Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode  (Read 97781 times)

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode
« Reply #330 on: December 04, 2014, 07:55:24 am »

Does bonemeal have any non-flux uses? I know that it's listed as an economic stone and can be 'activated', but I'm wondering if I'm being a bit gamey in doing that (especially as kobolds).

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2014, 04:41:52 pm »

I once made an entire dwarf-fort* out of ground-up dead vermin, I guess it's only an exploit if you have no other way of getting stone as it's incredibly time-ineffecient compared to making bone blocks out of jackrats or just digging up some dolomite.

*Walls, houses, furniture, stone-block armor, etc.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:43:57 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 04, 2014, 06:40:00 pm »

I get a bunch of bonemeal as a by-product of my (witch) doctors practicing surgery or whatever, and I'm not sure what to do with it all except for squish it or sell it...

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 05, 2014, 09:58:18 am »

If you turn it noneconomic, bonemeal is basically just another stone usable by any workshop that consumes stone boulders- like the vanilla mason shop. I'd consider it okay for the kobolds, since they're fairly small so a pile of crushed bone is a lot bigger to them than it is to orcs, dwarves and humans- you can consider it to be an alternate form of pottery or something.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 10, 2014, 07:38:05 pm »

I'll use it as a cheap material to train up jewelry skills, and I suppose it would be a bit kobold-y to cover things in small bits of organic matter. Since bonemeal is more of a powder than a stone, I suppose the 'cutting' labor could involve the kobold mixing it with his/her urine as an artistic statement; they're part dog, right?

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 17, 2014, 01:21:19 pm »

I just registered into the forums just to congratulate to you for your work.

I have a question: did you pur out of the mod the scrapwood? Since I'm playing a kobold fort (and I love it!) but the woods surrounding me are going to totally end in a matter of time, and I could need more more more wood just to make simple things like bedroom sets, walls (and fortifications) and coal, which seems to be never enough for my fort in those last years.

That and another thing: it seems that my stray jack rats are gone into a total sterile being: I used to butcher lot's of newborns, but nowadays my kobolds haven't saw a ratburger for years. It's a game matter? Pets have a total set number of births?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 17, 2014, 09:57:10 pm »

Wood stalk is very helpful for getting sustainable wood and I usually use bone or leather for furniture and blocks anyways. Not so sure about the jack rats, I've never encountered anything like that.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 18, 2014, 05:08:33 am »

Wood stalk is very helpful for getting sustainable wood and I usually use bone or leather for furniture and blocks anyways. Not so sure about the jack rats, I've never encountered anything like that.
My seed stockpile is pretty empty, I didn't embarked with any plant since the carnivorous state of my little friends and those fast breeding jack rats.
And now I'm in a middle of a human siege, surrended, protected by just my walls and cage traps, without wood, juice, jack rat meat and jack rat bone/leather. And some of my militia bolds are missing limbs, since the last siege where I couldn't pay for the wood for the sweat lodge.
At least I have fish and two gremlings (which I have from the very beginning of the fort, a male and a female, but they seems to not like each other, no little gremlings for me), but bones are starting to finish too...

And by the way, my other pets (keas, badgers and giant jack rats) can make their offspring just fine, closed in their nice earth holes. Jack rats, instead, stay disciplined and sterile (I have tons of females which used to make lots of baby rats and two or three males... which seems to have lost joy of the act).

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:52 pm »

If you're already locked down, just steal wood from centaurs/elves/whoever has it on repeat. More sieges can only hurt your FPS, not your bolds. Its usually at this point that I start deconstructing wooden workshops and replacing them with things made of more common materials.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Zuzu Reish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 18, 2014, 11:33:44 pm »

What about the Booze Burner? That should help your wood supply, assuming you use wood for fuel.

I have a two quick (inter-related) questions: if a kobold is wearing a cloak with dye on it, will he/she receive the bonus? Alternatively, if that's the case, if a Kobold is wearing a cloak and an armor that both have the same dye bonuses, do they stack in any way? I'm wondering if it would be alright to shift my Kobolds from wearing lamellar leather (body) armor to metal plated hides, but I know that their comparative advantage is the warpaint and I don't want to dilute that in any way.

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 19, 2014, 04:12:42 am »

If you're already locked down, just steal wood from centaurs/elves/whoever has it on repeat. More sieges can only hurt your FPS, not your bolds. Its usually at this point that I start deconstructing wooden workshops and replacing them with things made of more common materials.
Man, you're right! But I didn't make even a candle for now (I cannot find where they do those, and my OCD doesn't let me to use just the job manager). But this idea is very good (after the siege I should also replace wooden walls with wooden plank walls).
What about the Booze Burner? That should help your wood supply, assuming you use wood for fuel.

I have a two quick (inter-related) questions: if a kobold is wearing a cloak with dye on it, will he/she receive the bonus? Alternatively, if that's the case, if a Kobold is wearing a cloak and an armor that both have the same dye bonuses, do they stack in any way? I'm wondering if it would be alright to shift my Kobolds from wearing lamellar leather (body) armor to metal plated hides, but I know that their comparative advantage is the warpaint and I don't want to dilute that in any way.
Man, you're right too! Booze for fuel, I really forget that!
Dunno about the paints, since I didn't reach that point in my fort.

I also have another question: I think I have successfully armed my troll pet with a log (since he does his aoe slam attack), but it seems I cannot armor him with my complete sets. I don't know if my bolds just use parts of sets in rattlebone I've made, or for some bugs I cannot equip the troll.
Anyone has encountered a problem like this?
Ps: it's not a pasture problem, since I've read on the manual that the troll must stay on the bed and on the square adiacent it, it's in the workshop: the "equip troll with log" is green, while the armor ones are red choises.

Vitellozzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 23, 2014, 11:06:40 am »

Double post, since my last one was for another topic of this thread, and it's 5 days old.

I think kobolds should have a way to make sets of clothing even from leather, since the main game let you make cloth or leather shirts, so should work for the "set" task: it is very useful if you have cloth, but for instance my fortress didn't have any and I had to type every kind of item of the set "leather kilt" "leather necklace" "leather ankle band".

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 23, 2014, 12:39:24 pm »

My question may sound kinda...um, cheesy, but what is the difference between "Craft candle(%material name%)" and "Craft %material name% candle"? I guess its not a kobold-specific thing, but since I've played only as them, asking here.
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #343 on: December 23, 2014, 12:44:59 pm »

My question may sound kinda...um, cheesy, but what is the difference between "Craft candle(%material name%)" and "Craft %material name% candle"? I guess its not a kobold-specific thing, but since I've played only as them, asking here.
They are literally the same.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 23, 2014, 04:24:10 pm »

Thanks. I've got two more questions, actually. What is the purpose of bone studs? And is it possible to assign a room for animal man (my bolds elected honey badger man as their sublime ruler, and he seems pretty serious about this job)?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 41