Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57

Author Topic: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode  (Read 106376 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Warlocks☼ - Everything Warlock Mode
« Reply #570 on: November 10, 2014, 05:35:46 am »

Yes Warlocks have a normal Forge. Yes it functions like a vanilla/mdf forge.

If you need more anvils, create a Stonecutters workshop, you should be able to make anvils from blocks there (Make anvil from 3 blocks). They work like normal anvils (need magmaproof blocks for magmaproof anvils), so you dont need to hope for caravan/raid loot.

I think only dwarves can make rock anvils at the stonecutter, but some races (warlocks included) can make an anvil at the smelter from metal bars, rather than needing a forge (and thus anvil) to make more.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:38:14 am by Niveras »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 10, 2014, 06:35:59 am »

I somehow managed to start the game with an overlord pre-selected, is he going to be a problem while I get set up?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Nevermind, the game crashed for some reason.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:49:21 am by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 10, 2014, 03:08:34 pm »

Overlords are just a very rare caste of warlock, so it is possible for one to be generated "naturally" rather than through the Overlord's Throne and the dfhack scripts that make the change.

It is even possible to have multiple overlords this way; however, I'm not sure what happens you try to assign another warlock as overlord. I presume the script doesn't keep track of what warlock is what so it may cycle all through warlocks to demote a present overlord before installing the new one, but if it's poorly designed (in the sense of not considering all possible situations), and you have more than one overlord, it may only demote one of them. (If I knew which script it was that handles this I'd look deeper, but the one script referencing the overlord has to do with items somehow, didn't find anything that affects a unit itself.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:13:43 pm by Niveras »

___MeRliN___

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 10, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »

So I decided to give the warlocks a shot, mainly to test them a little and to see how much has changed in the clown circus.

Got as soon as I sneaked in without a ticket visited by the angry clowns in their car... well expected to be doomed since some enemies (Frost Wraith, Some Procedurly genned overpowered "ankylosaurus" clowns with some kind of neurotoxin stinger launch, fire man clowns (not the good kind who save your life eventually))... I found myself with 2 skeletons, 1 ghoul, 2 dead warlocks and a lot of killed ghouls and annihilated skeletons and the overlord being hurt badly, but apparently not badly enough to die any time soon ("just" some fractured bones and thats it). The rest? Some skeletons, ghouls in Ironbone and some in bloodsteel, 2 other warlocks all dead... But at the end it didnt even matter, why? They ran in, got killed. Overlord moved in... and damn it... a damn killing spree before an icewraith was capable of stopping her killing spree. She was the only one armored in adamantine and wielding propper weapons if that matters anything.

So is this a thing that warlock overlords seem to go on a killing spree on those clowns or is it just me getting incredible lucky with this? To be quite frank I really expected to be dead as this was nothing but a test how hard the circus could be before I send my dwarfs in my other currently running fortress down there to their circus (hope theres no clown with some steel body and dust cloud attacks or something like that...)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:11:21 pm by ___MeRliN___ »
Signature coming *soon* TM

Albany

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 17, 2014, 12:41:29 am »

When learning spells in the library, do I need to do the reaction for each spell on each warlock?

Let's illustrate:
I have 3 warlocks. One of them goes to the library to learn Curse. Do all warlocks know it now, or just that one?

mikael grey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 17, 2014, 09:27:00 am »

Only the Warlock that run the reaction learns the spell. Otherwise it would have been too easy I think.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 17, 2014, 03:22:02 pm »

Given how it works - the reaction creates a boulder, which vaporizes, and the vapor applies a permanent syndrome which allows the unit to perform a new action (the spell) - it may be possible to stack the warlocks together on the workshop and have one of them run the reaction, leading all them to be caught in the effect and learn the spell.

Haven't personally tried that, though, and it is probably intended that each warlock learn the spells individually.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #577 on: November 17, 2014, 04:54:27 pm »

Given how it works - the reaction creates a boulder, which vaporizes, and the vapor applies a permanent syndrome which allows the unit to perform a new action (the spell) - it may be possible to stack the warlocks together on the workshop and have one of them run the reaction, leading all them to be caught in the effect and learn the spell.

Haven't personally tried that, though, and it is probably intended that each warlock learn the spells individually.
No.

The reactions triggers a dfhack script that applies the syndrome to the worker. Other people on/near the workshop are not affected.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 17, 2014, 05:05:25 pm »

Ah, my bad.

Albany

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 19, 2014, 01:16:15 am »

Thanks, guys. I'm at the point where my library's almost finished and I'm going to have to start having each warlock make the rounds.

Then the day of reckoning will come!

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 19, 2014, 03:36:35 pm »

Semi new to masterwork.

Can warlocks learn spells in adventure mode? If so, how?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #581 on: November 25, 2014, 07:18:07 am »

Semi new to masterwork.

Can warlocks learn spells in adventure mode? If so, how?
They cant. In theory they could, if you'd use adv-fort to build the libraries, but that would take way too long.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 28, 2014, 11:49:44 pm »

Is there a large disadvantage to embarking with only a few warlocks? Since there's no way to reproduce, it seems like the optimal embark would be something like 6 warlocks and a skeleton (assuming you can survive with it) or is there some kind of counterbalance so you always end up with a standard number of them through the first two migrant waves or something?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 29, 2014, 12:07:46 am »

Is there a large disadvantage to embarking with only a few warlocks? Since there's no way to reproduce, it seems like the optimal embark would be something like 6 warlocks and a skeleton (assuming you can survive with it) or is there some kind of counterbalance so you always end up with a standard number of them through the first two migrant waves or something?

Main disadvantage is essentially lack of command and control for skeletons. Lots of ghouls can pick of the slack, but they're slow about it since they don't really learn mining very well (if at all, since I don't use them for mining and I'm pretty sure they don't learn it,) and take more to get - meat you need to keep other ghouls alive, which early on you can't afford to use on tryying to call new ones and possibly getting a hostile feral ghoul instead, while skeletons can easily be built as needed from whatever bones are lying around. Meph said at some point there may eventually be a way to get downgraded warlock apprentices but that's a long way off if it's coming at all.

Ideally though yes, you'll want as many as possible and none of them being lycanthropes or vampires (since the werecreatures might kill people and vampires will drink the nearest sleeping source of blood, warlock or not.) Upping your start count can help with this a little bit. May be a pain in the ass but having five or six warlocks is a hell of alot better than one or two.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 29, 2014, 01:11:28 am »

I see. It's unfortunate that there's no real way to increase your warlock population up to a cap (or at least the first two migrant waves getting your warlocks to a certain number). Upping the start count seems a bit unfair so I don't think I'll do that. It's just a shame since I believe the late-game epic spells require the sacrifice of a warlock to activate, and if you get unlucky with your starting seven as well as the migrant waves and end up with only five warlocks total...

I guess I'll just have to keep re rolling the starting 7 until I get 4-5 warlocks. 

On another note, with the 'Basic' premade  load-out for embark, I get an error message saying Ironbone Wraithblades + Magestaffs aren't available. Is that normal, or is something screwed up with my copy of Masterwork?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57