Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode  (Read 98567 times)

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2014, 02:52:44 am »

well, i never had big problems with the clay industry...
if you embark on a flat heavily forested site, you can make enough coal in the smelter (better ratio than woodburner or firepit!) so that peat is not really necessary or just a bonus.
The setup is made quite fast, without the need of butchering the whole lifestock and the output once its running way higher than making glass.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:55:29 am by razorback »

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 04:16:47 am »

Also, glass needs bags to keep sand in, which means (at least) an extra production step, access to another material, and more micromanagement / brute force overstocking required.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 07:14:53 am »

So in the end the feedback is:
 - Make jackrats harder. Longer child time, less children, or less meat/bones each, or higher prices.
 - Make clay easier. Maybe no drying steps. (Only greenware, no leather-hard and bone-dry items)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2014, 07:46:36 am »

I think the shrapnel traps are broken. I had some badgers walk into them, and the shrapnel simply passed through.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:11 am »

So in the end the feedback is:
 - Make jackrats harder. Longer child time, less children, or less meat/bones each, or higher prices.
 - Make clay easier. Maybe no drying steps. (Only greenware, no leather-hard and bone-dry items)

1: I'm thinking something along the lines of: Jack rat NEWBORNS have less/no meat bones. That way you have to wait for them to grow up to get the butchering returns. A slightly reduced litter size would also help balance them.

2: Maybe we could bring back the batch kiln? As stolen kobold technology[Altar to Griblin is mostly useless anyways]? With the extra step of greenware and maybe slightly reduced effiency from the overpowered old batch kiln, I think it'd make clay a viable option. Especially if its fire clay.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:03 am »

I don't know how much altering jackrats will really help. The issue is mostly with DF as a whole. You could run your meet industry on mastiffs, unicorns, or ogres if you really needed too, it just takes longer to get started. Once you get a high enough breeding population, the mechanics of reproduction start getting a bit extreme. Jackrats just hit that point really quickly.

One thing that would be great (and it would probably require a df-hack script to make it work) would be to randomize pregnancy times for animals entering the map. Right now, I find that the first year as kobolds is pretty tough, as one has to wait until all of your jackrats have children almost at the same time in the middle of the first winter.

Removing one of the drying steps from pottery would help reduce the action-economy cost down to that of glass.

I think that clay bricks (which can just be sun-dried in reality) shouldn't require a firing step to make. Drying them should be enough to make them usable. Possibly baking them into stoneware could increase their value and make them lighter. Alternatively (and this is kind of weird) you could use the pottery to make 'wet clay bricks' which count as -seeds-. Planting the brick seeds would represent your citizens leaving them outside to dry. The resulting 'plants' could get processed into working bricks at the Pottery. This might interact weirdly with the existing farming mechanics though, in that more efficient farmers would make more bricks...

Is anyone else unable to make normal planks? I can make polished wood into planks, but not normal wood.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2014, 01:09:27 pm »

Is anyone else unable to make normal planks? I can make polished wood into planks, but not normal wood.

You have to smooth the planks at the Sawmill first to make them into planks. It works similar to the drying clay thing in that it adds an extra step in exchange for extra efficiency. You can't smooth wood stalk logs though, which is sort of annoying.
Spooky Signature

jackfractal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2014, 07:41:18 pm »

My problem with the wood industry is that it boosts your wealth too high, even if you're just using the smoothed wood for planks. All generated wealth is counted, and the process of converting wood into smooth wood generates quite a bit of wealth.

This makes early sieges extremely likely if you're building your walls mostly from wood.

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2014, 04:19:57 am »

Just a small request:
I would really appreciate if it would be possible to produce bone arrows in the fletcher

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 05:08:14 am »

Just a small request:
I would really appreciate if it would be possible to produce bone arrows in the fletcher
Cant you make bone arrows in the craftsbold?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

razorback

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2014, 08:20:30 am »

nope, just blowdarts, bolas and bullets

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2014, 08:23:04 am »

Ok, thanks. Thought they could do that. I add it to the list.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2014, 11:21:14 am »

Breeding Warren isn't working for me. Latest version 5.01.
Spooky Signature

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:09 am »

Breeding Warren isn't working for me. Latest version 5.01.
I'll have a quick look, but it should work just fine.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2014, 11:25:47 am »

I don't understand the breeding warren. How does a fully grown Kobold magically materialize from leather and meat?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41