Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41

Author Topic: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode  (Read 98551 times)

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Kobolds☼ - Everything Kobold Mode
« Reply #540 on: July 30, 2016, 09:59:08 pm »

In the most recent version, I cannot make Hatchets or other starting wooden tools at the carpenter workshop. On embark I get normal training dwarf tools, such as Training Axes and Training Swords. These weapons are way too big for Kobolds and make it so you cannot gather wood, making it actually unplayable. The only options I changed was to make Kobolds playable, remove skulking, allow training for all animals, and add shovels. You can not embark with training hatchets and you can not make them at the carpenter's workshop anymore.

Edit: I checked other workshops too, such as the bone chipper, and it seems the only one that is having this problem is the Carpenter workshop. You can still make hatchets out of bone, so just bring some throwaway rats to start. I also checked the game with all the options on default and it still has this issue.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:03:44 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 31, 2016, 06:40:42 pm »

In the most recent version, I cannot make Hatchets or other starting wooden tools at the carpenter workshop. On embark I get normal training dwarf tools, such as Training Axes and Training Swords. These weapons are way too big for Kobolds and make it so you cannot gather wood, making it actually unplayable. The only options I changed was to make Kobolds playable, remove skulking, allow training for all animals, and add shovels. You can not embark with training hatchets and you can not make them at the carpenter's workshop anymore.

Edit: I checked other workshops too, such as the bone chipper, and it seems the only one that is having this problem is the Carpenter workshop. You can still make hatchets out of bone, so just bring some throwaway rats to start. I also checked the game with all the options on default and it still has this issue.

Looking through patch notes I missed, I noticed this, "Stopped woodcutters from using axes without edges (like training axes)" -42.03 patchnotes. So Toady removed the ability to use training axes as woodcutting tool, and I assume this means things with the [TRAINING] tag now cannot be used to cut trees, though I haven't tested this. I would just leave a note in the manual suggesting taking some throwaway rats to make axes.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 02, 2016, 10:47:13 pm »

I hate to fill this topic with my dumb posts, but I cannot figure out for the life of me where I turn Cobaltite and Bonemold into weapons and armor. Bonemolder workshop only produced the bars, but not the armor. I doubt it is at the Metalsmith's Forge because it is impossible to get an anvil unless you embark on a dwarven ruin. I can see it in Work Orders, but I cannot figure out what workshop creates the gear.
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2016, 12:21:32 am »

I doubt it is at the Metalsmith's Forge because it is impossible to get an anvil unless you embark on a dwarven ruin.

Nope, it IS the Metalsmith's Forge. You gotta melt down iron/steel bars from invaders and then use the make anvil reactions in the smelter.

Mind you, cobalt hatchets/glass pointy sticks with hardened leather are actually quite robust when you take kobolds' natural dodging aptitudes into account. Plus you can have a much larger military then usual because of their low-hanging tech tree and high growth rate. Bonemold honestly seems like it'd just slow your weak and small bolds down with its weight[Its equivalent to Iron in weight, isn't it?]. I mean, kobolds slow to a crawl carrying LOGS, something dwarves can haul relatively speedily. Full metal armour sounds kind of counterproductive.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2016, 03:17:11 pm »

I doubt it is at the Metalsmith's Forge because it is impossible to get an anvil unless you embark on a dwarven ruin.

Nope, it IS the Metalsmith's Forge. You gotta melt down iron/steel bars from invaders and then use the make anvil reactions in the smelter.

Mind you, cobalt hatchets/glass pointy sticks with hardened leather are actually quite robust when you take kobolds' natural dodging aptitudes into account. Plus you can have a much larger military then usual because of their low-hanging tech tree and high growth rate. Bonemold honestly seems like it'd just slow your weak and small bolds down with its weight[Its equivalent to Iron in weight, isn't it?]. I mean, kobolds slow to a crawl carrying LOGS, something dwarves can haul relatively speedily. Full metal armour sounds kind of counterproductive.

Thank you. Now on the subject of weapons, I always tend to use Spears out of habit, but are Large Daggers good at all? I like the idea of having people armed with daggers, but I am afraid they won't be effective.
TAIL SHOOOOES!

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 08, 2016, 01:57:33 pm »

Um..Mind pointing out where that Anvil reaction is for me? Cause I do not see any anvil reaction in the smelter for kobolds.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2016, 03:51:39 pm »

Um..Mind pointing out where that Anvil reaction is for me? Cause I do not see any anvil reaction in the smelter for kobolds.

Huh, kobolds DON'T have that reaction. I thought they did, since most of the other races do, and it showed up in the manager screen when I searched for it.

This is probably an oversight, since bonemold and cobaltite are useless without anvils and kobolds specifically have the ability to obtain those materials. I'd personally pretend kobolds have that reaction and destroy three iron bars while spawning an anvil with DFhack. Its not like kobolds have reliable access to metals and they still can't make steel. There's also the "embark in dwarven ruins" option, but I feel that cave starts work better thematically for bolds.
Spooky Signature

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #547 on: August 08, 2016, 05:14:47 pm »

True, but you can always embark with an anvil or buy one from a caravan... just like dwarves do in vanilla DF.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 08, 2016, 06:07:11 pm »

True, but you can always embark with an anvil or buy one from a caravan... just like dwarves do in vanilla DF.
My caravans never seem to carry Anvils and I do not see the option at embark, even when every item is removed from my starting supplies. I cannot even ask for Anvils when the liaison comes, it just isn't an option. The only time I have ever found Anvils as the Kobolds is when I embark on a Dwarven/Kobold ruins. There is no reaction at the smelter to make one like people said, and I believe Kobolds cannot get anvils because anvils are only made from Iron or Steel, which are unavailable to Kobolds.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:10:54 pm by dirkdragonslayer »
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 08, 2016, 07:02:41 pm »

My caravans never seem to carry Anvils and I do not see the option at embark, even when every item is removed from my starting supplies. I cannot even ask for Anvils when the liaison comes, it just isn't an option. The only time I have ever found Anvils as the Kobolds is when I embark on a Dwarven/Kobold ruins. There is no reaction at the smelter to make one like people said, and I believe Kobolds cannot get anvils because anvils are only made from Iron or Steel, which are unavailable to Kobolds.

^This. Kobolds don't get anvils natively. No idea how they manage to make cobalt stuff offscreen.
Spooky Signature

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: August 09, 2016, 12:02:28 am »

Another note. Did something happen to the Milk token for some of the Kobold creatures? I have a Helmet Snake, 2 Giant Bark Scorpions, and 2 Charity Dire Spiders, all adults. I also got a dozen Baby scorpions, and some GCS Spiderlings, and 4 Charity Dire Spider Children. Only the 2 Charity Dire Spider Adults are being Milked for their venom. Whats up with that? There are no Burrows, or locked doors between the creatures and the Farmers workshop.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 12:06:23 am by chaosfiend »

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 09, 2016, 12:16:47 am »

^This. Kobolds don't get anvils natively. No idea how they manage to make cobalt stuff offscreen.

I have just learned to embark on ruins, preferably near a river. The river provides a food source, the rooms are already dug into the ground with some furniture so I do not have to spend the first 2-3 years building apartment complexes, and you can usually find anvils are weapons in them so you can start a military up. Downside is you typically find Demons, Forgotten Beasts, and Bandits, so you need to embark with a team prepared to fight one of those and preferably keep half of your bolds alive.

Sadly my most recent embark is my attempt to create a proper hamlet with standardized 9x9 buildings with proper streets and everything, turned out great. It looks like a real city, with city blocks, bone statues instead of street lights, and districts holding different related workshops. The armory district is frightfully bare though, because the only workshops needed are the Glassblower, Leather Trimmer, Wood Burner, and Glass Furnace which fill 2 buildings. This leaves the other 4 buildings empty save for a few vermin remains, no reason to put other workshops like a Bonemolder, smelter, or any sort of stockpiles.
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #552 on: August 09, 2016, 08:33:29 am »

dirkdragonslayer, that sounds cool. Can you upload some screenshots? :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

vonsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:19 pm »

Current download.

Not being able to embark with more than 7 bolds is painful.

Why no juices/teas on embark?  Lots of dwarf drinks.  Carrot wine, ew.

Especially with the default no shovel setting, bolds need drink.  Wells are a greater challenge with no way to dig.  River/stream embarks can build an above the water well, but that usually means exposure to hostiles that is avoided with a dug, central well.  (Unless you turn off swimmer sorts of enemies and wall around the water supply.)  Above ground wells also freeze even if covered over.  Have adapted to making tea and juice in winter, otherwise the bolds all run over to biome 3 that doesn't freeze to drink from the stream there.

I think I will stick with shovels but no rock digging.  I can't picture bolds not being able to dig dirt and such.

Miss the thievery stuff...  ::)

Edit:  It appears enabling shovels does not enable shovels.  Can't dig dirt or clay.  Back to plan B. 

Naming issue in Wood Carver.  "Lorry" is "minecart" there.  Builds a minecart too.

Can we get option to make a set of leather clothes (as opposed to armor... civilian garb) in Leather Trimmer?  Can make single pieces but only armor sets.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:06:59 am by vonsch »

Gotham123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 26, 2016, 10:42:29 am »

I have a question: Which skill does the Bola and Sling use for Ranged Weaponry?.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 41