stack traceback:
...5.01\Dwarf Fortress\hack\scripts/construct-creature.lua:563: in main chunk
<...tail calls...>

What on earth does that mean?

And should the slash before "construct" really be in that direction? Might explain the problem if it's supposed to be \ not /

Obviously I have no idea how to fix that if it is.

Edit: Just checked the file paths in the actual game folders.

Yep, someone typed in the wrong slash somewhere. Whatever file tells Dwarf Fortress to look for the lua files has a typo in it.

But it seems this command is only related to spawning creatures made from materials like metal through a (manual?) command. Is this a problem at all for the game?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 07:43:49 am by DG123 »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 92