Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rare Gems. Do they happen? Ever?  (Read 2064 times)

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
Rare Gems. Do they happen? Ever?
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:33:37 am »

Quantum Texture Variation is great, infinite world possibilities and all that, a set of 20 isn’t sufficient for decent statistical significance analysis but still …

Gen’ed 20 new worlds, testing to see the variance of rare gem appearance in both Reborn and Masterwork 6.2 .  The worlds were all new parameters, Diverse, 100 years, minerals 200 (high) and for Masterwork, “simple gems, simple minerals, simple stones” OFF.  In none of the worlds in any biome were there any yellow diamonds, star rubies or any other of the rare gems.  This was confirmed by DFHack prospect all after embark and createitem commands, and the latter only works if there is at least one of the whatever from procedural generation.  Many rubies, never a star ruby.

Is this a Masterwork glitch or are my guys just that lucky?  Does anyone else come across rare gems in their worlds? 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Rare Gems. Do they happen? Ever?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:14:07 am »

In my Human fortress of GhostlyTaught, much of my income came from digging up emeralds out of "rubble" rock, they only occurred in single-tile clusters but I found like 3 dozen of the gems before FUN happened.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:54:12 pm »

Damn ... more than a month, coming up on 500 views, I was really hoping somebody would chime in with a "oh, yeah, I've got 'em in my fortress." 

Sigh.
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 09:41:01 pm »

Rare gems are rare more because they only show up in specific places than because they're not statistically likely to show up in general. Diamonds are rare because they can only be found in the kimberlite deposits under the Jaded Points or whatever, not because there's only one or two diamonds per embark.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 04:21:29 pm »

So you either have a bunch or none? Kewl, and realistic, but rather sad.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

SabbyKat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:10:27 pm »

To pitch in, of my well over 100 forts (in the old 6.2 version).

~ Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby - fairly common. Extremely common to see these rare gems in SCHIST rock layers.

~ Diamonds - sporadic. mostly single clusters, with the rare multi-cluster. I cannot recall where I see these, but they are some what common (I can confirm almost every single world generates these).

~ Star Rubies, Yellow Diamonds, etc - I have NOT seen them a single time in 100+ forts in 6.2.

~ Pyrite and Amethyst seem to be the overwhelmingly abundant gem type I see (normally with 'simplified gems OFF').

~ Not relevant, but to note Malachite (Copper ore) is overwhelmingly the most abundant Ore as well, by up to 6x+ the rate of the next most abundant. I wonder if ores and gems 'compete' in some sense for spawning? Especially with gems who need specific 'stone veins' to grow in... *rubs head*

So I'm not sure if I've just had HORRID luck, or something really is busted and they aren't spawning.

EDIT:

~ After 40+ embarks (I prospect all in the actual map, before confirming if an evil cloud is thralling, etc, searching for a 'perfect map') and I have seen Diamonds, Sapphires, Emeralds, and Rubies galore. Not a single Star Sapphire, yellow Diamond, etc etc has appeared, anywhere. Will continue my hunt ad notes. Though, this version IS old, so when Meph gets the new one done I'll shift my focus to confirming there.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:19:26 pm by SabbyKat »