Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode  (Read 99328 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode
« Reply #255 on: October 12, 2014, 04:13:17 am »

Yes the ceramics overhaul definitely borked up ceramics production for orcs and kobolds, and as far as i can tell, glazing for all races.  (i've tried reimplementing production for orcs with a new workshop, but I'm not sure i did it right)

I think there are no valid reagents for [REACTION:MAKE_GLAZE_ASH] because cassiterite in MDF now lacks the MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:GLAZE_MAT, and ash may have never had it, being hardcoded rather than using a reaction product in the vanilla reaction according to wiki.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:25:53 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 12, 2014, 04:47:05 am »

I don't know about glazing, but you can't fire greenware goods in masterwork on purpose, you have to dry them to "bone-dry" goods first. It's to keep clay-working from being over-powered since it's basically free stuff otherwise.

Where/how do you dry them?, and if you know, which modes does it work in? 

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2014, 09:19:16 am »

Other than glazing, pottery works fine in kobold camp. There is no drying needed for the bolds, just shape and fire it up and you're done. When you shape pottery for the bolds they give you greenware stuff, I think it's listed as tool_whatever_fake in one of the raws. You could try copy the pottery system over from the bolds to remove the drying part of the pottery making process although the drying reactions are supposed to be done automatically I think. Haven't played the dwarves or orcs lately so I wouldn't know.

Edit: After looking through the raws, Orcs make clay stuff from the goblin muckraker shanty building. It seems to have reactions to directly make clay items, it shapes AND fires them up in one quick and clean reaction, all you need is the clay/fire clay and fuel.
2nd Edit: Further inspection into the raws lead me to believe only the dwarves have the drying reactions or atleast their pottery stuff needs to be dried before firing them up.
3rd Edit: I think the standardization options is what causing the problem with glazing? Instead of making powders, you could edit the kiln to accept ash and etc directly and apply the glaze from there. Downside would be that it would use the entire material for the reaction. You would also have to add the glazes in inorganic_other.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:29:27 pm by NeoxDark »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2014, 12:26:14 pm »

yes the Muckraker was what i referred to when i said "(i've tried reimplementing production for orcs with a new workshop, but I'm not sure i did it right)".  I'm pretty sure the material in the product is not right, the product will be neither "porcelain" nor "greenware porcelain" but instead raw "kaolinite".  It's not straightforward to have it go straight to porcelain.   If i have it go to greenware, I wouldn't know what the next step is since don't know how to dry it, which is why i asked above how that is supposed to work :)

i don't see the drying reactions for dwarf mode in raws, and haven't gotten around to exploring in game yet.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:29:52 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2014, 12:38:05 pm »

I cut the drying, people didnt like it. It also lead to problems of 1 pottery starting the drying, then dwarves carried the item to another pottery, continued drying there, and because its AUTOMATIC, the reaction gets queued on all potteries at the same time, lots of job cancellations...

tl;dr: You shape an item, you fire an item. Done. No drying.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 12, 2014, 12:45:17 pm »

So the bone-dry and leather-hard ceramics in inorganic_other is like leftover raws from when you removed the drying process or is it exclusive to dwarf only reactions?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #261 on: October 12, 2014, 01:12:51 pm »

they are leftovers.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 12, 2014, 02:01:56 pm »

thanks, all.  think i get it now.
can anyone confirm whether glazing works for kobolds in v6.x, or is that still an issue?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #263 on: October 12, 2014, 03:17:44 pm »

Glazing doesnt exist in MDF. It wasnt used by anyone, although I made the mistake of not knowing about the liquid-storage thing in containers. I thought that stoneware/earthenware would be fine.

From my point of view unglazed items should be able to store food/liquids. Unrealistic maybe, but who would collect clay, shape it, make fuel, burn it, make more fuel, glaze it... if you can just use a boulder to make a rock pot.

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 12, 2014, 05:26:35 pm »

Well it gives my bolds more stuff to do :P but yeah it makes sense when you put it that way. Stoneware works like vanilla just fine but I happened to embark somewhere there is no fire clay. :(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 05:36:54 pm by NeoxDark »

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 14, 2014, 01:52:03 pm »

So I noticed I can make glass pikes in the glassblower. However aren't pikes too big to be used by the kobolds? Maybe I'm missing something here. Just a minor detail, nothing big.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #266 on: October 14, 2014, 02:39:37 pm »

Upright spear/spike traps ;)

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 14, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »

Actually here's another thing, the refurbish tent to glassblower reaction is missing entirely.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:53:35 pm by NeoxDark »

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 14, 2014, 07:50:01 pm »

I was playing my first fort with the bolds when my cart (that I had failed to disassemble; it was sitting next to water and didn't want to risk stuff falling in) spontaneously combusted and burned the map. Yeah, I was in a "Hot" biome, but I didn't realize it could be *THAT* hot... ???

Not to mention that the world had generated without giving the bolds access to jack rats, and I had started with the rat farmer setup, so I tried to make do with more pet war reptiles. I probably just didn't give the world enough history time, but I wanted to make sure I had access to all of the races.

NeoxDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 15, 2014, 06:57:16 am »

I never heard of an embark wagon spontaneously combusting before.  :o And having no access to jack rats? Are you sure you enabled only kobolds and not dwarves as playable civs during world gen? I would suggest genning a new world using recommended settings or preset world gen templates like garden of Gaia or something.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41