Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 195547 times)

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #960 on: October 19, 2014, 03:38:27 pm »

It works, it works!

Here's what it looks like:

The area around the magma well are grates, to allow the magma to fall away, and the walls keep the wizard from being pushed over the ledge.  She can activate the well, then move to one of the grates before she gets incinerated.  Huzzah!    :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #961 on: October 21, 2014, 11:02:43 pm »

Nice job :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 23, 2014, 11:12:07 am »

How does one replace golem oil?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:20:18 am by urmane »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: October 23, 2014, 11:35:25 am »

Pretty sure it's like the creature's blood, you can't replace it.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: October 23, 2014, 02:15:50 pm »

How does one replace golem oil?

Woah, that guy is pretty well used.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

ImmortalBrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: October 24, 2014, 03:36:23 pm »

I've decieded to make my own "text playthrough" of DF for my friends so that they can join me in this wonderful game/mod. (Can also post it there if you wish, though i'll have to translate it from russian to english first :) )

Anyway, i've been away from Masterwork for quite some time, and during my playthrough i've encountered various weird things:

1) Not getting any XP boost after strange mood (happened 3-4 times in a row). I was getting "Withdraws for society" or "Fey mood".
2) Having graphical glitches when using Rendermax Light + multi Z level view (although Meph posted a screenshot with both working)
3) The hell is this thing?! Ladle? Got it from a relic.
Sold it to elves for 240 \0/.
4) Has Meph removed Broodlords? or other ways to create mindless workers? God i hope he didn't. I am not able to get them from elven caravans. Any other way to make cheap work force? i play with mostly 0 migrants, so i have around 20 dwarves. Need some fodder and haulers.
5) Tried re-creating world several times - still no hematite. It apears i am not the only one who encountered that. All the iron i get is from praying (Although my legendary priest is pumping bars from the altar like a madman)

And a little suggestion: Can you please make "big" buildings (Like monastery) emit light? (like smeltery does)
Seems a bit wrong, doesn't it? No light inside.

P.S. Still struggling with poisoning. Is ther a way to make the reaction target a SPECIFIC weapon? like THAT ONE masterwork mithril longsword? and not some random rusty iron dagger... Tried it with custom stockpiles, it works, but it is still very annoying to do.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 04:44:20 pm by ImmortalBrain »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: October 24, 2014, 07:09:16 pm »

4) Has Meph removed Broodlords? or other ways to create mindless workers? God i hope he didn't. I am not able to get them from elven caravans. Any other way to make cheap work force? i play with mostly 0 migrants, so i have around 20 dwarves. Need some fodder and haulers.
I'd say to spend a bit of time into setting up an efficient stockpiles + minecart system.
It takes quite a bit of work to start it up (both from you and from your workers), but it can lighten the hauling of many goods by a big margin, freeing the hands of many for more important tasks.

I know it doesn't answer the question per say, because I didn't experience broodlords in the versions I played (both past and present).
5) Tried re-creating world several times - still no hematite. It apears i am not the only one who encountered that. All the iron i get is from praying (Although my legendary priest is pumping bars from the altar like a madman)
It's a bit odd, because hematite is usually present nearly everywhere.
Did you try to check different biomes (mountains, coast, plains, forests...)?

P.S. Still struggling with poisoning. Is ther a way to make the reaction target a SPECIFIC weapon? like THAT ONE masterwork mithril longsword? and not some random rusty iron dagger... Tried it with custom stockpiles, it works, but it is still very annoying to do.
You have a pretty nice tool at your disposal for this kind of thing, hit alt+a when you are on the task to open a nice little menu that will help you restrict the ingredients (more info in my sig).
It won't allow you to choose a specific weapon (so not this specific silver maul among the 50 you have), but you can specify it enough to make the it choose at least the weapon type and material you want.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: October 24, 2014, 07:33:34 pm »

Townportal can summon more dwarves, for a price. A legendary priest + coin press could churn out new dwarves fairly quickly.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

ImmortalBrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: October 24, 2014, 09:47:37 pm »

I'd say to spend a bit of time into setting up an efficient stockpiles + minecart system.
It takes quite a bit of work to start it up (both from you and from your workers), but it can lighten the hauling of many goods by a big margin, freeing the hands of many for more important tasks.

Yeah, my stockpiles are really a mess and i have never tried using minecarts before (hell, even wheelbarrows were new to me). Guess i'll read about them on the wiki.
I know it doesn't answer the question per say, because I didn't experience broodlords in the versions I played (both past and present).

Broodlords were churning out "mind controlled" dwarves. They were something like lobotomized ones you can make now - no real labors available apart from mining/hauling and possibly cheap fodder/guards. In my last fort i had 20-30 "real" dwarves and like 100 of those, guarding everything and hauling. Felt really similar to warlock fortress (with warlock overlords and skeleton fodder).
Oh well, i can still summon dwarves via town portal and lobotomize them afterwards for the same effect i guess :D.
You have a pretty nice tool at your disposal for this kind of thing, hit alt+a when you are on the task to open a nice little menu that will help you restrict the ingredients (more info in my sig).
It won't allow you to choose a specific weapon (so not this specific silver maul among the 50 you have), but you can specify it enough to make the it choose at least the weapon type and material you want.

Wow, thanks a lot! that is exactly what i was looking for!

Oh, and by the way, what is better? Bows/Xbows/Javelin throwers? My guess is that bows are the fastest and javelin throwers pack the biggest punch?

UristMcDuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: October 25, 2014, 12:47:34 am »

If I may, how would I go about making it so that Dwarfs can build Gnomish automated workshops?  I love the automated technology, but really want the options that Dwarfs alone get.  Is it as simple as altering the the ENTITY file and their permitted buildings?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: October 25, 2014, 06:45:03 am »

Crossbows, with the "repeated" augmentation are one of the deadliest weapons of the game, especially when you make use of the correct ammo type for the enemy (piercing, cutting or blunt).
Technically, the damage per shot is slightly lower than the spear/javelin/axe throwers, but the very high fire rate more than makes up for this, and the ammo stacks are bigger, so less reload trips (25 bolts for 10 javelins).

The upgrade only takes a few mechanisms at the fletcher's workshop.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #971 on: October 25, 2014, 07:12:21 am »

If I may, how would I go about making it so that Dwarfs can build Gnomish automated workshops?  I love the automated technology, but really want the options that Dwarfs alone get.  Is it as simple as altering the the ENTITY file and their permitted buildings?
Yes, you could permit the workshops and reactions.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: October 25, 2014, 11:37:01 am »

Yeah, my stockpiles are really a mess and i have never tried using minecarts before (hell, even wheelbarrows were new to me). Guess i'll read about them on the wiki.

This is what my workshop floor looks like (and if you look at the two floors below you can see the way the raw stone comes up from the mines).  It's very efficient hauling and storing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 03:21:53 pm by qorthos »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: October 25, 2014, 03:05:04 pm »

Back when the DF34 version of MDF was released (the first one, years ago), I played around with the wagons, and even made a system that had rails able to access every floors, from the surface to the magma sea, two lanes to make it possible for multiple carts to run along, and I made most of my stockpiles and workshop use it.

It was a big work, and mostly for fun, but I encourage anyone not knowing carts too well to make such a test fort, where you try to use every parts of the carts and the stockpiles, because it allows for really nice things, like an other use of quantum dumps into actual stockpiles.

Many things are confusing at first, from the stop conditions to the ways to make the carts move, going through routes and how to prevent carts from flying everywhere (or making use of it).

Someone knowing how to use carts could in theory deliver goods from one end of a fort to an other in very little time, use it to transport a lot of heavy items at once, or even weaponize the carts as parts of the defence.

ImmortalBrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: October 26, 2014, 05:45:04 pm »

This is what my workshop floor looks like (and if you look at the two floors below you can see the way the raw stone comes up from the mines).  It's very efficient hauling and storing.
Thanks for sharing, nice setup  :). Took some ideas and even invented a way i can implement them.
A little bit unrelated - why did you build your bedrooms in soil/sand/clay levels? You can't smooth/engrave them, thus dwarves sleeping there don't gain any good thoughts, or am i wrong?

Played a little bit more and noticed some more...bugs i guess?

1) If you get a legendary weapon at the Weaponry you get BOTH a superior one and a legendary one at the same time (guess this one is known).
2) Still no exp boost from strange moods.
3) No option to build a golemforge? i can still research one.
4) I've managed to replicate my old issue with poisons - they simply vanish. It was OK for some time (i was using them to a great effect), but after a siege (it was raining also btw) they simply vanished. Still unable to check if rune-coating will also dissapear, but i guess it also will.

Also...i dont really like that dwarves are losing options (like selling stuff for gold, expeditions, power armor) every patch because of new races. Yes, i agree that all races must be unique, but taking away already existing features because "another race already has that" ? Now i feel dwarves are lacking endgame or generally "features". Like seriously, i've come to endgame and i have nothing to do apart from mages (which are generally useless, annoying to make, buggy and are a huge danger to your fort in the first place). Being "best" at metal-making seems weird and boring, especially considering 3 priests make a RIDICULOUS amount of resources for free. The only time i was in need of some metal ( while having 0 miners ) was when i required nikel for spring-steel. After you've removed welded metals i see no point in using any progression apart from gem-->steel-->mithril/wolfram. This also makes 90% of items found in relics useless because you should already have better stuff.

Also, in the earlier versions trading with caravans was a huge deal. There were lots of unique things you could only get by trading (like blueprints). Now there are very few of them left. Is it possible to add other race's "unique" building blueprints to caravans? Or maybe someone else will have a better idea, i dunno. But really, the more races were added, the less interesting it is for me to play as dwarves.

Just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:32:16 am by ImmortalBrain »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 92